Need advice on home gym equipment

Options
sundaywishes
sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
Hi all, this is my first post in this group, but I have been lurking for quite some time. I’d appreciate it if I could get some advice on home gym equipment, specifically a bench with squatting capabilities. My fiancé is fine with getting a cheaper, beginner bench/rack and then upgrading as we progress, but I’d rather spend just a little bit more money and get something that we can use now and then grown into. These are three that I have narrowed it down to, in order of cheapest to most expensive. I’ve read through all the reviews of each product and I feel like I’m stuck between the second and third choices. I think that the second would be adequate, but the third has a bit higher weight capacity and seems like it is better constructed. However, I don’t want to spend more money just to spend more money. I know my fiancé will say that the first (cheapest) choice is fine for us now, but I’d feel better if we went with at least the second choice. I’m including the first one just in case I can’t twist his arm enough to go with the second or third choice. I’d really appreciate input on these products (or if anyone knows of a better product, preferably at or under the highest price of $320). Thanks =)

http://www.amazon.com/Marcy-Diamond-Mid-Size-Bench/dp/B0041GMVL0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_34

^cheapest, but only one 5-star review.

http://www.amazon.com/Marcy-Diamond-Olympic-Surge-Bench/dp/B003LQSXSG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_21

^slightly more expensive, but has 36 reviews, with only 2 one and two-star reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/XMark-XM-4424-International-Preacher-Attachment/dp/B004OVLS9I/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_31

^most expensive, with 9 reviews, 5 are five-star and 4 are four-star. Can hold the most amount of weight and seems like the best constructed and longest lasting.

Thanks again!

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I don't see how you would use any of those for squats.
  • sundaywishes
    Options
    @fire_rock -- They all have catches on the backside for racking. If you know of any better equipment, please let me know. I am new to buying gym equipment, which is why I'm asking for advice.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I don't see how you would use any of those for squats.

Me either.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    @fire_rock -- They all have catches on the backside for racking. If you know of any better equipment, please let me know. I am new to buying gym equipment, which is why I'm asking for advice.

You should not be squatting anything up in the heavy range without safety bars. If you are going to be laying down some money, an actual squat rack would be much better. You can use a bench in the squat rack, assuming the safety bars are adjustable, for benching.

Do you have room for a power cage?
  • olsondre
    olsondre Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I would recommend squat stand along with a bench. That will be versatile, not clunky space wise and far more useful for your lifting goals. It could be a bit more costly upfront though

Examples here - http://www.roguefitness.com/strength-equipment/squat-stands.php

Though I am sure you can find more inexpensive models from other companies or used on craigslist
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I would recommend squat stand along with a bench. That will be versatile, not clunky space wise and far more useful for your lifting goals. It could be a bit more costly upfront though

Though I am sure you can find more inexpensive models from other companies or used on craigslist

I would only recommend the ones with safety bars.
  • olsondre
    olsondre Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I would only recommend the ones with safety bars.

Yes, definitely this
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    I would echo every Sara said.

And the only way I see you getting something sufficient while staying in your $300 budget is to find something used on Craigslist.
  • sundaywishes
    Options

You should not be squatting anything up in the heavy range without safety bars. If you are going to be laying down some money, an actual squat rack would be much better. You can use a bench in the squat rack, assuming the safety bars are adjustable, for benching.

Thanks, Sara, for the response. I thought having a spotter would allow for these to work well, but if there is a safety concern, I definitely want to address that. I don't want to spend more than ~$300 on a rack, especially if it doesn't include an adjustable bench. I'd really want to spend less than that if it doesn't include a bench, but I know these things aren't cheap. My fiance doesn't even want us to spend that much. I still need to buy a bar, plates, mats, etc.

I would be setting this up in my garage, so I would have room for a cage, but all the cages I found that seemed to be good enough quality were way out of my price range, which is why I didn't include any in this post.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Thanks, Sara, for the response. I thought having a spotter would allow for these to work well, but if there is a safety concern, I definitely want to address that. I don't want to spend more than ~$300 on a rack, especially if it doesn't include an adjustable bench. I'd really want to spend less than that if it doesn't include a bench, but I know these things aren't cheap. My fiance doesn't even want us to spend that much. I still need to buy a bar, plates, mats, etc.

I would be setting this up in my garage, so I would have room for a cage, but all the cages I found that seemed to be good enough quality were way out of my price range, which is why I didn't include any in this post.

Not sure if you are in the US, but craigslist is a good resource to find used gym equipment - you can often get good deals that way.

Not sure of the quality, but you can get power cages for a little more than $300 new on Amazon also. If it were me, I would go for a slightly lower quality power cage over a higher quality bench set that did not include safety bars.
  • sundaywishes
    Options

Thanks for the site.

