Spreadsheet for bodyfat, BMR, TDEE, progress tracker

Options

Replies

• perky12415
    Options
    For the activity calculator on simple set up there are two sections.
    1. Daily activity during a 40 hour work week that is more than just a desk-job sitting
    this is hours just during the work week??
    2. Exercise or consistent daily activity that applies
    this is minutes over a seven day period??

I stand a lot for my job so those hours would be counted under number 1 but no where under number 2 - yes.
    I also walk a lot (flat up to 3 mph and stairs sometimes as well) so this goes under number 1? or number 2? or both?

Where do I put the hours that I am standing (cooking for example) that are outside of work? Or is it not necessary to account for they day entirely? I can end up standing/walking for up to 8 or 9 hours a day.

I've been manually tracking the time based on the list below. But not separating the work week hours from the rest.

Standing / Walking: Cooking, easy walking, shopping
    Light exercise: Housework, gardening, brisk walking, golf
    Moderate exercise: Strength training, wood_chopping, most sports, bicycling
    Intense exercise: Maximum effort, intensity sports, fast running, fast rowing

The end goal is to find the easiest way to account for my activities to make sure they are entered correctly in the simple setup tab calculator.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    For the activity calculator on simple set up there are two sections.
    1. Daily activity during a 40 hour work week that is more than just a desk-job sitting
    this is hours just during the work week??
    2. Exercise or consistent daily activity that applies
    this is minutes over a seven day period??

I stand a lot for my job so those hours would be counted under number 1 but no where under number 2 - yes.
    I also walk a lot (flat up to 3 mph and stairs sometimes as well) so this goes under number 1? or number 2? or both?

Where do I put the hours that I am standing (cooking for example) that are outside of work? Or is it not necessary to account for they day entirely? I can end up standing/walking for up to 8 or 9 hours a day.

I've been manually tracking the time based on the list below. But not separating the work week hours from the rest.

Standing / Walking: Cooking, easy walking, shopping
    Light exercise: Housework, gardening, brisk walking, golf
    Moderate exercise: Strength training, wood_chopping, most sports, bicycling
    Intense exercise: Maximum effort, intensity sports, fast running, fast rowing

The end goal is to find the easiest way to account for my activities to make sure they are entered correctly in the simple setup tab calculator.

So you'll note the Sedentary is base activity that is built on, which already includes weekly - 40 hr work sitting, 56 hr sleeping, 65 hr sitting/standing, 7 hr slow walking. That's makes a BMR multiplier of 1.25 using Mifflin BMR, using Katch BMR it's 1.2 for women, 1.3 for men.

So if your job is or has actual standing or slow moving time rather than sitting, that is under increased Daily Activity as service trade. Or perhaps you do sit 40 hr desk job, but then work part time 16 hrs over weekend moving as volunteer at soup kitchen. That is additional time not counted, so you need to add 16 hrs to standing time.

Since it's not a big increase, hours of time during the whole week is fine (not just work week). Add 10 hrs, see how little it changes the TDEE really. But it does count and can add up. This a nurse walking around 35 hrs, with 5 hrs weekly spent lifting patients and supplies ect as more labor level. That adds up.

Minutes of exercise is easier over the week, because most people don't do so many hrs it would be hard to add up. Say you know you do 45 min x 3 gym classes a week, 30 min x 7 days walking dog 3-4mph, 45 min x 3 lifting, ect.
    That's usually pretty simple. Miss walking the dog one day, no big deal, don't worry about it. Know you are going to miss one of the gym classes weekly for 2 months, big deal, leave it out.

So standing for work under #1.
    If you walk fast as part of work, sounds like the other category of lifting or moving a lot applies better, which is actually the same as walking up to 3 mph exercise level. So perhaps you know 1 hr x 5 days is walking around the plant checking things out, minimal stopping and decent speed. There's 5 hrs under labor level.

Notice the base level gives you on avg 9.28 hrs daily of sitting and standing time, 1 hr of walking time daily too.
    Minor walking for the day is covered then. Unless you purposely park 15 min away from work to walk in - then log it as exercise for 30 min x 5 days. Do another 30 at lunch? Then 60 min x 5 days.

