Is it better to poof?

Options

Replies

• laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    1st date guy, and not last minute exactly but calling to reschedule at 3 for 5 is kind of last minute, and his excuse is because weather is bad--which it is--crazy rain and wind, but still..........
    Grrr!! What a flake!! I'd never cancel cos of the weather..........what's he worried about? His wig blowing off> > :laugh:

My "poofer" originally canceled out first date because he was hungover....but made it up to me the next day by actually coming through and we had a BLAST. I swear, we did. Thennn he canceled our 2nd date also but again, made it up to me by hanging out another time.

I just really. really. really. wish I knew why and I don't know why I can't just say "screw it" and not think about it. I guess because I feel like "maybe if it's something I did, it could be corrected, I wouldn't do/say that again" etc etc.....but I was being myself. If he isn't interested or is more interested in someone else I'd at least like to know and I would be fine with that. It's not like I'm going to blow up in his face if he ever does call me again and say "YOU COWARDLY *kitten* LITTLE B!TCH!" No. But poofing does make me want to say that lol

And him making another profile on the dating website completely blows my mind. I don't understand that at all....
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    1st date guy, and not last minute exactly but calling to reschedule at 3 for 5 is kind of last minute, and his excuse is because weather is bad--which it is--crazy rain and wind, but still..........
    Grrr!! What a flake!! I'd never cancel cos of the weather..........what's he worried about? His wig blowing off> > :laugh:

My "poofer" originally canceled out first date because he was hungover....but made it up to me the next day by actually coming through and we had a BLAST. I swear, we did. Thennn he canceled our 2nd date also but again, made it up to me by hanging out another time.

I just really. really. really. wish I knew why and I don't know why I can't just say "screw it" and not think about it. I guess because I feel like "maybe if it's something I did, it could be corrected, I wouldn't do/say that again" etc etc.....but I was being myself. If he isn't interested or is more interested in someone else I'd at least like to know and I would be fine with that. It's not like I'm going to blow up in his face if he ever does call me again and say "YOU COWARDLY *kitten* LITTLE B!TCH!" No. But poofing does make me want to say that lol

And him making another profile on the dating website completely blows my mind. I don't understand that at all....

oh honey, it sounds like you have been ignoring the signs all along! if someone cancelled on me for being hung-over I would never agree to meeting him. in my opinion that is total disrespect. did you not know we had a date? could u not contain yourself and not get drunk one night out of the year when you knew you had something to do the next day? sorry but it sounds like you have been making too many exceptions to begin with and he thinks he has the upper hand in this situation and you will accommodate him not the other way around. so don't be surprised if he texts u in 2 wks or whenever and wants to hangout because he's bored, he probably thinks he can get away with it.

I have 4 older brothers. they have always told me a man will treat you the way you let them treat you.
  • laurenz2501
    Options
    oh honey, it sounds like you have been ignoring the signs all along! if someone cancelled on me for being hung-over I would never agree to meeting him. in my opinion that is total disrespect. did you not know we had a date? could u not contain yourself and not get drunk one night out of the year when you knew you had something to do the next day? sorry but it sounds like you have been making too many exceptions to begin with and he thinks he has the upper hand in this situation and you will accommodate him not the other way around. so don't be surprised if he texts u in 2 wks or whenever and wants to hangout because he's bored, he probably thinks he can get away with it.

I have 4 older brothers. they have always told me a man will treat you the way you let them treat you.

Well, I was actually a little hungover too, so going out for drinks wasn't sounding like a good idea to me either..although I was still disappointed..BUT I got up, took a shower and took some advil, ate breakfast and got ready to go! But I agree with "could u not contain yourself and not get drunk one night out of the year when you knew you had something to do the next day?" That's exactly what I was thinking...Now that I look at the big picture, it has been wrong all along. I justified him canceling the first date by us having such a good time the next day. I justified him canceling the 2nd date originally because when he did come and my friends were there, he even told them about why he canceled and talked to them about it (long story I won't get into unless private messaged), so I figured it must have been true. My friend even texted me while we were at the bar "I guess he wasn't lying"...Now I realize he probably canceled when something better came along and didn't cancel when he had nothing better to do. You're right. Yeah, I'm glad I posted this on here now. Some of my friends are basically like "I don't get it" but you guys have some good insight! :flowerforyou: Thank you!
  • laurenz2501
    Options
    a man will treat you the way you let them treat you.

