MFP Grand Tour Cycling Challenge - Discussion/Signup Thread

Options

Replies

• goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    I'll be logging on Garmin Connect - should I submit the elevation numbers with the correction enabled or not? - or as the machine spews it out?
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    I'll be logging on Garmin Connect - should I submit the elevation numbers with the correction enabled or not? - or as the machine spews it out?

I normally submit the "as recorded", though I do a "reality check" between the two, the recorded figure should always be higher than the "corrected", because the "corrected" works to the granularity of the contour lines of the areas mapping - in the uk that's 10m - so anything under 10m up or down doesn't register whereas the barometric recording works at 1ft intervals, BUT can get seriously mixed up if you are riding into a gusty headwind - I had one route, which I did on consecutive weekends, identical distance but one registered as 1100m of ascent, the other over 1600m... only difference was the 1600m route was ridden in 10mph gusting to 40mph whereas the 1100m was ridden in 2-3mph gentle constant breeze...

so, in short - if the as recorded seems stupidly high, or a lot higher than the same ride on other days, submit the corrected version - otherwise, submit the recorded one - those 9m up and down rollers can knock it out of you if you do lots of 'em :laugh:
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options

I normally submit the "as recorded", though I do a "reality check" between the two, the recorded figure should always be higher than the "corrected", because the "corrected" works to the granularity of the contour lines of the areas mapping - in the uk that's 10m - so anything under 10m up or down doesn't register whereas the barometric recording works at 1ft intervals, BUT can get seriously mixed up if you are riding into a gusty headwind - I had one route, which I did on consecutive weekends, identical distance but one registered as 1100m of ascent, the other over 1600m... only difference was the 1600m route was ridden in 10mph gusting to 40mph whereas the 1100m was ridden in 2-3mph gentle constant breeze...

so, in short - if the as recorded seems stupidly high, or a lot higher than the same ride on other days, submit the corrected version - otherwise, submit the recorded one - those 9m up and down rollers can knock it out of you if you do lots of 'em :laugh:

Weirdly I always find the corrected figures for elevation are higher than those that come out of the Garmin when uploaded. Maybe its where I live - who knows.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Weirdly I always find the corrected figures for elevation are higher than those that come out of the Garmin when uploaded. Maybe its where I live - who knows.

I've just tried it on maybe a dozen of my rides - pretty much covers all the routes I've done over the last year (sad, isn't it!) and they all come out at around 10% lower (or more, in the case of that absurdly windy route and similar!)... as you say, maybe it's just where you live...

I guess, basically, use whichever you think is the most accurate :shrug:
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    well - for the purposes of the logging, I need the distance in Km and altitude gain in Metres, so you may find it simpler to switch your settings on Strava or Garmin Connect to that for the duration - I have my personal settings that way all the time, so whatever I view in those programs shows ME the details in that format, so if you wish to keep your settings on imperial measures for your own purposes, and just "do the math" yourself thats fine - however, as I say, declarations have to be in the correct form - if you declare in miles or feet, you'll get a "null" for that day

D'oh. I have it all set in an excel sheet where it will do the conversion for me so submitting in metric is not an issue. It's funny, I think in weight terms metric, but for some reason I can't wrap my head around equivalency for distance/elevation. The rides will be submitted in metric just like they were for the Giro challenge. Just having a bit of fun...
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    all my logging is done in Km's and metres, weights in Kg's for the purposes of weighing me, or food - but I still THINK in lb's,stones, miles feet and iinches and of course road signs and distances are still in Miles over here - fortunately, i'm of an age where mental arithmetic was encouraged, and so I just convert on the fly... 5/8ths is close enough to go from miles/km, 9/20ths for kg/lb and so on...
  • tvcjosh
    tvcjosh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    well - for the purposes of the logging, I need the distance in Km and altitude gain in Metres, so you may find it simpler to switch your settings on Strava or Garmin Connect to that for the duration - I have my personal settings that way all the time, so whatever I view in those programs shows ME the details in that format, so if you wish to keep your settings on imperial measures for your own purposes, and just "do the math" yourself thats fine - however, as I say, declarations have to be in the correct form - if you declare in miles or feet, you'll get a "null" for that day :wink:

I'm not being stroppy or awkward - it's just that

a) it's a continental themed challenge,
    b) rule #24 and
    c) I'm not prepared to do conversions for 20-odd people, for 21 days worth of logging... it takes enough time as it is!

So - being metrically challenged tvcjosh, do I take it your a Septic as well ? Because if that's the case...

