Schwaggggggg

Options

Replies

• phil85207
    Options
    The only thing I've gotten lately is my 100 mile bragging rights sticker! :drinker:

Congratulations on you first of many to come.
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Another set of cross shoes-

White is the new black.

be2de84f.jpg
  • warpedlogic
    Options
    Last thing I bought for my bike was a Blackburn Atom SL 3.0 cyclometer.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Got sick of the barometric altimeter on the Garmin 705 saying I was riding down a hill all day, every time it rained (which has been pretty much every ride this summer), so bit the bullet and bought a Edge 800 to replace it a couple of weeks ago. All things considered its a great improvement on the 705, though they've gone a little overboard with correcting the 705's well documented propensity to over-read on calorie values. For the same ride, the 705 gave a reading of 2899kcals, and the 800 came in at 1688kcals.

I really need to do a bit of testing on the Tacx trainer, and see how the 800's figure compares to the actual calories computed from the power development. Apparently, it's possible to "dial in" the 800 by adjusting your height - if you overstate how tall you are, it reads a higher calorie value, understate and it reads lower. So - if I run a series of 5k rides, comparing the calories from the Tacx and the Garmin 800, I can dial in the Garmin figures to match the Tacx (which calculates calories burned from the Actual Power Development at the rear wheel - almost as good as from a SRM crankset according to my physio/trainer)

I have to say, I had already do this process for the 705, though with the 705 you actually amended the rider weight rather than the rider height to get the consistent figures. For the purposes of the comparison test above, however, I set the 705 back to it's "untweaked" status - correct rider height, age, gender and weight, all HR zones based on correct RHR and MHR - the same settings being used on the 800 - which made the 2899/1688kcal difference of opinion slightly scary!

One thing I "may" investigate is the new HR Belt/Pseudo-Powermeter from Cycleops - the Powercal. It's supposed to be more accurate than most of the HR algorithms in it's calorie/power calculations, and it's only the price of a night out in the pub more than a replacement Garmin belt... and seeing as the HR belt that came with the 705 is looking very worse for wear, I'd probably need a replacement soon anyway!

Oh - and I think I may be in the market for a new pair of riding shoes as well - my current Specialized ones are still in great condition, but (and this has completely amazed me!) as I've lost 140lb, even my feet have got smaller! Yep - not only are they not as fat and pudgy, but the reduced weight has meant that my fallen arches have re-arched, and I now appear to need a size smaller shoe!... Who'd have thunk it :laugh:
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Got sick of the barometric altimeter on the Garmin 705 saying I was riding down a hill all day, every time it rained (which has been pretty much every ride this summer), so bit the bullet and bought a Edge 800 to replace it a couple of weeks ago. All things considered its a great improvement on the 705, though they've gone a little overboard with correcting the 705's well documented propensity to over-read on calorie values. For the same ride, the 705 gave a reading of 2899kcals, and the 800 came in at 1688kcals.

I really need to do a bit of testing on the Tacx trainer, and see how the 800's figure compares to the actual calories computed from the power development. Apparently, it's possible to "dial in" the 800 by adjusting your height - if you overstate how tall you are, it reads a higher calorie value, understate and it reads lower. So - if I run a series of 5k rides, comparing the calories from the Tacx and the Garmin 800, I can dial in the Garmin figures to match the Tacx (which calculates calories burned from the Actual Power Development at the rear wheel - almost as good as from a SRM crankset according to my physio/trainer)

I have to say, I had already do this process for the 705, though with the 705 you actually amended the rider weight rather than the rider height to get the consistent figures. For the purposes of the comparison test above, however, I set the 705 back to it's "untweaked" status - correct rider height, age, gender and weight, all HR zones based on correct RHR and MHR - the same settings being used on the 800 - which made the 2899/1688kcal difference of opinion slightly scary!

One thing I "may" investigate is the new HR Belt/Pseudo-Powermeter from Cycleops - the Powercal. It's supposed to be more accurate than most of the HR algorithms in it's calorie/power calculations, and it's only the price of a night out in the pub more than a replacement Garmin belt... and seeing as the HR belt that came with the 705 is looking very worse for wear, I'd probably need a replacement soon anyway!

Oh - and I think I may be in the market for a new pair of riding shoes as well - my current Specialized ones are still in great condition, but (and this has completely amazed me!) as I've lost 140lb, even my feet have got smaller! Yep - not only are they not as fat and pudgy, but the reduced weight has meant that my fallen arches have re-arched, and I now appear to need a size smaller shoe!... Who'd have thunk it :laugh:

I'd be interested in the outcome of your tests to calibrate the 800 to give more accurate calorie burn. I am finding a massive difference between the 800 and my old Polar FT4 HRM - not just a little but like 2/3 of the reading at least. I lost a couple of pounds and yet again it's dropped very dramatically. I suspect the Polar was slightly overstated, but not that much!! Interesting that there is such a difference between the Edge 800 and the 705 though. When I was researching the Edge 800 before I bought it they said the calculations are based on a very sophisticated system developed by a third party.

The only other thing about the 800 is still the varying of the altitudes and gains/losses. Even if the start elevation isn't right, the same journey should still give you the same gains or losses, surely, but my commute comes out differently every day!

