C25K - August, 2012

Options
Hi New Runners,

Everyone is welcome to join this newbie group.

1. What Week/Day are you on?
2. How do you feel?
3. Have you had to repeat a week or day?
4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs?
5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet?

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Replies

• the1to1
    the1to1 Posts: 49
    Options
    1. What Week/Day are you on? W5D2
    2. How do you feel? Sweaty
    3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? No
    4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? No
    5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? I was on vacation and did a couple days on the treadmill. I think I run faster on the treadmill. I got up at 6 am to beat the heat and didn't have any problems doing the 2-8 minutes jogs. Yes, I was tired and sweaty when I finished and I know I'm SLOW but I finished. After I showered and got ready, I sat down and took a 30 min nap before going to work. Trying to get myself psyched for D3!

Just wondering what app/podcast are you using? I use RunKeeper to track my route and distance but listen to NHS 5K. I love RunKeeper....I've even used it when walking trails to find my way back. The NHS is great to know when to change from walking/running.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • AndreaPool
    Options
    1. What Week/Day are you on? W5D3

2. How do you feel? VERY accomplished :)!

4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? No, was sooooo happy that I finished the 20 minute run without stopping !!

5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? As the last times, it's becoming more clear to me that my challenge with this C25K is really more in my head than physical... As long as I keep thinking positively ("I CAN DO THIS!"), I'm fine :)!

I'm using the C25K app by Zen Labs and really enjoy it. It gives clear clues and allows you to play your own music. I track my route by just putting it into Google Maps... Did 4.5K today :)!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    1. What Week/Day are you on? W6 Day 3
    2. How do you feel? I might die
    5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? hmmmm.... not really

I use the treadmill so I just take my little paper to the gym. I downloaded some podcast but haven't used it yet.
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Quick introduction: My name is Brittany, I'm a 24 year old a funeral director living in SE Minnesota. Never been a runner in my entire life (in fact, running around the gym in high school was tough). Some of my co-workers decided to run a 5K in late October, so I started C25K yesterday. It's less than 9 weeks until the actual race, so I might do the program 4 days/week instead of 3. I don't know if that'll be harmful or beneficial, so I'm still toying with the idea... Anyway...

1. Week one, day two. Almost brand new.
    2. I feel great. Surprisingly. Day one was easier than I anticipated. I felt like I could run longer and faster, but I kept with the program. Excited to keep going!
    3. No, haven't repeated any days.
    4. Too early to tell :/ (hope to answer again after a few weeks)
    5. I don't notice anything different about myself, but I was pleasantly surprised by my endurance levels. I always thought I'd hate treadmills (used to choose the elliptical over the treadmill since I thought it was too "hard" for me). I'm guessing I'll start incorporating them in my weekly regimen.
  • CurvyMeli
    CurvyMeli Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I am so glad I found this group! I started c25k program on July 10, 2012. I have completed week 1, once. I started week 2 and realised that it is still just too hard to run for that period of time!! Granted, I had pneumonia and was nearly hospitalised the first week of June, and I don't feel I have fully recovered from it (I think trying to run in Alabama's humidity is not helping), and I have lived an extremely sedentary lifestyle the last couple of years and have nearly 200 lbs of extra weight on my frame.

What do you do if you feel like you can't make it through the workout? I do always complete the workout in terms of time, even if I must walk for the majority of it.

Anyhow...

1. Tomorrow I am going to start week 2.
    2. I feel great about trying this, and great about making sure to beat the pavement three times a week. I even feel like I need a 'run' (I don't feel confident saying that I am running just yet) some days, which is just fantastic.
    3. Yes, I have been repeating week 1 a lot, lol
    4. No, I have stuck to the timed schedule on the app I am running (rundouble in the android store), but I am not able to run all of the short runs :/
    5. Yes. I have a desire to move my body that I haven't had in many years and I have noticed my recovery time after my 'runs' is reducing.

I am wondering about the possibility that I just don't have enough muscle to sustain my large body during runs. Has anyone here found that building their muscle helps with their workout? I am doing some of the beginner's body weight routines found at nerdfitness.com.
  • Snookie86
    Snookie86 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    1. What Week/Day are you on? W1D3
    2. How do you feel? Great.
    3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? I previously made it week 4 and couldn't complete the last 5 minute run so I ended up getting discouraged and quitting all together. I know that is really dumb.
    4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? Not yet.
    5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? I don't dread doing it like I used to.

