Options

Replies

• soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I beat Tetris once.

And only once.

And found out what "bloodshot eyes" was all about. :bigsmile:

I now play all my RPG/solo player games either on beginner or in god mode just because I prefer to enjoy the ride without dying to the same stupid mob 10 times (that's what MMORPGs are for).

I never did get to "save" Azeroth. My guild mostly used me for dragon fodder and I was usually the first to die in a boss fight (not a bad place to observe from, really ... even back in Vanilla). But hey, we all have our place, right? :laugh:

I am sure you did more than just die. The raids now are a bit too tight for that. If you only have 10 people you can't bring one that just dies all the time or it will slow your progression.

I used to be a GM during the burning crusade and I had this fury warrior that I used to love bringing with me on raids because his dps was insanely high. The problem is he also generated a lot of threat so on Gruul I would have him soul stoned and about half way in to the fight Gruul would hatefully strike him and he would die and pop back up with no threat. We would just drop buffs back on him and we would be good to go for the rest of the fight.

He was a bit hard on himself because he died every time but before I started using him we weren't killing him fast enough. He served an important purpose even though dying was part of his job description. He was also fantastic on High King Maulgor cause he could pummel the priest extremely well and if his threat started getting out of hand I would just send him off to the warlock a bit early. Often time we are our own toughest critics.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I used to be a pretty hard core raider/pvper in WOW. I raided/pvp'd on my hunter Shamrokk - US Shadowmoon until BC when alliance could have shamen and then rerolled to Enhance Shaman Shamshokk for our guild. Was a big race on our server for first Rag kill and all tho we ended up getting second kill we vowed not to ever not get a server first again. We kept that promise all the way through BC until after killing Illidan we decided to reroll Horde as a guild and with family obligations at that time I took that oppertunity to move with guild but went from a hard core player to pretty casual. I hadnt played my original hunter for a long time until recently moved back to alliance with MOP and even with a break from T6-until MOP still have over 100k honorable kills on the stats screen. But before all that I was the first hunter on our server to get Grand Marshall in PVP and after rerolling Shaman I was one of the top 5 dps enhance shaman in the wold according to wow web stats (tried to find some of my old screen shots of the dps parses and rankings page since the site no longer exists). Our guild Eternals had a world top 100 kill on Kel'Thuzad back in level 60 Nax. The night we got the kill I actually played both my hunter and played our off tanks warrior on the kill. Off tank couldn't be on so I dual logged and helped off tank aboms on phase 1, alt tabbed to hunter for phase two, and then alt tabbed back to warrior to off tank spiders in final stage.

Just having two Level 60's that were KZ ready at that time was already pretty crazy but to be able to use both of them at the same time is even more insane. I have tried and failed to achieve any server firsts but I know we have come darn close. We did a boss kill that I was so sure would be a server first that I was waiting for it to pop up so I could start posting in guild chat. It must have been a server second though cause I had some friends in a rival guild post they they just got the server first and we had the boss at like 10% with everyone alive. We kept pushing for it but we never made it. I am sure we were in the top 3 for several bosses but that doesn't get you anything in the WoW.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I beat the Battletoads arcade game on 1 quarter...
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I am sure you did more than just die.

Of course. I can heal the hell out of anybody until I end up standing in stuff until dead because I'm too OCD about health bars to learn proper boss mechanics very quickly.

However, when I was doing DPS back in the days of MC/BWL and Ony my guild pretty much only brought me along when they didn't need the epics and for dragon fodder. They knew better than to bank on my help for actual progression back in those days, when my rogue wore druid gear (YES! SPIRIT REGENERATES MY HEALTH! I TOTALLY NEED THAT!) until about level 53. . :laugh:
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I am sure you did more than just die.

Of course. I can heal the hell out of anybody until I end up standing in stuff until dead because I'm too OCD about health bars to learn proper boss mechanics very quickly.

However, when I was doing DPS back in the days of MC/BWL and Ony my guild pretty much only brought me along when they didn't need the epics and for dragon fodder. They knew better than to bank on my help for actual progression back in those days, when my rogue wore druid gear (YES! SPIRIT REGENERATES MY HEALTH! I TOTALLY NEED THAT!) until about level 53. . :laugh:

Wow the thought of a rogue with spirit gear just makes me sad. Your guildies must have really enjoyed your company. I am in a casual guild now so its pretty relaxed. It wasn't always that way.

I was once in a guild called "I am the Tuskarr" and let me tell you they were strict. I had to fill out an online application to get in to the guild.

Everyone's performance during the raids was posted for everyone to see and if you were performing below par you could lose your raid spot.

Your gear would be inspected by the player that was in charge of your class and spec and they reported to the GM every week. They said they didn't want to give loot to players that would not use it optimally.

I felt it was all a bit heavy handed but let me tell you it worked. We would burn through progression and I learned quite a bit about how to improve. If I ever did something with another guild they would always be astonished at how much damage I could do and I was not the highest DPS in that guild. The GM was and he was so good it was scary.

