Painful Conversation

Options

Replies

• DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    How's this for an idea? For both men and women. Avoid career talk until the end of the first date. I find it very possible to do. Since a woman's career is not an important factor to me, I'll usually spend less than 30 seconds discussing it in the pre-date and first date phase. I also try not to talk about anything related to my work for more than 30-60 seconds. The only way I talk about it is if someone directly asks about my line of work, which will happen if you have a long enough conversation.
  • The_Iron
    The_Iron Posts: 288
    Options
    So what rank ARE YOU?

Quit skirting around the question, Janie!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    So what rank ARE YOU?

She obviously doesn't want to answer so I suggest everyone just drop it.

Geez, I thought I was obtuse about hints and subtlety. Y'all are nosy.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I'd probably spend an inappropriate amount of time discussing her curriculum, perhaps having her explain the physics behind nuclear propulsion for submarines (assuming she's Navy), etc. That's a cool date, right there.

Actually, in my experience it hasn't been a cool date. Which is why I try to avoid the topic altogether. It just never ends well. The rare guy who actually WANTS to talk about physics/nuke stuff often thinks they know something, tries to impress me, and is usually wrong. And I usually go out with strong personalities, so then I have to figure out if it's worth letting him keep talking and be wrong (for sake of his ego) or correcting him (which is hard to do b/c he's gonna come at it every which way to prove he's right til I give up).

Maybe it's because I'm not as techie as people think when they hear about it...? So either they misjudge me or run, or they're looking for an engineering girl (rare) and I am not her.

Once I went out with someone who WAS a physicist and I was soooooo embarrassed b/c he was talking about stuff I'd forgotten (and really don't care about) long ago. I told him so. Turned out, he thought I was still "in the academic mix" so he was trying to impress me. He, like me, had been doing management for so long that he really wasn't current with research either. We had a fabulous time running the beach, talking about dogs and life normal stuff, then a fun dinner with no engineering or physics talk.

I don't think that's what he was talking about. I think he was talking about comparing information, not lecturing you. It's curiosity and not one-upping. If a guy is saying "I thought this was true, is it?" and you said "Oh no, it's blah-de-blah" and he goes "Oh wow that's so interesting, I'm going to look that up!" you've got a catch! If you get a guy who responds with "NU-UH YOU'RE WRONG" then you're dating someone that isn't worth your time.

As far as not talking about career... I would be really put off if a guy asked me what I'm working toward and I say "Exotic animal trainer" and then they nod and move on... Yeah, most likely I'm not going on another date with that guy. Hell, I'm not a nuclear engineer and I've also encountered the know-it-all people that think they know everything about animal behavior and try to correct me. Those people suck. There's also been a lot of people that are interested and ask questions and sometimes even leads to us both looking up more things. I like that a lot. Of course, I'm an eternal nerd so...
  • The_Iron
    The_Iron Posts: 288
    Options
    So what rank ARE YOU?

She obviously doesn't want to answer so I suggest everyone just drop it.

Geez, I thought I was obtuse about hints and subtlety. Y'all are nosy.

Aaaaaaaaaaand dennnnnnnn?
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go hide under my desk with my high school diploma :)

Make room for me sweetpea, . I only have an associates.

Same...

Good for you... Seriously.
    You're very established, and have accomplished a lot. One day, a guy isn't going to be intimidated and will admire all of that. It's incredible!

I need room as well.......wait I'm still pretty big. I should just go get another desk to hide under. :laugh:

Hiding under my own desk with my BA :brokenheart:
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go hide under my desk with my high school diploma :)

Make room for me sweetpea, . I only have an associates.

Same...

Good for you... Seriously.
    You're very established, and have accomplished a lot. One day, a guy isn't going to be intimidated and will admire all of that. It's incredible!

I need room as well.......wait I'm still pretty big. I should just go get another desk to hide under. :laugh:

Heck no - we will all fit!!!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Women with Master's Level degrees and jobs that are typically correlated with a Master's Degree see their dating pool shrink. Women prefer to date equal or upwards in education and salary. A typical guy with a Bachelor's of a similar age to a woman with a Master's isn't going to be interested. Guys with some college or just a high school education are even less likely to be interested. A guy with a Bachelor's and 15 years of post Bachelor's working experience might be interested in a newly minted female Master's Degree holder.
    You should see how much the dating pool shrinks for those of us with a PhD!

