April Results (cutting, bulking, maintaining)

Options
2»

Replies

• karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    unofficial weigh in this am: 121.0 (guess i finally dropped the water weight / excess lb's from my "free wk") - friday, i'll do both weight & bf% :D
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    March Weight: 182.2
    Goal: 160(ish)
    Current: 176.2 (-6lbs)

March BF%: 26.7%
    Goal: 18-19%
    Current BF% 26.79% *Same

Start 4/17
    Bust: 38 ~ -~ 36 (-2)
    Waist: 29 ~ -~ 28 (-1)
    Belly Button: 34 ~ -~ 34
    Hips: 45 ~ -~ 45
    Thigh: 27 ~- ~ 26.75 (-.25)
    Arm: 12.75 ~ -~ 12.00 (-.75)

Start 4/17
    Bench press 50 -5x5 ~~ 60 - 3x5*
    Leg press 230 -5x5 ~~ 250 - 3x5
    squat 80 -5x5 ~~ 90 -3x5
    Good Morning 20 -5x5 ~~ 35 -3x5
    Overhead Press 25 -5x5 ~~ 35 - 3x5

*I changed to a 3x5 set instead of 5x5. Once I get to being able to do 3x7 I up the weight 5-10lbs.
  • karrielynn80
    Options
    Goal: 160(ish)
    Current: 176.2 (-6lbs)

March BF%: 26.7%
    Goal: 18-19%
    Current BF% 26.79% *Same

Start 4/17
    Bust: 38 ~ -~ 36 (-2)
    Waist: 29 ~ -~ 28 (-1)
    Belly Button: 34 ~ -~ 34
    Hips: 45 ~ -~ 45
    Thigh: 27 ~- ~ 26.75 (-.25)
    Arm: 12.75 ~ -~ 12.00 (-.75)

Start 4/17
    Bench press 50 -5x5 ~~ 60 - 3x5*
    Leg press 230 -5x5 ~~ 250 - 3x5
    squat 80 -5x5 ~~ 90 -3x5
    Good Morning 20 -5x5 ~~ 35 -3x5
    Overhead Press 25 -5x5 ~~ 35 - 3x5

*I changed to a 3x5 set instead of 5x5. Once I get to being able to do 3x7 I up the weight 5-10lbs.
    Great job! keep up the great work!
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Well I seem to be back on track here as the weight is finally going down, but I won't officially weight in until saturday. Of course, some of this might just be water weight leaving from not doing big leg lifts for the last week, but who knows.

I've come to the conclusion I can't do anything weight bearing on my foot outside of normal day to day activity. My modified leg workout with lighter weights caused just as much discomfort as the squats and deadlifts did. So I'm banishing myself to the circuit machines that don't put weight on your feet (leg extension, leg curls, etc) until I can get into the doctor. I can't really think of any other options. Not being able to lift like I want is driving me nuts!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,996 Member
    Options
    These are my current Venus measurements and what I am aiming for (venus) - I'm 5'8":

Current measurements / What I should aim for (VI)
    Weight 145.0 lbs. / ~138.0 lbs.?
    Waist 26.75" / 25.98"
    Hips 39.00" / 36.89"
    Shoulders 42" / 41.75"

Mind you, I haven't been able to weigh in 9 days....the scale at my gym has been "broken". Hopefully today. I *do* really want to get <145 and I've been feeling "light" lately, so hopefully I'm there. And then, my next struggle will be getting <140....that will be HUGE! (never done that, as an adult, that I can remember!)

I still have 1" to get off my waist and 2" to move off my hips. I'm aiming to be done my cut by May 26th, but am pretty sure my hips won't make it by then.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    End of April / 5 Weeks.

I am in. Doing two challenges that have me doing weigh in Sun/Wed though so that part I am bad about updating.

Height: 5'7"

April 29th: 174.0

BF%: 27.46% (4/1)
    BF%: 26.77% (4/29)

-8.2lbs & - .69%

Start ~ 4/17 ~ 4/29
    Bust: 38 ~ 36 ~ 36 (-2)
    Waist: 29 ~ 28 ~ 27.75 (-1.25)
    Belly Button: 34 ~ 34 ~ 33 (-1)
    Hips: 45 ~ 45 ~ 44.75 (-.25)
    Thigh: 27 ~ 26.75 ~ 26 (-1)
    Arm: 12.75 ~ 12.5 ~ 12.5 (-.25)

