Let's get started

Options

Replies

• PortiaBentley
    PortiaBentley Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Oh B M I do feel for you having had milder problems than you describe myself in the past. Oh I was so glad when I got past the menopause!!!! What a relief it was for me not to be afraid to go anywhere in case I leaked. Being hot and having a period was an even worse nightmare. I hope it does improve for you. I always found it was worse when I was heavier too.

I'm on my own for the first time in 8 weeks this weekend which is a little strange. Mum and Dad are returning on Sunday for another week but this by way of a test run.

I'm fascinated by LMVs 'drug fuelled rave'. I take it this is on the exercise thread (unless I've missed a post on here?). What were you up to??? I am a bit behind on the exercise thread having nothing much to report.

Well I guess I should pull myself together and shower and dress so I will come back later Crackers.
    PB. Xxx
  • 77Bailey77
    77Bailey77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    PB, I am pinning my hopes on things improving as my weight drops! I also have an IUS in situ which is supposed to stop any loss, unfortunately it isn't stopping mine but my consultant was afraid to remove it and stop the meds at one go. I suppose time will tell. I absolutely can't wait for the menopause, in the meanwhile if I could have surgery I would have it like a shot. The joys of being female!

I hope you enjoy your weekend on your own. You should definitely read LMV's writings regarding her dance beat class, it cheered me up no end! It is on the exercise thread and so worth reading.

Hope you have a great weekend. We are waiting on an Indian takeout, but I have ordered sensibly so hopefully not too many calories involved!

BM xx
  • brackenmh
    brackenmh Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    BM, so sorry to hear that you were contending with medical issues as we thought. With all that, it is good to hear that you have lost 12.7 pounds and have at least the energy to be excited by your progress. I am contending with an extremely cold day (in the minus 20's) and looking out to see ongoing snowing and a large accumulation. I was able to get some shovelling done yesterday and the driveway and path to the backyard were clear but today it is simply too cold for me. Tomorrow will only be marginally better so its a hunker down weekend. The difficult part is getting Nellie in and out. However, there is supposed to be relief on Monday/ Tuesday. Everything seems to be in extremes any more. Hard to believe a week ago I rode my bike around the neighbourhood.
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Good Evening Crackers!

I've had an idiotic 24 hours this week... 2 near sleepless nights in a row; the first one resulting in me letting a comment (which I now realise too late, my husband was simply 'remarking upon') really upset me. But because I was tired I didn't react instantly as I normally would and speak my mind, instead I said nothing and brooded alone for 24 hours and now learn, insensitive oaf was totally, blissfully unaware he had annoyed me until the following evening when he asked 'why are you so cross?' In the meantime I'd had another sleepless night and ate my way through the store cupboard! Which after a good nights sleep has resulted in me being more cross with myself than him now!

I'm confessing all this because the scales will be showing a significant gain on Monday hopefully not as large as the gain at present and I want to draw the line now and move on. It's been almost a week if I'm totally honest with myself where I've been over-eating daily but trying to kid myself I haven't really.... but if I'd written it down there would be no kidding about and then this last incident was like a green light to eat anything and everything in sight. Utter, pointless, mindless, not even enjoyable in the slightest eating. My one ounce of remaining discipline did stop me eating any chocolate because of Lent!

Moving on.... BM so lovely to have you back with us although sorry to hear of your problems but congratulations on this weeks weight loss! When you have the energy we need your opinion on cocktail dresses! Will your latest grandchild be christened whilst you are home and will you be needing a little outfit too?!

My daughter is currently studying the Tudors at college and they are examining religion at that time. She is finding it rather amusing as what they are learning about, the deep beliefs at this time is just how it still is today in our village! The priest rules and you don't get to heaven without the priests say so! When my daughter had her confirmation and the priest was instructing them, one of the sessions involved lying beneath a bench on the mountain and being covered with a rug and pretending to be dead and talking about how it felt... They still attempt to scare the children here with the devil and hell starting at 6 years old. The teacher asked the class in the UK who has a religion - grand sum of 3 students. No one else is aware of the 7 deadly sins or has experienced confession - so my daughter is in her element having had to grow up and confess to gluttony on a regular basis! Being in the UK sometimes is like a different world for my daughter.

