2012.09.10 Menopausal Mad Hatters Chatter (Monday)

Options
Snooozie
Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
Know what you want to do, hold the thought firmly, and do every day what should be done, and every sunset will see you that much nearer to your goal.

Good morning Mad Hatters!

I was wracking my brain this morning trying to come up with something to start us off on a new week, when I realized one of our Hatters had already given us a perfect start to the week:

(TArnold): Everyone reflect on one accomplishment and how that has impacted your journey. What will your next step be on this journey?

Replies

• Snooozie
    Options
    Hmmm.. I’ve been thinking about my reply to TA’s question, and have to admit it the accomplishment part is a lot harder than the goal part! I guess in the end, what I feel is my biggest accomplishment, would be having actually started to make changes. I always ran right to “learning” and researching information, taken nutrition classes, read up on exercise, blah blah. I could preach about the evils of sugar and rattle off the dangers of trans fats and read a label from 100 paces, but while I was patting myself on the back for all my new found knowledge each time, I managed to stand on the soapbox and NOT actually ever DO anything myself. But by gosh I had all the answers. But this time around, I’m not just talking the talk, I’m MAKING the changes… albeit slowly, one step at a time, but I AM making them, and that’s my biggest accomplishment to date. And I guess the impact on my journey, is that starting to make those changes was the start of my actual journey. IPOM.

As for my next step….I’ve also realized I haven’t really been putting a lot of effort into my exercise part; someone once told me if you ain’t sweating, you ain’t exercising, and no matter how fast I walk, I don’t really sweat much (except for a hot flash creeping in! (I do get breathless tho). So my next step is to up the exercise. I tried some new machines yesterday and discovered the elliptical makes me actually drip sweat, and as well, I made a decision to start strength training. I can’t afford a personal trainer, but I have a colleague at work who is a certified personal trainer and a nutrionist, and who has always been very helpful and kind with everyone looking for some free advice lol! So I finally got up the courage to contact her and ask for help starting a program, although I have to admit it was tuff because I was embarrassed and because I am scared I won’t be able to do it, or carry though. Anyway, I was completely honest with her, and worked out a “barter” for her coming to my place and setting up the program with me here in my gym at home. We will have a huge gym at work when we move into our new building next month, but she knows I am not comfortable (yet) with working out with the people I work with (a lot are fitness buffs, and young males… need I say more?) She was super supportive and I trust her knowledge and credentials, and so that is my next step on my journey. And I know I’m gonna need the Hatter’s help in taking it… so be fore warned LOL!

Gotta get ready and head out to the doc's, then back to the eyeball guy this afternoon. Look forward to catching up on everyone's replies when I get home. Have a great day Hatters!
  • NewBeginnings0148
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone-My biggest accomplishment so far has been logging my food everyday since I joined MFP. I have lost 10 pounds since joining on 06/30/12. I had only lost 2 pounds this year prior to joining. So, tracking my food has definitely made a big difference for me. Since I feel that I've got my eating under control now, my next step is to make exercising more of a priority every day and to also challenge myself with more challenging workouts and not just walking. Thanks to all of the friends on here who have been super supportive to me, it has helped a lot to know that I have someone in my corner who cares! Everyone have a great and productive day! :flowerforyou:
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My biggest accomplishment so far is that I'm not giving up. I used to try TOO much for about three days, declare it all hopeless then give up with a promise to do better "later". I'd invariably gain back what little I had lost with five more pounds along with it. I'm not doing that now. I just past two years. I haven't been perfect. I'm losing more slowly that ever, but I'm making lifestyle changes. Choosing the marathon, not the sprint. I keep reminding myself to stick to the basics - eat right, move more, track everything every day, drink water, etc. It may take me another year. It may take longer than that. It's o.k.. I'll get there.
  • mazie61
    mazie61 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My biggest accomplishment is being able to walk for quite a distance without...pain or icepacks!!! I started MFP almost a year ago., at that point I couldn't walk an aisle in the supermarket without being in extreme pain!
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    biggest accomplishment:

