Stronglifts 5x5 Summary

Options

Replies

• rsbremiller
    Options
    Tameko2 - awesome summary!
    irridia - that is some great trouble shooting (4/17 post), thanks!

I just finished week 2 today, and have to share with those of you who haven't started yet (and don't know 1st hand) the thrill of this! This workout is FUN. You feel strong, you feel capable.

One thing to remember - you CANNOT lift like this on back to back days and expect your body to be happy about it. on opposing days I do Zombiefit workouts (bodyweight/agility/plyometric) with a run or walk and 1 day a week I take off.

Just today. I came across a slightly modified worksheet : www.craftkammer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/stronglifts-5x5.xls that suggests adding cardio immediately after your strength session - starting with 15 minutes and adding a minute each session until you reach 45 minutes. This should aid in fat burning (check out the goals tab on this spreadsheat.) It's also in both kg & lb AND adds some additional body weight movements to round out your workout. I'm going to add them (and the cardio) in and see how it works out.

Good luck to all my fellow strong women!
  • foranagirl
    foranagirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Febes24
    Febes24 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • peachea
    peachea Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi I just joined the group because I'm interested in strength training, which I've already begun. I started with the 45 lb bar but it felt light to me. Is it okay to try out other weights (higher) and start with one that feels like it's working?

I am a very strong person with a lot of body fat, 44% which may be why I have strength, so I'm not sure how lifting a light bar would help?

Clearly not an expect so maybe you know something I dont. Help?

Hoping this wasnt already discussed. I only got through the first page, sorry. Appreciate anything you can offer.
  • kimberlypayne
    kimberlypayne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this information and condensing it into somthing understandable. I got a quarter of the way through the pdf and gave up. I am just starting out with heavy weights and am so excited to try out this program.
  • peachea
    Options
    Tameko2 - awesome summary!
    irridia - that is some great trouble shooting (4/17 post), thanks!

I just finished week 2 today, and have to share with those of you who haven't started yet (and don't know 1st hand) the thrill of this! This workout is FUN. You feel strong, you feel capable.

One thing to remember - you CANNOT lift like this on back to back days and expect your body to be happy about it. on opposing days I do Zombiefit workouts (bodyweight/agility/plyometric) with a run or walk and 1 day a week I take off.

Just today. I came across a slightly modified worksheet : www.craftkammer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/stronglifts-5x5.xls that suggests adding cardio immediately after your strength session - starting with 15 minutes and adding a minute each session until you reach 45 minutes. This should aid in fat burning (check out the goals tab on this spreadsheat.) It's also in both kg & lb AND adds some additional body weight movements to round out your workout. I'm going to add them (and the cardio) in and see how it works out.

Good luck to all my fellow strong women!

Hi I found that also. Thought I'd follow it. So on the days you don't lift, you are still working out?
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I start tomorrow. Just wondering which android app is better for this- jefit or strength lite? He stilll does not appear to have a dedicated app.

My homemade power rack is not quite ready, just awaiting safety bars, but i will be ok for starting weights. Will be nice to drop my weights a little from my New Rules numbers.

Thanks for the handy summary here!
  • siriusalien
    Options
    Hey, thanks for this. Downloaded app and starting today...
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    Hi all! I start tomorrow. Just wondering which android app is better for this- jefit or strength lite? He stilll does not appear to have a dedicated app.

Hmmm.. disregard. Not only IS there an android app, but i already have it on my phone!

So I made a start. Fun!
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    @peachea: On days that I lift, (2x/week) I do a little cardio. On off days I run. this is what works for me, but alot of people dont do that. I find that FOR ME, running is the best non-lifting cardio for me, so I run 4-5 days per week, and lift 2xper week and take 1 day off. Hope this helps!
  • prietys
    prietys Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump to save.

thnx.
  • prietys
    prietys Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    could someone please post the name of the android app.

thnx
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    in the android market, look up stronglifts. That is where I found it. It is literally called stronglifts.
  • nicmar9697
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input and experiences as it helps me too! I started this program almost month ago, and even had to modify while on vacation because the hotel fitness center only had dumbells that topped out at 25 lbs. My personal weight hasn't really changed, but the way clothes fit has. I have had to really start watching my protein intake because I started to feel sluggish in my muscles and really tired alot. Attention to protein is key as well as adding calories during lift days! This is where MFP can be so amazing! I have been watching the 2012 Reebok Crossfit games and know that this workout is an awesome start to achieving some really cool stuff! BTW, I'm 42 and hope that anybody can make a change and do better for their body!
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    in the android market, look up stronglifts. That is where I found it. It is literally called stronglifts.

I've since discovered it depends on your country settings. I'm currently set to UK, and it doesn't appear. Not sure how i have it, maybe i managed to convince mine i was in USA before!
  • peachea
    Options
    @peachea: On days that I lift, (2x/week) I do a little cardio. On off days I run. this is what works for me, but alot of people dont do that. I find that FOR ME, running is the best non-lifting cardio for me, so I run 4-5 days per week, and lift 2xper week and take 1 day off. Hope this helps!

thank you yes, very helpful!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to take the mystique out of something which should at its heart be simple and effective :flowerforyou:
  • CarlyEHey
    Options
    bump. Thanks!
  • a_new_dawn
    a_new_dawn Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!