Her passion LMV for history (which you asked me) came about when she was 13. They started learning about World War 2 in school but very patchy and obviously from the Austrian point of view which is somewhat different. She had no interest and very little understanding at what she was being taught as they kept jumping. In Austria there is no curriculum and exams at that time were set and marked by your own teacher even A-levels. So her teacher could cover whatever took her fancy. But she decided to show her class the film 'Schindler's List' but only 20 minutes at a time and she missed out bits. My daughter happened to moan at great length to me that it was a total waste of time and she couldn't follow the storyline and I got very cross having seen the film myself, so I made her watch it at home with me in English from start to finish that very weekend. Well it was a light bulb moment and it affected her very badly, she was absolutely horrified that this had really happened and it got worse as they continued watching the film in class and everyone laughed and cheered at the gassing scenes and the teacher did nothing to stop it. When she confronted her friends and said you realise this is based on true facts they couldn't have cared less -'So what?' they replied. The daughter then started watching testimonies from the Shoah Foundation and by the time the teacher showed a film on Anne Frank, my daughter had already read the diary at home and realised very quickly she knew more about Anne Frank than the teacher did, she wasn't even aware her house is open to the public as a museum. Again the class sniggered and joked and found any distressing scenes amusing, it did not matter that this had actually happened. It made her see her friends in a completely different light when she could not reason with them. She has always been very mature, serious and sensible for her age and the fact these films are meant for 15+ and the pupils were between the ages of 12 & 13 at the time, they were probably too immature to be watching but the teacher should have been more in control. However my daughter's year at her school was the first to not visit Mauthausen concentration camp in Austria on the compulsory trip to Vienna to see the famous sights as students from all over Austria were becoming so disrespectful, taking selfies and making obscene signs whilst visiting. However the whole experience has left a lasting impression on my daughter and triggered off a massive interest to study it at university level.

As for planting by the moon.... if you're seriously interested have a look at Nick Kollerstrom's book Gardening and Planting by the Moon 2016.

PB - I hope you are managing on your first weekend alone and not too exhausted from your first week at work.

Bracken - You are doing so well, keep going. Does Nellie's behaviour change when she has to stay in for any length of time? I was reading somewhere due to the ghastly weather that the UK has been experiencing for what seems like forever, dogs are getting bored and fat because their owners cannot face walking in the rain. Just think if LMV had a dog it would be very, very slim and wet!

LMV - I hope you are not snowed in, I've seen the pictures of the snow on the Brecon Beacons.

Right I have gone on and on and on - thank you Crackers for just being there!

Be good! That's great coming from me!!
  • Lovemyveg
    Lovemyveg Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hello Crackers,

So sorry you have had an upsetting couple of days MITM. We all get upset at times and it is so hard to get things in perspective when you are lacking sleep and eating definitely feels like it helps at the time but makes everything feel worse afterwards. Poor you, you needed a big cwtch. You've drawn your line and moved on now though, good for you. I'm sure you haven't been overeating as much as you think because only last Monday you had a .8lb gain which is massive body percentage wise. Here's a picture for you

image_zpslxabi4wj.jpeg

You've just been on a bit of a squiggle! No big deal really, you'll be back on track very quickly. You need Rosemary, you need Jillian and you need them NOW. And of course you have us Crackers.

Really interested to read about the teaching of history and the children's attitude to it in Austria. It sounds like the teacher lacked maturity too. It's quite frightening to think that understanding of the atrocities of WW2 is diminishing so quickly in a country like Austria which was closely associated with Hitler. Mind you, it is probably the same in UK schools and elsewhere.

I will check out the book - yes, I really am interested.

