May check in and chat - May all your weights go up

Options
tameko2
tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
New thread!

Goals thread to come. Or someone else make it and I'll sticky it.

Replies

• kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    AH- ha! First in after Tameko!!

So, Vegasbaby is my new guru. She (somewhat facetiously) suggested ice cream as a night-before-lifting carb - and you know what - she was totally right! I felt so great today!

Squats 120
    Bench 90
    Pendlay Row 100

BOOM! Ice cream magic!!!!

And hubby did his first full A workout today - I'm really proud of him - he is listening to his body, really focusing on form, and he was super supportive with me while I was pushing out those benches. :smile: I was a little worried about lifting with him, but thanks to 18 years of working together, we just slid in to an easy working style where he let me focus when I needed to and listened to advice when he needed it. I heart him.

What a great way to start May!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Checking in....non-SL day with the trainer. I feel a bit out of shape when it comes to endurance! But I am happy with my strength at this point!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I have a basic question that has probably been asked before, but there's not a way to search in the groups, is there?

I lost my lifting partner so now I have no one to spot me on bench. What do you all do without a spotter? I have a really hard time as it is increasing on bench, and without a spotter I don't know how I'm going to progress!
  • tameko2
    Options
    I have a basic question that has probably been asked before, but there's not a way to search in the groups, is there?

I lost my lifting partner so now I have no one to spot me on bench. What do you all do without a spotter? I have a really hard time as it is increasing on bench, and without a spotter I don't know how I'm going to progress!

You can either a) set up to use the power rack to catch you -- might not work if the power rack doesn't have holes drilled at the right height for you. b) do the roll of shame - its not as scary as it seems to fail, go to youtube and watch some roll of shame videos. IT does help if you end your bench directly below your boobs instead of on top of them c) not go for a rep if you think its going to fail or d) ask someone in the gym to spot you just on the set you think you will fail - no one minds.

I think most people go for option b or d as its the one anyone can do. If you're scared of it, deliberately let the bar rest on your chest for a few seconds during an early easy rep or a warmup. You'll see its no big deal -- the scary stories you hear about people hurting themselves on a failure are people who totally lose control of a very heavy bar - usually either pushing for a 1 rep max at a super high weight (in which case they had no business doing it without a spotter - watch a power lifting competition and you will see there are always tons of people ready to grab the weight) or doing a weight that was way too heavy for them and losing control of it.

IT won't happen to you - you'll be fine.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Yay new thread! I was trying to come up with a witty May title; something about May flowers being made of iron, but it sounded stupid. :tongue:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Tagging!!!! Happy Mayday (or whatever this is) !!

Also:
    New thread!

Goals thread to come. Or someone else make it and I'll sticky it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/976797-may-goals
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    lol @ thread title!

so.. B tonight, 42.5kg squats, OK but will redo next time to keep that form sharp. the pushing the floor away thing really helped.
    OHPs should have been 30kg. managed 1x5 and 1x3 then reduced and used fractionals.. still not great, plenty of time.

then I deadlifted 80kg! nearly body weight! rawr :)
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    In!

And I worked out.

122.5 Squats Tough but do-able
    69.0 Bench widened my grip and it made it much easier. Also put plates under my feet, not too sure about that but will try for a while.
    84.0 Pendlays

And assisted chinups with ~25lb.s of my bodyweight for 10X3.

Felt great. Took a full hour. Had my shake while I was doing interval cycling for 30 minutes.

Felt great when it was all said and done!
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Kira and Vegas, love the ice cream excuse...I mean..idea! I actually had chocolate ricotta mousse last night and I really enjoyed the workout today!

lwoodroff, Congratulations on the 80kg DL!! Almost body weight!!! So very cool!

Ges, 122.5 squats!!! Awesome!

