Let's get started

Options

Replies

• PortiaBentley
    PortiaBentley Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hi MITM - I echo Brackens thoughts and add this. when we focus we should focus on the positive. Every day is a struggle for us with our weight and the pressures on our lives - we eat because it distracts us. Some days I can refocus to something positive and some days I can't. What I'm trying to do is make the positive refocus more frequent than the negative. As Bracken says though if you can distract yourself with a nice walk it will help to delay a search of the cupboards and fridge!

when all is said and done you are doing BRILLIANTLY! so keep it up all the Crackers are with you

Love
    PB
  • Lovemyveg
    Lovemyveg Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Bracken and PB, well said! What lovely posts from you both. I'm sure they've made MITM feel better. I too seem to be struggling at the moment and it's only the swimming which is stopping me from experiencing another accelerated weight gain. I'm not sure what the problem is because I desperately want to lose weight before I go on holiday in the new year and I know that if I don't put the effort in now it will suddenly be too late. But somehow I can't seem to focus for a sustained period. It's very frustrating and I'm not sure what to do about it. Any ideas anyone?

I managed another 1.25 miles in the pool this afternoon, but it's been a busy day. I went to the shops this morning to get the bits and pieces for tonight's cookery class which I didn't have in the pantry. Then it was my garment making class where I got all the tailor's tacks done and tacked together the bodice of my dress. From there I had time for a quick cup of tea and then it was into the pool for a swim. I got home and had a smoked salmon roll as I was famished, got everything together for our cookery class and then back into Swansea with my husband for our class. I made an Italian bean stew which I must say was delicious. After we got home it was aight into more cooking as I'm making chocolate orange cup cakes for our Welsh class tomorrow night as it's someone's birthday. We've also got the builders in so I've made some for them too. I've had a catch up on here to see what everyone is up to and then I'm going to title down and watch The Great British Bake Off before bed. It's one of my favourite programmes!

Bracken, so sorry you've been poorly. I'm so pleased to hear that you are back on the way to full fitness now. Good luck with your troublesome pupil - he sounds a challenge.

MITM - please don't be so hard on yourself. You remain a shining beacon of success in our circle. You are still so close to your target, somewhere that is still a distant dream for me. You are having a tough time - a complete change of routine now that your daughter is not with you in term time, and I'm sure having spent the last 13/14 years with her at the centre of your life, you are probably redefining your place in the world as well. It really isn't surprising that you don't quite feel yourself. I definitely think you are strong enough to find your way, but take your time and as I said, don't be so hard on yourself. Sending a very, very big hug your way. Wish I was near enough to pop over for a walk with you up your mountain, but on second thoughts I probably wouldn't be able to keep up with you even at your unfitest lol!

BM - you are the driving force at the moment. I need you to send some of your resolve my way. Really pleased to hear you have a sewing machine. I'm making a sundress (New Look 6589 view B) at the moment. Giggled at the thought of you justifying the purchase of the sewing machine by "alteration". I just know that when you've lost more weight you will go on a shopping spree!! Making clothes s fun though and I'm thrilled to be getting back into it. I used to make nearly all my clothes years ago and now I've started again I realize how much I've missed it.

Right, Bake Off calls

BFN
    xx
  • mummyinthemountains
    mummyinthemountains Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Morning Crackers!

Ladies thank you for all the lovely support and for your excellent sound advice. I agree totally with everything, everyone said!

BRACKEN - I actually had eggs on Monday as I too was thinking along the same lines as you. And then I received an email that morning from 'the flat tummy club' which I subscribe to (which a blogger from TD once recommended) and it was all about 'how to eat less sugar in the real world.' Well having just over-dosed at the weekend, I know this was why I felt so dreadful and even more sorry for myself so I'm sticking to natural sugars at the moment. I have an abundance of raspberries and black tayberries in my garden which I'm topping with a little natural yogurt. Seems to be doing the trick.

BM - did you get a yogurt machine in the end? I'm very impressed with your dedication to the exercise and calories at the moment it's fantastic! And yes like LMV I too had a giggle over the sewing machine!! Still it keeps the fingers busy!

With all the Crackers exercising madly, I felt inspired to join in and yesterday was a beautiful, sunny autumn day so I headed for the garden and mowed the lawns and swept up the leaves that are now starting to fall.

