08-07-2012 Tuesdays Mad Hatter Chatter

Options
2»

Replies

• TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Stumbling around on the internet and found this and just had to share

"The scale can only give you a numerical reflection of your relationship with gravity. That's it. It can not measure beauty, talent, purpose, life force, possibility, strength, or love."
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    What a great saying TA!!! And SO true!! Lovely thought to start the day... I'm off to work.. but whenever I need a chuckle I'm gonna think of that credit card call!

Hope everyone has a great day... know it's Wednesday but it's just another day right?? Aim for best choices, a little movement and a few laughs in your day and you'll have a great one! :o)
  • mazie61
    mazie61 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Some very funny stuff here! Thanks for the laughs ladies!:flowerforyou:
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    TA --The quote about what the scale measures moved me deeply. Another thing it does not measure is all of the experiences, good, bad, indifferent who make us who we are. I have been struggling with a yo-yo weight loss - gain cycle all of my life. One time, someone I love dearly said to me after seeing me with a big weight loss-I am so proud of you. I appreciated the encouragement, but part of me was hurt, this person never said to me I am proud of you for always trying to be a good Christian woman, or for being a loving parent, or for many of the other things that I am. Because no matter what I am, I am not the number on my scale. When, hopefully a long time from now, one of my children does my eulogy, I do not want them to look at my life and say the highlight of my life was that "in 2012 she began to finally live a fit life and finally became and remained a healthy size" (even though I know that will be true) I want my eulogy to be about all of the things that I have been to other people, I want people to remember me because I tried to live the golden rule, not because I was the person who lost a lot of weight.
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    TA --The quote about what the scale measures moved me deeply. Another thing it does not measure is all of the experiences, good, bad, indifferent who make us who we are. I have been struggling with a yo-yo weight loss - gain cycle all of my life. One time, someone I love dearly said to me after seeing me with a big weight loss-I am so proud of you. I appreciated the encouragement, but part of me was hurt, this person never said to me I am proud of you for always trying to be a good Christian woman, or for being a loving parent, or for many of the other things that I am. Because no matter what I am, I am not the number on my scale. When, hopefully a long time from now, one of my children does my eulogy, I do not want them to look at my life and say the highlight of my life was that "in 2012 she began to finally live a fit life and finally became and remained a healthy size" (even though I know that will be true) I want my eulogy to be about all of the things that I have been to other people, I want people to remember me because I tried to live the golden rule, not because I was the person who lost a lot of weight.

Perfectly said.
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    there's a song by the sidewalk prophets called "i wanna live like that" - do a google - very inspiring and well said:flowerforyou:

Carol....
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Janet just in the short time I have gotten to know you hear I am sure you will be remember for all the things you do for others. Your giving soul comes across as in your supporting post. I am still working on becoming more of a giver than a taker. That has been such a hard thing for me as I am a more private person in my life outside online. That is part of why I love this hatters group. I don't feel the pressure to be everything everyone else expects and I can share freely b/c of that. I know just as I am over coming this weight I am also changing more spiritually in who I am. I am learning to not stress the little things and for the first time in my life I can see myself moving closer to not arriving at happy but being happy. ( I hope you understand what I mean by that)

I love my hatter friends and look forward to reading each of your post. I share often your words of encouragement with my husband or my daughter as a stepping stone to breaking down some of my protective walls. I thank each of your for all that you give !!!!!
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    So I'm sitting 2 lbs up after going over both days on calories last weekend. :( I have been exercising most days and eating better, but nothing moving scale-wise. Today I didn't get much walking in, but I did go and buy my first pair of running shoes. The store took a video of me walking at a quick pace on a treadmill so they could see how I walk. Then they measured my feet for size. Then they brought me some shoes to counteract the incorrect way I walk. Put me back quite a bit! I've never paid so much for tennies before. I sure hope they help my low back and foot pain!

