NOT WORKING!! Calories, science, and standard deviation

Options

Replies

• jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I had to get a BMF as well. It is one of the best purchases I have ever made. 35 years of not knowing how much I burn and now I finally have the answer (+/- 10% of course). I am now eating 2300 calories a day and losing. I can't believe I ate 1200 for so long! I am so thankful I found the EMTWL group!

I am curious.. do you use Polar HRM to measure burn and add to BMF? Because I know calories on BMF is usually low than HRM.

I'm not sure what the other poster will say, but here's my experience with the BMF.

I use the numbers off of it, and ONLY it because I'm not so worried about the exact number for my workouts, I'm more concerned about the number at the end of the day and the weekly average. If I start using multiple devices, I end up with too many inputs with different ways of measuring and I could be adding in too many cals or not enough. If I stick to only the BMF, at the end of the day I will end up with a consistent daily average because it is all measured with the same device.

I have found that even on a high burn exercise day, I will often naturally compensate throughout the rest of my NORMAL day and end up with a burn similar to a day that I exercise less. If I use numbers from another device it won't necessarily be accurate for the total daily burn once I'm done adjusting for that. I monitor the daily average burn and my daily average deficit by running reports using the last 7 days, the last 14 days and the last month. If the daily average deficit on that report is too big or too small, I adjust my daily intake of calories a little.

Basically what I'm saying is this. In my opinion, pick one device and stick to it. It gets too complicated and there are too many variables if you start using a different device for every little thing you do. Tweak from a single device (or calculation method if you don't have a device) until you find the 'magic number' that works for you! :smile:
  • dzinergrl18
    dzinergrl18 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump for later...dont have time to read it all right now!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options

Basically what I'm saying is this. In my opinion, pick one device and stick to it. It gets too complicated and there are too many variables if you start using a different device for every little thing you do. Tweak from a single device (or calculation method if you don't have a device) until you find the 'magic number' that works for you! :smile:

This is golden! So many people hop from one thing to another, that it's hard to see what "works" - then they just toss it all and say that *none* of it worked, when it's really too hard to even *kitten*. Just too many variables....
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options

I totally agree! And I run the same reports....a 7-day, a 14-day and then a 28-day....if all the averages are similar, I take my 20% cut from that. I stopped using my HRM a long time ago b/c using too many devices was getting confusing.
  • missdimpley
    Options
    thats cool. I have fitbit.. It will do. I'm just trying not to worry too much about it. so I usually eat under my calories burnt per day. I'm trying so hard to let scale go. so far I'm doing well. it is all about mentality and i'm working on it :)
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I really like the idea of personalising your own TDEE. I adjusted mine as I felt I was at the lower end of light (1 - 1.5 hrs a week, need to up that maybe) so made the split between sedentary and light active. Everyone's body is going to be slightly different and one major factor the calculators never seem to take into account is bf%. Always being told higher muscle % means higher burn outside of workouts but then never used to work out BMR. Surely this will have a big effect.

I like the idea of using something like BMF to work out your TDEE and may look into it more when I can afford to and if I feel I need to make adjustments. I have 1 query though. I see how you use it to get a TDEE but what do you do about BMR? Obviously you can't put yourself into a coma to measure your calorie burn( well you could but seems a bit drastic!!). Do you just use the formula numbers for BMR, for knowing at what point you eat back exercise calories?
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Of course "it" works . IT is individual . ! It's not "one size fits all" . once you learn more about your body and how much food you actually need ..you start to hit your stride. I won't repeat the great advice you've gotten in terms of finding your TDEE and cutting from their. I will share what I did , and it was pretty much a combo. Then ...I stopped obsessing over the numbers. I had the data so I needed to try it, go with it. Calculators. Scoobysworkshop , fit2fatradio, California Longevity institute formula. Devices. HRM, BodyBugg, FitBit. All that data gave me essentially same numbers.2100-2400 TDEE. BodyBugg (BFM) consistently gave me 2100-2300 based on activity. I then started experimenting . I wanted to really know by doing. I ate 2100 for 2 weeks. I maintained. I ate 2200 for 2 weeks. I maintained. I ate 2300 for 2 weeks. Gained 6 on the scale. Course, not FAT. Went back to 2200 for 2 weeks. 6 lbs gone. Then I cut from 2200. I eat 1700-1900ish and lose. I have freed myself from worrying about daily burns, freed myself from devices (kept FitBit but not for tracking g burns). My exercise is consistent so I simply cut from 2200 every day. I eat based on hunger so that is where the 1700idh to 1900ish comes in. Once in a while ..about every 8-12 weeks - I will eat at 2200 for a week. If my exercise significantly changed ..I'd tweak. I'd wear my HRM to see how my body responds to that exercise.