PB - Tuesday I did a spot of nordic walking, I took myself up the slope alone in a bid to build up the stamina again - it wasn't as bad as last time! Everytime I read about the practice where you work, I'm left thinking they don't know how lucky they are to have such a sensible person at the helm! I'm glad you're determined not to let 'work' ruin your healthy lifestyle!

LMV - I feel for you! I'm in a similar boat as I too have struggled to complete a full week on track for weeks now! For me I always have my inner alarm bell to keep me hovering near the right path. Focus on that wonderful holiday, fast forward... there's Christmas ahead and only a saint wouldn't gain weight over the festive period, so that's a few extra pounds before you've even stepped foot off the plane. I'm guessing you want to knock your friends dead or at least prove you've kept the pounds off since they last saw you?! And you want to enjoy your holiday and all the treats that come your way guilt free, without worrying that you might burst out of your clothes before you get back on the plane home! I think you should be aiming to return home with your clothes feeling slightly snug so you have to start planning ahead to allow for the Christmas and holiday pounds. Take it one day at a time. Go back to basics again. What are you doing differently to when you first started with TD? Have you become complacent and stopped counting calories or recording? I'm on day 4! They all add up so quickly you just have to look at BM!!! And the dreaded Shred countdown has commenced! 4th November just around the corner!

Right well I'm going to do a quick 15 minutes with the lovely Rosemary. Keep up the good work Crackers!
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    Hello Crackers,

Thanks for the advice MITM. I've been away over the week-end so was unable to control my calories but I've come back ready to try and take control again. I've dug out all my TD eating plans from my first 12 weeks with them and I am on Week 1 Day 1 today which started off with a rather nice boiled egg. I've got a pot of soup bubbling on the stove ready for lunch and have taken a "surprise" out of the freezer for dinner tonight. I usually label things before I put them in the freezer because I know things become unrecognisable once frozen - this one slipped through without a label and I have no idea what it is! I'm hoping it's a chilli as it's very wet and very grey here today so it feels like a chilli day.

I'm supposed to be going to my garment making class today but I think I might give it a miss and get on with my knitting here instead. I need to get to the pool this afternoon and get another mile swum. I've had a week off from it so I must start moving forward across the channel again. I've been treading water for way too long.

I had a lovely walk over the week-end with our friends who live in Surrey. We walked around Virginia Water which was beautiful. I have never been there before and the new visitor centre is beautiful. It's some sort of Eco building and the undulating wooden ceiling is fantastic. My friend had put a shoulder of lamb and boulangere potatoes in the oven to slow roast while we were out so the house smelt wonderful when we got in. Dinner was ready but at least we'd earned it with a long walk.

I weighed in this morning and I STS last week. I'm going to see a loss this time next week though!

Be good Crackers
    xx
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    It's very, very quiet here. Is everyone OK? What's going on?

PB - how's the swim going? I'm off to the pool this afternoon, I've been stuck on 13 miles for 10 days now. Time to get going again.

Bracken, how's the tutoring going?

MITM - are you counting down the days until your trip to see your daughter yet

BM - has the sewing machine come out of its box yet

New8 - have you tried salsasizing with Rosemary at home? What do you think?

Missing you all
    xx
  • 77Bailey77
    77Bailey77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi LMV,
    I've been a bit under par this week, but am still logging on and keeping to my calories! It's been a strange/funny week for me. It's a year since I had to fly home for the funeral, (the first of 3 funerals), and now my second son has been diagnosed with haemophilia so my two sons now have it. My Daughter is waiting on her results too. So I think I am just a bit homesick on top of everything else! The sewing machine is now in it's lovely case I had sent over from the UK and I have just had a sewing book for beginners delivered today, so I am going to enjoy reading that before I do too much damage to my clothes! lol x
    Hope you enjoy your swimming,
    BM x x
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Evening/morning Crackers!

I've been wanting to write this all day long but here I am finally, at gone midnight...

Here in my part of the world for the past week you can't see the mountains for cloud - first thing in the morning I can't even see the lambs in the field outside my bedroom window for thick, low, cloud and it is miserable as it has rained or drizzled non stop, so BRACKEN as you will understand my hair shrunk overnight to nothing and has not yet recovered. The daughter did a double take when we skyped!

