Replies

• SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    I wish this could be required reading for MFP users.
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I really needed that post today.

I was discussing the Dove ad with a friend and thinking of how the old one celebrated the different bodies women had - and the new one, I know its message is meant to convey that others might not see the flaws that we perceive in our own mirrors, but all I could do was think, "yeah, right" and gaze sadly at my own podge/

I read a couple of success stories on MFP every day for inspiration and I am so happy for those who've been able to make progress on their fitness goals, but I also have to fight being dispirited at my own progress being so slow. After over a year a half on MFP I find I have been totally off-base on figuring out at what level to peg my calories, what to eat, what to avoid : this group has given me fresh hope after a long time.

ETA : sheepish admission. I read PriceK01's post upthread and kept nodding at what was said, then I saw the ticker and I went, "wow, that's a great loss, look at me" and had to catch myself from falling into that trap again
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    excellent post

also, I think there's a lot of peer pressure on sites like this to conform to other people's definitions of success. it's easy to get the impression that, for example, if you're not aspiring to have 6-pack abs, you're selling yourself short or you're not committed enough. Or if you're not aspiring to run marathons, or if you're not aspiring to win powerlifting tournaments.... etc etc.... your goals need to be based on what YOU want, not what others think you should want, and it also should be based on what's healthy and realistic for your body type. (by body type I mean height and build... e.g. I'm short and have a large frame, there is no way I'm ever going to look like a catwalk supermodel, no matter what, so there's no point me having that as my goal)

Also, focus on what you can do not what you look like. Fit and healthy looks good on every body type, and you don't have to be perfect to look good. This article is fantastic: http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/a-lion-in-iron-ladies-measurements-dont-matter/
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Great thread and why I try to focus on my own person goals and not looking like someone else.

Hell, I'd love to look like Hugh Jackman. But that probably isn't in the cards for me, and that's fine. I'll just try to be the best "me" that I can be.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Man, I need to brush up on my stalking skills. I don't know how I missed this when you posted it. This is great! Makes me feel better about not freaking out over my progress, or lack thereof. :icecreamforyou:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    What a great thread to revisit nearly a year later. Thanks, Sara! :drinker: :heart:
  • MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,619 Member
    Options
    Great post! ::drinker:
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    A post worth revisiting one year later. :flowerforyou:
  • engian
    engian Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Great post, excellent philosophy.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I have to constantly remind myself to run my own race. Just this morning I was feeling a little down about my slow losses. But I have lost, plan to keep doing so, and know I will hit my goal eventually. I am just living my life, too, while doing it.
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    What an excellent post!

I used to have a friend who was an old school professional photographer. He could take 10lb off of me with the right angle and light. The power of clever posing and good lighting!