Stage 5 Questions

Options

Replies

• jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I finished Stage 5 last Friday, but forgot my log sheet at home and not sure if I can remember where I started/ended on everything. I just know I wasn't able to go up much, only about 5 lbs on each exercise.

On to Stage 6 today.
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Good luck, Jennie! Maybe I'll see you there...

Finally managed to drag myself to the gym for my S5 A3 workout today. Only good thing about it is that there's only one more BWM left! Actually, that's not really true. I did go up on the rows, split-arm squats (or whatever they're called), bench presses, and wood chop. I really don't think I'll ever be able to go beyond 30 lb dumbbells for the Cuban snatch--my left arm just can't handle any more than that. After 1 rep I'm in danger of braining myself with the weight. Oh well...

I'm getting pretty fast on the BWM. Hate that sucker though!

I'm going to try my bestest to get three workouts in this week and finish S5 next Monday.
  • austelle
    austelle Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hey, thought I'd pop in to say hello! I just did stage 5 workout A and want to keep tabs on what others are saying about Stage 5.

Oh, and everyone deserves a high five for making it this far!
  • dandelion39
    Options
    WO B3 down...just two more to go. I'm feeling pretty good at this point! But nervous about S6...
  • jenniet04
    Options
    I've got two S6 workouts under my belt and they were great. Honestly the negative chin ups give me the most apprehension, but they weren't that bad. Now that I know I can do them, I just have to work on getting up to 20 seconds on the let down.
  • Febgirl
    Febgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just remembered how much I hate the YLWT exercise - did B1 yesterday and ouch!

Funnily enough I really enjoy the body weight matrix!
  • dandelion39
    Options
    Jennie, Did you just count in your head doing the negative chin-ups?

Febgirl, I hate that YWTL too. And I hate the BWM, lol. Happy that I just finished my last one today!!

One more S5 workout on Monday, then taking the rest of the week off and will start S6 after Labor Day.
  • jenniet04
    Options
    The first workout, I didn't time them at all because I was just so happy that I could actually do it! My next workout, I'll probably just count in my head. I don't have a stop watch except for on my phone and that's just too much work.
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Only two more workouts left and on to stage 6! I'm excited to get to something new and I have to say pretty challenging looking. My desire to finish this program has really been wavering lately so i'm hoping the change will help push me through to the end!
  • Febgirl
    Febgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I can't wait for stage 6 either Ellie, something new!
  • dandelion39
    Options
    Finished!! Spectacularly sucktastic final Stage 5 workout today. I'd planned to up all my weights but instead could barely lift the ones I lifted last time. Weird. Cut down to 3 sets on everything and skipped the YTWL! And tweaked my shoulder. Sigh. I'm hoping it's just some PMS weirdness or maybe the result of eating crap at the Dutchess County Fair yesterday (pierogies and milkshakes do not muscle-food make, I guess!!). Anyway, I'm taking a rest week from lifting until next Monday when I'll start stage 6.... See you there!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I just finished stage 4 (lifting yesterday, intervals today), but since I'm walking a marathon on Sept. 9, I'm taking less than a full rest week between stages, and I'm planning to start stage 5 on Friday.

I am so NOT looking forward to the return of the BWM, although I do hope to make improvement on it. My fastest in stage 3 was still over 5 minutes. :o
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    thanks dandelion.
    JNH the negatives aren't that bad. You just get up and slowly let yourself down, trying to stay as still as possible. Most people are impressed that your even on the apparatus. I love being stronger. Comes in handy when I have to pick up the kids, carry groceries, or move furniture.

It's getting in the up position that worries me. The grips in my gym are WAY high in the air (in between the cables)!