However your post this morning LMV made me chortle and I was going to second the enquiry to BM as to how was the sewing machine, but I've just read your last post BM. I'm sorry to hear the news about your son, does that make you also a carrier? I can understand that you are feeling homesick so the fact you are still battling on with both the diet and exercise and not succumbing to comfort food/wine is gold star material! Get reading that new book as you are going to need to be able to alter that vast wardrobe of clothes.

Well I managed to do my back in over the weekend, I'm guessing from having to sit in the same position from Friday evening until Sunday evening making schlipkrapfen. I'm still in pain but can at least move but sadly I have to do it all over again starting tomorrow night or else not see my daughter! I shall be taking regular breaks to stretch and wriggle - Rosemary has worked wonders on helping to loosen me up again.

So what with the rain and the pain not a lot of exercise from me this week. I also made a traybake recommended from Lavender and Lovage seduced by the photo and because of the apples and berries galore in my garden... It was not worth the calories and I should have known better as it was entered by someone called 'Mummy Mishaps'! Very disappointing, not that that, stopped me from scoffing it continuously over the weekend with lashings of ice-cream. The scales were most unkind on Monday morning!

However being 'laid up' and unable to exercise made me realise to eat as I do, I must 'move' more. If I do nothing I struggle to walk more than 5000 steps a day. But I did read a few blogs and I was inspired by, in the top blogs this week; 'what's better than losing 134 pounds?' which made me see my own situation in a completely different light - a glowing one!! Because if I am good Monday - Thursday I will hopefully be 9.9 again Friday, a mere 2lbs from my target weight and still winning. And annoying as it is if I'm not under target before going to see my daughter - I shall be walking lots and maybe the most damage I can do is 5lbs, so still within my personal allowance. And then it's SHRED time!!!

I read another blog and I quote 'there's a difference between interest and commitment. When you're interested in doing something, you do it only when it's convenient. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses; only results. Yes we want to lose weight but that's not all. We also want to lose inches, losing weight is just a number on the scale, losing inches is a whole lot more. Following the 30 day shred, on round 3, honestly that's where most of my inches fell off.'

So I'm feeling motivated! No traybake this weekend, I'll make my husband some biscuits which I can take or leave and I shall attempt to leave well alone!

Be good Crackers!
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    Morning Crackers,

It's cold here this morning, but there is some blue sky and sunshine. I met one of my friends to go for a quick yomp by the marsh. It's really woken me up. I do like exercising first thing but lately I've got out of the habit. We're going to make it a regular thing on a Friday morning. It's a chance for a chat and to burn some calories.

I managed to get 1.5 miles swum yesterday and I'm off to the pool again in a minute to get some more lengths swum. Everyone has been so generous and I'm just £20 short of raising £500 now so I'm sure I'll reach that target by the end. It makes it worthwhile pounding up and down the pool so thanks again everyone for the sponsorship.

BM - really sorry to hear about your children. I don't know much about the condition. Is it controllable these days or will the diagnosis have a big impact on their daily lives? I can see it's a sad time for you with various anniversaries coming up. I agree with MITM, seeing you so inspired and committed despite everything is very motivating. Re the sewing, the best thing to do is get some remnants of material and just start practicing stitching. You get the hang of it really quickly. I haven't made much progress with my dress this week as there seem to have been too many other things to do. I might get some done over the week-end. I'm going to Cowbridge tomorrow with a friend. She's having an extension done and is wants to look at wood burners. We got ours at a place called Top Stak just outside Cowbridge. Have you been there? They do beautiful wooden kitchens and furniture as well. We'll have a mooch around Cowbridge itself as well and get a bite of lunch there too.

MITM - so sorry to hear about your back. Mine is now OK but you have my complete sympathies. I read the same blog as you and have been mulling over the fact that for the whole of this year I have been interested in losing weight rather than committed to it. I know that at the moment my commitment levels still aren't what they should be. It really s a mental battle for me. When I'm in the right frame of mind I find it easy to stick to the plan, but when I'm not (and I haven't been for a while) it's so difficult. I'm not quite back in the zone yet, but I'm getting there.

Right off to the pool. Good luck with your weigh in tomorrow BM

Bfn
    xx
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    Oops! was going to write a post but the sirens have gone off for a bad storm. Just going to "batten down the hatches!" x x
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    Evening Crackers,

Assume you survived the storm unscathed BM?

MITM, how are the back and the fingers?