Just enter some figures in there, you'll notice it takes a bit to get big enough changes to TDEE to matter much, so just get in to ballpark for the daily activity part of it.
    So if your whole 9 hr work days is 8 hrs standing, with 30 min of that walking good speed, then 5 x 7.5 service, 5 x 0.5 labor.

So whatever is easiest to log, it only goes under one section, because they all get added together, and add to sedentary.

Don't worry, your RMR is taken out of the daily and exercise calories before being added to the sedentary base level, so no double counting there.
  • perky12415
    Options

So whatever is easiest to log, it only goes under one section, because they all get added together, and add to sedentary.

Based on this statement... I am only going to add activities to one section or the other rather than a combination of the two. And, only add what is above the base level given for sedentary. I will probably just add stuff to the exercise or consistent activity because the walking I do at work is not in the job but rather time I carve out (10-15 minutes each hour). I did make my desk a standing desk so I stand much more than sit but I won't worry about.

Did I come away with a legit plan?
  • heybales
    Options

Based on this statement... I am only going to add activities to one section or the other rather than a combination of the two. And, only add what is above the base level given for sedentary. I will probably just add stuff to the exercise or consistent activity because the walking I do at work is not in the job but rather time I carve out (10-15 minutes each hour). I did make my desk a standing desk so I stand much more than sit but I won't worry about.

Did I come away with a legit plan?

Well, you for sure don't want to add the same activity to daily and to exercise both, indeed one or the other. That is my main point.

But there is no exercise listing for standing 6 hr a day x 5 days a week. That is increase to daily activity, it does count. Trying to play everything on the safe side usually puts someone right back in the boat they are trying to get out of, eating too little for their activity level.

And walking is exercise then, since you got it down to the minute it sounds like. 8 hrs x 12.5 min/hr x 5 days = 500 min walking whatever speed it ends up being.
  • 22sep2013
    22sep2013 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just give up ... i really wanted this spreadsheet to work (to end the confusion between all the calculators out there) ... i have been loosing weight on 1700 Calories (been for a month and a half) and i have actually lost more than 1 pound a week ... i am 17 pounds over my goal weight (which is also the weight that is best according to the spreadsheet) ... my TDEE according to the spreadsheet is 1777 ... and my recommended intake according to the spreadsheet is 1320 calories ... i tried that for two days and when it was the time to workout i was too weak to do so, i literally felt i was starving...and so i upped my calories to what i felt was the minimum my body can tolerate with two days of strength training a week which is 1700 ... and i am loosing till now
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I just give up ... i really wanted this spreadsheet to work (to end the confusion between all the calculators out there) ... i have been loosing weight on 1700 Calories (been for a month and a half) and i have actually lost more than 1 pound a week ... i am 17 pounds over my goal weight (which is also the weight that is best according to the spreadsheet) ... my TDEE according to the spreadsheet is 1777 ... and my recommended intake according to the spreadsheet is 1320 calories ... i tried that for two days and when it was the time to workout i was too weak to do so, i literally felt i was starving...and so i upped my calories to what i felt was the minimum my body can tolerate with two days of strength training a week which is 1700 ... and i am loosing till now

I don't know how much activity you put down, but even if you do roughly 3-5 hours of activity with a 20% cut, it would be 1,422 instead of 1,320.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    bump -- thank you!
  • heybales
    Options

TDEE estimate - they are all estimates. Your observed results, starting from the high side, beats any estimate.

But you have to get up there first. Sounds like you did.

The purpose of this big calculator is to fail safe on the slightly higher side if possible, or at least not a big under-estimate, as many do to themselves when picking from 5 rough levels.
    But I've seen many make the same mistakes with the spreadsheet - leave out daily activity. Not count all their exercise or estimate on low side what they'll do, but always do more.

Were you honest in your daily activity and exercise time, and really doing what you put down as planned?
    For instance, SAHM with an older kid or two, NOT 40 hr sedentary desk job. Have to estimate, but probably minimal 5-6 hrs standing moving slightly during the day, plus more on the weekend days. So 6 x 7 = 42 hrs under daily activity service trades. Makes a difference.

