Running Injuries

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Anyone ever hurt their peroneus (or fibularis) muscles/tendons?

I think that's what I've injured. I completed the 3rd run of Week 5 in C25K and, during my cool down walk, I got this stabbing pain above my ankle toward the outside back of my calf. Nothing traumatic happened during the run and there was no swelling or anything like that. I suspect it could be due to the uneven/cambered trail I run on in the park. That was last Sunday and I haven't been able to fully do a calf stretch since without a prickly, sharp, stabbing feeling in that area that occasionally radiates to the back center of my leg just beneat the calf.

Standing on the toes makes it feel better and springing off the foot while walking seems to be the most uncomfortable part. Stairs are tricky and makes it feel worse. :frown:

Running became such a great stress-reliever after getting over the initial hump and I'm really bummed that I've had to stop (though I'm SO tempted to try). I wonder if anyone on MFP has any suggestions on how not to lose the progress I've made over the last weeks? I saw that one recommendation was elliptical training. I can try that, and anything else that won't hurt my leg (or maybe help it) that I can do?

Thanks so much for any suggestions or recommendations.

Ice it and stretch your calf muscles.
  • chachabear79
    chachabear79 Posts: 14 Member
    OK, I bought a new pair shoes.went running outside yesterday and all was well.no problems with my shin splints, but today did the same routine on the treadmill ,:noway shin splints are hurting like crazy . What gives. can anybody explain to me why the difference . :noway:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    OK, I bought a new pair shoes.went running outside yesterday and all was well.no problems with my shin splints, but today did the same routine on the treadmill ,:noway shin splints are hurting like crazy . What gives. can anybody explain to me why the difference . :noway:

Don't know. I have the same issues. I try to make sure I'm not heel striking, but I'm a little more sore when I do the treadmill.
  • starchile
    starchile Posts: 248 Member
    LOVE this thread!!! Thank you for the very useful info!
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    I think I pulled a muscle in my hip during my last run. I noticed pain after I finished and was doing my cool down walk. It hurt for about 2 days, then seemed to subside. I was pain free today, then when I started my run I immediately felt the pain there again. It lasted about 15 seconds. Then it either subsided or I blocked it from my mind because it was painful again after my run and still is now several hours later. Mostly when I get up from a sitting position.

I don't know if there are any doctors or physiotherapists here, but it hurts when I lean down sideways towards the affected side. I feel more of a stretch when I lean down away from the affected side. I am going to physio tomorrow anyway so will make sure I mention it, I will probably be able to get some treatment on it right away.

Just wondered though, if anyone else has experienced an injury like this.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Sounds like you have bursitis, an inflammation of the fluid-filled sacs that lubricate your joints. Usually that is caused by tight hamstrings or an inflamed IT band. After your warm up walk, briefly stretch your hamstrings and IT band.

For the hamstrings:
    standing_hamstring_stretch.jpg

For the IT band:
    IT%20Band%20stretch%201.jpg
    ilio1and2.gif?w=225&h=248

For the hips:
    hip_flexor_stretch.jpg

After your runs make sure you really focus on the stretching. You really should do each stretch you do twice. The first rep is to just loosen the muscle, that is the one you hold the longest but no more than 25-30 seconds. The second rep you hold for only 15 seconds, but you go deeper into the stretch. You stop at the thresold, which means any further and the stretch would be painful. That second rep should be uncomfortable but no pain.

When you get home, take an anti-inflammatory and ice in the general area where the pain is. Then later that night, or after icing (or both, lol), use a foam roller to roll out the area. It will hurt and you will curse that hard piece of foam...but oh the wonders a foam roller does!

IT Band:
    it-band-foam-roll.jpg

Hamstrings:
    foam-roller-hamstring_thumb.jpg

Hip Flexor:
    FmRW_Hip-Flexor-1__201110DD_122817.jpg
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    What about pain on the top outside edge of your foot? I've been dealing with that for a few days and debating whether it's a new runner/fat/out of shape thing, or something more serious I need to see a doctor about.
  • rduhlir
    Pain on the top of your foot the way you describe sounds like impoper footwear or laces too tight. If you research different ways to tie your shoes you might be able to find a way that will help with the issue.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Thanks for the stretching info, the photos are especially helpful!
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    I think I pulled a muscle in my hip during my last run. I noticed pain after I finished and was doing my cool down walk. It hurt for about 2 days, then seemed to subside. I was pain free today, then when I started my run I immediately felt the pain there again. It lasted about 15 seconds. Then it either subsided or I blocked it from my mind because it was painful again after my run and still is now several hours later. Mostly when I get up from a sitting position.