I've had a busy day. I went swimming first thing and got another 1.25 miles done. I'm now 75% of the way across the channel so definitely nearer Calais than Dover now. Carole, how are you doing? We haven't heard from you for a while. I hope work hasn't all become too much, it sounded as if you were under a bit of pressure there. After swimming it was sewing class and my sundress is coming on. I attached the bodice to the skirt and then had a fitting before putting the zip in. The teacher wanted me to enlarge the bodice before putting the zip in as it doesn't meet at the top by about 2 inches. I however confidently told her I was making it smaller as I will have shifted over 1 stone by the time I go to Australia. She told me she never advises making something smaller as it can always be taken in. Yikes, the pressure is on because I refused her advice! Now I really, really have to do it! I find it quite motivating that I have to prove myself to an independent third party now.

After sewing I had a quick dash to the shops to get some ingredients for tonight's evening class. I made a bacon and chicken stew which didn't sound that appealing but was absolutely delicious. It had carrots, mushrooms, spring onions and green beans in so it was packed with veg and was much tastier than it sounds. The husband made a spicy Mexican bean stew which is extremely fiery. When I commented that it was "hot" after tasting it, he confessed that he had been measuring the chilli powder out over the pan and that a big lump had come out all at once so it was a little more fiery than it should have been. I'll have to get some 0% yogurt to cool it down with before attempting to eat it.

I should really be doing my Welsh homework now for tomorrow morning but I'm going to watch The Great British Bake Off instead to see who's made it to the final. As the England match was on I've had to record it, but match over and England qualified for the World Cup so the husband is very happy. Right, Bake Off time.

Hope everyone is doing well and we hear from everyone again soon.

Bfn
    xxxxx
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    Hello Crackers,

Here I am again, Billy No Mates! Where is everyone?

Went to Pilates this morning and she took us through a rigorous workout including a full minute of the plank AFTER we'd done a load of other stomach exercises. My new method of coping with it is to sing a song in my head, the minute seems to pass quicker that way. I've also been to the pool this afternoon and got another 1.5 miles swum. I'm now 82% of the way across the channel and have 3.9 miles left to swim so the end is in sight. I'm feeling a bit weary now but my Welsh class has been changed from last night to tonight so I mustn't relax too much as I have to go out again.

Eating wise I have been pretty good so I was a little disappointed with just a 1lb loss this week. However, it's a move in the right direction which is the most important thing. I'm sticking to my eating plan and my only deviation was a cup of low cal ovaltine last night. I was so cold I needed a hot, filling drink to warm me up.

On Saturday we're off out to friends for dinner and they have given it a desert island discs theme so we all have to think of three favourite songs and during the course of the evening we'll share why we've picked them. I thought it would make a good QOTW on here........... so, if you were stranded on a desert island with your 8 selected records and you could only save one of them, which would it be?

I'm finding it quite hard to choose as there are so many songs which mean so much to me, but I think it would be Dancing Queen by Abba. I love that song, it always puts a smile on my face, always gets me dancing and singing along wherever I am and it brings back lots of memories over the years of occasions where I've been out with friends as a teenager, student, working girl and now country bumpkin - so many parties, weddings and other get-togethers. I just love to dance so this has to be the song I would keep so I could dance all over my desert island. Very close runner-up is Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton which is 'Our Song'