Everyone was expected to do research on every boss fight before the fight and if he was over booked for a raid spot he would ask questions to the player up for that spot and whoever knew the fight better got the spot.

I won't lie I really did enjoy the progression but it is nice to be in a guild now where everyone is a lot nicer to each other. The progression may be slower but the stress level is a lot lower. Everyone can laugh if we all wipe and nobody get singled out. I do find myself having to bite my tongue after the same person wipes us for the third time and I am still expected to laugh but I just don't have the time to dedicate to the more regimental style so I guess I have to take the good with the bad.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Wow the thought of a rogue with spirit gear just makes me sad. Your guildies must have really enjoyed your company.

I don't even remember quite how I ended up in that guild (the one before my current one), it was so long ago. I joined with the understanding that I wasn't going to raid and they said "okay". So nobody cared about my gear until one day when I was questing in Ungoro and a guildie inspected my gear and educated me about stats. I really had no idea! If it was leather and better on armor and agility, I equipped it. It was after that day that I went online and started asking question (my warlock probably had spirit gear then too for all I remember :huh:). Ya live and learn. :laugh:
    I won't lie I really did enjoy the progression but it is nice to be in a guild now where everyone is a lot nicer to each other. The progression may be slower but the stress level is a lot lower. Everyone can laugh if we all wipe and nobody get singled out. I do find myself having to bite my tongue after the same person wipes us for the third time and I am still expected to laugh but I just don't have the time to dedicate to the more regimental style so I guess I have to take the good with the bad.

I just cancelled my WoW subscription (got bored again) and one of the main reasons I was still playing after a 7-year run was because of my guild. The right fit does matter. I prefer casual and drama free. Longevity and how people treat each other still counts for something IMO. Especially nowadays where you can get decent gear with heroics, LFR and even PVP and have so many more options. My guild is killing bosses at a decent pace and the core raiding group is pretty committed, but they also know how to have fun and treat people decent and help each other out.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Gaming is only awesome when its PVP, these days. PVE is SO repetitive.

Back in the day of 8-bit graphics, I would put 107 points in the firts quarter against anyone in Intellivision Football, Knock out everyone in less that 30seconds in Boxing, Trip up and check until 3 guys in the pental box only to score short-handed in Hockey...then came SEGA Oh how the heart rejoiced. Madden Football would be DOMINATED playing full regulation games on the weekend, start to finish with perfect seasons. I would piss off my best friend so much he went and bought the system just to try to find way to beat me.
    I remember being one of the first to dominate Diablo, then hacked it and would go around crashing randoms games for fun.

Now...I will WoW it up just wrek the wannabe's. It's rather funny when they find out I still mash buttons. Addons and keybinds are a joke.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I got the Bioshock Brass Balls achievement (beat the game on Hard with no deaths). I have never been so terrified of Big Daddies as I was during that run. My proudest gaming moment thus far.

Any reloads to keep the streak intact?
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    There was a point in Oblivion where my character was of such high level and had such dominant equipment that I could go into the Imperial City and kill guards for an hour at a time without even breaking a sweat.

I'm not quite there in Skyrim, but I'm getting close. Just made myself kick *kitten* double-enchanted heavy armor so i can get heavy armor up to 100 and be a tank/assassin.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    And if anyone ever played Ultima Online, I was in the crowd when Lord British got killed.

I had a pretty kick *kitten* character in that game as well. I remember that my guild wasn't too good with PVP but I had been doing some on my own and had been given some kick *kitten* pre-patch weapons and armor by them. We were slogging through a dungeon and like 4 PVPs pop out of nowhere and tear into us.

They all ran, I did a Neo from The Matrix and gave them the "bring it" wave and then absolutely demolished them before they even had a chance ot run away. I took great joy in mocking them as I looted their corpses.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I was part of the first guild that downed the Sleeper in Everquest. Pretty awesome stuff back in the day.
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I can beat contra and super contra without dying.

This is a short post but omg is it saying a lot. Any retro gamer out there can vouch for this. Contra is one of those games made by people who wanted to punish their fellow gamers. The screen will be flooded with bullets at times and if anything ever touches you even one you are dead. Contra is a harsh and unforgiving game and being able to make it through without dying is crazy.

I figured the guy was trolling... That game cannot be beaten without dying... Last year the house we rented at the beach had a stand up Arcade machine and one of the games on it was Contra. My son and his friend spent hours trying to beat that game to no avail... I even tried for a bit, enjoying the fun and memories of the Spread gun and laser cannon and the frustration with trying to move between platforms... I had to stop so I could "enjoy" the rest of my vacation...

Beating contra without dying is definitely possible... The difficult one is super contra because of the overhead level where the mouths come out of the ground, that part requires so much luck as I don't understand the spawn pattern of them.
  • jmmcs
    jmmcs Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I beat the Battletoads arcade game on 1 quarter...

