Why the rapid weight loss on Low Carb ( Induction ) stops

Options

Replies

• cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    YAY! oh thank you for posting this. i was thinking i was an anomally by not just shedding the weight off in the 4 weeks i've been low carb. :) great post!!!
  • girlienerd
    girlienerd Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post. I was feeling really discouraged today, I've gained a pound and a half in the last couple of days and I've been really good. I know I need to stay on plan and will do that.

One thing I have to ask is I have used the Ketosticks several times and have never gone past trace in the level. Do some people just never register larger amounts of ketones and still remain in ketosis?
  • likeswhiskey
    Options
    Thanks for putting this together. It's very informative and clears a few things up for me.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have been in Ketosis for 120 days now the first 3 months I lost on average 7lbs a month. For the last 1-1.5 months I have noticed this new trend where I bob up and down with my weight and really havent lost anything. However the scale says ive lost nothing (or gained) but I have lost 7 inches?! THIS confuses me lol! I have even taken pictures and you can SEE a difference but I weight the same exact number I did in the last pic?! Really if anyone can explain the whys of this it be helpful :)! Im not giving up or tossing in the towel im just really confused is all.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great post.

You are definitely "preaching to the choir" with me on this topic, but it makes my day to see like-minded, logical posts such as yours. Your delivery is stellar. I generally don't have the patience to explain things to others who are not so like-minded (the "fat is bad/meat is bad" crowd), even though I've done the thousands of hours of research, have personal experience on almost every kind of eating plan, and live in a community where I am witnessing first-hand what happens to people who are switching from an animal-based diet to a grain/sugar-based diet.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I'm glad I decided to not chuck the way of eating when the loss slowed!! Must say, I feel smaller, not bloated anymore...so even if it's a slower loss it's worth it for me. My cravings have passed...with the help of the Atkins 2 net carb bars from Winco and Albertson's. Thanks for the explanation!

atkins bars aren't really good though. you shouldn't be eating 'frankenfoods'.. and definitely not til closer to your goal weight.
    yea, they're marketed as low carb and have 'atkins' on them, but they're not 'good' for you

Agree ^

I even talked to the company about their use of artificial sweeteners. They tried to lecture me (like I was a moron) on how "safe" artificial sweetners are. Whatever.

Thank goodness for Dr. Atkins (RIP), even though I don't follow his plan or agree with everything, at least he opened my mind to a better way.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post. I was feeling really discouraged today, I've gained a pound and a half in the last couple of days and I've been really good. I know I need to stay on plan and will do that.

One thing I have to ask is I have used the Ketosticks several times and have never gone past trace in the level. Do some people just never register larger amounts of ketones and still remain in ketosis?

You may have your carb intake too high for your body to be effectively burning fat. I'm not trying to be in Ketosis (but I do like it) but I'm at moderate almost every day. I generally get 15-25g of carbs every day, after fibre is deducted. I eat this low not for ketosis but to keep from craving my addiction foods and binging. Also, I feel great, have lots of energy, health problems have vanished, and bonus, I'm losing weight.
  • aprueitt
    aprueitt Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I have been in Ketosis for 120 days now the first 3 months I lost on average 7lbs a month. For the last 1-1.5 months I have noticed this new trend where I bob up and down with my weight and really havent lost anything. However the scale says ive lost nothing (or gained) but I have lost 7 inches?! THIS confuses me lol! I have even taken pictures and you can SEE a difference but I weight the same exact number I did in the last pic?! Really if anyone can explain the whys of this it be helpful :)! Im not giving up or tossing in the towel im just really confused is all.

My weight is all over the place, I ignore it and go on 'gut feel' (literally ;)).

It's just a change in body composition, if energy is good and clothes are fitting better with less wobble then walk on :)

As I've said previously, I'll only weigh myself once more during this process, when I am happy with my shape.

Overall weight is a terrible way of judging fitness, BMI even more so if you are relatively muscular.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I decided to not chuck the way of eating when the loss slowed!! Must say, I feel smaller, not bloated anymore...so even if it's a slower loss it's worth it for me. My cravings have passed...with the help of the Atkins 2 net carb bars from Winco and Albertson's. Thanks for the explanation!

atkins bars aren't really good though. you shouldn't be eating 'frankenfoods'.. and definitely not til closer to your goal weight.
    yea, they're marketed as low carb and have 'atkins' on them, but they're not 'good' for you

Agree ^

I even talked to the company about their use of artificial sweeteners. They tried to lecture me (like I was a moron) on how "safe" artificial sweetners are. Whatever.

Thank goodness for Dr. Atkins (RIP), even though I don't follow his plan or agree with everything, at least he opened my mind to a better way.

There are articles in existence that even Dr Robert Atkins himself, did not like the shakes or bars!!!!!!
  • KCasey200
    KCasey200 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This really explained alot to me...thanks so much for the post!
  • Math_Geek
    Math_Geek Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this thread from one year ago, it helped me back then and I need a reminder today as I enter week 5 that the honeymoon phase of induction is over and weight loss will slow down. This isn't a bad thing, stay the course, focus ahead.

Two people from this group I miss the most, LowCarbNY and deadvim.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options

So I craving something chocolatety, is it better to have real dark chocolate... I know the bars may not be the best for you but it does help with that craving...
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    So glad I saw this post; yes it's old, but it is timely that I came across it to answer some much needed questions.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options

If you register, you're in and that's all that matters. The darker the ketones doesn't mean you're extra in ketosis. The goal should be to make it as faint as possible due to ginormous water intake. If you're peeing purple, help your kidneys out and drink some water :)

This has nothing to do with water. I am perfectly hydrated but yet have the darkest purple strips. It can vary day to day depending on how many ketones are present in the urine. Kidney has nothing to do with ketones. Test your ketone levels with a blood strip for accurate reading.
  • sunseeker100
    sunseeker100 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I stumbled across this today and it's helped so much! I've been on Atkins <20g per day since the start of Jan 14 and intend to stay this low until about 15lb away from goal, so my losses have started to hover around 1 or less per week but now I'm not going to keep trying to analyse every small difference and just carry on! I love this way of eating :)
  • kendallvon
    kendallvon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Fantastic explanation! :huh: Wish more health care professionals knew this, but as I understand it, med schools offer 1 semester of nutrition courses. I took 1 semester as a nurse. Small wonder.
    Thanks! :bigsmile:
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    bump because this needs to be reread again and again! or pinned? thanks :)
  • Czechster
    Czechster Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bump - so I can read this whenever I'm feeling frustrated!