Hope you are all being good Crackers

bfn
    xx
  • brackenmh
    brackenmh Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Greetings all and so sorry to have been absent recently. I did pop in once but could only get the catch-up reading done. Life has been extremely hectic at the moment and will be so until after my nephew's wedding on Oct.26- more or less! A dear family friend from England has come over for the wedding and will have been here for three weeks until Oct.30. Since most family members are at work during the week, I have been responsible for entertaining her- she is an extremely easy to please guest but it is just the time that has left me with little for myself and particularly here. We are having a good fall with lots of sunshine and warm temperatures, still no real frosts. The trees are glorious in their leaves of red, yellow, oranges, and gold. I'm still tutoring R.S. , a very sweet person but needing a lot of support in his work- it is really quite exhausting. There is also time to be spent outside of our tutoring sessions as I must bone up on Othello and The Great Gatsby in preparation for him. My niece has also been seeing me for some help in polishing some resumes she is sending out and yesterday another niece mentioned she will be starting The Merchant of Venice and "probably need some help." I actually enjoy doing this but it does take time especially at the moment. Yesterday, I checked out the kennel where Nellie will stay for three days. It is a excellent facility. There are a large number of dogs that go there every day for daycare. The dogs have their own pen with a raised bed, a small patio and then there are a number of good sized playing yards where the dogs are let out to play together- they are grouped by size and age and activity level.Today I will go into a school for a half day of substitute teaching- again a situation where I felt I couldn't really refuse as the teacher who knows me specifically requested me.
    I can see by the clock that I am not going to nearly be able to say all would like to at the moment but first let me say that as always it is regenerating to be here and see how all are doing. LMV, despite everything you seem to be making progress and are gaining commitment. The swimming is very impressive. I so enjoyed your post, especially your description of your husband's soup mishap. MITM, sorry your back has given you grief but you are still holding your own. Thanks for your comments on the blogs as the commitment/interest idea- definitely food for thought there. B77, sorry to hear about your sons' diagnoses. You too are inspiring me will the strength of character you are showing in following your goals despite everything.
    One thing that has taken an inordinate amount of my time has been the whole dress issue as regards this upcoming wedding. You may recall that I bought a dress I really liked but which was somewhat tight. I had hopes that I would be able to fit into it by the wedding but have had to abandon that plan. (However, I will say that I have decided I will not return the dress and I still believe that wearing it is a doable goal- so LMV, I absolutely understand your not wanting to make your dress larger. I'm glad you stuck to your way of doing it.). I showed the dress to one sister who is very polite but definitely conveyed that no the dress was not doable at the moment. This led to a round of panic shopping, returns and yes despair!! However, I will have to detail this later, with any luck this p.m., as now I must off to the institute of higher learning!
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Evening (just!) Crackers,

Well I'm getting up again in 5 hours time as I'm off to England for 2 weeks, but I just had to say 'goodbye' first before leaving!!

My apologies for my absence but I too have had a hectic few weeks trying to get everything done before I leave, because it's All Saints on the 1st November, I had 2 graves to 'decorate' and a house to clean as my husband is expecting all his Aunts and Uncles (about 12) to come... Then there are his immediate family who are actually staying so bedrooms to prepare and 'winter' bedding to get out... and a fruit cake to make that will keep... oh and then there's the garden; tomatoes to be picked and stored, potatoes dug out, onions to be dried, all the balcony flowers to be cut back ready for next year and leaves, leaves, leaves to be swept up because it could snow before I get back!. And finally the small matter of 3000 schlipkrapfen to be made, counted and bagged ready to go on Sunday.

My back thankfully is now fine and fingers crossed I should be up for the Shred on my return so make a date LMV/BRACKEN 4th November!! Let's start using the 'Exercise' blog for our moans, groans and triumphs! PB - have you sunk whilst swimming it's been a long time since you reported in? Tell us you're ok. BRACKEN - always lovely to hear from you, my daughter is currently studying Mice and Men and I'd love it, if you were just around the corner to help her! BM - hope you fully recover soon. LMV - yet more chortling from me as I read about the dress!!! I have been popping in daily, always intending to return and comment but have never found the time but I did think about your QOTW. My song would be from Groove Amarda and the track 'at the river' I love that song. It takes me back to the summer when I first started driving out here (took me years!) and I would bundle my daughter who was then aged 3 into the car daily and head off for the day to a lake up a mountain playing this song the whole journey!! I can just picture my daughter in her swimming costume and arm bands wading along the shore. Lovely, lovely time!

Well ladies I must get to my bed! Be good Crackers and I look forward to catching up on my return with hopefully more time on my hands!
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    Hello Crackers - no I haven't crashed into a tanker, been bitten by a jelly fish (stung) or drowned in a pile of sewage - I'm still here. Hope you are all OK. Its been a hectic few weeks at work and play and my eating habits have been rubbish leading to a 2 week weight gain for the first time since I started this journey. this morning I have pulled myself together and had a good breakfast and prepared a wholesome lunch. Tonight may be tricky but I'll have to see. I've done 12.9 miles of my swim but last week only managed a half mile as I was out every night either for work or play but late home. Managed my swim on Tuesday morning and will be doing the same tomorrow morning. Over the weekend I did a music workshop of Rutter's Requiem which was wonderful - but there was a MOUNTAIN of cake at tea time and I really couldn't resist. Still I console myself that the singing was very energetic and so I did something exercise wise. the weather was pretty horrible though. Saturday was spent scoring at an Eventer Trial - which I was sat right next to the burger van - which was also where my lunch was provided (oh DEAR). My friend Eli came over from France for a few days and left a huge amount of delicious French cheese in the fridge - I invited Susie round to share it but we opened a bottle of wine - That's just the last few days!