So do you know what the weight is that you are losing, because the spreadsheet is also trying to help maintain muscle mass.

I'm guessing you got a low TDEG because you are doing lifting, so great retainer of muscle, allowing that steeper deficit - for fat and weight loss. Not performance.

So you may have a more naturally high metabolism than expected for your amount of LBM. You may have more LBM than the measurements are indicating, ect.

How close are the 2 bodyfat calc's?

What is the date on the Simple Setup tab at top left? 10/30 had some corrections on the Activity Calc between men and women, compared to several updates mere days before.

Also, your exercise burn level for high cardio or lifting may be so much more than the calculator is using. The lower cardio based on speed of walking comparison is very accurate, but once you go in to high cardio, you can easily outstrip what it is estimating.
    Same with lifting, which is based on sets and rest times. But you can make your lifting much more high burning cardio like by not resting 1-3 min, or doing jumping jacks during the rests, ect. In which case the time goes under high cardio, not lifting, because the cardio burn is higher.
    Only 2 sessions of lifting shouldn't make big difference, except in recommended amount of deficit if entered on lifting line, and it's really not.
  • perky12415
    Options
    I noticed you entered a field for a body composition scale or handheld device for bf.

Any recommendations for how best to use the composition scale for accuracy? I have one but I don't ever use it.
  • 22sep2013
    22sep2013 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you haybales ... yes i was as honest as possible (i may tend to over estimate my activity not the opposite since i prefer to consume more calories than less) ... but as you said i may have found my own estimate which i haven't noticed till you pointed it out ...

I hope what you said about my high metabolism is true ... :smile: ... because from my experience in the past 7 months i cannot eat any less than 1600 calories (1700 being what i call my sweet spot where i feel fine and still loose) ... and not because less than 1600 makes me hungry ... it drains me totally ...
    I live a sedentary life ... i have no kids ... and rarely do any real moving ... but i am an academic and researcher (maybe that consumes more calories i don't know) and i spend a lot of time writing and reading
  • heybales
    Options
    I noticed you entered a field for a body composition scale or handheld device for bf.

Any recommendations for how best to use the composition scale for accuracy? I have one but I don't ever use it.

You do need to look at the manual, some are very different, even among same manufacturer.

I've had one, your feet were supposed to be moist. Another one dry.
    One said in the morning, when normally best weigh-in is. Saw another manual that said before dinner was best time.

Since hydration levels affect the electrical impedance, anything to keep that consistent is needed.
    Current athletic one does mention the other facts that should play a part, and I include these in all comments about valid weigh-in day.

Morning (or afternoon if your scale says to) after rest day eating normal sodium levels, not sore from last workout.

Rest day means no lowered glucose and water weight from a workout you have topped off from. Normal sodium eating means no unusual gain or loss of sodium retained water. Not sore means usually no retain water in muscle for repair process, though you don't have to be sore to still have that extra water.

Just as those things affect a weigh-in day, also a comp scale.

But feet moist or dry has big bearing, and when they say to use it. Confirm other settings are correct to. The more specific the better it can estimate from the tables/formula it's using. Like height is nice (unless it merely uses it to tell you your BMI, some do), had one with neck size, wrist size, gender, ect. Just confirm those are correct in case they are used in the formula.
  • heybales
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you haybales ... yes i was as honest as possible (i may tend to over estimate my activity not the opposite since i prefer to consume more calories than less) ... but as you said i may have found my own estimate which i haven't noticed till you pointed it out ...

I hope what you said about my high metabolism is true ... :smile: ... because from my experience in the past 7 months i cannot eat any less than 1600 calories (1700 being what i call my sweet spot where i feel fine and still loose) ... and not because less than 1600 makes me hungry ... it drains me totally ...
    I live a sedentary life ... i have no kids ... and rarely do any real moving ... but i am an academic and researcher (maybe that consumes more calories i don't know) and i spend a lot of time writing and reading

So you might want to use the Progress tab, far right, and enter in a month of actual eating amounts, and how much was lost then.

You really need complete days too, one or two with a meal missing may not be bad, but an estimate of any sort is better than 0.

