Fruit...be honest

Options
mandabrett
mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
How much do you eat? I know without a doubt that fruit is preventing my fat loss. I had 2 bananas and an apple today. I think I'm just going to rid myself of fruit for a while because I think it's causing more problems than its worth. I want to lose about 5% body fat. These next few days will be rough. Who is with me? I know I am not the only person who struggles with fruit.

Replies

• MiRatlhed
    MiRatlhed Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I love fruit. I mostly eat Berries and apples daily. I do not have any issues with fruit but I do try to stay away from high sugar fruits as much as possible. I know apples are not that low but I love them. Bananas, Pineapple, Mango, Melon....etc. Those I try not to eat too often.

It would be hard to think that is why you are having problems. I viewed your diary. Try getting away from so much ground beef. Try some chicken, turkey, fish...... I think that is why you are having issues. One day you had 16oz of ground beef and you eat that daily it appears. Mix up your animals a bit and you will see success I think.
  • mandabrett
    Options
    Haha. The ground beef is not the norm. I agree I ate a lot of it a few days ago. I definitely need a change in protein source. It's almost gone thank goodness. I cooked a ton at once. If I see another burger patty I could vomit.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I may eat 1 serving every other day....maybe 3-4 pieces a week of an apple or banana, very minimal , I reach for veggies , carrot sticks, celery, turnip sticks, pepper sticks. Starting taking a liking to strawberries lately though which may not be good lol
  • jenfitz
    jenfitz Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I crave raisins! But... I'm staying away from fruit to see if it yields some results for me...I 'll let you know!
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    I usually eat my fruit with my breakfast...grapes or a banana or kiwi or berries and melon. I used to eat fruit in the evenings as a sweet snack before bed, but have cut that out and I don't miss it that much.
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    pretty much sticking to berries these days. most everything else has too much sugar.
  • mandabrett
    Options
    I may eat 1 serving every other day....maybe 3-4 pieces a week of an apple or banana, very minimal , I reach for veggies , carrot sticks, celery, turnip sticks, pepper sticks. Starting taking a liking to strawberries lately though which may not be good lol

I was thinking that every 2-3 days is what I'm going to try for in the future. I think that I need to cut it out for a few days though because I feel like I'm using it to satisfy the cravings. I need to get rid of the craving first thing.
  • Squidgrok
    Squidgrok Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever fruit is in the house although if it would be up to me I'd probably just have berries (my favourite and the least sugary!). I'll have an apple, plum or even a banana- the whole fruit -never cutting it up and storing it. Basically giving myself one fruit a day. I'm not going to turn around and say no don't ever have eat *insert fruit* because I could be doing a lot worse than fruit.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I usually have 2-3 servings per day. Normally cantaloupe, berries, or some kiwi. I haven't had any negative side effects that I've noticed, usually it's a nice refresher.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't eat that much fruit. For some reason i just don't like it. It's cold and tart and sugary..... I just don't care for it. I will eat a piece here and there when I need extra carbs for a workout, but even that is just once a day and not everyday.

I do enjoy blueberries in my greek yogurt and I do love eating cherries. But apples and bananas, etc. I don't care for that much so they are for work out days for me.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I love fruit. Truly, I do.

To be honest, I think it's a fairly crap snack, especially on it's own - I don't know why, but I can DEVOUR a whole bag of grapes, no problem, and can eat apples until I'm totally bloated and feeling like I'm gonna hurl and still feel hungry. IMHO, it's better to eat a tad bit of fat or protein with your carbs - like a few almonds or tablespoon of almond butter with a sliced apple, so it can be savored, and that it quite filling. Or, for a protein boost, a couple tablespoons of water mixed with a scoop of protein powder (if you use it) turns into thick, spread-like sludge that tastes delicious and can easily have apple slices dipped in.

The exception is bananas. Unfrozen, untainted bananas I can only eat a couple and be fine.

I consider fruit more of a dessert thing. Frozen bananas with berries and chocolate (or covered in chocolate... hnnng) or nut butter is divine, any day.
  • jordanna1979
    jordanna1979 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I probably have 3-5 servings of fruit a week, usually in either a smoothie with tons of spinach and good fats or I treat myself to an apple with almond butter as an evening snack once in a while.
  • MiRatlhed
    MiRatlhed Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    IMHO, it's better to eat a tad bit of fat or protein with your carbs - like a few almonds or tablespoon of almond butter with a sliced apple, so it can be savored, and that it quite filling.

Agreed. That is something I did not mention is that I never eat any fruit unless I have a protein source with it. That slows down the process of your body using it and keeps you satisfied longer. Carbs will get devoured very quickly unless you add some protein with it.
  • dwest1976
    dwest1976 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I eat bananas on days with siginificant cardio, otherwise stick to mostly berriers with some apples thrown in.

It doesn't seem right to cut out fruit compeltely on a primal/paleo diet.....goes against the whole hunter/gatherer thing. Otherwise it just seems like Atkins to me. That said, as has been said by many before, whatever works best for you is best for you. Maybe cutting it out will help with weight loss and you can work more back in when you reach your goal and hit maintenance mode!

Good luck with everything.
  • hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't eat that much fruit. For some reason i just don't like it. It's cold and tart and sugary..... I just don't care for it.

Same here. Never been a fruit eater for as long as I can remember. Might have an occasional (once a month or so) banana or apple but that's about it.

I'd much rather eat veggies than fruit.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Apples make me hungry an hour later, even if I eat them with a meal. I try to stick to berries mostly, and other fruits on occasion. I'll eat a banana post-workout, but otherwise I try to steer clear of them due to the carbs (trying to keep mine at 100 or less/day).

And personally, I'm jealous of all your beef. :P
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    How much do you eat? I know without a doubt that fruit is preventing my fat loss. I had 2 bananas and an apple today. I think I'm just going to rid myself of fruit for a while because I think it's causing more problems than its worth. I want to lose about 5% body fat. These next few days will be rough. Who is with me? I know I am not the only person who struggles with fruit.
    Maybe you could just switch to fruit with less sugar? 2 bananas a day is a lot of sugar. Since bananas the highest in sugar, eat those sparklingly. I actually consider bananas as a natural sweetener. I use them in homemade smoothies, yogurt, pancake etc instead of sweetener.
    Eat mor berries! They are much lower in sugar and higher in fibre, which is filling and helps with digestion ?
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I love fruit. I eat a lot of fruit, but I'm also maintaining right now, so its not an issue when it comes to weight loss.

I love grapes, pineapple, apples, oranges, berries...Mmmmm. I"m not a huge banana fan, but I'll eat them once in awhile. And I never eat fruit alone. I pair it with pistacios, or chicken breast, or a pepperoni stick. Fruit never fills me up by itself.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat fruit as it's mostly out of season where I live.In the summer we pick wild blueberries and raspberries.If I eat fruit in the winter it's usually an apple with some nut butter.I eat green apples though as they are not as sweet
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

i don't think this is the case... what's the rest of your diet like? how many cals? there are many variables.

i love fruit and eat about 3 pieces a day.