In the meantime, everyone else is living their life and having real problems. So I need to get focused again. Fraid I'm not going to manage the 20lb challenge. This week will be less manic but I do have guests for the weekend and a party to go to - I've decided however to be the designated driver so will not be drinking and will be dancing.

well need to go now as I need to get to work - but I'm sorry I've not been around - I've missed you all!

Love
    PB
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    Hi Fellow crackers. I have just had my Annual review with my Gynae "physician". Considering I was a Family planning and women's health nurse during my time spent nursing you would think it would be a doddle for me but no.....I was the one wimpering in the corner and almost jumping off the couch each time poor Dr Lai came near me!! So I have had my bloods taken, a pap smear, breast check,, gynae ultrasound and med review. I now have my very first mammogram to look forward to on Tuesday! The bill for today?$1600. I swear I will never complain about the UK NHS again!! I appreciate there is good and bad to both NHS and private medical care, but I have paid the equivalent 150 pound for 1 blood test. (I had 4 in total!). Obviously our insurance covers some but certainly not all of it. I think it brings it home to you that you are not actually "home" when you need these tests and just how much we take our NHS for granted. It has many, many flaws but having been on the receiving end of emergency surgery in the UK I still think it could be the best in the world.
    Anyhow, glad it's mostly over and just wait for the results now. I think my poor OH dreads all this as much as I do. I came out of the building, sat on a bench and blubbed! I know it all sounds pathetic but stupid days like today make me more homesick than ever. Apologies to you all for having to read my tales of woe, but I am so glad you are all here to tell this to. When my daughter asks later how it all went and I say "Fine, no worries!" I will be able to do that because I shared it with all of you first. So thank you crackers for being there, love BM x x
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    Morning Crackers,

Big hug BM. That all sounds really traumatic, but at least it is over now. I'm sure we all hate these examinations and the thought of having to pay so much money for the indignity just adds salt to the wound! I quite understand why you had a good cry afterwards. Fingers crossed that the results are all fine. Re the mammogram, they don't take long, and try to relax. Sing your favourite song in your head (when you've decided what it is) I and it'll be over by the time you finish.

PB absolutely lovely to hear from you and all about your gallivanting. You've done really, really well this year and a little gain doesn't undo all that good work. Just look at where you are now compared to the start of the year. Fantastic effort. Well done for getting back on track and preparing some healthy meals.

Bracken,great to hear from you too. You've been really busy! I hope you enjoy the wedding and I'm glad you have kept the dress even though you are not wearing it on this occasion. We will both have our dresses as an incentive - do you think you might wear it for Christmas?

MITM - have a great time with the daughter in the UK. I will be ready to start the Shred on 4 November and think I will set up a Shredders thread especially for it!

Well I'm pleased to say I lost 3 lbs this week which I am obviously very pleased with. I just need to sustain it now and there's a chance I'll succeed in the challenge and get in my dress.

Bfn
    xx
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    Hi All

we're battening down the hatches here in sunny Suffolk (well actually its moonlit at the moment!). Not looking forward to Monday morning. Another mile and a half last night. Now just under 16 miles completed. The end is in sight.

Hope all is well with everyone else - its very quiet on here - maybe the turn of the season will bring us all out? Have guests arriving later so when I've finished my coffee its time to start getting organised. Made the cottage pie when I got back from swimming last night but need to make a cake, clean house, hoover, dust and clean kitchen and wash the floor this morning. YEUK - I hate housework.