I don't know if there are any doctors or physiotherapists here, but it hurts when I lean down sideways towards the affected side. I feel more of a stretch when I lean down away from the affected side. I am going to physio tomorrow anyway so will make sure I mention it, I will probably be able to get some treatment on it right away.

Bursitis in the hip can cause a pain, usually more intense after you are done running. For me it was more of a tightness with a almost burning pain right where your butt=side meets your hip. The only way I can control it was to stop running for about 2 weeks, started a weight training program that focused on my core and legs, and very gradually started running again slowly and only a couple miles at a time. Did that for at least 2 months. Still doing the strength training also
  • rduhlir

Bursitis in the hip can cause a pain, usually more intense after you are done running. For me it was more of a tightness with a almost burning pain right where your butt=side meets your hip. The only way I can control it was to stop running for about 2 weeks, started a weight training program that focused on my core and legs, and very gradually started running again slowly and only a couple miles at a time. Did that for at least 2 months. Still doing the strength training also

Tightness with a burning pain sounds like weak gluteus medius and minimus muscles. In your weight training you should focus on exercises that help to target those muscles. People always forget about them. Legs raises are excellent ways to target those muscles. Utilize the leg straps on the pully machines to do stand up versions of the exercise:

cable-machine-standing-leg-lifts.jpg
  • I haven't really been running in almost a year. My bursitis has been bothering me on and off. I started the C25K program yesterday and boy are my hips are sore today! When I get off of work I will be doing the RICE thing but until then I'm in pain (I stit all day and it makes it worse). To make matters worse I am in the military and my PT test is in August so there is no taking a break for me :(

Hopefully the ice, stretching, and 800mg Ibuprofen will help me out!
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Started developing pain in the ball of left foot. Wasn't bad and I ignored it now its gotten worse. I can walk on it Googled it and sounds like my metatarsal arch Have you ever heard of this type of injury Right now RICE Wonder how long to wait any other advice??. Im think at last a month Then start back slow. I increased my mileage way too fast. Hope I got it in time
  • thegirlinbldg8
    thegirlinbldg8 Posts: 28 Member
    this is wonderful! Thank you! I just started the c25k and my foot and leg have been bothering me (I have a flat foot). Going to get some arch supports and see if that helps!
  • jeannab13
    jeannab13 Posts: 8
    I was on week 3 of couch to 5K on July 2 and on the last jog session I felt a pull and stab on my inner ankle - just behind that bone that sticks out. I finished the cool down - limping - and the next morning could barely put weight on it without pain shooting up and down from that point. July 4 I taped it with KT Tape (my PT for elbow used this and now I use it for anything that hurts) and went to the lake - stupid me kicked a huge rock when I was kicking off to swim and cut my foot. I have broken the pinky toe on the same foot 2 other times and sprained it really bad a 3rd time - 2 years ago (all within 8 months). This time felt like it and the 4th toe were broken - as I could not put weight on it. Went to doctor and nothing broken but he put me in a boot for 4 weeks due to both the sprained ankle sprained toes/foot. Its July 17 and still having pain down the last toe bone and ankle. I have not worked out since the 2nd (recovering from severe tendonitis in right elbow and am not allowed to lift or weight train etc... with that. Stuck watching calories - pretty much.
    Any tips for when I do start back up to my C25K routine?? And anything else I can do until I can get out of the boot?
  • thx and i realized i may got the running kneed:(
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Time to post a new thread.

Each week I will be posting a new running injury post on this thread. During your running career you will become injured. That is just the nature of the beast. Being able to identify the injury and how to rehabilitate and heal it will help you as you continue on to becoming the stronger, better you. The first topic of discussion will be Iliotibial-Band Syndrome.

Note: I am not a doctor, and all articles that will be posted will include a reference to it. As with any injury, please seek the medical advice from your family doctor, as these are simply informational posts.

Iliotibial-Band Syndrom

Anatomy Lesson
    Your iliotibial band (ITB) is a ligament-like structure that starts at your pelvis and runs along the outside of your thigh to the top of your shinbone (tibia). When you run, your ITB rubs back and forth over a bony outcrop on your femur, which helps stabilize it.

Band Aid
    If you have poor running mechanics or muscle imbalance, put on weight, or started running hills, then your ITB can track out of line, slipping out of the groove created by the bony outcrop.