It'll tell you how many hrs to add to the Activity Calc to make the TDEE match what your weight loss and eating level have actually shown.

Then you can see if the TDEG recommended is what you are hitting already. If lifting, it may still be saying less than desired for performance.
    Then again for safety of retaining muscle mass, it may recommend less deficit than you currently are causing.
  • Paula038
    Paula038 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for a great spreadsheet! I have spent almost two days playing around with it. I seem to have added a considerable amount of LBM from strength training in the last six weeks - yay for the newbie effect. Two questions, though. I have the 10/30 spreadsheet, which I exported to Excel. I notice the LBM and BF numbers always don't add up to my weight - the difference ranges from -2 to 2 lbs. They do add up on two occasions - did I simply type something wrong on the other three, or is there a reason they don't always add up? Also, at what average HR does medium cardio become high cardio? I walk at 3.5 mph at an incline of 6, and my average HR is often in the late 130s (138 today). Since my max HR is about 175, does this count as medium or high? (If it is medium, my TDEE is only 6.5% more than BMR, but it looks much better if it is high cardio - over 20% difference).
  • Paula038
    Options
    Thanks for a great spreadsheet! I have spent almost two days playing around with it. I seem to have added a considerable amount of LBM from strength training in the last six weeks - yay for the newbie effect. Two questions, though. I have the 10/30 spreadsheet, which I exported to Excel. I notice the LBM and BF numbers always don't add up to my weight - the difference ranges from -2 to 2 lbs. They do add up on two occasions - did I simply type something wrong on the other three, or is there a reason they don't always add up? Also, at what average HR does medium cardio become high cardio? I walk at 3.5 mph at an incline of 6, and my average HR is often in the late 130s (138 today). Since my max HR is about 175, does this count as medium or high? (If it is medium, my TDEE is only 6.5% more than BMR, but it looks much better if it is high cardio - over 20% difference).
    Actually, forgot to update the information from the avg eaten daily calc in the progress sheet, and the new TDEE is only 6.7% above BMR. Yikes.
  • heybales
    Options
    Actually, forgot to update the information from the avg eaten daily calc in the progress sheet, and the new TDEE is only 6.7% above BMR. Yikes.

LBM + BF should always equal cell B15 of current weight, except for rounding errors at display, it should never be off that much.
    Did you enter the results of the average BF calcs in to the yellow BF cell? The calc averages is not used automatically, because some have their own figure from Bodpod or hydrostatic test.
    I hope Excel isn't doing something funky. Just looked at it in Excel, nothing funky in mine anyway.

The avgHR where medium cardio becomes high cardio is whatever yours is when walking 4mph flat. It's individual. It's no comment on the level of effort, but merely to estimate the calories burned best, since walking is very tested and formula's highly accurate. So comparing everything to that helps.
    And as you get more fit - that will change too. Your HR for walking flat 4mph should lower over time until it reaches a stopping point. Now, if weight stays the same the burn stays the same, and the calc does that correctly. That's why normally if you don't increase your effort as weight drops, you burn less.

And during any of that time of improved fitness, that makes it very personal to you. I'm betting 3.5 mph 6% incline is higher HR than walking flat 4 mph. Maybe not, you'll need to test. And that would probably never change, even though the HR of both would lower. Incline would always be higher than flat.
    Just warm-up walk for about 5 min, then see what the HR is after 5 min at 4 mph flat.

Any workout you do 5 bpm or more over that is high cardio, anything less is medium. You can test 3 mph too for seeing what falls under low cardio. So a yoga class may spike higher, but the avg of the whole workout is likely less. Except hot yoga which is artificially raising the HR because of the heat, not the effort so much - that doesn't count.
    Like aqua aerobics in a hot tub, or stair stepping in a sauna. Especially naked.

If your TDEE is very close to sedentary, not much activity in the activity calc, it should be 1.2 x BMR, plus a little bit for the exercise. Something sounds messed up.

Google does appear to make mistakes converting the spreadsheet sometimes. Might download another copy under another name and see if that still happens.

