April Chat

Options
Wooken3
Wooken3 Posts: 635 Member
April-Fool2.jpg*****April 2013***** images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQ4jDTJggesnvfAyd2_-E4cTPYu59JK3XS_S_nOmdipFwFhQIx

April Fool's Day History

The history of April Fool's Day or All Fool's Day is uncertain, but the current thinking is that it began around 1582 in France with the reform of the calendar under Charles IX. The Gregorian Calendar was introduced, and New Year's Day was moved from March 25 - April 1 (new year's week) to January 1.

Communication traveled slowly in those days and some people were only informed of the change several years later. Still others, who were more rebellious refused to acknowledge the change and continued to celebrate on the last day of the former celebration, April 1.

These people were labeled "fools" by the general populace, were subject to ridicule and sent on "fool errands," sent invitations to nonexistent parties and had other practical jokes played upon them. The butts of these pranks became known as a "poisson d'avril" or "April fish" because a young naive fish is easily caught. In addition, one common practice was to hook a paper fish on the back of someone as a joke.

This harassment evolved over time and a custom of prank-playing continue on the first day of April. This tradition eventually spread elsewhere like to Britain and Scotland in the 18th century and was introduced to the American colonies by the English and the French. Because of this spread to other countries, April Fool's Day has taken on an international flavor with each country celebrating the holiday in its own way.

In Scotland, for instance, April Fool's Day is devoted to spoofs involving the buttocks and as such is called Taily Day. The butts of these jokes are known as April 'Gowk', another name for cuckoo bird. The origins of the "Kick Me" sign can be traced back to the Scottish observance.

In England, jokes are played only in the morning. Fools are called 'gobs' or 'gobby' and the victim of a joke is called a 'noodle.' It was considered back luck to play a practical joke on someone after noon.

In Rome, the holiday is known as Festival of Hilaria, celebrating the resurrection of the god Attis, is on March 25 and is also referred to as "Roman Laughing Day."

In Portugal, April Fool's Day falls on the Sunday and Monday before lent. In this celebration, many people throw flour at their friends.

The Huli Festival is celebrated on March 31 in India. People play jokes on one another and smear colors on one another celebrating the arrival of Spring.

So, no matter where you happen to be in the world on April 1, don't be surprised if April fools fall playfully upon you.

Source: http://www.april-fools.us/history-april-fools.htm

Replies

• _Liz_M_
    _Liz_M_ Posts: 39
    Options
    Interesting article Wooken. Did anyone play tricks on you today? No such tomfoolery around here on this occasion. Mind you we don't need April the 1st to be fools in our house. :flowerforyou:
  • walkswithart
    walkswithart Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Interesting article Wooken. Did anyone play tricks on you today? No such tomfoolery around here on this occasion. Mind you we don't need April the 1st to be fools in our house. :flowerforyou:

I echo the above sentiments. Although not all the fools are up and about yet in this household.
    !persistence!
  • Wooken3
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRsu1wB687QrDuDQ-pOAKF-xRoXh3GuWLvvaqpidZnDmXCY3W5
    Thxs for the laughs! Seems like Hubby and I are now living out the quote, 'There's no fool like an old fool ' regularly. :laugh:
  • Wooken3
    Options
    Too Inspired To Be Tired April challenge begins today. And I've been assigned to a team of Trolls. No fooling'…gotta love mdcjmom for making me a Troll :ohwell:

Per Wikipedia: Scandinavian folklore says Trolls are creatures bent on mischief and wickedness. Doesn't sound like a bad gig to me. :wink: I even found a biking Troll that is so ugly she's cute.

Link to Challenge: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/13065-too-inspired-to-be-tired-april ==>>Check it out and come join us for some fun!

troll_riding_bike_hc.gif
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    I adore this day. I always play jokes on the ones I love, and we too are those "oldsters" who are fooled on a daily basis. LOL

Hope you all get joked at least once this morning, since now I see it is bad to joke in the afternoon. I best get to mine huh?

Have a great day everyone.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    The information is great! Thanks.

We haven't played April fools jokes on each other for many years, but I remember it was fun.

:wink:
  • walkswithart
    Options
    What is the other "April" event? Taxes. I need to get started on ours, I'm so late this year. I guess I've just been having too much fun, with being newly retired.
  • gramanana
    Options
    This afternoon I'm going to go out and enjoy the Springlike weather that has finally arrived here. Here in Northern Illinois you never know how long it's going to stay so I'm going to go out and enjoy it while it lasts. Last week when I walked outside I met a neighbor from a different part of the neighborhood. It was fun talking to someone new. Also explored a different part of the neighborhood. I'm waiting for my bike to be checked out by hubby and weather so I can ride around this area...it's too far for me to explore on foot.

Anyway, hope everyone has a great day!:smile:
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I walk every day........ and yesterday I met and chatted to a couple I had seen many times but never spoken to...they live round the corner from me...we talked about books mainly and we are going to swap some between us....... my morning walk is a huge part of my routine, whatever the weather, but I am looking forward to some warmer mornings rather than the freezing bitter wind we are having at the moment ....

