Lifting without a spotter

Options
2»

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    this is my make shift power rack.  The squat stands are adjustable height and the saw horses fold down so the whole set up is fairly compact.    The saw horses can support up to 100kg each.   I doubt I'll be squatting or benching anywhere near 200kg in the foreseeable future!

Did u make those or buy those?

I bought them, saw horses came from Clas Ohlson (hardware store) for £27GBP, squat stands from Amazon.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    this is my make shift power rack.  The squat stands are adjustable height and the saw horses fold down so the whole set up is fairly compact.    The saw horses can support up to 100kg each.   I doubt I'll be squatting or benching anywhere near 200kg in the foreseeable future!

Do not use that for anything higher than 100 kg, while combined load could be 200 kg of static weight, when dropping a load it is usually unloaded uneven - you would then collapse one side with very bad consequences.

Not gonna happen for a fair while and I always leave a rep or two in me when alone. If I reach that stage I'll reassess about investing in a more sturdy set up.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    ohp is simple without a spotter, provided you don't fall backward. If you fail the press you just drop the bar to the rack position on your shoulders, or if you have bumper plates you can drop it to the floor.

squats and bench, just stop a few reps shy of failure. you can get stronger with submaximal weights.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I read through the thread quickly and did not see anyone else suggest this, but, if I am repeating..apologies.

I have been using dumbbells rather than barbells for my press (shoulders/chest) movements. This has 2 big advantages.

1. I can go to failure and do not need a spotter
    2. The freedom in the range of motion really helps to alleviate and prevent shoulder (rotator cuff) issues.

I am even using dumbbells for my squats. If you use a heavy enough weight, it really engages the entire body more than barbell squats.

Not sure if you would want to purchase all the dumbells you might need, but you wouldn't need any racks or spotters.
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I read through the thread quickly and did not see anyone else suggest this, but, if I am repeating..apologies.

I have been using dumbbells rather than barbells for my press (shoulders/chest) movements. This has 2 big advantages.

2. The freedom in the range of motion really helps to alleviate and prevent shoulder (rotator cuff) issues.

I am even using dumbbells for my squats. If you use a heavy enough weight, it really engages the entire body more than barbell squats.

Not sure if you would want to purchase all the dumbells you might need, but you wouldn't need any racks or spotters.

Great to knw...moody- when doing ur squats with dumbbell do u hold it as if ur holding barbell or holding in the side?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I couldn't imagine trying to lift 100 - 150lb dumb bells in each hand and then squatting.
  • BarbellApprentice
    Options

Great to knw...moody- when doing ur squats with dumbbell do u hold it as if ur holding barbell or holding in the side?

I basically rest the dumbells on my shoulders. Holding them at your side could be interesting but would change the movement a bit and REALLY test your grip strength.
  • BarbellApprentice
    Options
    I couldn't imagine trying to lift 100 - 150lb dumb bells in each hand and then squatting.

I can't either...yet.
    A good starting point for trying this out is to use the same dumbell weight you would use for shoulder presses.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

This.

The weight that I should press is nowhere near the weight I would need to get a good squat session in.
    I'd rather be smart with 300 pounds on my back than to try to hold even 40 pound dumbbells on my shoulder and risk one slipping.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    ohp is simple without a spotter, provided you don't fall backward. If you fail the press you just drop the bar to the rack position on your shoulders, or if you have bumper plates you can drop it to the floor.

squats and bench, just stop a few reps shy of failure. you can get stronger with submaximal weights.

yeah I've had people rush to "save" me on a failed OHP before. It's a lot like deadlifts where failing isn't really all that dangerous at all (though failed deadlifts are often emberassing as hell).
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

yeah I've had people rush to "save" me on a failed OHP before. It's a lot like deadlifts where failing isn't really all that dangerous at all (though failed deadlifts are often emberassing as hell).

I've had more trouble with catching myself in the chin on the way up, as opposed to failing an overhead lift. haha