I am learning this more and more as I go. I'm HORRIBLE at saying "no" to people. I'm a people-pleaser. That needs to be adjusted!!
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I would rather be poofed upon prior to meeting than after we have met and attempted to establish some sort of connection. Because at that point I have nothing invested.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options

Well, I was actually a little hungover too, so going out for drinks wasn't sounding like a good idea to me either..although I was still disappointed..BUT I got up, took a shower and took some advil, ate breakfast and got ready to go! But I agree with "could u not contain yourself and not get drunk one night out of the year when you knew you had something to do the next day?" That's exactly what I was thinking...Now that I look at the big picture, it has been wrong all along. I justified him canceling the first date by us having such a good time the next day. I justified him canceling the 2nd date originally because when he did come and my friends were there, he even told them about why he canceled and talked to them about it (long story I won't get into unless private messaged), so I figured it must have been true. My friend even texted me while we were at the bar "I guess he wasn't lying"...Now I realize he probably canceled when something better came along and didn't cancel when he had nothing better to do. You're right. Yeah, I'm glad I posted this on here now. Some of my friends are basically like "I don't get it" but you guys have some good insight! :flowerforyou: Thank you!

Nola hit it bang on. I have been on COUNTLESS dates and what I have learned is cancelling/postponing is NOT something I will put up with any longer, especially if he tells you he is hungover, has something better to do, etc. I made one exception for a guy who got called away to work. men will try to get away with whatever they can! (women too!) Stand up for yourself - show you are full of self worth, self esteem, and have healthy boundaries. It will help you weed thru the flakes quicker!!

I had a guy text me all day up until about noon the day of our first date... then he vanished and I ended up going out with my friends. The next day I got a text apologizing that he decided to go out with his friend instead. REALLY? Some women would put up with that and still meet him, he learned quickly I was not that girl.

I had another guy stand me up for our first date, but after I gave him a second chance... it was nothing but him cancelling our plans, even like 1 hour before... then he dumped me via text.

interested men, with character, aren't that flakey.. he has given you enough red flags IMO.... and then the poofing! please don't give him another chance, when like Nola says, shows up in 2 weeks time.
  • kimad
    Options
    "I don't get it"

read 'he's just not that into you' a guy who is in to you will never leave you wondering this......
  • laurenz2501
    Options

Nola hit it bang on. I have been on COUNTLESS dates and what I have learned is cancelling/postponing is NOT something I will put up with any longer, especially if he tells you he is hungover, has something better to do, etc. I made one exception for a guy who got called away to work. men will try to get away with whatever they can! (women too!) Stand up for yourself - show you are full of self worth, self esteem, and have healthy boundaries. It will help you weed thru the flakes quicker!!

I had a guy text me all day up until about noon the day of our first date... then he vanished and I ended up going out with my friends. The next day I got a text apologizing that he decided to go out with his friend instead. REALLY? Some women would put up with that and still meet him, he learned quickly I was not that girl.

I had another guy stand me up for our first date, but after I gave him a second chance... it was nothing but him cancelling our plans, even like 1 hour before... then he dumped me via text.

interested men, with character, aren't that flakey.. he has given you enough red flags IMO.... and then the poofing! please don't give him another chance, when like Nola says, shows up in 2 weeks time.

Yes she did hit it bang on. And you're very right also! Canceling a date an hour beforehand? How do they not understand that it takes time for us to "get ready"? We don't just throw on clothes and walk out the door. I even painted my nails for the 2nd date he canceled! AND I told my mom I couldn't see her that day because I had a date. It's seriously a horrendous thing to do. In a way I am glad he (and all of you) have shown me the light. I definitely learned not to put up with that crap, but I take it as a lesson. And you're right, a guy who is into me won't leave me wondering. The last month of wondering, overanalyzing and questioning was actually stressful! Even though I was sad and disappointed at first, I'm definitely less stressed now. Thanks so much everyone! I won't give him another chance. Don't worry. And he's still on the dating website CONSTANTLY "online now", probably terrorizing away leaving a trail of questions and bitter women in his wake like a damn tornado.

p.s. I have read the book "He's Just Not That Into You"...twice...and watched the movie a thousand times lol
  • kimad
    Options