BM - lovely to see your dragonfly back. You have been having a miserable time you poor thing. The best thing about having a hysterectomy in my 40's was that all that business was finished! I seem to have breezed through the menopause without any symptoms too as I must have gone through it by now given the average age is 51 and a hysterectomy generally brings it forward a few years. No hot flushes or night sweats - I've been lucky (so far)! Look after yourself and take care.

PB - how is the week-end going on your own? I'm sure you will be absolutely fine but I expect you need to take it easy after being in work last week.

Bracken, the weather sound miserable and it must make you fed up to see the snow coming down and know you have to keep clearing it to get you and Nellie out. It probably isn't any consolation to know it is good exercise, I know I would just want to curl up and wait for it to melt, but of course you can't because of Nellie and no doubt other appointments you have to keep. On the bright side, the first day of Spring is only 5 weeks away now and in the UK the clocks will be going forward to Summertime in 6 weeks. I have started to notice the days lengthening already.

I went up to London for the day yesterday to see the Strictly Come Dancing Live Tour Show in the O2 arena. It was A-MAZ-ING as Craig would say. Fabulous dancing and Jay's (current UK champion) rumba was so moving it actually bought a tear to my eye which is saying something in an arena the size of the O2. It isn't exactly an intimate atmosphere. As we are all over the world I don't know if you all know what Strictly Come Dancing is. Elsewhere I think it is called Dancing with the Stars. It was a long day, but a lovely one and I went with a friend who I haven't seen much of recently so it was good to catch up with her. The only downside was that the tickets were booked before the Six Nations Rugby fixtures were announced so I missed the Wales Scotland match. Wales won, but only just, and there was much celebrating in Cardiff so we picked up some very drunk passengers on the way home! One supporter was convinced that my coat was his jacket and I had to be quite firm to prevent him taking it with him when he got off at Neath. The other passengers seemed to think it was all very amusing!

The weather here has been sunny today although the wind is cold so we went out for a lovely walk and blew all the cobwebs away. I'm not a great believer in Valentine's Day, but a dozen red rose were delivered when we got home so I am feeling like a very lucky girl indeed. They are a beautiful, deep, velvety red and absolutely gorgeous. I shall cook a nice meal this evening and I think it might be an excuse to crack open a bottle of something nice - blow the calories for once.

