New Recruits Starting Stage 1

Options
dwn2erth
dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
Hi All It's been up until now that I've thought I'm too out of shape to start this I've been doing the Shred with a 'GREAT" group of women who have humor and empathy. If it wasn't for them I'd be still working on my strength I started Stage 1 Work out A (Actually I used the womens health big book of excercises ; because my NROWTFW is lost in transit) WOW What a work out I'm sore but I can till I've really on the right track... I'm still doing the Shred but I'm going to incorporate this into my routine along with some 'more'' cardio and yoga as I can. Wish I could catch up with you all ; but , I think I'm a bit late for that. There's some awsomely strong women in this group. (Who I hope will share their wisdom with me)

Hoping to hear from you!!

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first week. At least I can stand up without wincing now. Good luck!
  • lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I did my first set today! Stage 1 A1! I feel so great! I can't wait to get stuck into B1 :D
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first week. You should come and join the Stage 1 thread here. There are super helpful and nice ladies there.
  • huckleberry0070
    huckleberry0070 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Just finished my first B workout! I've never done deadlifts before so my back will probably be killing me tomorrow. I did P90X before this so my legs were plenty strong to add some extra weight when doing the squats in workout A... not the case for deadlifts. Is it okay to just start with the bar?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Just finished my first B workout! I've never done deadlifts before so my back will probably be killing me tomorrow. I did P90X before this so my legs were plenty strong to add some extra weight when doing the squats in workout A... not the case for deadlifts. Is it okay to just start with the bar?

You can start with whatever you like!!! If you do start with the bar, try and raise it off the ground so you are not lifting from so low.

I think form is critical with dead lifts - it is possible to herniate a disc, so watch that your back is nicely straight or arched rather than rounded. I have no idea if my form is okay, but try making sure you are looking straight ahead - this should help to get your back in the right place.
  • huckleberry0070
    Options
    I definitely found myself looking down more than ahead today. I will try using the holder-things on the cage next time so I'm not lifting the bar straight off the ground... or maybe set one of those plastic steps on the ground on either side so I can touch the bar down on those instead of the ground.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I want to start stage 1! I was thinking about starting Sunday since I just lifted yesterday and Sunday is usually less crowded at my gym. Plus I want to go look at all the form links again because I'm really nervous about it!
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I recovered from the first workout (Stage 1, Workout A) - holy crap did I hurt after that. I did the second yesterday (Workout B) and, while I'm a bit tight, I feel fabulous. Back to Workout A again tomorrow.
  • twinkletoes66
    twinkletoes66 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'v just fini week 2! Aching so much today !!!! I love it x
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm finally going to be starting NROLW in less than two weeks. I can get a cheap membership at my college and I'm just waiting for the semester to start! I'm looking for some new friends and it would be awesome if it were some other ladies who are lifting! Feel free to add me!
  • farabovepearls
    farabovepearls Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the program on Monday...I have to admit...I'm terrified!!! I have never lifted...or been near that side of the gym before....But I'm determined! I want results! I'm glad this group exists...I'm going to be looking at you guys for support :)! Lets do this!!!
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm halfway through stage one. I'll be here cheering us on!
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    will be starting stage 1 with my first workout on Monday (Sept 3rd). Had to delay by a week as my mother has decided to visit:explode:
  • MeRoBi
    MeRoBi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I finished NRLFW last month and LOVED it. Never looked so good in my life. I started their new book , and am enjoying that as well. Feel free to ask questions. Re deadlifts, I think the KEY is to make sure you feel it in your hamstrings and NOT your back. It's a matter of pushing your butt back. You KNOW when you're doing it right (you shouldn't feel a strain in your back)
  • huckleberry0070
    Options
    I'll watch for that next time... I was definitely feeling it in my back before (and still am, days later). I'm going to go back to just using the bar to start with til I get the form down. Thanks for the tip!
  • knitfastpurlyoung
    knitfastpurlyoung Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just started Stage One, and have been blogging about it, if anyone is interested. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/knitfastpurlyoung
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I did my first set today! Stage 1 A1! I feel so great! I can't wait to get stuck into B1 :D

Good for you! I did stage 1 today! 1A. I am stronger than I thought! I did the squats with the "real" bar, which is challenging for me, because it's just so long...I also did 45 degree pushups, 60 lbs on seated row, and 20 lbs on the step ups. Yay! So has anyone tried the deadliest yet? I'm a little terrified of those and my next workout will have to be weds evening when the gym will probably have a lot more people...well, at least it's not January. :)
  • rok1977
    rok1977 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Starting Stage 1 today - so excited!
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options

Good for you! I did stage 1 today! 1A. I am stronger than I thought! I did the squats with the "real" bar, which is challenging for me, because it's just so long...I also did 45 degree pushups, 60 lbs on seated row, and 20 lbs on the step ups. Yay! So has anyone tried the deadliest yet? I'm a little terrified of those and my next workout will have to be weds evening when the gym will probably have a lot more people...well, at least it's not January. :)
    Deadlifts are awesome! My favorite move by far!
  • Ang_79
    Ang_79 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just finshed Stage 1 A1. Loved it :-)