June Paleo Challenge

Options
Eat2Live2Run
Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
My CrossFit box is doing a Paleo Challenge for the month of June and I'm so excited! This is exactly what I need right now to help me get completely back on track, I've been floundering a lot lately and dealing with stress and depression from an ongoing injury that has been plaguing me for 3 months. I've done a Whole30 before back in November, but the official rules of this challenge aren't quite that strict. (Allows 6 oz of red wine or 2 oz tequila per day) ... A couple of the "rules" I disagree with, like the inclusion of protein powders, bars, etc. Blech! But I know if I can show some self control I can blow this challenge out of the water. :)

Just putting it out there unless anyone else feels like they need something like this in their life right now and wants to join me in supporting each other.

Replies

• bcd2007
    bcd2007 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Count me in!
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Do you have a link for the challenge (or just more details)? I'm trying paleo for the month of June and Whole30 seems too strict for me right now.
  • AlaskaLily
    AlaskaLily Posts: 75
    Options
    I just started this week, but count me in and I'll totally rock that!
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Options
    Do you have a link for the challenge (or just more details)? I'm trying paleo for the month of June and Whole30 seems too strict for me right now.

Sure, the document I have is like 3-4 pages long, but I'll lay out the specific rules for you that it included:

Allowed: All meats, all non-starchy veggies, all fruits, sweet potatoes, squashes, nuts (except peanuts, they are legumes), seeds, eggs, ghee or clarified butter, 1/2 Tbsp of natural sweeteners per day including agave, honey, coconut sweeteners, Stevia (1 packet/day), dried fruits with no added sugar. Red wine (6 oz per day, cannot be rolled over to future days), Tequila (2oz/day, cannot be rolled over). **Protein powders and bars in moderation.

** I disagree with this and won't most likely be including it, but I didn't make the "rules".

Not Allowed: Refined sweeteners or artificial sugars (including gum, candy, mints, etc), dairy foods including butter (ghee is ok), cereal grains or rice including, grain-like seeds including quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth, legumes (chickpeas, peanuts, soy beans), white potatoes or anything they are made from, soft drinks and fruit juices.

Feel free to follow at whatever level of commitment you'd like. The actual challenge (at my gym) requires that I turn in my daily food journal to the moderator each day, points will be given for following these guidelines and deducted for "cheats".
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I like this.

My boyfriend and I were just debating allowing some natural sweeteners and decided to allow some raw honey (after reading Mark Sisson's article about it http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-honey-a-safer-sweetener/#axzz2UDVw4Aiw). I think we're going to limit ourselves to just the one sweetener for the time being, mostly for budget reasons since we're building a paleo pantry from scratch.

I agree with you on the protein powder/bars--I'm sure there are some paleo-friendly protein powders out there but the most popular ones aren't even close.
  • annethom13
    annethom13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ive been paleo for about a month now, im 12lb down and am loving it
    I would love to join you all on this june challenge
    feel free to add me as well as Id love to have more paleo friends x
  • mandabrett
    mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm in too!
  • dannyXoxo
    dannyXoxo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Feel free to add me too :p
  • ShoeZilla
    ShoeZilla Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just started my Paleo eating plan a 6 days ago and have lost 7 pounds. I have struggled with my weight for 10 years now and this seems to be the thing that works for me. I cannot wait to see what's next!!!
  • nikig7
    nikig7 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hi I would like to join in as well...I have been researching the Paleo way of eating for a few days now since finding out I have an autoimmune issue...I'm quite nervous about it and being able to stick to it but i'm so glad to have found a group of people who are following the same plan....all the best on the challenge!
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Options
    Awesome! I can't wait to get this thing under way! :)
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I need to get back to it. It's amazing how bad my anxiety has gotten since being on Paleo. That alone is motivation. That and feeling and looking better!!
  • jakenfrankie
    jakenfrankie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I tried paleo/primal about a year ago and initially lost a few lbs but then GAINED and i got so pissed i quit. I am gearing up for my wedding in August and am feeling a little desparate since I have been on a plateau for several months now- thinking it might be time to give primal eating another try. Count me in for June!
  • foodfathought
    foodfathought Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join - I just started paleo this week after several weeks of research :)
  • jakenfrankie
    jakenfrankie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Planning on grocery shopping this weekend so that I can get a fresh start on this on Monday! Anyone doing the same? What are "staples" that you plan on for portable work breakfasts and lunches? What about dinners? Anyone cooking for a non-paleo partner or family? What's your plan for that?
    Also, with summer coming up it's going to be pretty near impossible for me to not drink some beers or crisp white wines...anyone experience success on this while still having a few cocktails on the weekends?
  • Melany502
    Melany502 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm in!!
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Options
    Planning on grocery shopping this weekend so that I can get a fresh start on this on Monday! Anyone doing the same? What are "staples" that you plan on for portable work breakfasts and lunches? What about dinners? Anyone cooking for a non-paleo partner or family? What's your plan for that?
    Also, with summer coming up it's going to be pretty near impossible for me to not drink some beers or crisp white wines...anyone experience success on this while still having a few cocktails on the weekends?

My staples:

Proteins - steak, shrimp, chicken breasts and thighs, bacon, ground beef, eggs, salmon or other fish.
    Produce - brussel sprouts, asparagus, zucchini and yellow squash, sweet potatoes, broccoli, avocados, cherry tomatoes. I don't eat much fruit.
    Pantry/Fridge - Coconut oil, olive oil, ghee, balsamic vinegar, dijon and spicy mustard, larabars, variety of spices/herbs.

Favorite Recipes:

Puerto Rican Beef (http://everydaypaleo.com/puerto-rican-beef/)
    Crockpot Meatballs (http://christietracy.blogspot.com/2010/08/amazing-paleo-crockpot-meatballs.html)
    Best Steak Ever (http://eattolivelivetorun.com/2012/11/20/the-best-steak-ever/)
    Chicken Cabbage Curry Stew (http://eattolivelivetorun.com/2012/11/06/whole30-day-1-2/)
    Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps (Practical Paleo)
    Balsamic Braised Short Ribs (Practical Paleo)
    Paleo Pizza Peppers (http://inspiredeats.net/paleo-survival-recipe-pizza-peppers/)
    Crockpot Kielbasa and Kraut (http://paleopot.com/2011/05/paleopot-paleo-kielbasa-super-kraut-recipe-for-your-crock-pot-slow-cooker/)
    Bacon Jalapeno Broiled or Grilled Shrimp -- (1 lb (21-30 count) fresh shrimp, shelled and deveined. Toss shrimp in 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp onion powder and 1 tsp Paprika. Let set in fridge for atleast 30 minutes. Pre-cook bacon in microwave for 1 1/2 minutes, cut each slice in half. Wrap 1 shrimp with 1 sliver of fresh jalapeno and 1/2 slice of bacon. Grill for 2-3 minutes per side until shrimp turns pink, or broil in oven for approximately the same time -- I served mine with Homemade Horseradish Mayo.)
  • deanna198888
    Options
    I am in. Can I still have coffee and bacon?
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

My fav portable meals are salads, and slices of avocado wrapped with paleo ok lunchmeat (roast beef is my fav).

My fav *treat* is a banana cut in half length wise with 1 tbspn almon butter spread on it and 1/2 tbspn raw honey drizzled on it (sandwhich style for me, but open face is good too!).
  • mandabrett
    mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Today is June ! Is everyone stating today? It's 4:05pm here. I'm still on track. Day by day.