Impressive Gaming Feats

Options

Replies

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I can beat contra and super contra without dying.

I agree this feat is huuuuge! one night when I was really loaded I got all the way to the last level without dying I had like 30 lives or so saved up but then died every single one of them.... someone walked in and jinxed me ill never forget/totally remember that night

Any game where you remember the 30 lives cheat code 20 years later is an epic game

Up Up, Down Down, Left Right Left Right, b a , Select Start
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

I agree this feat is huuuuge! one night when I was really loaded I got all the way to the last level without dying I had like 30 lives or so saved up but then died every single one of them.... someone walked in and jinxed me ill never forget/totally remember that night

Any game where you remember the 30 lives cheat code 20 years later is an epic game

Up Up, Down Down, Left Right Left Right, b a , Select Start

That is also known as the Konami Code. It was originally created as a way to make it easier to test out changes they would make the powerups in a game known as Gladius. The code was not taken out before the game was release and somehow either gamers just figured it out or the more likely someone leaked the information about the code to the public and it spread like wild fire. Gamers absolutely loved the idea of a cheat code and the rest is gaming history. Game makers started including the codes intentionally and before you knew it cheat codes became part of our culture. It has somewhat died down now since for the most part the game make would prefer you pay for the new feature rather than enter a cheat code for it so now the things that would have been cheat codes today like new skins and such are all simply options that you pay for.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options

I love you.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Beating Mass Effect 2 on Insanity mode was pretty rad. My Mario Kart skills are unmatched though.

I know people who play Mass Effect 2 on insanity but nobody does it with the intent of actually beating the game. I got good enough to play mario cart with my kids and I beat them constantly but other than that I don't play it much.

Beat Mass Effect 2 on insanity- twice.

Started Mass Effect 3 on insanity, got to the last battle with Kai Leng and then stopped playing for some reason I can't recall. Gotta go back and finish.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I have a butt-flag pony in WoW. Does that count?
  • jmmcs
    jmmcs Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Not super impressive, but about six or so years ago I could get five stars on Through the Fire and Flames on expert in GH3. Wasted hundreds of hours on that game. I tend to play most games on the easiest difficulty, where most of the enemies are about as fierce as bunnies and you are practically invincible.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Actually I know that song and that game and that is pretty damn impressive. I do have to say that as a rule I am against the use of easy mode for anything other than tutorials and testing stuff out. If I actually dig in and play the lowest I will go is normal. I am not one of those people thanks the highest difficulty is all that counts however. In some games it completely changes the entire nature of the game. For example in L4D2 if you set it on the highest difficulty the common zombies will hit you for 1/5th of you health making them the most dangerous thing in the game due to their sheer numbers. You basically need other plays on your side because at that difficulty the game is impossible with bots.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    My feats are not often measurable accomplishments. What I'm most proud of is going from a textbook button masher, 'ask my brother to do the hard parts' kind of gamer when we were kids to a 'I'll figure it out myself no matter how long it takes, thanks' kind of gamer.

But even as adults, the only game I can whoop my brother's *kitten* in is Mario Kart. Still pisses him off, too.
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    My feats are not often measurable accomplishments. What I'm most proud of is going from a textbook button masher, 'ask my brother to do the hard parts' kind of gamer when we were kids to a 'I'll figure it out myself no matter how long it takes, thanks' kind of gamer.

But even as adults, the only game I can whoop my brother's *kitten* in is Mario Kart. Still pisses him off, too.

That's a pretty great accomplishment too :D

As a side, I love your avatar.
  • Shikonneko
    Shikonneko Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Imma sit here and bask in the presence of awesomeness. o_o The best thing I can even pretend to think of is managing to play Rampage on my NES for 5 or 6 hours before I finally lost all my lives. I have some MMO prowess but it's probably not of note.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Imma sit here and bask in the presence of awesomeness. o_o The best thing I can even pretend to think of is managing to play Rampage on my NES for 5 or 6 hours before I finally lost all my lives. I have some MMO prowess but it's probably not of note.

Well it is all relative. I have been considered a gaming god in my past. I completely destroyed all of my competition at a Tekken3 tournament. I played as Paul Phoenix and I was unstoppable. Then I took my prize money and moved on to another group. I did ok but that was the problem. In that group I was just ok.

I knew how to do all of his moves my timing was fantastic and guess what, that was the norm. Everyone there was amazing and if everyone is amazing then nobody is. I ended up with a middle of the road standing having equal wins and losses. that was enough to get me through the first day but on the second day even through my record was slightly better I missed the cut by just a little bit. I still got a little bit of prize money so I couldn't exactly go home crying.

To be honest I was honored simply to be counted among the best at all. At a certain point I think it all becomes about endurance and perseverance. I have gone further than most and for that I am proud but there are still many more who went much further and with greater frequency. The guy who took the grand prize and went home in first place went undefeated in the finals and watching him play was like a work of art. I never did get to play him and to be honest even when I was at my best I don't think I could have beat him.

