why are you single?

Options

Replies

• Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

Because Papa told me that if I want a man who is healthy and active and amazing and smart and funny and adventurous and brave and hard working and dedicated and strong... then I better be all of those things too - so he doesnt get the short end of the stick in our relationship.

Whole post was great, but particularly liked this one. . I'm going to teach this to MY Kid! (and to myself too :) ).
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options

Because Papa told me that if I want a man who is healthy and active and amazing and smart and funny and adventurous and brave and hard working and dedicated and strong... then I better be all of those things too - so he doesnt get the short end of the stick in our relationship.

Whole post was great, but particularly liked this one. . I'm going to teach this to MY Kid! (and to myself too :) ).
    [/quote

this is great and i agree with everyone who says that they are trying love themselves first. i'm not trying to criticize anyone but that makes me sad because everyone should love themselves :ohwell:
    but if u struggle with this, i wish u the best and i support you in being single. there's nothing worse than people looking for a relationship in order to feel validated. hugs for everyone lol.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Most people know the backstory so not going into all that here.

For today it is because I am still living in a run down old farmhouse on 115 acres that I hope next week to have in my name finally so I can try to sell it.
    I hate the NY cold/expense and want to get the heck out to warmer climates.
    No point in trying to enter into something with that being the case.

if you're farmhouse wasn't in NY i'd move in with you :-)
    then you wouldn't be single anymore and i would have the farm i want!!!

WIN WIN

Find me a farm where it is warm.:wink:

WIN WIN WIN

it's warm here :-) and there are lots of farms!!!! move here. it will be PERFECT :-)
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I'm single because I'm picky and I'm really scared of rejection.
  • nolachick
    Options
    Most people know the backstory so not going into all that here.

For today it is because I am still living in a run down old farmhouse on 115 acres that I hope next week to have in my name finally so I can try to sell it.
    I hate the NY cold/expense and want to get the heck out to warmer climates.
    No point in trying to enter into something with that being the case.

if you're farmhouse wasn't in NY i'd move in with you :-)
    then you wouldn't be single anymore and i would have the farm i want!!!

WIN WIN

Find me a farm where it is warm.:wink:

WIN WIN WIN

it's warm here :-) and there are lots of farms!!!! move here. it will be PERFECT :-)

will u two please exchange numbers already? :bigsmile:
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I think it's mostly because no one ever asks me out.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    lacking confidence. body image issues.
    fear of rejection
    extremely dense when it comes to the opposite sex. i.e she is flirting/hitting on me and I have no clue
  • Jarnard
    Jarnard Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I think I fall in friend zone too much.
  • nightsrainfall
    nightsrainfall Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm insecure in my self. Shy, Introverted, and Slow to meet people. But what really holds me back is I'm very guarded and don't exactly open up well.

But I'm great at getting in and being open in the friend zone, lol.
  • Jeffjaysmith
    Jeffjaysmith Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm single because I don't have much of a social life anymore, since all of my friends have moved away (at least, all the ones that I could ever talk into going out and doing things). So, I don't get to meet women very often.

And when I do, I always get shot down. Every single time. Why? I don't know, I'm working on figuring that part out. In the meantime, that certainly hasn't helped my confidence any. :ohwell:
  • nolachick
    Options
    I'm insecure in my self. Shy, Introverted, and Slow to meet people. But what really holds me back is I'm very guarded and don't exactly open up well.

ur probably ok with getting into friend zone becuz u know there's no possibility of rejection? just thinking outloud here.

its good to be guarded and protect your feelings just keep in mind sometimes if you're too guarded you are not letting in the nice guys either. you kinda have to find a good balance :)
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options

ur probably ok with getting into friend zone becuz u know there's no possibility of rejection? just thinking outloud here.

its good to be guarded and protect your feelings just keep in mind sometimes if you're too guarded you are not letting in the nice guys either. you kinda have to find a good balance :)