Hope everyone had had a lovely week-end

xx

ps no snow here MITM. As we are a peninsula surrounded by sea there is so much salt that snow only settles in the severest of weather. I can however see it on the tops of the Brecon Beacons in the distance
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Hello Crackers. I am still dealing with the deep freeze here but at least today is sunny and my sister called and asked me if I'd like to go with her to see another sister so I'll at least get out of the house after being housebound. She may come before this post is finished in which case it will be left off abruptly until later.
    MITM, you have so well described an episode of unplanned, impulse eating. I know myself that a lack of sleep can be a real trigger; I don't know what it is but sleep deprivation seems to create an altered state of thinking and responding. Add in getting angry and it can be very easy for an overeating episode to occur. And as you say, the resultant anger at one's self makes it all so miserable. However, you have taken excellent steps to move ahead. I see you have refined your goals on the monthly goals thread and they are very clear and realistic. You have been very honest with yourself so I'd say you are well ready to go ahead. We can all consider the value of the Success graph, LMV has posted as a reminder.
    I was fascinated to read your account of your daughter's history experience. I can assure you
    the behaviour of those 12/13 year olds is not atypical.
  • brackenmh
    Options
    (continuing the previous post) In fact, I have seen totally inappropriate responses from even older teenagers, especially of the laughing and giggling about a serious or tragic matter. I did not teach history but rather English, but I know I have been baffled, upset, and appalled too. I wish I could remember an exact example but I can't at the moment Oh here is a very small example, there was some content in which the feelings of animals was brought up. A senior boy announced that he actually kept a list of all the road kill he had done; if he were driving and for example, a racoon was crossing the road, he would deliberately hit it if he could. I remember numbers of students laughing and me being disgusted. I do think the age of the teacher may have been a factor. Of course, this does not apply to all young teachers but certainly I have seen too many who want to be friends first with their students and who will tolerate a lot of behaviour I'd find completely unacceptable. There is something to be said about age appropriateness, I think. I was required at times to teach Huckleberry Finn to 13/14 year olds. I think the novel is a huge classic of American literature but in many places it is not even taught at any level now because of the language uses about his black friend, Jim.
    I worked very hard to deal with the language issue so that students saw the context of its use and realized that what was in the novel was not acceptable language today. That said, I often felt many of the students did not appreciate the emotional power of the character, Huck, deciding that he would go against his whole upbringing which told him he should turn in a runaway slave even if it meant he would go to hell. Every time I've read that scene aloud, which I usually did I would very moved by it but I know there many students who were simply bored by it. As for the diminishing level of understanding of WW2, you would find that here too. Part of the problem here is that students only have to take one compulsory history course to graduate at any level, even in the university stream. Instead, there have a number of elective courses including computer animation and cosmetology. As for religion, that lack of knowledge is common here. I used to tell my English students that if they wanted to be well versed in English literature, they needed to have a sound knowledge of the Judeo-Christian tradition regardless of what faith or lack thereof they had. I was able for some time to teach a Bible as Literature segment to my university bound students and would always try to work it in where relevant. Your daughter sounds like one of those true learners who are a gift to a teacher.
    On a lighter note, Nellie is indeed getting somewhat frustrated by being inside so much but it is still too cold for any long stints outside. I do notice that she seems to give her poor dismembered toy animals more than an usual throttling when she is playing with them! I ran the iRobot to see how she would react and was almost disappointed to see she was not all that interested. She went up to it and sniffed a little but then walked away.
    LMV, we have Dancing With The Stars here on American channels. I don't watch it regularly but have seen it enough to be impressed at the performance of some dancers who don't have that background before they go on the show. Sounds like a fun time for someone who like Rosemary as you do. You are a lucky girl as you say, to have a husband who orders you roses even if you aren't a big believer in valentine's Day.
    PB and BM, I hope you doing well.
    Regards.
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    A quick pop in to say Hello to everyone! I am in the middle of a huge spring clean, already beginning to wonder what on earth I started it all for........

My Daughter has now almost hit the 30th week of her pregnancy and will not be allowed to drive after the 32nd week. So we decided that as she will have help off her Husband for the 2 weeks before and after the baby is born that I will be of more help to her now in picking up the older two (5and 8yrs) from school and then ferrying them around for their dance/swimming/gymnastics clubs etc. She is VERY organised and has everything ready for the baby so no shopping needs to be done, which means quiet days (hopefully) spent together.

I have booked 2 nights in the Marriot Cardiff for us as a treat. It has a pool/spa etc, I splurged and had an Executive suite which means we can use the exec lounge which has free flow drinks, light foods etc. I thought this would be useful for my daughter as she is only eating small meals regularly now. We also have a high floor suite so hopefully it will be quiet for her to rest. I was afraid to travel a great distance as she is due to have the baby in Abergavenny (it has a good haematology unit who are aware of her haemophilia and ready for the birth). She is quite calm about it all and told me she would feel quite safe even if she does go into labour with only me there as she knows I never panic and remain calm. I didn't tell her that I would break speed records to get her to the hospital as I am quite certain I would panic enough for two people if I had to deliver the baby!

I have also booked 2 nights with a friend in Cheltenham for some girly shopping and gossip a few days after the Cardiff break. I think I will need it! Ironically my friend is a midwife and is on speed dial for my daughter if anything should happen when I am not there which is a great comfort to me.

Anyhow, I forgot to say I have booked my flights back to the UK (I know this is turning into a long winded email, needless to say I am procrastinating.....the spring clean mess all around me is mocking me as I type and I know when I finish this mail I will have to return to it!). I fly back on the 28th of Feb for 3 weeks. I am looking forward to it, but a bit sad that I won't be there for the birth. (If she can hang on until she is 34 weeks+ then she is having a c section). So now my flights are booked the worrying and sleepless nights begin. I don't think I will ever not be afraid to fly.