Yes she did hit it bang on. And you're very right also! Canceling a date an hour beforehand? How do they not understand that it takes time for us to "get ready"? We don't just throw on clothes and walk out the door. I even painted my nails for the 2nd date he canceled! AND I told my mom I couldn't see her that day because I had a date. It's seriously a horrendous thing to do. In a way I am glad he (and all of you) have shown me the light. I definitely learned not to put up with that crap, but I take it as a lesson. And you're right, a guy who is into me won't leave me wondering. The last month of wondering, overanalyzing and questioning was actually stressful! Even though I was sad and disappointed at first, I'm definitely less stressed now. Thanks so much everyone! I won't give him another chance. Don't worry. And he's still on the dating website CONSTANTLY "online now", probably terrorizing away leaving a trail of questions and bitter women in his wake like a damn tornado.

p.s. I have read the book "He's Just Not That Into You"...twice...and watched the movie a thousand times lol

I know we don't know each other and you don't know my dating history but.... Just when I think I've seen it all, I see one thing new. It's stressful to date sometimes but stay true to you... Put yourself first and maintain your life and it makes it easier. I have been seeing a guy for about 1.5 months now ( I met him in march but he travelled for 2 months) and while I have no idea what my future holds with him he makes my life peaceful, enjoyable and adds to it. I'm never left wondering -- does he likes me, what did that mean, I never over analyze or worry. I was unsure of him at first but chose to live in the moment and its worked extremely well for me. He seems fairly grounded too. That stuff ( stress worry over analyzing) isn't normal and IMO your gut telling you to move on :). I have a Really good email I may send you thru MFP about 'I don't know' thoughts.

Good for you!!! Dating is hard but you can learn alot about yourself and grow tremendously!! But put yourself first.
  • kimad
    Options
    This is that email. Long read but good...

Why Isn't He Into Me?

Let's deal with the big question: "Does he
    like me or doesn't he?"

It's something that women the world over get
    tied up in KNOTS about.

Try this little scenario on for size and
    familiarity: you meet a guy. You feel that spark.
    You get those excited butterflies in your belly
    that you get when you meet A Potential Somebody.
    There's definite flirting.

... He winds up kissing you.

Then: you don't hear from him for a week or
    two.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

Does it mean he needs a little nudge? Does it
    mean he needs some encouragement? Does it mean you
    should call him?

If you are having to wonder about why he hasn't
    called you - or worse, make up excuses for him (he
    didn't know your last name/you didn't give him
    your number/his life is just really busy right
    now/etc) - then your answer is staring you right
    in the face: HE IS JUST NOT READY FOR A
    RELATIONSHIP.

Sure, he might have had a really busy week at
    work. He might have lost your number. He might have
    had a grandmother die and have to leave town for the
    funeral.

But if you were the girl that really pushed his
    attraction buttons, he would make time to call you.

No Matter What.

So: no, you should NOT call him. If he really
    likes you, HE will call YOU.

When men really like women, they are at LEAST
    as resourceful as YOU are when you like a guy!

Most women would conclude, should they find
    themselves in the situation of Example Woman, that
    he's 'just scared.' He's intimidated by her
    beauty. He's just coming out of a really ugly
    breakup. His career is sucking up ALL his time
    right now.

She should just give him some space and let him
    know she's there when he's ready.

The ACTUAL conclusion is this: if he's not
    calling, then IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MUCH OF A
    'SPARK' THERE WAS. It doesn't matter how 'into
    you' he seemed to be at the time. It doesn't even
    matter if he's kissed you.

If he's really into you, NOTHING will get in
    his way of tracking you down and being with you.

Here's a home truth that most women don't
    understand (or don't WANT to understand): men
    don't actually send mixed messages.

We often THINK they do. We get all tied up in
    knots because we think they're so complex.

"Why would he pull with one hand and push with
    the other?" we wonder. "It doesn't make any sense.
    Men are so complex!"

It's actually very simple. Those 'mixed
    messages' mean that he's NOT FEELING THE SPARK.
    If he was interested, believe me, you
    wouldn't have to be wondering whether he was or
    not!

But we don't want to consider this fact. We
    want this guy to be GOOD. We want this guy to turn
    out to be just as good as we hoped he would be,
    actually.

Here's my first tip for being a first-class Man
    Decipherer: don't pay attention to what he's
    SAYING. Pay attention to how he's ACTING.

It's easy enough to overanalyze words ... less so
    ACTIONS.

Here are a few examples of some of the stuff I
    hear women asking, over and over again:

- "Does it mean he's into me if he says, 'I
    really like you but I just really need to focus on
    my career at the moment?'"

- "What does it mean when he says, 'I love you
    but I'm not IN LOVE with you?'"