I am using the android app by Zen Labs.
  • Jaccyber
    Jaccyber Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    1. What Week/Day are you on? W6D2
    2. How do you feel? AWESOME!!
    3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? Have not repeated in Week 6.
    4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? Did an additional 20 min run after session.
    5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? Feel Great!!
  • adeleearls
    adeleearls Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    1. What Week/Day are you on? Week 4, Day 1
    2. How do you feel? encouraged, excited and damn tight in the hastrings!
    3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? not yet... but i see the weeks ahead where it's 8 mins continuous jog repeated 2x and i wonder how i'll ever be ready :-)
    4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? i am adding about a minute to each one of my jog intervals.
    5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? more confidence. i am also using a HRM so it's been fun to get target zones and accurate calorie reads. about 10 years ago, i ran marathons and was good at them...now i am lucky to run a 1/2 mile continuosly...but gotta get started somewhere!!!!
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    1. What Week/Day are you on? Week 8, Day 2
    2. How do you feel? Encouraged that I can run for 30 min and with a little more work I can run an entire 5k with a respectable time.
    3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? Repeated 3-4 days over the 8 weeks when I had a bad run day.
    4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? I sometimes jog the warmup and always run/walk the cooldown.
    5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? Cleaned up my eating act, Lost 5-6 lbs, have a good exercise routine that I enjoy, and feel confident I can run several 5k races this year.
  • centralvicgirl
    centralvicgirl Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    1. What Week/Day are you on? W2, D3
    2. How do you feel? Good, but daunted by what's to come.
    4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? I ran the last minute of the last 2 min walk.
    5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? That I still am not confident enough to believe I can run for longer. Today I ran faster (tried not to, but was on a flatter route and it just seemed to happen), and as a result my HR was higher than normal. That made me feel more tired - I can't seem to go slow enough to get any regulated breathing. Bring on W3, D1 nonetheless!
  • the1to1
    Options
    1. What Week/Day are you on? W5D3 yep completed the 20 minute jog!!
    2. How do you feel? I sweated for a LONG time after completing the jog!
    3. Have you had to repeat a week or day?No
    5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? I got up early and it was humid and foggy. It felt like I was jogging in a mist. I knew that I could complete it but I also knew that it would NOT be fast. I've been taking the same route most days (except when on vacation) so I pretty much knew where I'd be when I could start walking again. I really hate to go back to the walking breaks but I'm sure come Monday I'll need them. I was telling myself I used to walk here and I know I can make it back here....its all a mind game! Did I say that I was SLOW...only 2.12 miles but its always been about that.
  • huffandpuff
    huffandpuff Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am starting C25K tomorrow and am signing up for my first ever 5K that will take place on Thanksgiving Day morning. Hopefully that will give me the incentive I need to stick with it! I am pretty overweight, so wish me luck!
  • Jaccyber
    Options
    1. What Week/Day are you on? W6D3
    2. How do you feel? On top of the world!!
    3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? Not in week 6
    4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? Yes - Added12 minutes to the run today.
    5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? I am able to run for 34 minutes straight... AWESOME!!
  • floatymonkey
    floatymonkey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    2. How do you feel? Still very excited about running!
    3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? I often repeat a few days because it builds up stamina to move to the next level. I also do a week over 4/5 days as opposed to the recommend 3 days a week.
    4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? Remove time from the walks in between the running
    5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? I can run! Not for 30 minutes yet but more than I ever could!
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    1. What Week/Day are you on? W4-D1
    2. How do you feel? Worn out.
    3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? Nope.
    4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? Not to running. Sometimes I walk a little longer on my cool down so my legs don't cramp when I get done.
    5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? I started C25K to try to strengthen my leg after having a blood clot several years ago. I was hoping that my muscles would get stronger and I wouldn't limp/get tired so often. Luckily this has been the case! My leg doesn't get tired or numb so easily. I feel like I can walk longer. My lungs feel stronger. I also feel really antsy on my days off, so I've started other activities to do on those days (yoga and disc golf).

I'm a bit nervous about the upcoming weeks. If anyone would like to friend me feel free to. It would be great to have a bit of motivation to continue specially since I'll be starting school again soon and I always use that as an excuse to quit exercising.
  • Jaccyber
    Options
    1. What Week/Day are you on? W7D1
    2. How do you feel? On top of the world!!
    3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? Not yet in week 7
    4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? Yes - Added 7 minutes to the run today.
    5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? I ran for 32 min straight this morning and it felt... AWESOME!!
  • sbmalugin
    sbmalugin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1. What Week/Day are you on? JUST FINISHED WEEK 3
    2. How do you feel? GREAT
    3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? ON MY OFF DAYS I DO REPEATS
    4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? DON'T REALLY KEEP UP WITH TIME
    5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? NOT REALLY
  • the1to1
    Options
    1. What Week/Day are you on? W6D1
    2. How do you feel? Great
    4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? No but after the first 8 minutes I felt I could be more but then after the last 5 minute run I was ready to stop.
    5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? I've never liked to sweat so I've never pushed myself too much. When I'm finished jogging, I'm sweating and continue to sweat until I get a cool shower. Now I just need to push myself to being more active throughout the rest of the day.
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    1. What Week/Day are you on? W5D1

2. How do you feel? Accomplished

3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? Not yet, here's hoping I don't have too!

4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? Not yet!

5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? My breathing stays normal even when my heart rate is in the 160s.
  • hungryshay
    hungryshay Posts: 40 Member
    Options

2. How do you feel? Pretty good. I run with my 5 year old daughter so I think I could do it faster if I were alone but it's a lot of fun.

3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? No. This is my 2nd go at C25K. I got pregnant this time last year right after I completed it for the first time.

4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? No.

5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? I feel better mentally.