Lifting without a spotter

Options
shorty35565
shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
How can I lift heavy without a spotter? Power rack? I'm afraid I may be losing mine. I lift at home & too shy to try to find & ask anyone else. And I dont really wanna go to the gym. I would be to shy to do anything in front of anyone.

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. I'm typically alone in my gym. However, I also recognize that it's entirely possible I could wreck myself.

Power rack is a good idea. I wish I had one. If you can get one, then do so.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Are you taking about squats? Does your bench have safety bars?
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options

I'd like to hear the answer regarding squats. I can't chuck much more weight up over my head anymore. I'm going to be stuck soon.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I've got the same problem with benching. Unless my boyfriend comes with me, I'm stuck asking one of the trainers to stand there and spot me through 5x5? I'm totally a beginner but I despise being dependent on my someone to be able to bench press.
  • shorty35565
    Options
    Squats, benching and OHP (so I dont have to lift it from the floor) My bench is very simple & was cheap. The bench holds 300lbs. But the bar only 150. Luckily I'm still a while away from that. Plus I only have 115lbs of weight.
    Picture > https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/10589_502688803093180_631683842_n.jpg
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. I'm typically alone in my gym. However, I also recognize that it's entirely possible I could wreck myself.

Agreed. I've done the roll of shame a few times on bench press, but that was only at 80lbs. I know there are people who do it at very high weights on youtube, but I don't know that I'd want 300lb sitting on my liver or stomach...

It's definitely safer to use a power rack if you have access to one (or have the funds to buy one).
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You could totally hobble something together for that setup. A couple of chairs with the legs sawed shorter, build something with 2x4s, etc.

How do you squat with that though?
  • shorty35565
    Options
    You could totally hobble something together for that setup. A couple of chairs with the legs sawed shorter, build something with 2x4s, etc.

How do you squat with that though?

My spotter puts the weight on my shoulders lol
  • shorty35565
    Options

Agreed. I've done the roll of shame a few times on bench press, but that was only at 80lbs. I know there are people who do it at very high weights on youtube, but I don't know that I'd want 300lb sitting on my liver or stomach...

It's definitely safer to use a power rack if you have access to one (or have the funds to buy one).

I only bench 55lbs right now, but it's REALLY heavy to me. I mean, my mom will be there. She would catch it, but idk if she could put it back on the bar.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I only bench 55lbs right now, but it's REALLY heavy to me. I mean, my mom will be there. She would catch it, but idk if she could put it back on the bar.

From what I understand, the spotter doesn't have to catch and rerack the weight. They have to lift enough off the weight off of you that you can put it back on the pins. Essentially, your combined effort has to be enough to get it back on the rack. She would likely have enough strength to do that.

ETA: I keep thinking bench press only. Listen to others about the other exercises. I don't have much experience with them yet.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about this too. I want to be able to lift in our shed and I can see me finding the time, but not a spotter.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    That's not a good way to squat. Invest in a squat rack and you could probably get rid of that bench setup. The squat rack could be set up for side bars if you need to dump the weight off your back. It will only fall a short distance. Or if you fall over to the front or back, the weights won't squash you when you hit the floor
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    5B04380C-05E4-4593-A60B-C43EB524D016-363-000000371B6A837E_zpsa80d3e17.jpg

this is my make shift power rack. The squat stands are adjustable height and the saw horses fold down so the whole set up is fairly compact. The saw horses can support up to 100kg each. I doubt I'll be squatting or benching anywhere near 200kg in the foreseeable future!
  • shorty35565
    Options

this is my make shift power rack. The squat stands are adjustable height and the saw horses fold down so the whole set up is fairly compact. The saw horses can support up to 100kg each. I doubt I'll be squatting or benching anywhere near 200kg in the foreseeable future!

Did u make those or buy those?
  • shorty35565
    Options
    That's not a good way to squat. Invest in a squat rack and you could probably get rid of that bench setup. The squat rack could be set up for side bars if you need to dump the weight off your back. It will only fall a short distance. Or if you fall over to the front or back, the weights won't squash you when you hit the floor

So I really only need a squat rack? My mom can spot my benching, like someone said above, our combined efforts can get it back up. Are squat racks cheaper than power racks? Could I use it for my OHP so I don't have to pick it up off the floor.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    pDSP1-10911221p275w.jpg

Not cheap if new but maybe craigslist? You could get rid of the bench rack. Use the bench portion of the bech rack to set up in the squat rack for bench. You can OHP in there too.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Do not use that for anything higher than 100 kg, while combined load could be 200 kg of static weight, when dropping a load it is usually unloaded uneven - you would then collapse one side with very bad consequences.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Could someone list the equipment needed to do SL safely alone? Then I can start googling.

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Could someone list the equipment needed to do SL safely alone? Then I can start googling.

1 barbell
    1 power rack/squat cage with a chin up bar at the top (assuming you will be doing chins)
    plates (weight).

Possibly a belt with chain if you plan on doing weighted chins.

See the photo Jeff posted above for example of rack.
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Interesting to knw. I'm in the same boat as you....lorinnalyn does hack squats instead.