It has been so lovely to read all the posts whilst I was a tad under the weather. It was wonderful to wake up, reach for my iPad and to just know there would be mail! I am certain all the positivity shining out from everyone is helping us all through this journey we are on. I am now saying "when I reach goal", previously I have always though "if". I know this is the Crackers influence and support.

I really do have to sort this mess out now, or maybe just a quick herbal tea first?........

Take care all, BM xxxx
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    MITM, I was just having a quick look through the posts and somehow missed your post when you had been upset. I hope you are all OK now and I know for sure you will right back on track with your weight loss. xxx

Ps, love the new picture!
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    Hello Crackers,

I hate flying too BM but it is one of those things that has to be done if we want to see people on the other side of the world. It never gets any better does it? I think the fear of it is worse than the actual doing it, once I'm up in the air I am usually OK.

If we treat ourselves to a stay over in Cardiff if we've been to a show, we quite often stay in the Marriott and we stayed in one of the executive suites last time we were there. I'm sure you will have a lovely time. The reason I like it so much has nothing to do with its proximity to John Lewis!

So BM, how about that coffee and trip to the wool shop in Abergavenny this time you are over? Happy to meet you anywhere else that suits you (maybe John Lewis!) if you can spare me half an hour. It would be lovely to meet you in person.

Bracken, Nellie is obviously an intelligent dog and saw the iRobot for what it is. At least you can set it off without worrying that Nellie will be upset by it.

Right, I need to get a few steps in.

Be good Crackers

xx
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    Hello Crackers
    Lovely to catch up on all the posts and news. I'm glad that you are feeling a bit better BM and sorry to hear about the cold and snow in Canada Bracken (My niece has just announced that she is planning a trip to Kelowna in the summer - I'm very jealous!).

I was very interested in your comments about teaching of the holocaust (and your daughters interest in history MITM - it reminded me so much of my friend Zoe who is 13 (14 in May) - she is such a history buff. She is constantly correcting her history teacher at school. Her specialist subject is the Tudors and in particular Henry VIII. She is exceedingly knowledgeable and as this is an area that I am almost as interested in myself our conversations are quite lively! At our 'Not the Hunt Ball Night' we gave the others a lesson on the change in the date of New Year (we were discussing Chinese New Year and I was saying that it was originally New Year in March - Zoe corrected me on the date when it changed.....

I certainly also find that there are times when I take something to heart that someone has said without thinking LMV and it can really eat you up. It does of course lead to inappropriate eating. The last few weeks have involved a lot of chocolate! Lunch today was another bowl of stew and dumplings - lots of lovely chunky vegetables and beef. I so enjoyed it. I shouldn't really be eating dumplings but they are soooo delicious.

My weekend went well and I managed to eat reasonably. I had a day of judging on Sunday (although I only stayed part of the day as it was a bit of a tricky step up to the box and oh it was cold!) Still I also managed to make some chocolate buns for the day. I had valet parking too as the car park was a bit tricky so James the organiser parked my car out of the way and then brought it back to me when I was ready to leave!

Good luck with the grandchild BM - it must be very nerve wracking for you given the complications but I'm sure all will be well. Wouldn't it be amazing if you were able to meet with LMV?

I'm back to work tomorrow on short hours again but since I'm driving again I hope that i'll be making longer hours each day and back to normal the week after. Will keep you informed. Mum and Dad will go home on Friday so I will be properly back to normal for the following week.

We had a little snow when I woke this morning but it soon melted and although we are getting the odd shower its not too bad. Nothing like others have been getting though.

I probably have a million things to say but will stop for now and have another go later!

take care Crackers!

