A1C 5.5

Options
mrslaw85
mrslaw85 Posts: 34 Member
When I got diagnosised 4 1/2 years ago I had an A1C of over 12. I got it down to 7/8. Fast forward to last year. In ApriI had surgery to remove an orange size growth and my right ovary. Thankful, it took care of the cancer cells. End of August my endo DR said to me, your blood sugar is raising again, I am going to have to consider insulin. I begged for time to work on me. The dr was not sure. I am not the most compliant patient. Well I joined a Bootcamp, began walking, got me a Fitbit and joined MFP. Well last monday it was down to 5.5. As a type 2 it can happen! It was not easy and this does not mean I am out of the clear but in 4 months I might be med free! Do not give up!

Replies

• Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Great job! It is easy to get off track, especially when you have other stuff going on. Glad you were able to get back on board and get your BG under control.
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    That's excellent!
  • barbarawalker34
    barbarawalker34 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been a pre-Diabetic for over a year, now in July my doc said my A1c is up, not sure what i'm doing wrong, I have uped my daily exercise to 4 days a week, I watch what I eat, but still so frustrating!
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It's nice to hear about such success stories. It helps give the rest of us inspiration to keep going.
  • ldg323
    ldg323 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! That is awesome!!!
  • Sharonks
    Options
    I have been a pre-Diabetic for over a year, now in July my doc said my A1c is up, not sure what i'm doing wrong, I have uped my daily exercise to 4 days a week, I watch what I eat, but still so frustrating!

Barbara, diabetes doesn't give awards for being compliant. You can be the most compliant person and still have it get worse. Heck, I usually run about 20 miles a week and they just upped my meds.

Have you seen a dietician? You should show her/him what you are eating and see if there are any changes you need to make. Other than that, it may just be time for meds or more meds. The goal is to stop the rot and if it takes meds then so be it. Sometimes weight loss will help you to reduce your med needs but not always. I'm 5 or 10 lbs overweight and there is no way I can be diet controlled. I never have been able to be diet controlled. Watching what I eat and exercising can help lower my BG a little but not enough.

If you haven't been to a diabetes class it might be helpful to attend. They will answer a lot of your questions and explain how to eat etc. As always, you can ask here too. There are lots of supportive people.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Excellent results. I am envious, but will be there, hopefully, by November.
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    I am now a member of the 5.5 club too!

I'm pleased to say that as of last week, I no longer take any meds for diabetes. My doctor took me off of them after my blood work came back, under 5.6 for a year. My lower a1c is primarily to levels of exercise and diet... and a couple of years of MFP!

(Another benefit of exercise - my good cholesterol was very high - 75)

Hopefully we can keep it up!
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Mauryr, that's really great news and I'm very pleased for you. Thanks for sharing news of your test results because every success story is a boost to those of us still striving to reach the same goal.
  • mrslaw85
    mrslaw85 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Barbara, for me I had to change the way I was eating even though I have been following my diet. I had to change the times of the day that I took in my protein.
  • kgalza50
    kgalza50 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Very Good Very Happy for you You are an inspiration to me cant wait till my appt next month for blood work to see how mine went down as long as I am losing weight as I have been my doc wont put me on meds..She will be happy with my success so far..Good Luck and best wishes.Kathy
  • Sharonks
    Options
    I am now a member of the 5.5 club too!

I'm pleased to say that as of last week, I no longer take any meds for diabetes. My doctor took me off of them after my blood work came back, under 5.6 for a year. My lower a1c is primarily to levels of exercise and diet... and a couple of years of MFP!

(Another benefit of exercise - my good cholesterol was very high - 75)

Hopefully we can keep it up!
    Woohoo Maury, great job!
  • texasfred
    texasfred Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great job Mrslaw85!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'm another in Club 5.5 :-) Despite drastically reduced carbs, my morning numbers were still above 100, so I asked to increase my metformin dosage to 1500/day. That, plus adding nighttime exercise and eliminating nightimte snacks, has meant readings between 80-94 in the mornings. I'd really like to be in the normal A1c range by my next check-up.
  • Sharonks
    Options
    I'm another in Club 5.5 :-) Despite drastically reduced carbs, my morning numbers were still above 100, so I asked to increase my metformin dosage to 1500/day. That, plus adding nighttime exercise and eliminating nightimte snacks, has meant readings between 80-94 in the mornings. I'd really like to be in the normal A1c range by my next check-up.
    Great job! The goal is to keep BG under control, drugs or not. 5.5 is fab.
  • wcucats77
    wcucats77 Posts: 180
    Options
    MrsLaw... GREAT STORY!!!! I had a reading of 6.5 back in August and my goal with next test in November is the number you tested.
    5.5. My numbers for the last 5 years have been 5.7-5.9. Again great story and congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Gbelk1
    Gbelk1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great job and motivation for all of us. Thanks for sharing.
  • emjohn69
    emjohn69 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Have you seen a dietician?

If you haven't been to a diabetes class it might be helpful to attend. They will answer a lot of your questions and explain how to eat etc. As always, you can ask here too. There are lots of supportive people.

Great job to all those that reduced their Hga1c numbers. I've also been able to reduce mine from 10.1 to 5.9 and credit most of it to using MFP.

I couldn't agree more with the above quote. Wish I had been to Diabetes Education class 20 years sooner. It was very informative and is a great place to get questions answers that you have and even to know what questions to ask.

My doctor said to me about 15 years ago..."what you do today will affect your quality of life 10, 15, 20 years from now"...IF ONLY I HAD LISTENED. Maybe I'd be able to feel my feet today. They are so numb from neuropathy that I can get an injection in my big toe and not even feel it. So far foot problems are my only visible complication, but it's a biggie.

Mrs. Law...you're on the right track. Keep up the great work...it'll pay off!
  • Aussielooser
    Aussielooser Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Congrats! :flowerforyou:
  • Jacquis59
    Options
    You are an inspiration! My goal is to get to a 5 or under, AND to get off insulin!