Has been fairly horrible at work this week. The Govmint is making an awful mess of the NHS - presumably to soften us up for privatisation - but I find myself increasingly distressed and frustrated by the way in which every aspect of our work is being ridden roughshod over without any concern for the impact on patients. Most of our hospitals are already in trouble financially too and many many GPs are now saying they will retire sooner rather than later leaving us with no GPs to cover the idiotic 12/7 plan. In a rural area we'll have to drag people off the streets - the cost of running surgeries on this scale is just astronomical and its really only for the 1% who are too scared to tell their employers that they need to go to the GP (or worse still) are so arrogant that they think they are the most important people in the world and it should be like Tesco - 24/7 access just so they can fit into their busy day. Grrrrrrrr! The majority of our patients are older patients with multiple conditions who want to be able to come tot he surgery at a normal time and see their usual GP. How this lot think we are going to go back to the good old fifties when your GP came to see you at home at all hours of the day or night on top of this I don't know. We've got another one at the moment where we are being asked to provide care homes with a 'ward round'. Looks fine - great idea (and actually in some ways it is) but the 'plan' is that surgeries will 'take over' specific homes. Where is the patient choice in that??????? Now that they've scrapped the PCT too the amount of paperwork has at least tripled and perhaps more as we now have to deal with THREE organisations all of whom are trying to figure out their role and are sending out multiple emails. Most of what comes out has to be corrected as its wrong (including stuff on dosages for some types of vaccine - thank god they are dealing with GPs who noticed that the dosages were wrong). Everything comes out at the last minute (the contract about care homes was supposed to start in October. I received the contract last week - can't start it for another week possibly two as need to reorganise surgeries for several GPs to do it).

Oh dear that's a massive rant - sorry Crackers. Very Frustrated!!!