Squat: 45lb
    OHP: 50lb
    DL: 105

Everything was very sore when I started but eventually it felt better. I'm very happy to be lifting again!! I hope I can go for long enough without getting sick or hurt that I can move past my previous PRs. I'm trying the hip thrusting movement with the OHP. I will have to watch the video again to make sure I am doing it right.

Have a great month!
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Glad you are back in the game lassie!
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I actually talked the ice cream thing over with a trainer at my gym today, and she and I decided that something with a high percentage of calories from fat is probably a really great fuel pre-workout - sugar to call on immediately, plus fat to call on as the sugar gets burned. Of course, neither of us has any dietary or nutritional training, but we do like ice cream, so our theory is most likely sound. :smile:
  • fishlover888
    fishlover888 Posts: 132
    Options
    I actually talked the ice cream thing over with a trainer at my gym today, and she and I decided that something with a high percentage of calories from fat is probably a really great fuel pre-workout - sugar to call on immediately, plus fat to call on as the sugar gets burned. Of course, neither of us has any dietary or nutritional training, but we do like ice cream, so our theory is most likely sound. :smile:
    This totally makes sense to me! :laugh:

'Rest' day for me. Double booked patients at 5:30 and triple booked at 6...all getting hands on therapy... I know I ate well above normal calories and let myself have junk food but MAN I was starving after all that!

Keeping my fingers crossed for lifting tomorrow. Tuesday went so poorly I didn't even finish the session... but tomorrow I will get it!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

So, Vegasbaby is my new guru. She (somewhat facetiously) suggested ice cream as a night-before-lifting carb - and you know what - she was totally right! I felt so great today!

Me? A guru?? Awwww shucks :blushing:

EAT THE DAMN CARBS :laugh:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Me? A guru?? Awwww shucks :blushing:

EAT THE DAMN CARBS :laugh:

I ate a whole pint of ice cream yesterday. Basically cuz it was the only thing I could eat, but hey who's complaining? :laugh:

Tomorrow's lifting session should be in beast mode. Rawr. :bigsmile:
  • tameko2
    Options
    I did have one of my best runs ever, while doin c25k, right after sharing a banana split with my husband. It's not overall a good strategy for me though because lactose intolerance + full fat dairy + exercise far from a bathroom = high risk situation
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Can I join? I'm just starting and when I went back and looked, I did only sporadic sessions a while ago and have therefore been at this only for a couple weeks. My official start was therefore April 17th.

Tomorrow will be session 5. I have finally hit weights that feel heavy (and got me sore afterwards) as I was just experimenting really for the first few sessions and building confidence and form.

Squat- 75 pounds
    OHP- 50 pounds
    Deadlift- using 125 but lifted 145x1 without too much difficulty (will see how tomorrow goes)
    Bench Press- 65 pounds
    Row- 65

43 years old, multiple surgeries over the past few years, 5'3", 144-ish, did insanity before this and I liked it ok, but still NOT a cardio fan.
  • caffeinated_frog
    caffeinated_frog Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Continuing lifting, but I suspect I may have to have a trainer evaluate my form soon. Hitting squats=100 lbs, overhead= 65, and deads=145. Overhead I don't think I can do first time out, but I have to get washers to go up slower than 5lbs at a time. Squats I need to make my rump go up first, my right knee is popping on the way up. Bench will be 80 and rows should be 90. Also starting to max out on rows, my upper body strength is nowhere near lower.

Really need those incremental weights though.

Goal for May :
    squat= 150
    overhead= 70
    Deads= 195
    bench= 90
    rows= 95

Let's see how close I can get.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    hi froggy! suggest you copy and paste those goals into the May goals sticky so you can find them later :)

some great goals!

oh and whoever has the trainer who agrees on the ice cream thing, can you send 'em my way?! can't remember the last time I had ice cream..
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Welcome 6550mom!! Everyone can join in! It looks like you are doing great!
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    each new month i tell myself i'm gonna start jumping in on this thread more but i always get so behind!!

LOVE THE TITLE!!! hahahahaha!! awesome!