Swelling
    As it tracks out of its natural alignment, it rubs against other structures inyour leg, creating friction on the band. This results in inflamation (but no swelling) and a click when you bend your knee.

Hold up
    The scarring thickens and tightens the ITB, and limits the blood flow to it. If you continue to run, you'll feel a stinging sensation. This can make you limp after a run.

Cause and Effect
    Why it happens and how to spot it.

What causes it?
    According to research in the Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine, these are the roots of the problems:
    >>Inadequate warmup before running.
    >>Increasing distance, running too quickly, or excessive downhill running.
    >>High or low arches in your feet that cause your feet to overpronate.
    >>Uneven leg length.
    >>Bowed Legs.
    >>Excessive wear on the outside heel edge of a running shoe.
    >>Weak hip abductors.
    >>Running on a banked surface, such as the shoulder of the road or track.

Spot it!
    According to Australian performance coach Carlyle Jekins, you're a likely ITB sufferer if you experience one of the following signs:
    >>A sharp or burning pain on the outside of the knee. The symptoms may subside shortly after a run is over, but will return with the next run.
    >>You feel tenderness on the outside of your knee if you apply pressure, especially when bending.
    >>You may have problems standing on one leg on the affected side, usually due to a weak gluteus medius.

How to rehabilitate it:
    Decrease your training load by 50% and apply the principles of R.I.C.E. (rest, ice, compression and elevation), then use some of these:

Donkey Kicks
    1. Get on all fours, resting your body weight on your knees and flattening your forearms on the floor into a position similar to that of The Sphinx.
    2. Keep your right knee bent as you slowly lift your right leg up behind you to your foot rises toward the ceiling.
    3. Hold that position for one second, then slowly return to the start. Perform four sets of 12 reps on each leg.
    >>This move strengthens your gluteus maximus and medius, which are vital at keeping your ITB strong.

Laying ITB stretch:
    1. Sit on the edge of a bench or firm bed. Lay your torso back and pull the unaffected leg to your chest to flatten your lower back.
    2. With your affected leg flat to the bench, maintain a 90-degree bend in that knee. Shift that knee as far inward to the side (towards the other foot) as possible.
    3. Hold that position for 30 seconds and repeat four time on each leg.
    >>The ITB is difficult to elongate, as it doesn't have nerves that allow you to feel if you're actually stretching it. You might not feel this move in the band but it does isolate it.

Side Laying Clamchell
    1. Lie on your side, bending knees and hips to 90 degrees. Wrap a resistance band around your thighs.
    2. Lift your top knee up towards the ceiling, making sure that the insides of both feet stay together.
    3. Perform 10 to 15 reps, or until you get a burn in the outside of your hip.
    >>This move works your gluteus medius (on the outer surface of the pelvis). This muscle prevents your thigh from buckling inward when you run, which is the root of ITB aches.

How long is recovery?
    >>Mild: 2-4 weeks
    >>Average: 7-8 weeks
    >>Severe: 9-24 weeks

Sourse: Willey, David. Runner's World Complete Guide to Running. Emmaus, PA, 2013. Print.

I think this is exactly what I have been suffering with since April. I wish I saw this sooner. :-(

Thanks!!!
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    bump
  • Thanks for all the great information. I have started the Zombie version of the c25k. It has been over 5 years since I have run for health and weight loss. I went to fast too soon last time and ended up with a torn meniscus and stress fracture. Fortunately the doctor did a great job repairing the tear and thankfully I stopped before it did too much damage...should not have any arthritis I did not have a training program the last time so I thought that the app would help me pace myself. I over did it Sat. so I took Sun. completely off and cut my run back to 2.5 miles today and did more walking than I would have liked. Slow and steady wins the race, right? I also do indoor rowing in between on the days I am not running. It gives me a similar joy as running but doesn't stress the same joints.The information on stress fractures was very helpful. I know that getting some weight off will also help but that is slow going too :smile:
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Ever since I twisted my foot a couple weeks ago, I've had sharp pain in the meta-tarsal area whenever I put pressure on the ball of my foot. It comes and goes, sometimes it's extremely sharp, sometimes it's only a little ache, sometimes I can walk perfectly normal without pain, and then without warning I'll have that same pain again. It is very severe at times, since I'm basically walking all day for my job. I can put weight on my heel with no problem at all, but the ball of my foot causes a lot of pain. Any suggestions as to what is causing the pain, and how to treat it? They took xrays when I twisted my foot three weeks ago and said nothing was broken.