PB
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    Hi fellow crackers, hope everybody is Ok. We all seem to be going through a "lull" don't we? It is a lovely busy time of year though, Halloween, bonfire, Christmas. I have had my mammogram and ultra sound today, my first. Oh dear lord!! nothing prepared me for the discomfort and yes, pain!! I have large boobs so I think the Asian lady who performed the mammogram was not used to either my height or size of my chest!! Everything had to be altered on the machine and bless her, she fussed and fussed but it STILL HURT!! Now comes the waiting for results which is just as dreadful. I have been having a few problems so have fingers firmly crossed it's nothing too bad. If there is such a thing as reincarnation I hope I come back as a man!! lol x
    Am also sure I have put even more weight back on, even though I am careful with what I am eating. Refuse point blank to give up th, we can do it!
    Hope everyone has a fab week, Love BM x x
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Hello all. Back finally. Have read through posts and good to see news of all. LMV, congrats on making real headway with your weight loss. P.B. your exercising has to be doing some good. It sounds as if you are having good times with the Eventing judging. I have jump judged a couple of times. It is supposed to be quite easy to monitor one jump but on the one occasion, at a very straightforward jump one rider caught up with another at the jump causing the first to refuse and fall - I forget all the details but I had to make a written statement to the Stewart and it became quite a brouhaha. B.M. good to see you checking and logging so much exercise with great regularity. If you can read here while away, I hope your trip goes well, MITM- you deserve a break after that marathon of gardening, cooking etc. recently reported. I'm glad to see contact from Saffy and New82 too.
    The wedding went off beautifully despite the fact the day of , it rained hard for the entire day and evening. It was quite a large affair with about 200 guests at the church and reception. The bride comes from an Italian family and there was a large extended family on her side. I come from a family of nine so our immediate family of aunts and cousins was extensive too. The meal was very influenced by the Italian side and started with a lovely antipasto (I thought of you, LMV, with the excellent provolone) and included two separate meat courses along with a pasta course, salad course, and a dessert crepe with ice-cream and a mixed fruit sauce. Speeches and toasts were made between the courses which, perhaps regrettably, only made it easier to indulge in the generous servings along the way! On each plate, rather than having so-called party favours the couple had a lovely welcoming card at the end of which in small print they noted that they had made a donation to the mental health association. (it was not mentioned specifically but this honoured my mother who suffered from depression). I'm not sure if it is the custom in Britain, so excuse me if I explain, but here at weddings quests will clink their glasses during the meal (sometimes to the point of annoyance I'll add) as a cue for the couple to stand and exchange a kiss. For this custom, the bride announced that what they would like to do was have people, rather than clink glasses, make a donation to a jar at the table to engender the kiss- the money collected is to be sent to the cancer society as my mom died of ovarian cancer. I thought that was a really lovely gesture on their part, especially as the day of their wedding fell on the day mom passed away last year. (Being young they had not thought of the exact date when they were booking their reception hall.) Our family had agreed that we did not want to have a formal acknowledgement of the occasion at the wedding but this was very nice because on my side of the family, there was of course an undercurrent of sadness to the day. So it was a wedding filled with joy, laughter, and much dancing. Also, in tune with this young generation media technology was a big thing. There was a video slide show of the bride and groom from their babyhood on up- this was shown between one of the courses of the meal. Of course, there was not just a photographer but also a videographer throughout the day- culminating with the whole day being able to be viewed later in the evening. I found it a bit overwhelming but it is a different generation I suppose. Well must leave off for now but hope to return later today; however, the arrival of the reluctant scholar for tutoring may change that.
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Hello again. LMV, just saw your marathon swim for today-wow!
    I haven't mentioned yet that for the last three weeks, leading up to the wedding, a very dear friend from England has been visiting my family. Since I am the only real retired one, it has fallen to me to entertain her most often during the week. She is a very easy going person and easily pleased but all the running about has played havoc with my diet/exercise routine and I was shocked (though perhaps I shouldn't have been ) to see I have put on a lot of weight in the past three weeks. Of course, this period also included our Thanksgiving holiday weekend. She and I ate out a lot when out and about - I don't seem to be very good at dieting during such times. However, it is not just the times we ate out, I find that the break in routine and planned meals means that the next day or meal, even if I am home alone I eat more- I really think it has something to do with my blood sugar getting out of whack and also simply having too much sugar in my diet because there were a lot of times when I ate desserts and snacks I should not have. Today and yesterday I have been back to routine but it has not been easy; however, I am feeling that I am getting the sugar out of my system so hope to improve as the week goes on. I have also walked Nellie a mile and a half each day and did manage a short ride today. But it is so easy to feel one has lost some of that hard won fitness quickly. I am still planning on doing the Shred starting Nov.4, LMV and MITM but I am reminding myself that I must keep aware that some segments may have to be skipped, at least for a while, as the last time I was working on it, I really did mischief to my one hip- the sad part is that I really liked the very exercises that were hurting me!
    I will say a few words about the saga of my dress. I mentioned before that I became aware that the original dress for the wedding was not going to fit. I then gave up on a dress and bought a two piece outfit I thought would work. I showed it to my sister who said it was O.K. but she couldn't believe me when I said I had looked at all the nearby stores and there was no dress that would work for me and that in fact, there were very few dresses over size 14. She and our English friend who both love shopping declared that they could certainly find me a nice dress- in the next city of Kitchener/Waterloo, an hour and a half away. We went to a very large mall and there were a few more choices and they had me try on a lot of dresses, most of which I knew would not look good. Large prints look dreadful on me and there are many such ones this year. We did eventually find a dress that both fit and looked fine; it is very much like the lamented original dress in style but of course, a size larger. It is classic black jersey, mock wrap with a flattering bustline, no real waist; instead there is ruching over the bust continues on the diagonal along one side of tthe skirt so that while the silhouette is quite straight, it also rather forgiving of lumps and bumps! Of course, it was not on sale as were many others in the store and was almost twice the cost of the original. Sister and friend also determined that I would require a serious Spanx- type undergarment. They proved to be correct about that too. I don't often wear a dress so the dress was much commented on and well received. (Ironically it happened that before the wedding I needed a good outfit as the mother of an old riding friend passed away and I was invited to a memorial service at the Hunt Club which is very posh). I know that it is not right to tie one's self-worth strongly to how one looks or to focus so much on size but I was quite disappointed in myself for not reaching my goal of wearing that other dress which really took away from the black one. It was made more upsetting because my sister and our friend (whom I really think don't understand how I was affected) persisted in telling me how much wear I would get from the dress because they wanted to make me feel better for spending more than I had wanted to. What really bothered me of course was the idea of being always typed as the large one in the family and the sense that that dress is who I am and should be. I know I am making a lot of this and if it is too much, I apologize. I will say that I was able to put aside my feelings and did not inflict my misery on others during this time although I think at least some of the time my eating was in the nature of emotional eating. Well, this certainly is enough on this topic-perhaps I should have put it in a blog but I don't really want to do the blog thing at the moment. On a different note for a moment, I have seen news of the dreadful storms in England and hope none of you is affected. Weather seems to be so wild and strange often now. Here it has turned quite cold, only 6C today. I still have lots to do in the garden before the real winter comes. I always like to plant a few new spring bulbs and have not do so yet so must look to that .
    Regards.