Also, I've been searching on craigslist and it seems like no one in my area likes to squat =/ I really want to get this home gym set up and I've been looking for quite some time. Just getting restless I suppose.
  • sundaywishes
    Options

Not sure if you are in the US, but craigslist is a good resource to find used gym equipment - you can often get good deals that way.

Not sure of the quality, but you can get power cages for a little more than $300 new on Amazon also. If it were me, I would go for a slightly lower quality power cage over a higher quality bench set that did not include safety bars.

Yup, in the US, see previous comment for craigslist. I'll go back onto amazon to see about the power cages. I really appreciate the input. Now just to start twisting my man's arm.....
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Depends. Are you planning on ever bench pressing on your own without a knowledgable spotter?

If so, get a power cage and set the bars above your throat (if you're emotionally attached to your throat and don't want to injure it ... people die benching in their garage because their adrenaline overrides their better judgment, just FYI).

If you have 300 bucks to spend (I'm assuming because of your most expensive choice) and the space for it, get something like this and put a bench in it:

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Squat-Deadlift-Bench-Racks/dp/B004UMM4QC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363793324&sr=8-2&keywords=power+rack

If you're wanting to do something like Starting Strength or Stronglifts, I'd recommend against anything without a safety bar also. If you're planning on progressing much slower, you might get away with something cheaper, but if you already know you're going to be lifting for a long time to come, then why skimp?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I would honestly just continuously search craigslist for good equipment to pop up.

You have the right thinking of buying the right equipment instead of buying crap, then having to buy again in a couple of years.

I think the bare minimums for a home gym are a squat rack (doesn't have to be a cage if you have spotters), a bench, olympic barbell + plates. I managed to find all of that on CL for about 200 dollars. Just be patient.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    Yup, in the US, see previous comment for craigslist. I'll go back onto amazon to see about the power cages. I really appreciate the input. Now just to start twisting my man's arm.....

You"ll probably get more bang for you buck with a sumo rack: http://www.amazon.com/TDS-C-92565-SPL-Sumo-Rack-Special/dp/B004TMMA26/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You"ll probably get more bang for you buck with a sumo rack: http://www.amazon.com/TDS-C-92565-SPL-Sumo-Rack-Special/dp/B004TMMA26/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1

I saw that one - looks good - actually thinking of it for myself as the safety bars are adjustable.
  • sundaywishes
    Options
    Thanks guys for your posts. At the risk of sounding completely stupid here, how do you squat and bench in a cage or using a sumo rack? I haven't ever used those before and I'm trying to visualize it....

And while craiglist may be my best bet price wise, I'm getting really impatient trying to find things (been looking for a few months and I really want to just start lifting again already), plus I would have to find someone to help me transport the equipment. I know you guys can't help with that, I'm just frustrated by it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thanks guys for your posts. At the risk of sounding completely stupid here, how do you squat and bench in a cage or using a sumo rack? I haven't ever used those before and I'm trying to visualize it....

And while craiglist may be my best bet price wise, I'm getting really impatient trying to find things (been looking for a few months and I really want to just start lifting again already), plus I would have to find someone to help me transport the equipment. I know you guys can't help with that, I'm just frustrated by it.

You just set the safely bars at the right level and just do the squats or bench in them. For the sumo rack you would need to ensure you are positioned correctly so you are squatting with the bar over the safety rails.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Depends. Are you planning on ever bench pressing on your own without a knowledgable spotter?

If so, get a power cage and set the bars above your throat (if you're emotionally attached to your throat and don't want to injure it ... people die benching in their garage because their adrenaline overrides their better judgment, just FYI).

If you have 300 bucks to spend (I'm assuming because of your most expensive choice) and the space for it, get something like this and put a bench in it:

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Squat-Deadlift-Bench-Racks/dp/B004UMM4QC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363793324&sr=8-2&keywords=power+rack

If you're wanting to do something like Starting Strength or Stronglifts, I'd recommend against anything without a safety bar also. If you're planning on progressing much slower, you might get away with something cheaper, but if you already know you're going to be lifting for a long time to come, then why skimp?

^^that one is a good deal - it's actually on sale at the moment - $260. Hmmm...maybe doing some shopping myself!
  • sundaywishes
    Options

^^that one is a good deal - it's actually on sale at the moment - $260. Hmmm...maybe doing some shopping myself!

Yeah, I got really excited when I saw that one, and then saw that it's another $100 for shipping =( Still seems to be the best deal though--the sumo racks are way more than that when you factor in shipping. That may be the one I end up going with....just gotta find a decent deal on a bench, bar, and weights. Maybe craigslist will help me out there.
This discussion has been closed.