Goodbye Intervals - Starting week 7 mid August?

Options
This week starts week 7 for me. No more intervals....who's with me?

I'm looking forward to the change - and to just trying to push a little farther each week. How about you? Nervous? Excited? Let me know how it goes for you.

KP

Replies

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 8. It is hard for me to not feel like giving up mid run. Around 15 minutes in I am thinking, ONLY 15 MINUTES? But I am doing it. Pushing myself.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Couldn't fit Day 1 of Week 7 into y schedule yesterday so I went out at 6:00am this morning and knocked it out.

I started using Nike+ so I could get an idea of my pace. I ran 2 complete miles without stopping even though my C25K app had already said I was done. Took me just a little over 28 minutes to go the 2 miles, and then I walked another mile to make sure I could do a complete 3K. All done, I was 54 minutes and 514 calories according to my Polar FT4 heart rate monitor.

I'm disappointed at running 14 minute mile, but considering 6 weeks ago I could barely go a minute or two its really remarkable when you look back at your progress! That gives me encouragement to think I can run the entire 3 miles and maybe get my pace down to 11 - 12 minutes?

I'll find out on Sept 8!
  • pauladick
    pauladick Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    hi there x just starting from the beginig again tomorrow x previously got to 20mins straighr sooo dissapointed with myself x:tongue:
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    hi there x just starting from the beginig again tomorrow x previously got to 20mins straighr sooo dissapointed with myself x:tongue:
    Hi Paula. Take pride in the fact that you are dusting off and getting back at it - a lot of people don't. You can do it!
  • kimpossible471
    Options
    So, I did my week 7 day one today. I did walk a couple of under 30 second stretches to get my breathing controlled - but tacked a few extra minutes to the end. Then walked with short jog intervals the rest of a 5k. Came in at 42:10 - which is a couple minutes faster than last week. Overall it felt pretty good - I got some arch support inserts for my running shoes - which seem to have alleviated the shin splints I've been having.

Keep me posted on how the rest of the week goes for everyone!
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm due to do week 7 day 1 today or tomorrow.i think I'm ready just nervous. I need advice on how to get faster though?
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Duplicate post sorry.
  • kimpossible471
    Options
    I'm due to do week 7 day 1 today or tomorrow.i think I'm ready just nervous. I need advice on how to get faster though?
    I'm no expert - am new to running. My plan was to take day 1 of each week slow enough to get through, and try to up the speed with days 2 and 3. I'm really still focusing on getting the prescribed time done, adding enough walking to get the full 5k distance in - and figure that speed will come with time.

I was also thinking of starting the program over when done - but instead of walk/jog intervals, doing them as jog/run to start working on increasing the pace.
  • cobracars
    Options
    As if my legs weren't tired enough from this morning (W7D1)....I was thinking dinner had too many calories so I should go for a little bike ride.

1 hour 16 minutes, 630 calories, and 9.7 miles later my legs officially feel like Jello :happy:
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I was also thinking of starting the program over when done - but instead of walk/jog intervals, doing them as jog/run to start working on increasing the pace.

I used the run/jog method once a while back when I was training myself for a 2 mile run (never running distance before in my life.)
    I started with run/walk intervals until I could run the 2 miles then transitioned to run/jog to improve my speed. That was one summer a while back then quit until this spring.

I recently found a set of tempo podcasts made by NHS (availble on iTunes: NHS c25k+) that help work on speed. The beat to the music is 150-160 bpm. The intent is to make this many steps per minute for your entire run. The female british announcer periodically calls out "1 2 3 4" at the music tempo so you can maintain the tempo through out your run (if you can't hear the beat.)

I have run with this (Stepping Stone) podcast twice now and my speed was near the top of my speeds both times. (I keep a record of all my runs and the speeds.) Just repeating "1 2 3 4" at a faster pace than my legs are carring me in a run helps maintain/regulate my speed in any run (without the podcast). Otherwise towards the end of the run, I get progressively slower.

At c25k W7, I started using my own music and a watch to run the workout. I wanted different music. The NHS c25k+ tempo workouts would have been another good possiblity to continue increasing time as well as maintaining a tempo.
  • pauladick
    pauladick Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    thave just thanks kim x well i have just finished day 1 week 1 and it felt great x think i could have started maybe back at week 5 but dont want to give myself an injury x:wink:
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I finished w8d3 yesterday! The first couple days of week 7 were a bit of a challenge, but I did it, and now I can run 2-3 miles consistently without much of an issue. My breathing is finally starting to even out when I run (provided I don't start out too quickly) and I've improved my mile time from 12min to 9:36, and if I'm running 3 miles my pace is closer to 11 min.

I loved this program!! My first 5k is this Saturday and I'm stoked!
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

I'm no expert, but I found that on my "off" days, if I did hill sprints or strength training with the focus on my legs and core that it helped my time. I was pretty consistently running at a 12min mile pace for a month or two until I started incorporated sprints and strength training, and now I can do 1 mile in 9:36 and 3 miles in 32:46 (those are my best times so far). I have my first 5k on Saturday, and I'm pretty competitive so I'm hoping I can do 5k in 32 minutes! That's my goal anyway.
  • kimpossible471
    Options
    As if my legs weren't tired enough from this morning (W7D1)....I was thinking dinner had too many calories so I should go for a little bike ride.

1 hour 16 minutes, 630 calories, and 9.7 miles later my legs officially feel like Jello :happy:
    Nice work, Cobra!
  • kimpossible471
    Options
    Great suggestions, Jsidel....

Kaji - can't wait to hear how that first 5k goes. Mine is a month away.
  • starlite_79
    starlite_79 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i just completed w6d2 today, so week 7 is just around the corner for me. crossing my fingers that i might be able to run my first 5k on september 8th.
  • cobracars
    Options
    Week 7 Day 2

Yesterday I sent in the registration form for the Harvest Hustle 5K run in Plainfield, IN. Its done by a local church to raise funds for the town's food pantry.
    I have seven more days of training over the next 2 1/2 weeks to get ready. I'll finish the C25K on Wednesday Sept 5 then take 2 days off and run the 5K on Saturday Sept 8.

I've never been a runner so this is all new to me, and I guess pretty soon I'll have to change my thinking and say "I'm a runner". Today might be a good day to start that....I RAN 3 MILES STRAIGHT, NO STOPPING, NO WALKING...in 40.5 minutes. I finally feel like I can do this! Now that I pushed myself to at least see if I could run that far, that fast without stopping, I can concentrate on a better time. I really wanted to be under 40 minutes on race day and it looks like I can make that. My son-in-law told me last year he did it in 30 minutes..I don't think I have a chance of hitting that, but at least I can be proud of what I've one so far.

Just to refresh, I'm 52 and a few months ago I was 260 pounds at 5'11". Today I'm down to 228...still obese and old, but there IS hope for us fat old men yet!
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Way to go Cobra! Good luck on your 5K Sat!
  • cobracars
    Options
    Finished Week 7 Day 3

I didn't follow the program, instead I ran 3.1 miles in 39 minutes.
    Also did the 5 minute warm-up and cool-down

6 more training days until my 5K race on Sept 8
  • kimpossible471
    Options
    Finished Week 7 Day 3

I didn't follow the program, instead I ran 3.1 miles in 39 minutes.
    Also did the 5 minute warm-up and cool-down

6 more training days until my 5K race on Sept 8

Sounds like you have graduated!! Way to go, Cobra. Can you believe a few short weeks ago, we were dreading the 20 min?