Or, on the opposite end of the spectrum, those of us who are "just" waitresses. We must be completely uneducated and therefore very undesirable. :huh:
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    Or, on the opposite end of the spectrum, those of us who are "just" waitresses. We must be completely uneducated and therefore very undesirable. :huh:

That's not the case. The point I made at the beginning of the conversation is that the highly educated, high earning powerful women are having a hard time keeping men interested. This is mostly a syndrome of women with advanced degrees, and some women with Bachelor's. Men with Bachelor's and Master's and a fairly routine career and usually open to waitresses, but there's one thing that I believe a lot of men would struggle with when it comes to waitresses and that is scheduling. Waitresses often work very late into the night and during weekends, and that can make it difficult to see each other with enough regularity depending upon what the guy does. I'm a big believer in repetition building a relationship.

Some of it also depends on how the man relates to you, and the way you would perceive an intelligent man. There are cases where smarter men tend to turn off women with their intelligence. Dave Brightwell touched on this phenomenon. It is often beneficial for an intelligent men to dumb it down a little bit to make it easier to relate to women to make himself more desirable.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

I dunno. Penny from The Big Bang Theory seems to be very much desired by her PhD neighbors... You're not an aspiring actress, as well, are you? :-)

--P
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If anyone's curious, this guy has been texting me all weekend and wants to take me out.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    If anyone's curious, this guy has been texting me all weekend and wants to take me out.
    It may be one of those things when you look back on it in a few years and laugh as a couple. Some of my relationships started off totally awkward. He obviously isn't intimidated enough to avoid you so go for it.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options

If he can`t accept the you outside your professional life then it will not work out well.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    It may be one of those things when you look back on it in a few years and laugh as a couple. Some of my relationships started off totally awkward. He obviously isn't intimidated enough to avoid you so go for it.

Nah, I'm moving next month. And he's two hours south of here. Not likely to be worth it. I went on Match the other day and told all the guys who were emailing me that I was moving. I've got so much to do in prep for the move and most of my weekends between now and then are already full anyhow. So no need to waste anyone's time.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

That's not the case. The point I made at the beginning of the conversation is that the highly educated, high earning powerful women are having a hard time keeping men interested. This is mostly a syndrome of women with advanced degrees, and some women with Bachelor's. Men with Bachelor's and Master's and a fairly routine career and usually open to waitresses, but there's one thing that I believe a lot of men would struggle with when it comes to waitresses and that is scheduling. Waitresses often work very late into the night and during weekends, and that can make it difficult to see each other with enough regularity depending upon what the guy does. I'm a big believer in repetition building a relationship.

Some of it also depends on how the man relates to you, and the way you would perceive an intelligent man. There are cases where smarter men tend to turn off women with their intelligence. Dave Brightwell touched on this phenomenon. It is often beneficial for an intelligent men to dumb it down a little bit to make it easier to relate to women to make himself more desirable.

I understand what you mean, but I don't think many men with Bachelor's and Master's degrees would look twice at a waitress.
  • DMZ_1
    Options

I understand what you mean, but I don't think many men with Bachelor's and Master's degrees would look twice at a waitress.

Why do you see things that way about men with Bachelor's/Master's not looking twice at waitresses?

Ever talked with a waitress from Hooters, Twin Peaks or any other "breastaurant" about this? Plenty of guys with Bachelor's/Master's try to pick up those women.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

Why do you see things that way about men with Bachelor's/Master's not looking twice at waitresses?

Ever talked with a waitress from Hooters, Twin Peaks or any other "breastaurant" about this? Plenty of guys with Bachelor's/Master's try to pick up those women.

I have a Bachelor's degree and I would love to date any of the waitresses at my local Hooters. Most guys don't give a hoot if a woman has a MBA from a top 5 school or an AA from a community college.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

I have a Bachelor's degree and I would love to date any of the waitresses at my local Hooters. Most guys don't give a hoot if a woman has a MBA from a top 5 school or an AA from a community college.

So you are saying boobs and *kitten* are more prized then brains?
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

So you are saying boobs and *kitten* are more prized then brains?

In a word (feel free to back me up guys).. YES.
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I don't care if a man has a degree or not .. if he treats me right, works hard and loves me .. that is all I need.