PB xx
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    Evening Crackers,

Well today I did something I don't normally do, I got on the scales on a non-weigh day. The news is not good and now I remember exactly why I don't do it. After the w-e of out of routine eating and alcohol which I had last night I seem to have put on 2lbs. Hmmmm.........not happy. I think I am going to have to put in a day of mega exercise tomorrow to try and retrieve the situation before weighing in on Wednesday. I've got a lot to do tomorrow though as we are having six people round to dinner on Saturday and four of them are staying over so I need to get the rooms ready. It's a desert island disc evening so everyone Is telling me their three favourite records from the 1960's beforehand and I will play them during the evening and we'll guess who has chosen which record. We're also dressing 60's so we need to get our costumes sorted too. One friend is a coeliac so the menu has to be gluten free - lots to think about. Between all that I need to get the exercise in!

PB, it's good to hear that you managed OK over the w-e and fantastic that you are driving again now. I'm sure that makes a big difference. It really hasn't taken you long to bounce back from your injury. You managed to pack a lot in with making buns and judging. Good for you.

So, has anyone got any favourite records from the 60's?

Be good everyone

xx
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    Bracken, just seen that you have lost another 2lbs. Brilliant, but I know where it went lol!

xx
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Hello all. Yes, LMV, I am very happy to have lost that two pounds but I assure you I did not send it your way. It was supposed to go to Angelina Jolie! I managed to do some exercise today which I have posted. Thankfully I was feeling quite a bit better than I had for the previous three days though not 100%. Today is a strange holiday here called Family Day; it is provincially mandated but for complicated reasons not everyone gets it. My brother who is a teacher was off work though and dropped in with a coffee and for a chat this morning which was nice. He lives quite near and has a rural property. He also is among the most energetic people I have ever known. This weekend despite the dreadful weather he drove to Pennsylvania where his daughter is in University, a four hour trip each way, all done on Saturday so he could watch her hockey game. (I was terribly worried all Saturday evening until he was home as the evening news showed a dreadful accident with 50 vehicles and 3 killed in
    Pennsylvania) For many years, he has made maple syrup as a hobby. So he has already tapped over 100 trees and was showing me video on his phone of boiling down some sap last night in his sugar shack in the woods. It takes about 40 gallons of sap to make one gallon of syrup and he usually makes over 20 gallons of syrup, all of which he gives away. So although it is still very cold and wintry, in the trees the sap is running- a sign that spring will come.
    Good news on your front, PB, with getting back to driving and getting out to judge. Still, I'm sure it is good that you are still on a reduced work time for a few more days.
    BM, you must be so looking forward to your holiday in England. Seeing your daughter and family, a new grandchild, the lovely hotel- try to focus on these. I do understand your dislike of flying. The anticipation can be very stressful. But it is good to see on the exercise thread that you are again able to do some walking so hope that may help with sleep and worry somewhat. LMV, your weekend festivities sound like a lot of fun and a lot of work in preparation. I'll look forward to hearing about your costume and interested in your choice of music. I was in university in the late sixties so that really was in many ways the music of my era. Of course, I liked the Beatles and my friend and I saw them twice in Toronto (that was before university of course). In university I was a real "folkie" and huge Joan Baez and Dylan fan although I never saw him until many years later (in one of his bad periods in which he gave a rather poor show!). I also liked Leonard Cohen, Emmy Lou Harris, Gordon Lightfoot, John Foggerty, Kris Kristofferson, Janis Joplin, Neil Young, Tom Rush, Arlo Guthrie etc. I suppose for purists most of these artists were inspired by folk and also blues but these are some of the singers I liked.
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    I'm afraid I'm more a child of the 70's than 60's so its Hermans Hermits for me (Peter Noone and that big golden smile!). I was definitely Beatles (early) not Rolling Stones though. what a fab idea for an evening dinner. I usually only manage the food and then expect everyone to entertain themselves and then I provide them with a humungous breakfast the following morning. Mind you its been a long time since I did anything of the sort. Maybe I should have a go later this year? (when I've taken off another stone perhaps). Like you Bracken, my taste in the 70/80's went towards folk music due mostly to an Irish boyfriend who was a folk music afficianodo. So mostly Irish Bands too. Mind you I'm sitting here now trying to remember a few and the only one that comes to mind is 'The Bully Wee Band'. I liked the Chieftans too but for me the music was always more interesting than the name of the band so perhaps that's why I don't remember any. Also the majority of the music was on tapes (also provided by the Irish boyfriend) and so its long gone.