My gym is the same, but the cable/pull-up stations are over to one side. If my lat pulls aren't anywhere near my body weight by the end of stage 5 though (which I'm guessing they won't be - I'm @ 105 lb. now on them, but I weigh over 180), I may just do the negatives on the assisted pull-up station instead, but with as little assistance as possible.
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Hello All, I'm done with Stage 4, taking a bit of time off before starting Stage 5 though, I'll probably start it either the back end of this week or beginning of next. I usually workout at home but did stage 3 in a gym, liked it a lot more than 2/4. Debating whether to join a gym now or carry on with it at home.
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    Workout A1 is in the books. LOVED IT!!! Even the 1-arm overhead squats. I stayed with the same weights I used in stage 3 for them, but I thought my form was a lot better (I think b/c I tried keeping my feet a little further apart & pointed outward more than for a regular squat). Loved the snatches, 1-leg DL's, barbell rows, bench presses, too. I don't think I'll ever love planks, but I didn't completely hate them today, so that was progress. And I'm just "meh" about reverse woodchops. I like waist-height ones better. Or swiss ball side-crunches.

It's all a blurry memory by the time I do the BWM's though. At which point I'm still gasping for air and wondering if I could actually die before I'm done (only half-joking!). But my times were a lot better than stage 3 though. In stage 3, my slowest was 9 minutes, and my fastest was 5:30. Today, they were 5:37, and 4:50! I could hardly believe it! And my legs only felt like Jell-O for a few minutes afterwards (not hours like when I started stage 3). So *something* is working, I guess.

Am I the only one here in stage 5 now?
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Just finished Stage 4 today. Looking forward to stage 5, but taking a short rest first. I'll be starting next Monday. I did take a quick look at it though...4 reps?! Wow! How did you decide where to start? And how long do the stage 5 workouts take? As long as Stage 4?
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    Lori - congrats on finishing stage 4! I started with where I ended stage 2 (or stage 3 if the move was there too), and went up if I could. I think with only 4 reps, I went up on most things, but not everything. For me, the stage 5 workouts take just as long as stage 4, mainly b/c the rests are 2 minutes now. So I'm making an effort to push myself with heavier weights, so that I'll *need* that rest.

I did workout B1 yesterday, and here's what I did (compared to where I ended stage 2):

RDL/bent-over row: 90 --> 90 (I'll try 95 for B2)
    1-leg partial squat: 25 --> 30 (I'll try 35 or 40 for B2)
    WG lat pull-down: 100 --> 105
    back extension: 5 lb. OH --> 7.5 lb. OH
    YTWL: 20 --> 25 lb. total (and I wasn't thrilled with my form @ 25 lb.)
    SB crunch: 10 or 12.5 OH --> 15 lb. OH
    Jackknife: Standard shins on ball --> just ankles on ball to start.
    Lateral: Stayed with SB side crunch. LOVE these!
    Cobra: 120 --> 120 (wider arms, and these are definitely feeling easier).

and then my HIIT today, where I increased by 0.1 mph on all my intervals, so today I did 6.4, 6.9, 7.3, 7.4, and 7.5. =)

Here's my question on partial squats. I tried some with my free leg behind me, and others with my free leg in front. I think I like it better with my free leg behind me, but do you think it makes much difference? I could also try these on the step-up platform & let my free leg dangle by the side, but I don't know which variation is "best"?
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Starting Stage 5 today. I was going to take a break first, but I'm feeling good and ready to get on with it. I'll be traveling in a couple of weeks, so I'll have about a week off then.

Looking forward to changing it up, though I'm not looking forward to the evil BWM. :noway: I'm also looking for new ab exercises. I'm ready to change it up and find something a bit more challenging. Any suggestions?
  • heatheralia
    heatheralia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Karen - I started stage 5 on Tuesday. I will do the first B workout tonight. I like doing the partial squats from a high step. I use a chest (doing this at home) that is about two feet high. My free leg hangs pretty much straight down the side of the chest.

Lori - I plan on moving on to the NROL4abs book next. My abs are my problem spot and I hope that will help fix that problem! :smile:
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Started S5 last night...
    I was able to increase weights on most exercises. The BWM was a killer --- 2:05 then 1:53.... definitely pushed myself too hard on the 2nd one. I felt extremely fatigued after that.... had a hard time sleeping... oh... and my shoulder is letting me know that it didn't appreciate the extra push.

Stretch & Tone tonight.... rest on Wednesday (hopefully a massage).... then on to B1 on Thu.

Where is everyone????