Starting Strength

Options
2»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The 10lb increase for squats and deads is really for guys - I believe that 5lb increases (and 2.5lb for upper) is recommended for women..
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Sara. I'm going to redo my spreadsheet and stick with 5lb increases across the board. Session six on Saturday was disappointing. I don't seem to be progressing the way I had hoped. I still cannot keep good form squatting 85lbs, or pressing the 55 I was supposed to be at.

Another question: I will be away for a music festival (Coachella) and will have to miss two workouts. When I get back, should I redo the last one I completed, or start up where I left off?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would just carry on from where you left off.

Have fun at the festival!
  • PriceK01
    Options
    Thank you, Sara! I try to go each year as an early b-day present. It's always a great time, albeit not the healthiest. I figure all the walk and dancing cancels out all the beer and festival food, though :D
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    The 10lb increase for squats and deads is really for guys - I believe that 5lb increases (and 2.5lb for upper) is recommended for women.

Definitely tossing my hat into the ring with this also.

I bought six 2-inch flat washers to be able to increase my presses more incrementally (that way I can even go up *roughly* by 1.25 lbs if need be using 1 washer per side at a time), and it's working out great so far. Went the washer route since fractional weights can be pretty expensive, and I'm a cheapskate who doesn't care about being an ounce or two off here and there.
  • PriceK01
    Options
    The washers are a great suggestion, Dani. Thank you!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    The washers are a great suggestion, Dani. Thank you!

You're welcome! I bought mine at a local Fastenal store. Dude looked at me a bit funny, but as it turns out, people use those things for other stuff than just ... well, whatever those washers are actually made for. :laugh:

They don't usually carry them at the big home improvement chains, so you may have to do some hunting. There's always the Interwebs though. 2-inch flat zinc-coated stainless steel is what mine are. Fit well on the bar with a bit of wiggle room and stay steady with my plate clips/springs without issues. And for $3-4 a piece, it's a steal really, because the max you will ever need are 6 (should you choose to go up in 1.25-ish lb increments rather than 2.5-ish for certain lifts at certain times).
This discussion has been closed.