- "Why did he kiss me last time we hung out but
    now I haven't heard from him for a couple weeks ...
    except I got a text message last night saying,
    'What are you up to?'"

All of these questions have the same answer.
    And (if you can't guess it already), that answer
    is, "I'm really not feeling that commitment rush ...
    but I'm too scared to be straight up about it. And
    maybe I don't want to burn any bridges, either. So
    I'll SAY that I'm interested, but really, if you
    want to know the TRUTH, just look at how I'm
    acting."

I say this as kindly as possible, but I say it
    nonetheless: if you want to know how he REALLY
    feels about you, pay attention to what he's DOING,
    not what he's SAYING.

And one other thing: pay attention to how he's
    acting RIGHT NOW, not how he acted 2 weeks ago.

Take the "he kissed me last time he saw me, but
    that was 2 weeks ago and I've barely heard from
    him since then" scenario as an example.

WHO CARES if he kissed you the last time he saw
    you, if now he's keeping his distance? How can
    that possibly mean, 'I'm absolutely wild about you
    and I want to be with you?'

You know what that behavior says to me? It says
    he kissed you because he felt like it at the time,
    and now he's changed his mind, and he doesn't know
    how to be straight with you.

So, he's saying nice things to you and keeping
    the BARE MINIMUM of contact with you so that you
    don't get upset, think he's an a**hole, cry, and
    'make a scene' ...

... but all the while, he's hoping like mad that
    you get the hint.

What about if he says he really likes you, but
    he's 'too busy for a relationship', or 'not ready
    for a relationship'?

Please. It means he's too busy for a
    relationship WITH YOU. He's not ready for a
    relationship WITH YOU. When a man meets a woman
    he's really into, it doesn't matter how busy he is
    - he MAKES the time to see her. And to see her as
    much as he possibly can.

If you're sick of being the one that gets dumped
    and want to be the one he's really into, the one
    he wants to put first and keep, check out this video:

If you feel like you're getting 'mixed
    messages', the harsh truth is that it means that
    you should cut your losses, and move on to
    somebody who will really, truly appreciate you for
    the great gal you are.

And of course, finding the Right Someone for
    you is way easier when you've got all the tools at
    hand to create GENUINE ATTRACTION with someone
    when you want to.

It's basically a SOCIAL SCIENCE ... emphasis on
    the SCIENCE.

Yes, some people are born popular, but that
    doesn't change the fact that it is actually a
    LEARNABLE SKILL.

(That means that, given the right information,
    YOU can actually LEARN how to make yourself
    irresistibly attractive to all men ... or, the RIGHT
    man!)

If that's something you're interested in - and
    I hope it is - then you should check out this
    video right now:

NO more disappointing men. You can't afford to waste
    any more time on making excuses for why you aren't
    getting what you want.

Being pushy and assertive will probably work very
    well in a competitive job market.

However ...

... THIS DOESN'T WORK WHEN IT COMES TO MEN AND
    DATING.

When it comes to men and dating, take
    everything you've been taught about the 'right
    attitude to have', and turn it on its head.

Become a pessimist. Expect that, when he
    doesn't call, it means he's not interested. EXPECT
    THE WORST!!

Once you get your head around this viewpoint,
    it's actually quite empowering. You no longer need
    to waste any time and energy 'helping him' to ask
    you out, waiting around for him to notice you, or
    trying to 'figure out what's happening'.

All you have to do is become a REALIST, and see
    the truth for what it really is: that he's
    actually been telling you the truth ALL ALONG.
    He's just doing it with his ACTIONS, not his
    WORDS.

What this means for you:

- Don't help him to ask you out. You can
    encourage him, but DON'T DO IT FOR HIM. Examples
    of this: "I've got 2 free tickets to a concert."
    Or, "Gee, I'd sure like to go out for a drink with
    someone tonight. What a shame I've got nobody to
    go with. (heavy pause.)" Or, "Why don't you ask me
    out for coffee and we can get to know each other?"

- If he is interested in you, not only will he
    do all the work, but he actually WANTS TO. I've
    said it before and I'll say it again: men like to
    pursue. They like to see if they can catch you. If
    he wants you, he will try to get you. If he
    doesn't, he won't. If you find yourself having to
    do all the work, he's not interested in you.

- There is no such thing as a mixed message. A
    'mixed message' IS your answer. A mixed message is
    him, stating loud and clear, "I'm sorry, but I'm
    not really all that interested in you."
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% Kim!