Hope this helps. And yes .... Can take time. But ,why not? What's the rush? The benefits far outweigh "gotta do it NOW" because NOW comes and goes and usually no further ahead spinning your wheels ...cause usually have to do the work anyway to stop the spinning wheels.

And ..I've said it before and will say it again : progress isn't measured simply by the scale. Oh, it gets me riled up sometimes too , but gotta step back, breathe , and focus on all the GOOD. I wouldn't give up my energy, my lack of food obsession, my badass muscles and my unheard of size 8s to be 25 lbs lighter, yet wearing at least one size bigger. WAIT. Did you read that right? Yep.

I'm 48 (49 in a couple weeks) and have never worn single digit clothing in my adult life. Smallest was a 10. Last time I wore a 10 ..I was 25 lbs lighter on the scale than I am now with, I'm sure, a higher BF%. So why in the WORLD would I want to eat less food, obsess over exercise, not feel strong, energetic, happy and yes LEAN and sexy ..only to see a lower number on the scale???? THAT just doesn't compute. In fact, THAT would just be plain , well ... You know ... Nonsensical : )

Oh ..... Size 6 jeans in my closet waiting for me. In a few months. And I will prob still weigh MORE than When I last squeezed into those size 10s

Keep on GETTING WITH IT y'all !!!!

Jen
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I will respectfully disagree. An individual who has drastically slowed down their metabolism can in fact gain weight on what SHOULD be maintenance and even COULD be maintenance with a bit of patience. People OFTEN maintain on 1300, 1400, 1500, 1700 calories but then increase their calories...gain AT FIRST and then lose some weight. Eventually they maintain on more than that previous number. That is what the reset is all about. You cannot take your reset gain--a result of extended calorie deficits--and use that to assess your maintenance level...you'd be doing yourself absolutely no good.

That's just my opinion though and you're welcome to disagree with it. Thanks for your post though--and I agree that for someone with NO REASON to believe they've impaired their metabolism that this is how they would find their maintenance. Similarly, if a person feels that their metabolism is beyond repair (either because of a hormonal condition or something that cannot be reversed) then they would also benefit.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    [/quote]Otherwise, I think plenty of people assume that if they are gaining weight, they must be eating too much-- when in fact it might be that they are eating too little.
    [/quote]Not necessarily. I had a BMF that I wore religiously and I think it ran high. I gained and gained on it...even at a deficit...

That being said...I was a theater major...not a math major! I don't understand the equation, but want to put my numbers in. I need help!
    [/quote]

....def relate regarding the BMF comment^.... and tend to disagree with regard to possibly eating too little yet gaining. i know it's not a popular opinion, but in most cases it would seem that if someone is eating a good amount of food (and by that i mean a decent amount 1500+ -- and female), it just seems so unlikely (to me) that a gain would be because of too little food. unless they are exercising very intensely.... ?
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd known about that calculator when I found myself losing more than predicted whilst on 1200kcal. I've lost when I've kept to my fitbit before, so if that happens again I'll try the calculator. Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have a damaged-beyond-repair metabolism, as what is stated by needing a reset. However, I think my reset, and 12+ weeks of eating a surplus obviously showed that the TDEE Scooby says I should have wasn't right for me, since I'm 15-20lbs. heavier after doing it. Blech. I have not found my "sweet spot" yet, and maybe looking at this equation will give me something new to try. I applaude EM2WL for all the people it has helped, but had I known that following this philosophy would set me back a whole year of hard work, I wouldn't have gone this route. It will take me the same five months I spent gaining on this program, to get the darn weight off, then I have to start over with what I had to lose last spring.... which was only another 8-10 lbs.

