Stage 2

Options

Replies

• RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    Cowgirl, I definitely believe in the lifter's high :)

I'm starting Stge 2 today instead of tomorrow!!

I'm hoping to report back it's good results...wish me luck!!
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    cowgirl, Just did 2A today and and kept it in my palms as well, I was studying starting strength to try and get the right form but it think its a problem with my shoulder flexibility that i have to work on. Just keep trying to push the elbows out and he says take a wider grip of the bar to help this :) (although the wider grip will impact the push press :( just have to work on the shoulder flex)

good luck with stage 2 Run :)
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Just a quick jump in here on Stage 2 A Squat-Push Press thingy:

I was also told to use dumbbells instead of a bar. I tried it today and it's soooo much more doable!

Holding the bar like it's described was waaaaay awkward for me and for some reason I could barely squat~ balance maybe?
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I might try it with DBs.
    I just realized that this is my last week of Stage 2. Wow- it's going by fast. I did 3B this morning and I feel like I haven't made as much progress this stage. But then I guess it's probably not possible with only 4 of each workout. I will say I've felt more challenged with the longer workouts though.
    Does anyone else struggle with the DB prone Cuban snatch? I feel so awkward doing these.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    Afternoon all -

I completed Workout 1B today (well, except for the abs portions because I was short on time and had a Dr's appt for my son). I figured I would do it tomorrow morning. I am probably skipping the Swiss Ball Crunch and may try to replace it with something else - I don't like it and I never felt like it was doing anything so I am obviously not doing it correctly. Any suggestions?

I hope that I will get more in a rythm of this Stage...because the first two workouts I have been in a funk. Maybe I need to stop and start next week once the kids are in school. I have been so busy this week...I am looking forward to the school days break where I am alone for 6 hours a day - and this year my son starts Kindergarten so having A LONE time is something I have NEVER had :)

Oh, and I totally screwed the Split Squat...I was doing something one the page before because I was trying to quickly refresh my memory by using my phone...not a good idea. I told you I was in a funk...BLAH!

Cowgirl - I did not care for the Cuban Snatch, either. It was very akward. Congrats on your 140lbs dead lift from the box! I had to drop back for the box, only 125 instead of 135...I know, I know...I am whinning about nothing a measly 10lbs.

Anyway, I have work to do...talk with you all later :)
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Run, I found that if I do the Swiss Ball crunch correctly, that I really feel it all over. But if I'm not focusing and sloppy, it seems worthless. I really have to remember to tighten everything (hamstrings, core, quads, etc). But you are probably have a much stronger core than I do. Maybe try some more difficult variations?

I didn't get my HIIT in for yesterday's 3B workout. Today has been crazy AND it's first day of TOM. Thinking I might do it after I do workout 4A tomorrow. It's easier to do after A anyway.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Results from the start of Stage 2 on Monday 13th August up until the final session today (29th August)

Workout A
    Front squat to push press: 22lbs barbell -> 33lb barbell
    Step ups: 38.5lb barbell/10 inch step -> 45lb barbell/10inch step
    Dumbbell one point row: 11lb dumbbell -> 13lb dumbbell
    Static lunge, rear foot elevated: 11lb dumbbell (each hand)/6 inch step -> 13lb dumbbell (each hand)/6 inch step
    Push up: Lowest level on rack -> 3 on floor, 10 kneeling on floor
    Plank: 30 seconds -> 60 seconds
    Cable horizontal woodchop: 17.5lb -> 32.5lb

Workout B
    Deadlift: 72.5lb barbell -> 100lb barbbell
    Bulgarian split squat: 11lb plate -> 13lb plate
    Underhand grip lat pulldown: 55lbs -> 75lbs
    Reverse lunge from box with forward reach: 11lb dumbbell (each hand)/10 inch box -> 13lb dumbbel/10 inch box
    Swiss ball crunch: 6.6lb medicine ball on chest -> 9lb medicine ball long arm
    Reverse crunch: hard -> still hard
    Lateral flexion: wtf ->srsly
    Prone cobra: 60 seconds -> 60 seconds

So far as weight loss...