In reality, your TDEE is lower than a males of the same LBM by 5-10%, I selected avg 7.5%.
    The most accuracy came from examining the sedentary TDEE, but really the BMR was lower too, because women have smaller organs that are the main metabolic burners.
    But I didn't adjust the BMR because it wasn't as universal a difference as sedentary TDEE was.

So really, your BMR is lower too.

Still something up with your copy though.
  • Paula038
    Options

LBM + BF should always equal cell B15 of current weight, except for rounding errors at display, it should never be off that much.
    Did you enter the results of the average BF calcs in to the yellow BF cell? The calc averages is not used automatically, because some have their own figure from Bodpod or hydrostatic test.
    I hope Excel isn't doing something funky. Just looked at it in Excel, nothing funky in mine anyway.

The avgHR where medium cardio becomes high cardio is whatever yours is when walking 4mph flat. It's individual. It's no comment on the level of effort, but merely to estimate the calories burned best, since walking is very tested and formula's highly accurate. So comparing everything to that helps.
    And as you get more fit - that will change too. Your HR for walking flat 4mph should lower over time until it reaches a stopping point. Now, if weight stays the same the burn stays the same, and the calc does that correctly. That's why normally if you don't increase your effort as weight drops, you burn less.

And during any of that time of improved fitness, that makes it very personal to you. I'm betting 3.5 mph 6% incline is higher HR than walking flat 4 mph. Maybe not, you'll need to test. And that would probably never change, even though the HR of both would lower. Incline would always be higher than flat.
    Just warm-up walk for about 5 min, then see what the HR is after 5 min at 4 mph flat.

Any workout you do 5 bpm or more over that is high cardio, anything less is medium. You can test 3 mph too for seeing what falls under low cardio. So a yoga class may spike higher, but the avg of the whole workout is likely less. Except hot yoga which is artificially raising the HR because of the heat, not the effort so much - that doesn't count.
    Like aqua aerobics in a hot tub, or stair stepping in a sauna. Especially naked.

If your TDEE is very close to sedentary, not much activity in the activity calc, it should be 1.2 x BMR, plus a little bit for the exercise. Something sounds messed up.

Google does appear to make mistakes converting the spreadsheet sometimes. Might download another copy under another name and see if that still happens.

In reality, your TDEE is lower than a males of the same LBM by 5-10%, I selected avg 7.5%.
    The most accuracy came from examining the sedentary TDEE, but really the BMR was lower too, because women have smaller organs that are the main metabolic burners.
    But I didn't adjust the BMR because it wasn't as universal a difference as sedentary TDEE was.

So really, your BMR is lower too.

Still something up with your copy though.

Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I assume I simply made a copying error when I typed the red values into the lower section of the progress tab. Since the first one and the last one happen to be correct, I will just ignore the middle ones. Too much effort to recalculate them since I won’t use the old values much anyway.

The tiny difference between estimated BMR and TDEE is why I joined this group in the first place. When I suddenly picked up weight after maintaining for years, I assumed it was age-related, and eating less and doing more would soon sort it out. At 6’1”, my Katch BMR at my current weight is 1685. My average calorie intake in the first 4.5 weeks was 1370 and I worked up to 9:20 hours of exercise a week, including both cardio and strength training. I lost 7 lbs at first (goal 26 lbs), but then picked up 1.5 lbs.

Worried, I read up about BMR/TDEE, and upped intake to BMR (and added protein) while cutting exercise to 8 hours (just saw from the spreadsheet that a 300 calorie jump may have been too much too soon). Total gain so far is 2.7 lbs, although my measurements haven’t changed.

I have spent days reading the forum, and am quite confused as to what to do next. I thought of eating at TDEE for a while, but have no idea what my real TDEE is. The calculated figures are impressive (2764), but I then did the “Avg eaten daily calc” in the progress tab (I extended the table to include all values since I started dieting). It estimates my TDEE at only 1795 (a -177 adjustment in the daily activity cell). Slightly frivolously, I calculated that, if the BMR multiplier of 1.64 were correct, my actual BMR would be less than 1100, or almost 40% less than Katch. Or else my body is just really efficient at exercising! I will do the 4 mph test this afternoon, so these figures may change a bit.

