OK...how exactly to lose weight while lifting?

Options
2»

Replies

• BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    it's recommended I eat 1g protein per proud of body weight!? Really, how the heck am I suppose to do that!? :huh:

Whey, chicken breast, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, egg whites, etc. it's not hard. I personally find my workouts are better if I get 0.8-1 gram per lb of body weight. I average 140 grams day. You have to think about protein FIRST and then build your meal around it. You'll get better and better at it.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Thank you OP for this post. This is exactly my current question. Looks like I will stay the course and just keep upping my weights and get lots of protein and add a little additional cardio.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    it's recommended I eat 1g protein per proud of body weight!? Really, how the heck am I suppose to do that!? :huh:

Whey, chicken breast, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, egg whites, etc. it's not hard. I personally find my workouts are better if I get 0.8-1 gram per lb of body weight. I average 140 grams day. You have to think about protein FIRST and then build your meal around it. You'll get better and better at it.
    I have been able to break 125g+ during the week since starting NR & I finally broke 160g+ yesterday, but getting upwards of my body weight is a real challenge......:huh: I've added egg whites to my whey shakes and that's helped. I think I will start cooking a bunch of chicken breasts on Sunday night so I have easy access to them throughout the week.
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've been on a year and a half plateau as far as weight loss (eating 1400 or less a day) after losing about 70 lbs. I'm about 30 lbs from goal and I have decided to stop sweating the scale so much and focus on being fit. Like the OP I hope to lose weight (really inches) with this workout. I did the calculations in the book to get a maintenance of ~2000 and weight days ~2300. I'm cutting 200 from that in hopes that I might lose. I think like other people said though that macros are important, specifically protein. I'm still having trouble with that as well, and honestly don't know if it's possible without supplements. I plan to get some good quality whey protein soon.

I guess the general idea being losing while lifting is just that building muscle increases metabolism (i.e., RMR) so over time you should get weight loss just through your body using more "fuel" during the day.

I hope it's been working for you so far. I just started so I'm hoping as well. Love it so far though.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options

I have been able to break 125g+ during the week since starting NR & I finally broke 160g+ yesterday, but getting upwards of my body weight is a real challenge......:huh: I've added egg whites to my whey shakes and that's helped. I think I will start cooking a bunch of chicken breasts on Sunday night so I have easy access to them throughout the week.

Well, it also depends upon what your deficit is. If you're eating 1500 cals and weigh 175lbs, yeah, that's going to be REALLY hard. It's always a good idea to at least get 1 gram per lb of lean mass and find what macros work best for you within your calorie goals.
  • CactusF1ower
    CactusF1ower Posts: 174 Member
    Options

Thanks for the protein first advice. I never thought of that. I really need to cut some things out of my diet. I've gained 4 lbs in the 2 week period that I didn't pay close attention to logging :(