Start ~ 4/17 ~ 4/29
    Bench press 50 -5x5 ~~ 60 - 3x5* ~~ 60 (+10)
    Leg press 230 -5x5 ~~ 250 - 3x5 ~~ 250 (+20)
    squat 80 -5x5 ~~ 90 -3x5 ~~ 100 (+20)
    Good Morning 20 -5x5 ~~ 35 -3x5 ~~ 45 (+25)
    Overhead Press 25 -5x5 ~~ 35 - 3x5 ~~ 35 (+10)
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Hoping you do another one of these in May?? Pretty please. :) If you do, I'm in.
  • ladyonaquest
    ladyonaquest Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies, I'm soooo new to all this! I don't really know where to start. My plan isn't very well organized either...LOL! I am opened to suggestions, tips, advice, routines, you name it! All I know is I want to get fit, look fit, BE FIT!!

April SW: 196.2 CW: 193 (-3.2)
    GW: 175
    21.2 lbs to get there! 18lbs to get to goal now!

Mon: Cardio + leg day I usually do 3 sets of 12 for everything
    Tues: Cardio + Arm day (3 sets of 12)
    Wed: Cardio+Core+Glutes
    Thurs: Cardio+ leg day (3 sets of 12)
    Fri: Cardio + Arm day (3 setsof 12)
    Sat: Cardio + Core+Glutes
    Sun: Rest and get ready to start all over!

Current Measurments:

Bust:37- 37
    Waist (bellybutton): 32- 31
    Hips: 44-43
    Thighs: 24-23

Body Fat calculator estimate: 26.99% ?
  • ladyonaquest
    Options
    Hey Ladies, I'm soooo new to all this! I don't really know where to start. My plan isn't very well organized either...LOL! I am opened to suggestions, tips, advice, routines, you name it! All I know is I want to get fit, look fit, BE FIT!!

April SW: 196.2 CW: 193 (-3.2lbs) (-3 inches)

Current Measurments:

• karrielynn80
    Options
    Hoping you do another one of these in May?? Pretty please. :) If you do, I'm in.

Yes, i try to do one every month. We've lost some "trackers" along the way & gained some (also, if the other girls that have fallen off are like me, their lives have just gotten hectic).

I'lll do a May one too :)
  • karrielynn80
    Options

April SW: 196.2 CW: 193 (-3.2)

Current Measurments:

**this looks good to me. If you want to combine "cardio" style with lifting, also try to super set (do 1 set of 3 different lifts, back to back, rest, repeat x 3 or 5) - it's a great way to get cardio in. I only do one day of cardio, and i do this sometimes. high rep low weight (ur just trying to get your heart rate up).
    Also, I would suggest changing up something every few wks, rep range / weight ration, or cardio to lifting ratio - keep your body guessing. :D Good luck! the one thing everyone who succeeds has in common is CONSISTENCY this will get you results! :)
  • karrielynn80
    Options
    Okay ladies, i haven't "tracked" as well this month as jan-mar, but i'm not pushing myself as much either. . . (plus i had a few off wks & wanted to weight until i had good results to track LOL)

April SW: 121.4 (4/3)
    April EW: 121.00 (4/30)

April SCBF% (caliper body fat%): 15.11 (4/3)
    April ECBF%: 14.07 (4/30)

**i wanted to share something that i've noticed & am ALWAYS impressed by;
    i had at east 2 wks this month where i "fell off the wagon" diet wise. . . and even tho i stayed in the gym, i felt like POOP (the healthier i get, the crappier i feel when i "backslide" - and by backslide i mean eating gas station snacks & mt dew, not going over calories / fat of healthy kinds) - but, within a day or 2 of kicking my butt back into high gear, not only does any weight gain (usually from sodium) melt off, but my abs start to pop right back out!. . so all that to say: the healthier you get, the easier it is to get BACK to where you want after a "cheat". 1 wkd of eating crap didn't set me back another 3 months. It took me my whole life to get to 30+ % bf; 3 months to get down to 15% (not long in the grand scheme) and less than 3 days to recover from a "slip". . . being healthy ROCKS!
  • ladyonaquest
    Options
    Yes, being healthy does ROCK!! It's the best feeling EVER!! Thanks for sharing that!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,996 Member
    Options
    April 30, 2013:

These are my current Venus measurements and what I am aiming for (venus) - I'm 5'8":

Current measurements / What I should aim for (VI)
    Weight 143.0 lbs. / ~138.0 lbs.?
    Waist 26.50" / 25.98"
    Hips 39.00" / 36.89"
    Shoulders 42" / 41.75"

Progress pic: taken in my bathroom this morning (poor lighting):

20130501singleshot_zpsb3200600.jpg
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    ~~~~~~~~Update~~~~~~~~~~
    I needed to wait till i finished my 5 week lifting cycle to put up results

April 1- first week of May.
    weight -8 lbs.
    BF%- same

measurements in inches:
    bicep-1/2 inch
    ribs/under bust-2-3
    natural waist-1.5 (not including water)
    *top of hip bone-4
    widest pt. hips-1.5
    mid thigh-1.5 each
    widest pt of calf-1

. total: -14.5

*just started measuring my hip bone mid april, could have been more.