Sorry to bother you about this, but I have come across many of your posts in the last week or so, and you seem particularly well informed. Any advice on what to do next would be appreciated.
  • heybales
    Options
    The tiny difference between estimated BMR and TDEE is why I joined this group in the first place. When I suddenly picked up weight after maintaining for years, I assumed it was age-related, and eating less and doing more would soon sort it out. At 6’1”, my Katch BMR at my current weight is 1685. My average calorie intake in the first 4.5 weeks was 1370 and I worked up to 9:20 hours of exercise a week, including both cardio and strength training. I lost 7 lbs at first (goal 26 lbs), but then picked up 1.5 lbs.

Worried, I read up about BMR/TDEE, and upped intake to BMR (and added protein) while cutting exercise to 8 hours (just saw from the spreadsheet that a 300 calorie jump may have been too much too soon). Total gain so far is 2.7 lbs, although my measurements haven’t changed.

I have spent days reading the forum, and am quite confused as to what to do next. I thought of eating at TDEE for a while, but have no idea what my real TDEE is. The calculated figures are impressive (2764), but I then did the “Avg eaten daily calc” in the progress tab (I extended the table to include all values since I started dieting). It estimates my TDEE at only 1795 (a -177 adjustment in the daily activity cell). Slightly frivolously, I calculated that, if the BMR multiplier of 1.64 were correct, my actual BMR would be less than 1100, or almost 40% less than Katch. Or else my body is just really efficient at exercising! I will do the 4 mph test this afternoon, so these figures may change a bit.

Since you were clearly under-eating for a while, you can't confirm how much of your weight lost was muscle mass, so that calculated TDEE from eating levels and weight lost won't work. Muscle when broken down only provides 600 calories per lb, not 3500 like fat. Much easier to burn through a pound of muscle. And much harder to make it. Not so bad to retain it.
    Also sounds like you increased your exercise routine, so again, you are coming up with an average TDEE over a span of time where actually the TDEE value changed a lot.

You can't use that method yet, you'll be chasing inaccuracies and probably a spiraling down metabolism, as evidenced by the fact you came up with 1795, when the 2764 sounds much more realistic for your current level of activity.

I'd indeed suggest removing some stress from your body. Either by exercising less (since that's not going to cause weight loss but body improvement if you have enough food), or by eating with less deficit, closer and/or up to estimated TDEE for a couple weeks.

You likely gained some desired glucose stores so far, body has probably been running on some level of depleted, and was glad to get some. That increased your metabolism right there.

I'd increase cal's for a week at a time, about 200 extra daily. Then the next week, another 200. Until at TDEE for a couple weeks. Then take the TDEG given.
    And keep the math in mind.
    If you increase 200 calories and in 3-4 days gain 1-2 lbs, it can't be fat. You'd have to eat over maintenance for 2 weeks 250 daily to gain 1 lb of fat, if not doing any exercise that would actually use the extra calories to improve your body.

As to how long to really reset - when eating at 1370, did you follow MFP correctly and eat back your exercise calories? Or that was it?
    If that was it, ya, you need a reset from the massive stress you put on your body.
  • Paula038
    Options
    As to how long to really reset - when eating at 1370, did you follow MFP correctly and eat back your exercise calories? Or that was it?
    If that was it, ya, you need a reset from the massive stress you put on your body.

Er, yes, the 1370 was gross. My doctor had wanted me to do 1200, so I felt a bit guilty about over-eating. Average net intake over the period was in the 800s, and I was so terribly pleased that on major workout days I posted 1400 cal deficits. (I log on a different site, which seems to encourage big deficits.) Now I shudder.

Thanks so much for the advice. I will swop some cardio sessions for gentle "recovery" walks, keep training to failure on the weights, and eat more in the manner you suggested. And try not to freak out every time the scale jumps overnight.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Can I just pipe in and say how awesome this spreadsheet is? Like really, if you are lifting you need it in your life! I started NROL4W about 3 weeks ago and I've gained 2lbs. Although it was expected it's always a little disheartening.

HOWEVER...because of this amazeballs tracker, I just figured out that I actually GAINED 5.6lbs of LBM and LOST 3.6lbs of fat...yaaass!!
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Bump