Seriously? That game is stupid hard (so is Contra for me)
  • Gestahl
    Gestahl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Like many others are mentioning, probably my greatest feat was playing Contra and beating the game without dying even once... and then playing it again on the more difficult second playthrough, and beating it AGAIN without dying.

And the game does indeed get progressively harder on the third playthrough as well, but my eyes and thumbs were tired by that point, so I didn't push my luck on finishing another run.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Gaming is only awesome when its PVP, these days. PVE is SO repetitive.

Back in the day of 8-bit graphics, I would put 107 points in the firts quarter against anyone in Intellivision Football, Knock out everyone in less that 30seconds in Boxing, Trip up and check until 3 guys in the pental box only to score short-handed in Hockey...then came SEGA Oh how the heart rejoiced. Madden Football would be DOMINATED playing full regulation games on the weekend, start to finish with perfect seasons. I would piss off my best friend so much he went and bought the system just to try to find way to beat me.
    I remember being one of the first to dominate Diablo, then hacked it and would go around crashing randoms games for fun.

Now...I will WoW it up just wrek the wannabe's. It's rather funny when they find out I still mash buttons. Addons and keybinds are a joke.

PvE used to be so much better than it is now. The bosses were so much stronger and everyone in the raid had to do their jobs with precision or it all fell apart. At one point in time I would have even said it was harder than PvP since a single mistake in PvE was so much more unforgiving. I would not say that is true today. PvE has been nerfed to the point where killing a boss has lost its surge of excitement.

My main issue with PvP is that the people who tend to get in to it are all a bunch of whinny babies. Every so often I'll hop in to a BG and I'll be having a blast. I will be doing everything I can to help us win and then the BG chat will start. It's like every single BG is dominated by a bunch of little children that think if they just talk enough **** then people will play better. Then the game isn't about playing to win anymore. It becomes about talking trash to the people on your team. I am a bit too competitive for that. I play to win. If someone makes a mistake you aren't helping the situation by typing out a book explaining why person X is a terrible warlock. You need to shrug that off and drive on.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Wow the thought of a rogue with spirit gear just makes me sad. Your guildies must have really enjoyed your company.

I don't even remember quite how I ended up in that guild (the one before my current one), it was so long ago. I joined with the understanding that I wasn't going to raid and they said "okay". So nobody cared about my gear until one day when I was questing in Ungoro and a guildie inspected my gear and educated me about stats. I really had no idea! If it was leather and better on armor and agility, I equipped it. It was after that day that I went online and started asking question (my warlock probably had spirit gear then too for all I remember :huh:). Ya live and learn. :laugh:

I just cancelled my WoW subscription (got bored again) and one of the main reasons I was still playing after a 7-year run was because of my guild. The right fit does matter. I prefer casual and drama free. Longevity and how people treat each other still counts for something IMO. Especially nowadays where you can get decent gear with heroics, LFR and even PVP and have so many more options. My guild is killing bosses at a decent pace and the core raiding group is pretty committed, but they also know how to have fun and treat people decent and help each other out.

I used to make a lot of mistakes when I started out too. Like you said you live you learn. It is a hard balance to find a guild that progresses steadily and at the same time doesn't run itself like a regime. I am one of the lucky ones that can say honestly that I have seen it. It brings up the question of why wouldn't all guilds be like that.

I think that players who don't put enough stress on improvement don't progress as much. The ones that do aren't as relaxed. Typically you will find players put a priority on one side or the other which is why most guilds cater to one extreme or the other.
  • Izalie
    Izalie Posts: 2
    Options
    This has been done multiple times but does finishing the original Devil May Cry 3 without unlocking easy mode count as one? I was 11 and it was probably the proudest moment of my life, when after I spending a very long time planning to crack the disk into several different pieces, I eventually finished the game. (I managed to somehow sprain my wrist in the process)
  • jyneefur
    jyneefur Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was the best White Mage in FFXI. It's true. I was also amazing at half the other jobs. (The casters.. go figure.)

When I started playing WoW, I learned that "macros" were used so that people could press one button to cast a spell.

My FFXI Hume had typed. Everything. To this day, I can still type "/ma "Cure V" <person's name>" faster than anything else I can type.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    This has been done multiple times but does finishing the original Devil May Cry 3 without unlocking easy mode count as one? I was 11 and it was probably the proudest moment of my life, when after I spending a very long time planning to crack the disk into several different pieces, I eventually finished the game. (I managed to somehow sprain my wrist in the process)

I have only played the first Devil May Cry so I don't really know how hard the third one is. If it is a challenge then it counts. I would have to assume that it does count but perhaps someone who has had more experience with that particular game could chime in.
  • SylentZee
    SylentZee Posts: 262
    Options
    I'm about to hit 100K gamerscore on my XBL account with games fully completed like COD4 (those of you who played on Veteran know exactly why I put this game lol).

My gamertag is Silent Hav0c.