This is totally me!!!!!!! Except I have done the reset followed by increased cals for well over 7 months and continue to gain. :sad:
    I posed this question here before and never really heard of anyone that had had success that shared a similar situation as mine, which is : can this work if you have been eating at deficit for years, and lost 100+ pounds (or alot of weight) and possibly really damaged the metabolism, possibly beyond repair??? I really believe that I just cant eat that much at all.

When I started MFP I was at 162 pounds, and I wanted to lose 5-10 lbs. Fast forward November of last year when I started hearing about eating more, and gradaully increased cals up from 1600-1700 to 2000. Slowly gained up to 165-166. Fast forward to March of this year when I started reset, and I am now somewhere around 175 :sad: :noway: My clothes are tight, I am jiggly, and even my husband noticed I have gained...

Can you help me with numbers to run??? I am 5'8". My TDEE est by scooby is 2300, with BMR at 1580.
    I have even used the BMF as others have, and continue to gain. Based on that I should eat 2500-3000 and still lose, which believe me I tried and just kept gaining.....and its not like I have been doing this for a month and said eff it and quit. I am going on 2 years here people!!!!

(thanks!!!)
    Options
    I don't think I have a damaged-beyond-repair metabolism, as what is stated by needing a reset. However, I think my reset, and 12+ weeks of eating a surplus obviously showed that the TDEE Scooby says I should have wasn't right for me, since I'm 15-20lbs. heavier after doing it. Blech. I have not found my "sweet spot" yet, and maybe looking at this equation will give me something new to try. I applaude EM2WL for all the people it has helped, but had I known that following this philosophy would set me back a whole year of hard work, I wouldn't have gone this route. It will take me the same five months I spent gaining on this program, to get the darn weight off, then I have to start over with what I had to lose last spring.... which was only another 8-10 lbs.

This is totally me!!!!!!! Except I have done the reset followed by increased cals for well over 7 months and continue to gain. :sad:
    I posed this question here before and never really heard of anyone that had had success that shared a similar situation as mine, which is : can this work if you have been eating at deficit for years, and lost 100+ pounds (or alot of weight) and possibly really damaged the metabolism, possibly beyond repair??? I really believe that I just cant eat that much at all.

When I started MFP I was at 162 pounds, and I wanted to lose 5-10 lbs. Fast forward November of last year when I started hearing about eating more, and gradaully increased cals up from 1600-1700 to 2000. Slowly gained up to 165-166. Fast forward to March of this year when I started reset, and I am now somewhere around 175 :sad: :noway: My clothes are tight, I am jiggly, and even my husband noticed I have gained...

Can you help me with numbers to run??? I am 5'8". My TDEE est by scooby is 2300, with BMR at 1580.
    I have even used the BMF as others have, and continue to gain. Based on that I should eat 2500-3000 and still lose, which believe me I tried and just kept gaining.....and its not like I have been doing this for a month and said eff it and quit. I am going on 2 years here people!!!!

(thanks!!!)

running your numbers according to what is suggested here requires you to know what calorie intake you previously gained on and how long it took to gain that number of pounds. The best thing to do is to start new. Use NEW data...eat at a 15-20% deficit. Track your loss/gain over 4-6 weeks...then you figure out what your deficit/surplus was based on actual weight gained and add/subtract that to what you were actually eating to get your TDEE.
  • 31prvrbs
    Options
    I will respectfully disagree. An individual who has drastically slowed down their metabolism can in fact gain weight on what SHOULD be maintenance and even COULD be maintenance with a bit of patience. People OFTEN maintain on 1300, 1400, 1500, 1700 calories but then increase their calories...gain AT FIRST and then lose some weight. Eventually they maintain on more than that previous number. That is what the reset is all about. You cannot take your reset gain--a result of extended calorie deficits--and use that to assess your maintenance level...you'd be doing yourself absolutely no good.