Regarding this:

This is interesting to read:

"I am saying they would LIKE it [men being asked out by a woman] but not that you SHOULD [ask a man out].

Most women say that they would LIKE a man who does whatever you want all day long; but they wouldn't respect him, because they'd know he was a pushover and that they could do better. They'd leave him after a week.

Men say they want women to approach, because it makes life easier for them. But in the end, they won't be able to respect themselves knowing that you had to do the work for them, and they will know in the back of their minds that if they just push through their fears of approaching, they could get a better girl. This is a bad foundation for a relationship."
    - The Rules Revisited
  • kimad
    Options
    I agree 100% Kim!

Regarding this:

"I am saying they would LIKE it [men being asked out by a woman] but not that you SHOULD [ask a man out].

Most women say that they would LIKE a man who does whatever you want all day long; but they wouldn't respect him, because they'd know he was a pushover and that they could do better. They'd leave him after a week.

Men say they want women to approach, because it makes life easier for them. But in the end, they won't be able to respect themselves knowing that you had to do the work for them, and they will know in the back of their minds that if they just push through their fears of approaching, they could get a better girl. This is a bad foundation for a relationship."
    - The Rules Revisited

Who knows?!? lol

I am kind of at the point that I will go on the first date, and the man can approach me for the 2nd, 3rd, etc. With Asia, I think we are somewhat past that. I ask him to come hang out, or he asks me to hang out... doesn't seem to be an issue for us. But we have been dating almost 2 months now ...

ETA: that being said, if there was a time that I was asking and he was declining most of the time (happened with my gambling ex of 9 months) I would quit asking, I would take a huge step back, and he could re-pursue me... but chances are if you get to that point they may have lost interest? but I am no longer fighting for a man who clearly isn't interested in me.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    a man will treat you the way you let them treat you.

I am learning this more and more as I go. I'm HORRIBLE at saying "no" to people. I'm a people-pleaser. That needs to be adjusted!!

That's me, too..
    but chances are if you get to that point they may have lost interest? but I am no longer fighting for a man who clearly isn't interested in me.

This is a lesson I'm trying so hard to learn :ohwell:
  • christine24t
    Options
    With Asia, I think we are somewhat past that. I ask him to come hang out, or he asks me to hang out... doesn't seem to be an issue for us. But we have been dating almost 2 months now ...

Oh yea when you're dating dating it's different. I think this is talking more about the first initial meeting.

I used to be like this but sometime a couple years ago I just stopped giving a *kitten* and it's been awesome now!
  • kimad
    Options
    With Asia, I think we are somewhat past that. I ask him to come hang out, or he asks me to hang out... doesn't seem to be an issue for us. But we have been dating almost 2 months now ...
    Oh yea when you're dating dating it's different. I think this is talking more about the first initial meeting.

Yeah I would say it was speaking more for the first little while until something more 'regular' is established... but if you run into troubles I think it could re-apply! lol

I used to be like this but sometime a couple years ago I just stopped giving a *kitten* and it's been awesome now!

I have learned this the hard way as well. It's not so much that I don't give a *kitten* now, but I have set myself healthy boundaries (for life and for dating) and if you don't fit inside those, then buh bye! I have also learned that it's ok for a man to not fulfill my check list, and if he doesn't I don't need to fit a square in a circle, I can move on...
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% Kim!

Regarding this:

- The Rules Revisited

yeah. I guess all the success Jen and I have had is a total fluke. We're really just desperate losers and men don't respect us.
  • Daisy_Cutter_
    Daisy_Cutter_ Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% Kim!

Regarding this:

- The Rules Revisited

I think the above is just complete... 100% rubbish. Totally false and was written to sell something... bad advice for real-world dating. Might work in Never-never Land.
    yeah. I guess all the success Jen and I have had is a total fluke. We're really just desperate losers and men don't respect us.

Kits.... don't forget to lump me in with you and Jen. LOL
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

Kits.... don't forget to lump me in with you and Jen. LOL

And, if I have success with my crush... then me, too.
  • kimad
    Options
    What I was trying to get at by posting the article was that if you must sit around and worry about the man's every word, say things like 'I don't get it' or 'oh he is just busy right now', etc. that you are missing the message that he just isn't that into you... that's what I took from the email.. I wasn't caught up on who asked who out, that's personal preference.

Eta: I realize you were just referencing the one quoted part
  • christine24t
    Options
    I agree 100% Kim!

Regarding this:

- The Rules Revisited

I don't necessarily believe the quote I posted but it is an interesting thought.