This was due mainly to 3 x week full body lifting program, All Pro for Beginners.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933
    At most, I did 2 days of intense cardio- punching bag, running intervals, stair intervals
    or random calisthenics. Some weeks I did just the lifting.
    The cardio isn't mandatory, you can still lose without it.

and a decent amount of protein most days, around 100g/day with a calorie deficit.

A shoutout and thanks to the many friends who answered my endless questions.
    .Especially the friend who suggested I do this routine, and helping me get set up to start.

I'm going to retest my 1 rep maxes soon. I think my bench press has gone up close to 10#.
    So that's really exciting too. All my lifts have improved, so I'll be adding 10% to each of them,
    starting Monday for my 2nd cycle.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to add some info about my so called 'diet'. I didn't really limit carbs, I still ate pizza most weekends, cheese almost every day, chocolate, cookies. I just did a better job keeping the portions at a reasonable level most of the time than in the past. I almost never ate 'salad'. I love veggies, but we don't have to feel to lose weight we have to eat salad. It's just not true.

Eating more protein really helped with this, I was generally much less hungry, and stayed full longer on days when I ate protein throughout the day, compared to a typical high fiber low fat day, which had 70 g of protein, often less.

I'm not some single college chick. I have 3 kids who although they're great, still stress me out.
    I had some really rough times in the past month, but I didn't want to make changes to what I was doing. I didn't want to skip workouts, they help keep me sane. I knew that eating more would not help me feel better. I already use my calorie goal as a guideline, but if I'm hungry I'm ok with eating more. Through the week it generally balances out, And days of the month when i was really hormonal i ate close to maintenance calories, and didn't stress about it.

Changing doesn't have to be torture, time consuming, or expensive. If I can do it, anyone can.
  • frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Looks good to me. I go with lifting 4days /wk & cardio 1day/wk + 2 rest days.
    Are you focusing on your macros? You specified you are loosing weight - but your working out too, so i imagine your aim is to loose fat & keep muscle - which means a) you 'll want enough carbs to give you the energy for 6 days/ wk working out on a calorie deficeit. b) you'll want high(er) protein to aid w/ recovery and stimulate muscle growth & c) you'll need of course, to intake low fat.
    i do a 35c/20f/45p split but you can set up your own via your mfp settings on ur pc.
    When do you plan on weighing in?
    [/quote]

I am so new to this. In the past I only focused on the scales and weight loss. I was in one huge plateau/mind funk and I was starting to get a lot of loose skin. So, I cleaned up my diet and added strength training to the weight loss. I am currently doing the Body Revolution program, although I am not viewing it as being done in 90 days, if that makes sense. However, in the past I did Weight Watchers, so I have NO idea how many calories I was eating or what would be good macros for me.

I am currently playing with tracking and adjusting my calorie intake. Last week I pretty much maintained at 11000 calories, so this week I am cutting that a bit. (I vary it per day so my body doesn't get too used to it.). I think it's set for 1300 per day plus exercise calories, which are measured by my HRM, and by comparison is the lowest of anyone else currently doing Body Revolution except for someone else with a Polar, so I would trust eating those calories back. In the first two weeks, I lost 10 pounds (I'm in week 5), but now I'm maintaining my weight, or actually gained back a pound. However, I've been losing inches and proudly flexing my new muscles.

I would like to at least see a pound + lost per week, so do I just need to keep adding in my cardio? And for weight loss and strength training, what macros should I focus on? I tried a week or two of a very low carb/healthy high fat diet at 50 net grams of carbs per day, but it totally threw my IBS out of control and I had NO energy to work out. So I upped the carbs and lowered the fat, and I am feeling better digestively as well as having my energy back. But still trying to figure out the best way to lose weight while strength training. I currently have a pretty even split between carbs, proteins and fats, with fat usually taking the lead. Any thoughts? :)