Dossard_311.jpg

... here's your Dossard Monsieur Team #2 Captain - Sur La Plaque :wink:

(and for anyone who doesn't speak the language of the peloton, that’s French for, “Put that thing in the big ring, ****tard.”)

GAME ON.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Okay - the challenge is now live - I've created an entries thread at

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1031650-mfp-tour-de-france-grand-tour-challenge-rides-only

(currently locked, until I've posted an initial howto/example posting :wink:)

and the logging spreadsheet is available to view at

http://www.editgrid.com/user/thebigyin/MFP_LeTour_Challenge_2013

I guess there's only one more thing to say...

Allez, Allez, Allez !!!
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Thanks TBY!

Can't wait for the (real) stage 1 to start too.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Thanks TBY!

Can't wait for the (real) stage 1 to start too.

Just rolling out now... :woot:

Oh BTW - Just deleted 2 entries from the RIDES ONLY thread - one for not using the template, the other for being a non-ride post. I'm not joking folks - that thread is for RIDES ONLY, IN THE PRESCRIBED FORMAT! anything else, stick it in here!
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I did the www.burnseries.co.uk race today with my 12yr old son, didn't track it as it was painfully slow (don't tell him that, he did awesome, he decided to take his BMX to complete the 10km mountain bike course because he felt more confident on it) Will declare a DNS for today when i update my 105 mile sportive ride tomorrow.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I did the www.burnseries.co.uk race today with my 12yr old son, didn't track it as it was painfully slow (don't tell him that, he did awesome, he decided to take his BMX to complete the 10km mountain bike course because he felt more confident on it) Will declare a DNS for today when i update my 105 mile sportive ride tomorrow.

No worries - hope there are some others with undeclared rides on team #1 to pick up the last 35km or so... otherwise we've missed our first target already :frown: Sadly, for my first ride back after a 5 day enforced lay-off, 43k was about my limit, and I couldn't face getting back out and pick up the slack last night.

Well done to the other 2 teams though - they've already aced stage 1!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Strava had me taking a 215 mile detour on my club ride today. I broke it down into segments to get actual info. Unless of course you want to count my 105mph average speed today. Segment breakdown matches up with Node. It was a social out and back ride we do often always btwn 25 & 26 miles.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Strava had me taking a 215 mile detour on my club ride today. I broke it down into segments to get actual info. Unless of course you want to count my 105mph average speed today. Segment breakdown matches up with Node. It was a social out and back ride we do often always btwn 25 & 26 miles.

It's fine as it stands :thumbsup:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I've had a request for a "Late Starter Ticket" - and as team 3's a little shorthanded, it seems churlish not to accept it :smile:

321 - Dahamac
    322 - glenncomisky
    323 - RoadkingDavid
    324 - CentralCaliCycling
    325 - daz_automatic

and on the subject of "belated"...

Dossard_322.jpg

Dossard_323.jpg

Dossard_324.jpg

Dossard_325.jpg
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Sorry Team 1, was taken out by the GI monster again thbis weekend (guess I no longer have the cast-iron digestive tract I used to) and didn't get to ride, sucks as I might've banged out the missing mileage. Back on the bike today for my usual Monday shennanigans and the 3 day work week looks awful good for some riding.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Work has gone really badly over the last three days. I've had about 10 hours of sleep. If all goes well, i should get in a ride tomorrow.

I haven't even had to read any news about the actual, real TDF.

Glad some of you are getting in some fantastic rides.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Sorry Team 1, was taken out by the GI monster again thbis weekend (guess I no longer have the cast-iron digestive tract I used to) and didn't get to ride, sucks as I might've banged out the missing mileage. Back on the bike today for my usual Monday shennanigans and the 3 day work week looks awful good for some riding.

Do what you can, when you can, and don't rush back into riding 'till you're fit and well - a dose of "The Lemonds" can knock you for six, and take a while to recover from.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Work has gone really badly over the last three days. I've had about 10 hours of sleep. If all goes well, i should get in a ride tomorrow.

I haven't even had to read any news about the actual, real TDF.

Glad some of you are getting in some fantastic rides.

Again Tom, don't sweat it, that's why we're on teams here - when it goes pear shaped for one of us, the others pick up the slack... at the end of the day, work comes first - it puts food on the table and a roof over your head. You can't spread a "virtual leaders jersey" on a cracker and feed the kids with it...
  • katozdad
    katozdad Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Have the school run tomorrow, but negotiated time out for Saturday to put in a big ride. So am treating tomorrow as a rest day. Here's hoping the weather is good this weekend. Hoping to take the usual route up past Pontefract, so might see you on the roads TBY!
This discussion has been closed.