That's just my opinion though and you're welcome to disagree with it. Thanks for your post though--and I agree that for someone with NO REASON to believe they've impaired their metabolism that this is how they would find their maintenance. Similarly, if a person feels that their metabolism is beyond repair (either because of a hormonal condition or something that cannot be reversed) then they would also benefit.

These are my exact feelings. I think (and have seen) that even though a person's body now *thinks* that the lower # is maintenance, they can retrain it to what maintenance *should* be, with some (ok, TONS of) patience.

The same way that we lower cals further and further to "break plateaus" and then our body adapts, can be done in reverse. but again, it requires a patience and determination that is beyond really caring. :ohwell: When our body adapts to lower calorie intakes, all of the signals are mixed up. So even when we are maintaining on lower #s, it doesn't mean that we should STAY there. That is why I literally took months of just upping the cals until I gained, staying there until I plateaued and then upping them again. My body's idea of "maintenance" could not be trusted. So I just ignored it. Just because I maintained at 1400, doesn't mean I stayed there (thank God!), I also gained first, then eventually maintained at 1600. But I didn't stay there, then I gained/maintained at 1800. and so on.

I am a small person, because I chose to push the limits on my cals, I now eat more than ANY calculator gives me. Our bodies can be retrained. Yes, I gained tons of weight, felt fat, replaced my wardrobe, etc,. but it was for the greater good. Yes, it took for.ev.er before anyone noticed that what I was doing was going to end well :noway: . Yes, people looked at me like I was insane because I kept gaining. :huh:

YES they all look at me crazy now, when they are all eating like birds, and I'm eating twice as much, yet 3xs smaller than they are. It took time, but it was OH, so worth it. :bigsmile:

I mean, honestly...the time was gonna pass anyway...

I understand that not everyone is willing to go there mentally, but, I just had the long term perspective in mind. I'm so happy that I can now maintain at 2200+ cals @5'2. That was purely a pipe dream back in the day.
    Options

These are my exact feelings. I think (and have seen) that even though a person's body now *thinks* that the lower # is maintenance, they can retrain it to what maintenance *should* be, with some (ok, TONS of) patience.

The same way that we lower cals further and further to "break plateaus" and then our body adapts, can be done in reverse. but again, it requires a patience and determination that is beyond really caring. :ohwell: When our body adapts to lower calorie intakes, all of the signals are mixed up. So even when we are maintaining on lower #s, it doesn't mean that we should STAY there. That is why I literally took months of just upping the cals until I gained, staying there until I plateaued and then upping them again. My body's idea of "maintenance" could not be trusted. So I just ignored it. Just because I maintained at 1400, doesn't mean I stayed there (thank God!), I also gained first, then eventually maintained at 1600. But I didn't stay there, then I gained/maintained at 1800. and so on.

I am a small person, because I chose to push the limits on my cals, I now eat more than ANY calculator gives me. Our bodies can be retrained. Yes, I gained tons of weight, felt fat, replaced my wardrobe, etc,. but it was for the greater good. Yes, it took for.ev.er before anyone noticed that what I was doing was going to end well :noway: . Yes, people looked at me like I was insane because I kept gaining. :huh:

YES they all look at me crazy now, when they are all eating like birds, and I'm eating twice as much, yet 3xs smaller than they are. It took time, but it was OH, so worth it. :bigsmile:

I mean, honestly...the time was gonna pass anyway...