Have a great day everyone! :bigsmile:

Jean
  • gramanana
    Options
    I loved my walk outside yesterday. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do it today because I have too many errands to run. Included in the errands is getting my hair cut. Does anyone think that will help me lose any weight (LOL)?:laugh:

• walkswithart
    Options
    I loved my walk outside yesterday. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do it today because I have too many errands to run. Included in the errands is getting my hair cut. Does anyone think that will help me lose any weight (LOL)?:laugh:

Yes, you will lose weight, but you gain it all back as the hair grows again. Alas!
  • Wooken3
    Options
    Hi All, Gonna reply in one posting and then probably won't be around again till after April 15th. Or Liberation Day as we tax preparers refer to it :laugh:

@gramanana: Glad you got to enjoy a bit of spring weather. And exploring an area by bike is the best way to met folks.

@jeanmrob: Walking seems to be the exercise of choice for quite a few folks. I really enjoy biking but I do need to start something else to build up the rest of the body. However, my legs are in great shape :wink:

@walkswithart: How right you are regarding hair growing right back again. That's one of the reason my hair is so long, I figure…what's the use. Plus being too lazy to mess with fixing it every morning. One long braid wrapped around my head, a few pins, and I'm set for the day.

Citrus trees and cactus are now in full bloom throughout Phoenix. Wanted to share some spring blooms with those who are still waiting for spring to show up. :flowerforyou:

Prickly Pear Cactus
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWxfOZyZVwaGYMBeB7LySVOojYk7AHf_kE0fNNcygWeM5IbIss-A
  • ppaolini4340
    Options
    Hopefully spring is here to stay in western NC. Spent most of Saturday working in the garden. Got a second batch of garden peas planted (first batch just broke ground) along with some green and red cabbage and some broccoli. I have 36 Roma tomato plants and a dozen cucumber plants still in the greenhouse. I think it may be too cold for them yet. I am almost finished with another raised planted and i think i will throw some lettuce seeds in it this week. I can't wait for all the fresh vegetables. I practically live on them in the summer.

Hope everyone has a Blessed Day.

Pam
  • walkswithart
    Options
    Hopefully spring is here to stay in western NC. Spent most of Saturday working in the garden. Got a second batch of garden peas planted (first batch just broke ground) along with some green and red cabbage and some broccoli. I have 36 Roma tomato plants and a dozen cucumber plants still in the greenhouse. I think it may be too cold for them yet. I am almost finished with another raised planted and i think i will throw some lettuce seeds in it this week. I can't wait for all the fresh vegetables. I practically live on them in the summer.

Hope everyone has a Blessed Day.

Pam

I envy you your garden. I miss mine even after not having on for 20 years, guess it the farmer blood in me. Have fun!!
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting the lovely spring cactus picture. I'm in Sudbury Ontario, Canada my garden is still under snow but I did see a Robin this morning so things could be looking up weather wise. sure will be nice to get outside again do some gardening and safe walking no ice or snow banks would be great. Have s great evening everyone
  • _Liz_M_
    _Liz_M_ Posts: 39
    Options
    :ohwell: The leaves are turning yellow and beginning to fall in earnest around here in the South Island of New Zealand, so it looks like I had better get over it and haul out the warm jerseys and jackets again...sigh. We had a wonderful long hot summer. The prickly pears are lovely Wooken.
  • walkswithart
    Options
    :ohwell: The leaves are turning yellow and beginning to fall in earnest around here in the South Island of New Zealand, so it looks like I had better get over it and haul out the warm jerseys and jackets again...sigh. We had a wonderful long hot summer. The prickly pears are lovely Wooken.

Thanks for the reminder that somewhere in the world the sun is shining, or someone is thinking about their cold weather gear. We've had a string of mixed days here in the Puget Sound Area of the USA. Some rain, some sun, temperatures in the 50's for the most part. Lots of beautiful spring bulbs (tulips, daffodils, hyacinth, crocus, primroses). And the winter water birds have mostly migrated on.
  • gramanana
    Options
    The grass is turning green here in Northern Illinois and my hubby was out fertilizing trees this morning. We are getting mixed weather with some sunny days mixed with cool, cloudy, overcast days like today. But it is definitely feeling like Spring.
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    It is cold and rainy in Michigan today - bleh!!!! No green grass. As it keeps raining I remind myself that "April Showers......".
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Out here in Northern California, we have had a wonderful mix of weather. Feb up in the 80's, March, came in like a lamb and went out like a small lion. April so far, rain, winds the other night up to 75 mph. Crazy stuff. Today is beautiful. Around 70. I went away overnight with my 2 best friends and had so much fun. The 3 of us needed to run away. And it was one's birthday so she had a great time. Now, I really need to talk to myself every day(beyond the usual talking to self I do) and really focus on getting back on track. I am going to eventually need spinal fusion in my back and I really would love to lose at least another 10 if not 20 pounds before I do it.

Hope you all get spring soon and are having a wonderful day whatever the weather!