^^ what she just said!
  • Jodibear58
    Jodibear58 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Because I was married for 25 years, divorced 4 years ago and no one is interested in me.
  • nolachick
    Options
    Because I was married for 25 years, divorced 4 years ago and no one is interested in me.

i dont believe that no one is interested in u! and u definitely look way younger than ur age! are u lookin?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Because my ex was a complete idiot, I wouldn't even begin to know where to meet a single man, and I'm too damn old so it's not like I actually have any options anyway.
  • nightsrainfall
    nightsrainfall Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Fear of rejection / fear of closeness to a new person - I dunno which it is or if it's a combination. But you and Carl are correct. I just need to work on the balance and giving people a chance. But hey - change happens every day, so we can always continue to grow - right? :-)
  • ambercholtz
    ambercholtz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Haha, I find this funny because my ex-husbands new wife told me yesterday that I can't keep a man. LOL :laugh:

That is NOT my problem in the least. :smooched: LOL. I am single because I actually WANT to be. I had spent the past 4 years dating guys who would blurt out that they LOVE ME within 24 hours, and honestly as flattering as it may seem, it scares me off.

I have decided to concentrate on my child and myself right now. I have enough to keep me busy that I do not need to worry about meeting anyone. If it happens then it happens but I am no longer in a rush. I would rather meet the right person than a bunch of the wrong people. :heart:
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time letting people in and it's often mistaken for being stuck up. Once I do let them in, I have high standards and I'm hard to keep up with. The ones who can overlook this will stick around. But I'm usually the one saying it's just not working. I'd rather be alone than waste time with someone I know it's not gonna work out with.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Great question, OP.

I'm single for a variety of reasons:

1 - I had a very bad marriage and it's hard to have a serious relationship after that experience. Once bitten, etc., etc.

2 - I travel like crazy. i'm on a plane every other week, on average. Good luck with that...

3 - When I'm not away on business, I try to spend as much time as possible with my two kids. They are 11 and 9, and need a lot of attention. I enjoy being with them, too. But it makes it difficult to make time for someone else.

4 - I live in the Czech Republic, but not in Prague. I have a small apartment in Prague, but I only use this when I'm working there. I live with my kids in a town in the north, very near the Czech/Polish/German border, about 90 min from Prague. There are fewer compatible women here. It's not just about the number of available women. Most educated women are living and working in Prague, because the salary levels there are so much higher for Czechs. All of the women I've dated since my divorce were from Prague, but that means I have at most 1 or 2 days a week when I'm there, max. It's just not possible to have a relationship under those conditions.

5 - I'm 45. It's hard to find a woman who isn't in a similar situation as I: divorced, children, limited time, etc. Younger women can't understand why I'm at hockey tournaments on weekends instead of with them - and I don't blame them... Women close to my age have their own kids and their own priorities.

6 - Living in a foreign country adds another layer of complexity. I speak Czech, it's not a language issue. It's more cultural. For example, I love to laugh, and I can be very sarcastic (hopefully not "cruel" sarcastic). In any case, it doesn't translate well.

7 - I'm probably unreasonable in what I desire from a woman. Too many contradictions within my "perfect" mate. Also, on a related note, I'm not a "normal" guy, and I think it's hard for women to understand who I am and what I want.

8 - I am a very friendly and social person (I swear!), but not until I get to know someone. I don't do well when I first meet people. I'm not very forward, and people take this for arrogance ("I guess he's not interested" etc. etc.). It makes it harder to meet people. I'm trying to work on this... Alcohol helps... :-)

9 - I have a bad habit of making numbered lists in my posts, which is a huge turn off for most women. :-)

I haven't really given up, but I'm not seriously looking for a girlfriend now. It's just too unlikely, given my constraints, and I don't want to start something when I don't have the time to do it properly.

--P
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    I only get the pervy ones after one thing with me but never the decent guy who is genuinely interested.

I really really miss dating and getting butterflies over a guy. The ones I am actually interested in are too far out of reach too.