I've just seen pictures of some of my Canadian family on face book celebrating Family Day. Its a lovely idea and they were certainly enjoying themselves although I think they are missing my Cousins Josh and Vera who have sadly died in the last few months (both in their 90s and after 70 years of marriage). We don't have such things in the UK of course and everyone hates bank holidays cos it always rains!!!!

I'm looking at a holiday cottage in Yorkshire to take Mum and Dad too as a thankyou although it will probably be late Sept/early Oct when we go. I have to get the time off work now though.

Well that's all for now as I need to get ready for work today!

take care Crackers and keep losing

PB xx
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    Bracken, absolutely fabulous and well done on the 2lbs. Considering the dreadful weather conditions and your digestive problems that is a brilliant amount. I have been looking at the irobots on line and would love one. I was wondering how Harry would be with it, I don't think he is quite as sensible as Nellie!

MITM, I look at all your exercise and just think wow! I wish you well with your weigh in this week, although I would imagine the tape measure will be a better guide as you are now so toned. Inspiring.

LMV, you too are a machine! I am so impressed with all the steps you are getting in. I was thinking earlier I may well have a bash at Shredding in June. Not decided yet though whether to put myself through all that torture, although I must admit the results are impressive. I would love to meet up for a coffee with you. I don't have a UK number yet but will put it on here for you once I get organised there. I usually buy a pay as you go sim card and then always end up losing it or forgetting to top it up within the six months. So I just keep having new ones! Also the proximity of John Lewis to the Marriot made me laugh when you mentioned it. I was thinking that when my daughter is resting I can pop across to JL and she will never even know I have been AWOL lol xx

PB, I expect you are delighted to have your independence back. It must be lovely to have your parents help, but I am sure you are happy to have the plaster cast and its tribulations behind you! Good luck with the starting back to work xx

My big news for the day is..... I have swum! I only did 6 lengths but it is a very large pool :)
    I am feeling quite proud of myself for plucking up the courage and doing it. My other news is......my jeans fit Yay!! I ended up buying a pair from Fatface UK, they were delivered yesterday and I got them on with no muffin top. I was so happy but unfortunately they were ridiculously long. I got a regular (I am 5ft 7") and there is about 6inches to come off. I am not sending them back so will have a bash on the sewing machine. If I mess up they can be capris or even shorts!

I have my ironing to do now, ugh. OH is off again soon so I want to make sure he has shirts etc. He thinks I am mad doing them as we have a dry cleaners on site, but I don't mind even if do moan about it! I have started taking them to the wardrobe one at a time as I iron them so I get more steps in lol xx (every little helps!).

Wishing you all a good day, BM xx
  • Lovemyveg
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hello Crackers,

Weigh in day today and I have lost another 2lbs! I'm so glad I ignored what happened on my non weigh day weigh-in and didn't let it upset me too much. This is exactly why I weigh once a week at exactly the same time in exactly the same clothes!

PB - I too am a child of the 70's rather than the 60's, but there is so much good music from the 60's which I have heard on the radio and elsewhere that I still found it hard to pick just three songs. It's lovely that you are taking your Mother and Father away to Yorkshire. It's such an enormous county and not one I know very well. Have you decided which part you will go to yet? I will be going up to York with a friend the week-end after next for a show and we will stay overnight so it will be a chance to look around the city of York again which is beautiful.

BM - I am so proud of you for getting in that pool. I know it does take a lot of courage but I bet you felt fab after it. Brilliant news about the jeans too although for some reason I was really surprised to hear that you are 5'7". I don't know why, but I had it in my head that you weren't very tall. Back in the early days I must have attributed a comment someone else made about their height to you. It's only 100yds (if that) from the Marriot to JL and you may well have a view of it from your room depending on which side of the wing you are on. You will definitely be able to sneak out without your daughter knowing. If we can grab a coffee (or a walk!) while you are here that would be fantastic. Do you still have my number? I'll put it in a message to you just in case.