And yep, some of my normal shoes became too big for me when I lost 5 stones a few years ago - had to buy loads of insoles!!! Of all the places I want to lose weight feet is probably the place I am least bothered about trimming down!!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Just bought some Gatorskins.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I'd be interested in the outcome of your tests to calibrate the 800 to give more accurate calorie burn. I am finding a massive difference between the 800 and my old Polar FT4 HRM - not just a little but like 2/3 of the reading at least. I lost a couple of pounds and yet again it's dropped very dramatically. I suspect the Polar was slightly overstated, but not that much!! Interesting that there is such a difference between the Edge 800 and the 705 though. When I was researching the Edge 800 before I bought it they said the calculations are based on a very sophisticated system developed by a third party.

The only other thing about the 800 is still the varying of the altitudes and gains/losses. Even if the start elevation isn't right, the same journey should still give you the same gains or losses, surely, but my commute comes out differently every day!

And yep, some of my normal shoes became too big for me when I lost 5 stones a few years ago - had to buy loads of insoles!!! Of all the places I want to lose weight feet is probably the place I am least bothered about trimming down!!

I think the Polar's are usually considered to be amongst the more accurate of the HRM's. Apparently the Garmins (500 and 800) aren't too bad PROVIDED you get one of those "NEW LEAF" tests and load the calibration file in that they provide. Problem is, as you a) get fitter or b) lose weight the "calibration" drifts and you have to get re-tested. So, its a nice steady little revenue stream for someone. Being a bit of a geek, if the pseudo-powermeter doesn't do the trick, I may pay for a testing session, then try to reverse engineer the calibration file, then possibly "roll my own" so to speak for future updates.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Cateye Strada Wireless (as a compliment to my Timex Run Trainer)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    New Socks.

Comfy Feet. Lovely.

Nothing more to be said really.
  • blobert1
    blobert1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My ride, a 2001 Huffy Mission Bay beach cruiser. Just zip-tied the belt clip from my Otterbox case to mount my phone on it. Also got a new set of bearings and a new crank.
    6a46e221.jpg
    1cd9581d.jpg
    787186e3.jpg
  • krue1971
    krue1971 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Just got my new chain and grips for my EX9, some new gloves for me. Gonna get the EX9 tuned up and ready for the 50 mile mtb race.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Just ordered a new Wahoo Blue HRM and Speed/Cadence Sensor to go with my iPhone Cyclemeter app.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Bought tubes about a month ago. Waiting for the shop to get some pedals in that were back-ordered. Oh yeah, scored a new wheel for free from REI due to a defective one (they stand by their guarantee, little over a year, multiple broken spokes, they replaced free of charge). Wish list just keeps getting longer though, new bike, new riding clothes for winter, new tires for winter, probably going to need a new chain soon, nearing the 2000 mile mark...the list grows everyday.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Okay - overtrained, tired and depressed is not a good combination for the old credit card...

Last week - Cycleops Powercal HR/Pseudo Powermeter belt., Altura Ergofit Pro Bib Shorts

This Week - Specialized RBX Bib Shorts, Sidi Genius 5 Pro Mega Shoes, Shimano Cleats to suit.

Still, it's replaced the kit I've either destroyed (the shorts) or no longer fit properly (the shoes - who'd have thought, even my feet have got smaller as I've lost weight. The old one's will be great for winter with thicker socks though - especially if I put some Gaffa tape over the sole air vents!).

And, I have to say, the Powercal belt has been a bit of a gem! I've borrowed a powertap rear wheel for a few rides, and compared the readings from the belt and the rear wheel (ran the Joule on the bars alongside the Garmin 800) and the readings have been pretty damned close... as in within 2-3%! Now, okay, the powercal had a bit of a "lag" compared to the instant changes of the powertap wheel, but frankly, for what I want - which is keeping track of fairly "steady state" work - holding say a 90% of FTP for 30 minutes at a time kind of workout, it's fine - and £80 rather than £800+ All things considered, for £30 more than a "normal" replacement Garmin HR belt, its a bit of a bargain, I'm thinking at the moment!
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Just ordered a new Wahoo Blue HRM and Speed/Cadence Sensor to go with my iPhone Cyclemeter app.

Let me know how you get on with this; I've got the ANT+ set, but may need a new one for the new bike :wink:
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Adamo Prologue saddle showing up today. Debating whether to put it on tonight before a 3.5 hour ride tomorrow or wait for a shorter ride to break it in.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options

Let me know how you get on with this; I've got the ANT+ set, but may need a new one for the new bike :wink:

It works really great. You have to download the Wahoo App to do the initial setup so the phone sees the sensors but after that I just start Cyclemeter and as long as the sensors are in range it's good to go. I love being able to see the heart rate and cadence on the graph at any given point just by checking the box. Here is how the data looks on Cyclemeter: http://ridewithgps.com/trips/909445
  • midschool22
    Options
    Jersey & bibs from Skratch Labs. Pic soon.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Finally pulled the trigger on futurizing my old '97 R200 with a threadless fork headset. Fork is used. Headset is a nice , new Token-- cheapest I could find with sealed bearings that wasn't steel cups (bad for Al frame).
  • midschool22
    Options
    New kit.

5bb3e71f.jpg