Um... Thanks??? Unsolicited Stay Away From CrossFit Advice

Options
124»

Replies

• quirkyone1
    quirkyone1 Posts: 78
    Options
    Yeah I got health_gal'd about my response to ripped hands...maybe she's now stalking crossfit groups. It seems like such a weird way to spend your time!

There is a weird backlash against Crossfit going on. I guess it is a very "bro" culture (its not "right" for girls to lift weights) and people don't understand it. Personally I ran into more of a "*****" culture at a regular gym than I do my box.

There was something on Jezabel (http://jezebel.com/this-is-what-happens-if-you-question-crossfits-tough-493110075) about a CF class and a LOT of the comments by female crossfitters missed the point of the "girls" and the heroes. I actually laughed out loud at the one comment that said all Heroes are male. Um... no. I've done Victoria, and a couple others who were FEMALE soldiers who were KIA.

That Jezebel article was so full of ridiculousness.

I finally got health_gal'd today, warning me about the dangers of overhead press. I'm never going to be able to use my shoulder again, apparently.
  • shaywallis
    shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I got a message from her about my hands. I only posted that in this group. so yea, I think she is lurking. I bet she has an alias
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    What a sad, pathetic individual to dedicate so much of her time to discouraging others from their chosen fitness path. Seriously, how empty must your life be to spend this much time and effort on something that is not your business.
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    I just got Health_Gal'd about my post on torn up hands. I was almost starting to feel left out!

Apparently crossfit is too extreme for me, cause she knows what is best for everyone .....***ahem sarcasm!
    But wasn't that post in this group?...

Yup, I posted that topic just in this group. She is just looking to get up in other people's biz. I didn't even respond to her.
  • leenie96
    leenie96 Posts: 65
    Options
    I've heard about this crazy lady for some months now, and when I finally posted for support, she hit me up. I feel like I'm Crossfit official now, it's like achieving a milestone lol

Here was my final response to her after she kept giving me her advice even though she's never even tried it:

"I still don't understand your attitude when you can find those irresponsible ANYWHERE. Sorry, but I don't think it's overpriced, my PT sessions were more expensive at a couple of traditional gyms I've attended and they never got me at a level in my health as high as it is now. The benefits far outweigh any argument you may have. I think it's funny that you troll the Crossfit threads as if you really had nothing better to do. It's not like you're even a "victim" with a vendetta, really though, get a life."
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I got a message from her today, as well. My reply was succinct, I blocked her, and then copied her email into one that I sent to Olivia. I am of the opinion that what she is doing crosses the lines of what is acceptable on the site. If you have not already reported her to a mod/admin, I enocurage you to do so.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I got a message from her today, as well. My reply was succinct, I blocked her, and then copied her email into one that I sent to Olivia. I am of the opinion that what she is doing crosses the lines of what is acceptable on the site. If you have not already reported her to a mod/admin, I encourage you to do so.

THIS
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I'm glad she is a strong woman and loves to help anyone she can in her crusade. She pulled an intervention on me. I was held captive against my will until I could convince her I was done with crossfit. Please don't tell her I'm still here, she has me skeered she might pull some VooDoo shiat.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I got the following response from Olivia yesterday...
    Dear Tobi,

Thank you very much for taking the time to let me know about the message you received from Health_Gal. I apologize that you had this experience. As you guessed, you are not the first user to report her reaching out with these unwelcome messages via PM, but it does help us decide what actions (or in this case additional actions) are appropriate to take when we hear from multiple users.

Thank you for having already blocked her to prevent receiving additional messages. We will follow up with her directly regarding our concerns over this pattern of behavior and if we aren't able to resolve it will take additional actions as needed.

Thank you for using MyFitnessPal!

Sincerely,
    Olivia
    MFP Community Manager

Just want to ask you again to please report her if you have not already done so. The mods/admins are aware of her behavior but are relying on us to help steer them as they decide how best to address her behavior.
  • Melissaf0925
    Melissaf0925 Posts: 110
    Options
    I'm glad she is a strong woman and loves to help anyone she can in her crusade. She pulled an intervention on me. I was held captive against my will until I could convince her I was done with crossfit. Please don't tell her I'm still here, she has me skeered she might pull some VooDoo shiat.
    Message of the week!
  • georgie304
    georgie304 Posts: 143
    Options
    Ya'll are hilarious! I have been CFing since March and I am in love!

Is she the Anti-Christ of CF? She will bring peace to all of our miserable lives? Love my box. The community is amazing. Looking forward to talking with other CFers. Friends and family just don't get it.
  • turab
    turab Posts: 6
    Options
    I just got Health_Gal-ed yesterday. I feel like such a part of the group now!

Aww.....you guys *BLUSH*
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand why anyone would go out of their way to preach to others about crossfit being something terrible. Just because it hasn't been around as long as others stuff doesn't make it bad. I guess to these people the unknown is a little scary. I'm sorry my workouts scare you people. But hey, I guess I'm just a beast that you can't handle.

So for all you nay sayers, if you don't like what you see, change the channel. See, all better now little wee people who are scared to learn new things.