Bracken - I chuckled about your Angelina Jolie comment. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could nominate a recipient for our excess weight?! Angelina would be deluged I'm sure! Making maple syrup sounds like a real labour of love and if you are lucky enough to get a jar of it from your brother I'm sure you savour every mouthful knowing the effort that has gone into it. What a fantastic memory seeing The Beatles in concert must be. I can't believe I haven't got a Beatles record in my top three, but they didn't quite make it. My favourite Beatles song is probably The Long and Winding Road. My costume is still under development (tomorrow's job) but I did buy some enormous false eyelashes today ready for the 60's make up. My three picks are Sugar Sugar by The Archies, Something Stupid by Frank and Nancy Sinatra (my father used to play this on the piano and we would sing it together) and then either What becomes of the Broken Hearted by Jimmy Ruffin or Baby Love by Diana Ross and the Supremes. I can't quite make my mind up. As a Welsh girl I was tempted to pick Delilah by Tom Jones as well! It's very hard to select just three and I think to some extent it depends on your mood at the time.

MITM - seems like you are overloading on the exercise and at this rate you will definitely get a good result on Monday I am sure. The blood, sweat and tears will be worth it when you get on the scales.

Be good all

xx
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Hello Crackers. What a thoughtful thank you, PB, to take your parents to York. I have been there once when my cousin and his wife owned a small gift shop. I remember it as a very beautiful city. My mother and I went on an evening ghost walk around many sites said to be haunted. It was led by an older fellow, a Yorkshireman with a true gift for story telling. There was history everywhere and the proprietor of one small restaurant took us to his basement to see a segment of Roman wall. While in Yorkshire we also took the train to Thirsk in hopes of seeing James Herriot but the surgery was closed that day.
    BM, good for you taking the plunge into the water. Another victory. Too bad about the length of your pants but still it must be very satisfying that they fit well. I'm surprised that at 5'7", they were much too long. I'm 5'5" and used to think I was of average height and used to not have much problem with pant length either. But now there are often pants I try on that are a couple of inches too long and I often feel rather short when I see so many tall girls about.
    LMV, another brilliant weight loss and again you have shown the importance of attitude and taking the long view, not panicking at that uptick midweek.
    I've enjoyed the comments about music. I had difficulty thinking of top three artists let alone individual songs and I do think the associations of a song and one's mood are very important. I was never a huge Abbba fan but after I saw the Movie, Momma Mia I loved the soundtrack and that movie remains one of my favourites and is probably the movie I would most pick if I were depressed to feel better. Nothing like Momma Mia world here today. More snow squalls this afternoon and very cold.
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Well Crackers, this has been a day. When I took Nellie out this morning I was shocked to see my vehicle (a small pickup truck) has been stolen!! I could not belief it, seeing the empty driveway. I even had a couple of irrational thoughts like did I leave it at the motor repair shop yesterday or maybe my brother came and borrowed it! Of course, there are worse things that can happen but for the first couple of hours I really felt as if I were in mild shock. Then I had to call the police and report it and report to my insurance company too. The vehicle is actually quite old (a 2001 model) but has been an excellent one. I have been thinking of buying a new truck at the end of this summer; that is when I have always bought vehicles because that is considered to be the end of the current year and the next year's models are introduced. Usually there are good sales at that time and one can save considerable money. Now is not a good time to have to buy a vehicle and besides, I wouldn't normally want to buy in the middle of winter. If there was anything positive about today it was that I did some exercise and that seemed to really moderate the drive eat my distress- something which easy develops in me. I'm not sure where I'll proceed from here yet.
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    Oh Bracken, what a shock! I am so sorry this has happened to you. Hopefully the police may find it if someone stole it for a ride home. I am so annoyed on your behalf! Like every other decent person I abhor theft, I pray the only luck the thief will have from now on is bad luck. Sending love and hugs to you and Nellie xxx