Need advice on home gym equipment

Options
2»

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for your posts. At the risk of sounding completely stupid here, how do you squat and bench in a cage or using a sumo rack? I haven't ever used those before and I'm trying to visualize it....

Bench Press is done like this:

df820_bench_press_large.jpg

Go look at some squat videos in the form check thread for how to use one for squats
  • sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Think I may have found a winner....that cage is $360 with shipping, but no bench, which I need. This is $390 with a bench, plus pull up bar and dip station...

http://www.wayfair.com/Marcy-Pro-Power-Rack-and-Bench-PM-3800-MCY1080.html
  • sundaywishes
    Options
    Thanks guys for your posts. At the risk of sounding completely stupid here, how do you squat and bench in a cage or using a sumo rack? I haven't ever used those before and I'm trying to visualize it....

Bench Press is done like this:

df820_bench_press_large.jpg

Go look at some squat videos in the form check thread for how to use one for squats

Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Think I may have found a winner....that cage is $360 with shipping, but no bench, which I need. This is $390 with a bench, plus pull up bar and dip station...

http://www.wayfair.com/Marcy-Pro-Power-Rack-and-Bench-PM-3800-MCY1080.html

Nice find. I should have paid attention to the shipping costs on the other one.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    If I had room for only one thing, it would be a cage (assuming the bar and weights don't count).
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I got really excited when I saw that one, and then saw that it's another $100 for shipping =( Still seems to be the best deal though--the sumo racks are way more than that when you factor in shipping. That may be the one I end up going with....just gotta find a decent deal on a bench, bar, and weights. Maybe craigslist will help me out there.

See if you can find one locally. Do y'all have a Play It Again Sports where you live? I got my lifting equipment at Play It Again Sports and am super happy with it.

That's a nice one too!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I absolutely (still) love the TDS cage I bought from New York Barbell: http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92563.html ~$330. I bought mine 10+ years ago, but it looks just like the one in the pic.
  • sundaywishes
    Options
    Yeah, I got really excited when I saw that one, and then saw that it's another $100 for shipping =( Still seems to be the best deal though--the sumo racks are way more than that when you factor in shipping. That may be the one I end up going with....just gotta find a decent deal on a bench, bar, and weights. Maybe craigslist will help me out there.

See if you can find one locally. Do y'all have a Play It Again Sports where you live? I got my lifting equipment at Play It Again Sports and am super happy with it.

That's a nice one too!

Closest one is a bit far, plus it would be a real pain in the *kitten* to find a truck to borrow to transport it. Thank you for the suggestion, though!

I think the wayfair website one is the best price I've seen for the equipment so far, but my fiance thinks it's a waste of money and that a regular rack will suffice. I'm trying to convince him otherwise. Silly "we make decisions together" rule :wink:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

That's a nice one too!

Closest one is a bit far, plus it would be a real pain in the *kitten* to find a truck to borrow to transport it. Thank you for the suggestion, though!

I think the wayfair website one is the best price I've seen for the equipment so far, but my fiance thinks it's a waste of money and that a regular rack will suffice. I'm trying to convince him otherwise. Silly "we make decisions together" rule :wink:

Play the 'do you want me to risk hurting myself' card..:wink:
  • sundaywishes
    Options

That's a nice one too!

Play the 'do you want me to risk hurting myself' card..:wink:

I tried! lol. He said that he would be spotting me so I would be fine (hmmmm, Mister, what about when you lift?? You think I'll be able to properly spot you?...gotta remember to say that later lol). I also don't think he understands that I want to actually be strong, and not "strong for a girl", which means I hope to one day have some serious weight on the bar. We only spoke about it briefly during our lunch break, so when we get home I'm gonna lay it on thiiiiiiick. :happy: Wish me luck!
  • sundaywishes
    Options
    I absolutely (still) love the TDS cage I bought from New York Barbell: http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92563.html ~$330. I bought mine 10+ years ago, but it looks just like the one in the pic.

That's a viable option, as long as I can find a good bench for $60 or under. Thanks!
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Yay!
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Posting to add to my history.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Looks good to me! I go to the gym to use the power cage for Stronglifts. Its so much easier than always having to worry about finding a spotter.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

So...how do you like it so far?
This discussion has been closed.