Protein Sources

Replies

• moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Godsend of a thread, especially as I'm now trying to gain muscle while attempting to minimise fat gain at the same time.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Thanks! I use a whey-shake-thang on workout days, but on non-workout days it's sometimes a struggle to get my protein (I'm lacto-ovo-veg with occasional fish). This list is helpful.
  • perrymick
    perrymick Posts: 79 Member
    Love this group any info I need is always just a couple of links away.

Thanks.
  • Awesome! Thanks for this Sara. I always have trouble hitting my protein goals. A lot of this stuff is going on the shopping list for the weekend.:happy:
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    i don't know how i haven't seen this post before. I am always struggling to meet my protein goals. Thanks Sara!
  • MizzEngelChen
    MizzEngelChen Posts: 71 Member
    I am looking for more "low calorie" vegan protein sources. Sadly, I found most are quite unrealistic. I mean, who's gonna eat half a kilo of mushrooms or spinach? It seems almost impossible to hit the protein goal while staying within the calorie limit unless relying on protein powder. =o/
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I am looking for more "low calorie" vegan protein sources. Sadly, I found most are quite unrealistic. I mean, who's gonna eat half a kilo of mushrooms or spinach? It seems almost impossible to hit the protein goal while staying within the calorie limit unless relying on protein powder. =o/

Seitan is a very good alternative.
  • MGreensides
    MGreensides Posts: 173 Member
    Tagging cus I want to share this with my running group. Thanks Sara!!!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Tagging -- this is exactly what I've been looking for.
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    tagging for later.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    love this list. thank you.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Bump
  • coccodrillo72
    coccodrillo72 Posts: 94 Member

Seitan is a very good alternative.

I eat 150-180g of protein daily on a vegan diet, without using protein powders, bars and so on.

Currently hemp-fu is my favorite protein source. It's like tofu but made with hemp seeds, and hemp is great: is one of the few complete vegan protein source available. Also it is low in fat and high in fiber.

As you probably know almost all vegan protein sources are low in one or more amino acids and that limits protein synthesis. That is why you have to combine different protein sources each day: rice and peas, pasta and beans and so on. Up until a few years ago it was recommended to combine different protein sources during each meal but new data seem to suggest that it should be enough to eat a variety of different protein sources during the course of the day. Still, I'd rather have a balanced meal and many traditional recipes already have the perfect protein balance. Besides you never know what you will have on your next meal :-)

Seitan, as Sarah suggested, is a good alternative (and another favorite of mine), just remember that wheat seitan is not a complete source (is low in lisin), so it should be paired with another protein source - typically with legumes. Or, get hemp seitan, which typically has a 10-15% of hemp seeds in it.

Also adding flaxseed to your smoothies and nutritional yeast to your dips and dressing helps to increase your protein intake.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Great ideas, everyone! Thanks.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    bump
  • blupanda12
    blupanda12 Posts: 54 Member
    tagging for later.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Had just been wondering about that - awesome resource, thanks!
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Half a kilo of mushroom blends down really quite small, I often add a couple of eggs and micro for a sort of weird frittata. If you don't eat eggs you could make a soup. I add chopped mushrooms to almost everthing, but blended is the only way to eat 400g.
    I made with some mixed beans once, and fried them up like little burgers. Cheaper than the shop bought tofu burgers too.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Thanks for the list!
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    bump for info :)

Thank you!