I understand that not everyone is willing to go there mentally, but, I just had the long term perspective in mind. I'm so happy that I can now maintain at 2200+ cals @5'2. That was purely a pipe dream back in the day.
    I've done the same thing. I completely understand. It's soooo much better to bite the bullet--push it a bit and let your body figure it out!
    Options
    I'd like to further point out that:

1) if someone was restricting carbs and then transition to a more balanced diet then their weight gain would be inflated as a result of the water retention

2) food mass/bulk alone can account for several pounds

Taking those things into consideration--the weight gained during the first week should be completely ignored when trying to determine one's TDEE based on weight gain during a reset. Also, in using these numbers as your TDEE you're likely to be back in the predicament that led you to do the reset in the first place. So you've essentially reversed any progress that the reset might have made.
  • 31prvrbs
    Options

I've done the same thing. I completely understand. It's soooo much better to bite the bullet--push it a bit and let your body figure it out!

I'd like to further point out that:

1) if someone was restricting carbs and then transition to a more balanced diet then their weight gain would be inflated as a result of the water retention

2) food mass/bulk alone can account for several pounds

Taking those things into consideration--the weight gained during the first week should be completely ignored when trying to determine one's TDEE based on weight gain during a reset. Also, in using these numbers as your TDEE you're likely to be back in the predicament that led you to do the reset in the first place. So you've essentially reversed any progress that the reset might have made.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

:flowerforyou:
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options

(thanks!!!)

running your numbers according to what is suggested here requires you to know what calorie intake you previously gained on and how long it took to gain that number of pounds. The best thing to do is to start new. Use NEW data...eat at a 15-20% deficit. Track your loss/gain over 4-6 weeks...then you figure out what your deficit/surplus was based on actual weight gained and add/subtract that to what you were actually eating to get your TDEE.

That is a good place to start, if a 15 percent deficit wasn't working, start out by going to 20. And then quickly start gathering data, and scoop together any past data you have, as long as it's accurate, no guessing.

I strongly recommend this spreadsheet (http://interzone.kicks-*kitten*.net/Calculating_calories.xls)--you have to scroll to the right and down a bit-- that's how I can see my deviation. It's called "weight evolution", and you fill in your initial numbers, then record your weekly weight and compare it to the prediction made by the Katch-McArdle formula. I've got mine set to a 1# gain, and as it turns out, I'm maintaining... but then I look back at my actual calorie intake and the average is lower. But still, it's awesome to see the maintenance and know how many calories it took to do that. It gives me data to make decisions.

(Here's where I wish I was in a sci fi situation where a machine in the wall could spit out the perfect amount of calories and macronutrients...)

It also shows me that my weight temporarily drops when I take a week off from lifting, and it rises a bit when its TOM. Seeing that regularly helps me know my body and its patterns. Maybe I'm a bit of a nerd, but I find that kinda cool. :bigsmile:
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    Thanks!! Much appreciated!
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I would like to add to the Maintenance conversation by saying that I had trained my body to believe that 600-700 cals per day was maintenance for ME.

Translation: I ate at that level for YEARS and stayed the same. I exercised like crazy and probably netted 200-300 calories per day and lost nothing!!

I weighed 190-200 pounds and needed to lose 70ish pounds, so had PLENTY to lose, but lost NOTHING.

When I chose to do EM2WL and up my calories then went to Reset, I gained a LOT.

It was upsetting, uncomfortable and scary given my very small frame, my age (51) and other illnesses.

But I now understand WHY that happened and what my body was doing~ what else COULD have happened if you go from 600 calories per day to 2200??

I am still fearful of my health at this weight, but at least I understand completely the hows and whys of what's happening with my body!
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    I would like to add to the Maintenance conversation by saying that I had trained my body to believe that 600-700 cals per day was maintenance for ME.

Translation: I ate at that level for YEARS and stayed the same. I exercised like crazy and probably netted 200-300 calories per day and lost nothing!!

I weighed 190-200 pounds and needed to lose 70ish pounds, so had PLENTY to lose, but lost NOTHING.

When I chose to do EM2WL and up my calories then went to Reset, I gained a LOT.

It was upsetting, uncomfortable and scary given my very small frame, my age (51) and other illnesses.

But I now understand WHY that happened and what my body was doing~ what else COULD have happened if you go from 600 calories per day to 2200??

I am still fearful of my health at this weight, but at least I understand completely the hows and whys of what's happening with my body!
    How long did you gain before you finally started losing?