2lbs lost this stage and 2% body fat...need to check measurements and will take photo's end of this week :smile:
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    Run, I found that if I do the Swiss Ball crunch correctly, that I really feel it all over. But if I'm not focusing and sloppy, it seems worthless. I really have to remember to tighten everything (hamstrings, core, quads, etc). But you are probably have a much stronger core than I do. Maybe try some more difficult variations?

I didn't get my HIIT in for yesterday's 3B workout. Today has been crazy AND it's first day of TOM. Thinking I might do it after I do workout 4A tomorrow. It's easier to do after A anyway.

My butt seems to roll toward the floor on my Swiss ball crunches...I don't get how to keep it all tight and not move... I'm going to try again my next workout. I'm supposed to do A today but am going to be busy. I hope to still get it in. If I can't figure it out I'm going to look for alternatives.

Blah for TOM!!
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    Results from the start of Stage 2 on Monday 13th August up until the final session today (29th August)

Workout A
    Front squat to push press: 22lbs barbell -> 33lb barbell
    Step ups: 38.5lb barbell/10 inch step -> 45lb barbell/10inch step
    Dumbbell one point row: 11lb dumbbell -> 13lb dumbbell
    Static lunge, rear foot elevated: 11lb dumbbell (each hand)/6 inch step -> 13lb dumbbell (each hand)/6 inch step
    Push up: Lowest level on rack -> 3 on floor, 10 kneeling on floor
    Plank: 30 seconds -> 60 seconds
    Cable horizontal woodchop: 17.5lb -> 32.5lb

Workout B
    Deadlift: 72.5lb barbell -> 100lb barbbell
    Bulgarian split squat: 11lb plate -> 13lb plate
    Underhand grip lat pulldown: 55lbs -> 75lbs
    Reverse lunge from box with forward reach: 11lb dumbbell (each hand)/10 inch box -> 13lb dumbbel/10 inch box
    Swiss ball crunch: 6.6lb medicine ball on chest -> 9lb medicine ball long arm
    Reverse crunch: hard -> still hard
    Lateral flexion: wtf ->srsly
    Prone cobra: 60 seconds -> 60 seconds

So far as weight loss...

2lbs lost this stage and 2% body fat...need to check measurements and will take photo's end of this week :smile:

Lots of improvement!! Congrats on your lbs lost & body fat!!
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm finishing up Stage 1 tonight with the AMPRAP workout B. I took a week off from lifting the week of August 10 while we were on vacation.

So my plan was to not take a week off between stages and jump right into Stage 2. However, I'm running a marathon with my mom on Sept. 23 and I've been struggling with some IT band issues (knee pain) while running. I see that Stage 2 is pretty heavy on the lunge-type moves, so now i'm debating whether or not to start up with it now or wait until after the marathon.

I'm taking a break from running this week (and maybe next) but doing cardio on the elliptical to keep up my endurance. I plan to get new running shoes this weekend as well, my 2 pairs are pretty well worn out from the training and marathon I ran in June. I really, really, really, really (you get the point) need to make it through this marathon. It's supposed to be "easy" for me (pace-wise, we'll be running a lot slower than I ran my June marathon) and I'm running it with my mom who is doing her very first marathon. I'm pacing her, carrying her water/gels, etc. for her and supposed to be her cheerleader.

Anyway, I'll be hanging around this thread even if I don't start Stage 2 right away.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    Well ladies...I don't think I'll be continuing Stage 2 just yet. I know the next few days will be busy trying to do final things around the house before school is back in session. I was hoping to go to the gym today but I doubt I will make it, we have to go to the dreaded grocery store :noway: But if by chance I stay on track & get to the gym to continue over the next few days I will let you know. But if not, Tuesday for sure!!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Excellent job, Lottie! 2% BF is awesome!
    Run, I'm sure a few more days off isn't gonna hurt anything. Life happens- especially when you have kids.
    Ebaymommy, I too would be very cautious to start Stage 2 right away with the goals that you have. I think all the lunge movements would probably aggravate your IT issues. Best wishes on your marathon! How exciting for your mom!

