'Lock and Key' Event - Sound Like Fun?

Options
porcelain_doll
porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
I saw this on Meetup.com and am thinking about going. It is at a place less than 10 min. from my apt.

http://www.meetup.com/DetroitSingleSocialGroup/events/64846562/

In case you can't view the link (or don't want to, ha ha), here is a description of the event:

Friday, August 17

Red Ox Tavern
45411 Park Ave.
Utica, MI 48315

Suggested Age range: 24-49 (if you are a little older or younger...no biggie!!)

Check-in: 7:00-7:30pm
Mix and Mingle: 7:30-9:15pm
Prize drawing at 9:15pm
Done at 9:30pm and then stay & party until closing with no cover!!

INCLUDES:
- FREE APPETIZERS (until 8:30 PM)
- Free admission into Red Ox Tavern (no additional cover if you stay afterwards)
- Great prizes, and the opportunity to massively mix, mingle, make new friends, and who knows what else!

How It Works
Every woman gets a padlock. Every man gets a key. Your goal is to match the right key with the right padlock. Every time you unlock you get a ticket that enters you into the drawing to win great prizes from our party sponsors. Prizes such as cold hard cash, dinners, tickets to popular things to do and more. After every unlock you get another lock or key so you can get back into the fray and meet more people!

Throughout your quest of 50, 100 or even more locks/keys, you are sure to meet tons of people of the opposite sex in a fun and different way. Lock and Key Events are a great alternative to the club scene and traditional socials since the fun and unique ice-breaker format ensures you meet tons of new people!

Should I go? Anyone ever been to an event like this? It sounds fun.

Replies

• NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    It sounds like fun! Sure everyone isn't gonna be in your age bracket or "your type" but hell. If not a date, you can always meet a new friend or two.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd be too shy to go to something like that alone, but with a few friends, it could be really fun!
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds like fun! I would do it :smile:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it could be fun,will be what each one makes of it. :smile:
  • porcelain_doll
    Options
    I e-mailed one of my single girl friends and asked if she wanted to go. She travels a lot for work so hopefully she'll be around. I don't have too many single friends otherwise, so hopefully I won't wind up going alone! (I have a bit of a social anxiety problem. :blushing: )

Edit: She just e-mailed back and said she'll be out of town until the 18th. Oh boy. Okay, I can do this. I'm going to ask around and see if I can find someone else, but I'm also going to try and mentally prepare to go it alone.
  • hcoburn37
    hcoburn37 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I would definetely go, this sounds like fun!
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    MI is awful far away, I'd go in a heart beat, I'd have no problems flying solo either.

That is flippin awesome!

I'm officially marking my calendar, and will hold you accountable! Go girlfriend, that screams OPPORTUNITY!!!! :smooched:
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to go alone, but I think it would be a blast with friends!! I did see an ad for something like this in CT---but over 1.5 hrs away--not really worth all that driving
  • pkiesch
    pkiesch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    That sounds like so much fun! It'll definitely get you talking to a bunch of people. I would try to get some girlfriends to go too, but would go alone as well!
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I hope you go - even if solo... Sounds like it would be a lot of fun!
  • porcelain_doll
    Options
    MI is awful far away, I'd go in a heart beat, I'd have no problems flying solo either.

That is flippin awesome!

I'm officially marking my calendar, and will hold you accountable! Go girlfriend, that screams OPPORTUNITY!!!! :smooched:

Uh-oh, I'm on the calendar! I can't get out of it now. :happy: It is so close to home that it seems silly not to go. I need to woman up!! I hate being so shy!
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Sounds like loads of fun!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I went to one of these years ago. It was actually a lot of fun. Even if you are shy it gives you an excuse to talk to someone. And its pretty easy to tell who is interested in you and vice versa. I met someone cool and we went on a few dates. I would definitely do it again.
    If you go alone I say fine another girl that is there alone and make her your new bff for the night. That way when there is a lull in the conversation you have someone to chit chat with.
    Oh and the raffle prizes were actually pretty nice.
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Cool idea!

Think its great that you are stepping out of your comfort zone to do this. Very brave, especially if you are shy. Definitely keep asking around for some "partners in crime", but go for it!

Think it would be a great confidence booster either way and meeting someone would be a bonus...you go girl!!!
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Brilliant idea.

Do it on your own, and take some time to meet some girls at this thing as well (girls who like to do this kind of stuff as you do, and are available!).
    Always useful to have some wingwomen for the next time :wink: :laugh:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Love it sound like a load of fun
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd be too shy to go to something like that alone, but with a few friends, it could be really fun!

I am the same way. I would need a few girlfriends there to help me get the courage to go in!! But I'm sure it will be fun and hey if it sucks you can always dip out!
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Anything you can do to put yourself in front of other singles in person in your target age range is a good thing.
  • Bassafrass80
    Bassafrass80 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a ton of fun! Utica is about an hour from me, wish it was closer!!
  • porcelain_doll
    Options
    Thank you for all the encouragement! I was thinking to myself, I don't have any problem going to classes at the gym alone, even the ones held in the pool. So why should this be much different? Plus I can grab a drink to calm my nerves a little. :wink: I don't even think I've been to a singles function before.

Puck1980 - yes, too bad that you aren't closer!! That would've worked out really well!