I want bigger arms???

Options

Replies

• ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Okay so how much over would you suggest I eat? I'm about 500kcal a day at the minute and when I have increased it more than that then I just seem to get fat fast.

And its only one area that I'm not happy with my current progress.

Don't worry what you are looking and work with what you can. Looking at bigger arms before healthy eating is the first mistake most people make. So nutrition first, then stimulating the muscle second. A body is built in the kitchen friend.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I've been aiming for 1lb per week or 4lbs per month while gaining. Yes, you add some fat.

Fat loss is about a million times easier than muscle gain so think long term :smile:

Also, here's my N=1 anecdotal evidence. Smolov squats 4x a week for 3 weeks. Dropped the heavy upper body stuff basically.
    3 weeks later at about 2kg heavier I upped nuetral grip chins from 9,8,8 to 10,10,9. No idea on growth but 3 weeks is not going to make you're arms explode no matter how much you eat!

You never really explained what you are doing on you're upper body days either?

How have you varied rep/set schemes in the past? People respond differently. Some like low volume/frequency while others are the opposite. Mix it up and see what works best for you.
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Are you in the squat cage while curling?

:laugh:
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options
    Still unhappy with arms :( Guess its because I'm naturally skinny. Wish there was a miracle grow I could pump into my arms lol.

Well awesome genetics help for arms lol. Not everything is about arms really man. Just keep working your body and fueling it properly. Reach your genetic potential. Symmetry makes a great body and not arms. A nice back, nice legs, nice shoulders etc.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

safety first
  • roduk
    roduk Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    you seem to suggest that you arent overtraining your arms so maybe you arent giving them what they need. drop the weight and go really slow , so id 2 secs up 4 secs down. try angle prone db curls to isolate the bicep and stop any swing which will use other muscles to aid the movement. lie frontward on a 45% angle bench and again use a really slow tempo.
  • Absref71
    Absref71 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Woah, dude if the rest of your body is progressing well then its not your eating.

I've always had the easiest time building biceps (could be genetics) but these moves seem to put size on my biceps fast:

Chin ups (best of the lot): with them being weight based I aim for 10-12, when I can hit 12 i put a little weight between my legs and go for it. On 20kgs at the moment.
    Another variation for chin ups that works well is to go up for 1 second, squeeze your muscles at the top and then lower for 2-3 seconds. I hell of a pump.

Dropset curls: I have no idea if the science behind these works but it might be a nice change up for your muscles. For one set I will start at 16kgs and do as many as I can, then immediately without break drop down to 14 and get as many out, then 12 and so on until I get to 2 kgs and can only get 4-5 reps out of them by then
  • LiftYoung99
    Options
    I say focus more on quality reps (slow negatives,maybe a pause,ect) I recommend reverse curls, barbell curls, tricep pushdowns, close grip bench, skullcrushers. Shoot for 3-5 sets of 8-10 reps.
  • LiftYoung99
    Options
    I hate when people squat in the curl rack...
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options
    I say focus more on quality reps (slow negatives,maybe a pause,ect) I recommend reverse curls, barbell curls, tricep pushdowns, close grip bench, skullcrushers. Shoot for 3-5 sets of 8-10 reps.

Amen, I use a lot of supersets with heavy weight. Then I use lighter weight.
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options

Classic! :laugh:
  • AlmondTheGreat
    Options
    Yeah I change my workout every 6 weeks and change my rep range also. I'm on 8-12 again now but was on 6-8 before. I have noticed some gains since I added an extra arm workout in, so I'm doing a 4 day split instead of a 3 atm.

I'm back doing chinups and pullups and think they're helping a lot. I still never seem to get the muscle ache in my biceps the next day like I do after working other muscle :(
  • AlmondTheGreat
    Options
    No I only squat and deadlift in the squat cage lol
  • AlmondTheGreat
    Options
    Yeah I'm only focused on my arms because its the place I have had the least gains.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

Classic! :laugh:

have you tried preacher curls in the squat rack?
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb if the guy curls more than you squat, leave him alone if hes hogging the squat rack. Sorry, I had to. But if his arms are bigger than his legs tell him hes using the squat rack the wrong way.
  • AlmondTheGreat
    Options
    Lol. I don't get the obsession with the squat rack. I only squat and dead lift in it. I've never seen people curling or anything else and I'm not sure how they would?
    Oh and I've tried every exercise in the book. Am seeing some gains now as I added an extra session in. Still not what I'd like but I guess doing it naturally is a slow process.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    It is a slow process, its not a major muscle. It takes years to build big arms, I wouldn't focus on it too much it will come naturally with lifting. It took me 12 years to get to 20.5 arms and it took working tri's and bi's at every angle. The message here is don't neglect one body part just because you want big arms, example working on upper body so much you neglect lower. ZeroWoIf had a good pic one time of a dude with stick legs and a huge upper body. Friends don't let friends neglect leg day,lol. After a 12 year layoff from lifting I'm taking it slow and am satisfied with my progress. I work arms once a week, over training will cause more cutting and will not make size gains. Bulking in the winter to be able to do heavier and low reps builds size. Do you flex when you lift or do you just go through the motions? If you flex with lighter weight and get the pump that will help too. JMHO
  • AlmondTheGreat
    Options
    Yeah its good to hear that it takes time from other people.

I guess a lot of my issue is I'm surrounded by steroid junkies at my gym and see people making crazy gains fast.
    I never neglect any other part of my body but good advice to anyone else. I train every part of my body hard especially my legs :)

I do hold at the end of every range of motion and flex, you definitely feel it more.
    I only work arms once a week but I do a little triceps with chest and biceps with back as these muscles are included in the push pull motions anyway.

Thanks for your input. Its always interesting to hear other peoples views and experiences etc :)
  • autosync
    autosync Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been training intense for the last 3 years and am looking to compete in the next couple of years depending on how my development goes.

Every bodybuilder uses the same exercises over and over why???? Because it works! It's ok to hit the muscle twice a week if your body allows this but otherwise, take some time out of the gym to grow! You grow when resting not when lifting!

As for bulking and food, you don't have to gain allot of fat if your diet and training are in place properly. For example when bulking i still do cardio, when i crank down i still do cardio but for a slightly longer period.

Here's my training:

Monday - Chest & Biceps (I find my biceps are stimulated better!)
    Tuesday - Leg's & Ab's
    Wednesday - Rest, but still do my low intensity cardio!
    Thursday - Back
    Friday - Shoulders & Triceps & Ab's

Here you can see, I'm indirectly hitting my arms twice a week! But with a good rest period in between.

Train smart eat well and you're get results.

Good Luck bro!