Officially finished Stage 2 tonight. I'll post my stats later. I'm definitely taking a rest week. Probably just do some HIIT sessions every other day or so. I haven't looked at Stage 3 yet, but I'm excited to be moving on to something different.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    hey girls I have a stage 2 question for anyone that does it at home, for the underhand lat pulldown do you do a normal pullover or an underhand pullover?

I tried it underhand and overhand but without the wide grip and I can't quite tell if its making any difference? lol :tongue:
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    Tomorrow is our first day of school...my daughter is going in to 2nd grade and my son is starting KINDERGARTEN!! So you know what that means ?!?! I have to get back in the swing of things and back to the gym!! I am starting Stage 2 over. I will just use the two days I did last week as a warm up :)

So I hope to catch up w/you all tomorrow :)
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Ah, screw it....I couldn't decide whether lifting was helping or hurting my IT band or not making any difference....I was so indecisive whether or not to start Stage 2 but I ended up starting today.

Did workout A and here's my starting weights:

Front Squat Push/Press - 45lb bar (this was hard....45lb was *almost* too much for me but the room that has lighter bars/weights that the gym uses in BodyPump had a class going on so I couldn't go swap out....I managed my reps but just barely. The squat wasn't the problem, but lifting the bar over my head was TOUGH by about the 6th rep).

Step-Up - 45lbs stepping onto a bench w/6 risers underneath - used dumbbells for the first set and switch to the bar on my back for the 2nd set. Love/hate these!

Dumbbell One-Point Row - used 15lb dumbbells for the first set, it was too easy, switched to 20lbs for the 2nd set. I think I'll go with 25lb next time and see if I can do it.

Static Lunge - 20lb dumbbells with my foot back on a step bench (no risers underneath)

Push-Ups - 30% incline, focused on my form. I can do floor push-ups by my form gets pretty sloppy

Plank - did the Swiss Ball version, held for 60 seconds

Cable Horizontal Wood Chop - 30lbs first set, 35lbs second set

Overall I liked this workout. Reading over the moves I thought I wasn't going to enjoy it but I was wrong.
  • Digby
    Digby Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm half way through Stage 1 and decided to look to see what Stage 2 entails. I'm excited! Is that weird?
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Not wierd at all Digby! I have 2 more Stage 1 workouts then im in stage 2. Im stalking this thread as well! lol
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I am also stalking it...lol. Four more workouts of Stage 1 to go!
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    Not wierd at all Digby! I have 2 more Stage 1 workouts then im in stage 2. Im stalking this thread as well! lol

And you were worried about me being out of Stage 2 when you started, LOL! I am just now getting back in the groove of things...a few days late but better late than never! You are going to be done Stage 1 in no time :)
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    Ah, screw it....I couldn't decide whether lifting was helping or hurting my IT band or not making any difference....I was so indecisive whether or not to start Stage 2 but I ended up starting today.

Did workout A and here's my starting weights:

Front Squat Push/Press - 45lb bar (this was hard....45lb was *almost* too much for me but the room that has lighter bars/weights that the gym uses in BodyPump had a class going on so I couldn't go swap out....I managed my reps but just barely. The squat wasn't the problem, but lifting the bar over my head was TOUGH by about the 6th rep).

Step-Up - 45lbs stepping onto a bench w/6 risers underneath - used dumbbells for the first set and switch to the bar on my back for the 2nd set. Love/hate these!

Dumbbell One-Point Row - used 15lb dumbbells for the first set, it was too easy, switched to 20lbs for the 2nd set. I think I'll go with 25lb next time and see if I can do it.

Static Lunge - 20lb dumbbells with my foot back on a step bench (no risers underneath)

Push-Ups - 30% incline, focused on my form. I can do floor push-ups by my form gets pretty sloppy

Plank - did the Swiss Ball version, held for 60 seconds

Cable Horizontal Wood Chop - 30lbs first set, 35lbs second set

Overall I liked this workout. Reading over the moves I thought I wasn't going to enjoy it but I was wrong.

Nicely done!!