I have registered for my first 5k! It is a color run in Portland, OR at the end of September. I am so excited! I am doing a C25K training to prepare. I don't expect to run the whole thing, but a few weeks ago when I started the c25k I couldn't even run for 30 seconds at a time and now I can do 90 seconds at a time for 6 times! Hopefully I will be much further along by the time the race comes up... I have never liked jogging and I would not have thought I would ever register for (let alone look forward to) a 5k run, but I am really looking forward to it! I finally got the fitness bug! I hope it sticks with me for life...
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Patrice, IPOU for starting c25k. I did it this spring & can not say enough good things about it. Do not be afraid to repeat weeks as you need to. The first couple of weeks are the hardest, your legs will sometime not like you, but it does get easier. You will be amazed at your progress.

I have done 2 5k's now & did the color run 2 weeks ago. Are you doing it with a friend? I honestly had more fun with the smaller 5k I did. The color run was expensive & put on by a for profit company that goes around the country putting them on. Only a very small % of your fee goes to the designated charity. In my case it was only $1 of my $50. fee. Yes I was pumped at finishing the 5K, but the profit margin they had put a bad taste in it for me. Color runs tend to be very large events. I was in a heat of 1,000 runners (total 7,000) for the day I did it. Because of the crowd it is difficult to run at times, but people do it for the fun, it is not a timed event. I hope I did not discourage you, it is a fun day. We had a 2 day event here & I live along the route. We had people with all sorts of costumes, in wheel chairs, & all ages. My 84 yo Mom had a wonderfull time cheering everyone on as they passed the house (it was like a parade).

Oh a bit more of advice. You know you get covered with color, remember this includes your running shoes. I was able to brush most of it off & since I only wear them running it does not bother me. Also a bandana around your neck is helpfull. I put it over my mouth as I went thru the color stations so I did not breath in the powder. It is all natural, but i just did not want to be breathing it in.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Morning Hatters!

Running a little late (yeah I know it's a theme with me on this shift lol.. ) but only two more "get ups" and then a week off so it's all good; went to bed early last night but just caught up on the posts; so much I want to say but will have to wait til tonite for long ones; for the moment tho:

HSH wow.. I read you post and when you shared about how hurtful it was that the weight loss garnered a comment about how proud someone was of you, it really struck a chord with me.... I think its something only those of us who have struggled with weight understands exactly your feelings; so I thank you for having the courage to say it because its so very true.. all the things as women we bring to everyone as mothers, daughters, wives, sisters, aunts, friends - the every day stuff that we try to bring to everyone is sometimes taken for granted, and when pride is offered for something like weight loss - its always been one of those "secret" deep down feelings.. nice to hear.. but....we're so much more... not really saying this how i want due to speed of typing but hope it makes enuf sense.. just think you're very brave for sharing that and its so nice to hear from other women who have the same experiences and feelings..

Patrice - huge IPOU!! that is AWESOME - we all have our pom poms so we'll be cheering you on every step of the way!! I'm so excited for you and you and Bis have inspired me to maybe down the road give one a shot! I finally googled C25k to see what everyone was talking about lol... sounds like agreat idea altho i've never been a runner (heck i've never been a walker either tho!)

Have to fly... but will be back this evening to catch up on replies and see how everyones doing.. remember laughing burns calories ladies.. so try to get a chuckle or two in during your day :bigsmile:
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Well spoken Hair.
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Patrice Where did you get your shoes? That sounds like something I would like to check into. Good luck on the 5K training & run.
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hi Cheryl, The place I went to is called Eugene Running Company in Eugene, Oregon. I've never had my gait on video to see what type of shoes I need before. I'm hoping it helps!

Thanks Biz for the info. I know it's not a serious run, but it is my first so I figured a fun run would be a good way to start! I am doing it with a friend. She's more of a runner, but she said she'd keep pace with me and have fun with this one. Good idea about the bandana. I'll be sure to wear one. Any maybe not wear my expensive new running shoes for this event! And I did repeat the first week and am going to extend the second week so I am comfortable with the time running.

Snoozie, I have never been a runner (or a walker for that matter) but with this fitness bug I caught I walk a minimum of 3 miles on most days of the week and the c25k has me starting to run (jog) and I'm even liking it. It's not easy, but I look forward to my training runs. Who'd a thunk? I really miss it when I don't get my exercise in daily. IPOM for that!

Have a great day all! And get that exercise in!