So knowing that I guess they were wrong to call me a "gaming god" when I won that first tournament. The truth is I was a big fish in a small pond. Had that guy been there he would have won. I am sure there is someone else out that could have beaten him. No matter how good you become there is always someone better so you can't always compare yourself to others or you'll always feel like your losing. You should instead compare your current performance to your past performance and always try to better yourself. That is were the constant struggle always lies. You may not always win but you are doing better and you still lose at least you know you gave it your all and you made the other guy earn it.
  • Femmekid
    Femmekid Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Beating Mass Effect 2 on Insanity mode was pretty rad. My Mario Kart skills are unmatched though.

Wow. I'm just not that cool. I play the ME games on the easiest levels so I can romance Garrus faster. Rofl.
    ^ this. Haha.
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options

This is a short post but omg is it saying a lot. Any retro gamer out there can vouch for this. Contra is one of those games made by people who wanted to punish their fellow gamers. The screen will be flooded with bullets at times and if anything ever touches you even one you are dead. Contra is a harsh and unforgiving game and being able to make it through without dying is crazy.

I figured the guy was trolling... That game cannot be beaten without dying... Last year the house we rented at the beach had a stand up Arcade machine and one of the games on it was Contra. My son and his friend spent hours trying to beat that game to no avail... I even tried for a bit, enjoying the fun and memories of the Spread gun and laser cannon and the frustration with trying to move between platforms... I had to stop so I could "enjoy" the rest of my vacation...
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I can see why you would say that but contra can be beaten without dying and there are even speed runs for it. I have almost completed this feat myself but it is a major pain in the but to make it happen. I have managed to complete all of Golden Axe, Life Force and Double dragon a many more without dying. Contra was on my list for a while but I never quite pulled it off.
  • Slimithy
    Options
    Not to brag but as a casual raider I have saved Azeroth on numerous occasions. I have killed the Lich King, the Aspect of Magic, the Aspect of Earth. Recently I have faced and beaten both Fear and Doubt themselves. All while chatting with 9 or 24 of my friends... Hopefully by this weekend I will have green fire while at an ILvl below 480 (In all seriousness this will be a feat). Ha! Beat that!
  • Slimithy
    Options
    I can see why you would say that but contra can be beaten without dying and there are even speed runs for it. I have almost completed this feat myself but it is a major pain in the but to make it happen. I have managed to complete all of Golden Axe, Life Force and Double dragon a many more without dying. Contra was on my list for a while but I never quite pulled it off.

Than I bow in the face of the awesomeness...
  • soldier4242
    Options

Than I bow in the face of the awesomeness...

I think I am more like awesomeness light. I am almost as good with fewer calories. I got hooked on doing speed runs for a while and I still love it to be honest. The thing about a speed run is you have to get to the end without dying and you have to be able to do things with limited resources. Typically you will have to pass up on buffs that you would normally get in order to make your time. LIfe Force was actually and exception to that rule because the screen does not really scroll faster as you move forward so my time on that game is pretty much as fast as you can ever make it happen because it really boils down to how fast you can kill the bosses.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Not to brag but as a casual raider I have saved Azeroth on numerous occasions. I have killed the Lich King, the Aspect of Magic, the Aspect of Earth. Recently I have faced and beaten both Fear and Doubt themselves. All while chatting with 9 or 24 of my friends... Hopefully by this weekend I will have green fire while at an ILvl below 480 (In all seriousness this will be a feat). Ha! Beat that!

Worry not this thread is one of the few actually made so that you can brag. I remember how hard heroic Lich King was back in the day. He was a pain in the *kitten*. I had a push back because I was a moonkin so I always got to go. It was pretty rough but it was also a very rewarding kill. It was almost as hard as T6 raiding was back in the day.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I beat Tetris once.

And only once.

And found out what "bloodshot eyes" was all about. :bigsmile:

I now play all my RPG/solo player games either on beginner or in god mode just because I prefer to enjoy the ride without dying to the same stupid mob 10 times (that's what MMORPGs are for).

I never did get to "save" Azeroth. My guild mostly used me for dragon fodder and I was usually the first to die in a boss fight (not a bad place to observe from, really ... even back in Vanilla). But hey, we all have our place, right? :laugh:
  • RobertHendrix
    RobertHendrix Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I used to be a pretty hard core raider/pvper in WOW. I raided/pvp'd on my hunter Shamrokk - US Shadowmoon until BC when alliance could have shamen and then rerolled to Enhance Shaman Shamshokk for our guild. Was a big race on our server for first Rag kill and all tho we ended up getting second kill we vowed not to ever not get a server first again. We kept that promise all the way through BC until after killing Illidan we decided to reroll Horde as a guild and with family obligations at that time I took that oppertunity to move with guild but went from a hard core player to pretty casual. I hadnt played my original hunter for a long time until recently moved back to alliance with MOP and even with a break from T6-until MOP still have over 100k honorable kills on the stats screen. But before all that I was the first hunter on our server to get Grand Marshall in PVP and after rerolling Shaman I was one of the top 5 dps enhance shaman in the wold according to wow web stats (tried to find some of my old screen shots of the dps parses and rankings page since the site no longer exists). Our guild Eternals had a world top 100 kill on Kel'Thuzad back in level 60 Nax. The night we got the kill I actually played both my hunter and played our off tanks warrior on the kill. Off tank couldn't be on so I dual logged and helped off tank aboms on phase 1, alt tabbed to hunter for phase two, and then alt tabbed back to warrior to off tank spiders in final stage.