3 glasses down and only 1030 am EST....darn it's only water:drinker: :grumble:

saved 1/2 of yesterday's dinner for tonight......
    will treat myself to icecream for dessert - reesses pb.... 280 cals.....

and no other junk planned.....:wink::laugh:

Carol
  • 1slimlinda
    1slimlinda Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Good morning Hatters,

Sue, you are doing so great in many ways! I can see your step by step process! Its pretty cool! You are making gains by all the changes in your thoughts, as you are turning them into actions. One step at a time. Even better , is that you sought out a trainer! That is terrific! That shows you are ready....in your mind. I believe you can talk about losing weight, eating better, feeling better,exercising more etc, but if you are not ready in your mind...it probably won't happen . Until you are. ( I am working on my mind right now. oy! and its not an easy thing. ) Kobie, I'm not giving up either, not when I have a team of people that I know are behind me, and I can help support them in return for the support I receive, which is amazing.

Annamay, I am so happy that your pain is improving as I know how it can put a damper on all aspects of your life. Keep on truckin!

Mary, logging has helped me tremendously, except I have gotten away from it due to vacation....argh I am starting fresh today! Lord help me I will do this! ( I have to stop the train, the scale is starting to tip the wrong way!)

Sue. I can't wait for the day that you say you were at the gym with all the studs and worked out right next to them! Although, I feel the same way you do right now, I try always to remember what my son told me years ago when I was worried about my appearance that day....".Mom......Who's judging you? "

Have a wonderful day everyone! Thank you for being here, a place I know I can always come to warm my heart, and feel like I'm home. I believe in you!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    This is too funny! This goes back to my earlier post of how much alike we all are. Each of you has practically written what I might have written for myself…….

From Snooozie: …my biggest accomplishment, would be having actually started to make changes…….. I’m MAKING the changes… albeit slowly, one step at a time, but I AM making them.

From Maryawish: ….. So, tracking my food has definitely made a big difference for me. .

From Kobiemom: ……I used to try TOO much for about three days, declare it all hopeless then give up with a promise to do better "later". I'd invariably gain back what little I had lost with five more pounds along with it. I'm not doing that now.

All of the above is exactly what I would have said, only you all said it so much better. I'm sure I will see more from others as the day goes on.
    The only thing I can add as an accomplishment is that I wake up each morning with thoughts of “ What can I do today that will be good for me today ? “ Instead of heading to the junk food and caving in.

Gotta run ,breaks over.
    Have a great day!
    Gail
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Biggest accomplishment to date: I am still here! I haven't given up or dove head first into the ice cream vat. I am making this about me one day at a time. Some days are better than others but it is ALL about me at this point.

I have a meetings but did want to drop in after being MIA all weekend.

xoxoxoxo
    ~t
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Back from the doc; and altho her scales only showed a 5lb loss, they also put me a pound lower than mine are showing at home, so it seemed a fair trade LOL! And no diabetes meds, altho she said really its just to give me time to mentally adjust to what appears to be the inevitable cause I'm not ready to accept that I can't change it on my own; but as she said.. since I'm doing everything right and its not going down enough; then lifestyle and genetics may be why. That and the fact that had I perhaps started taking care of myself 10 yrs ago instead of 2 months ago (ack the truth hurts!) But... happy with the weight loss AND my cholesterol dropped an entire point down to 3.5 so nice to see the changes are happening on the inside too! Couldn't be doing it without the Mad Hatters so glad I found you!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Wow.. from all corners of the globe, and yet as Time2 said, we share so many of the same previous struggles and current determination that has brought us here. And staying. It's funny how when I read some of the posts, I find myself nodding in agreement and thinking "oh yess exactly!". So here's to us ladies.. for not giving up, not giving in and staying the distance. :flowerforyou:
  • adianeschu
    adianeschu Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking and thinking of my accomplishments since this morning. I first thought that I didn't have any because since the end of June I've only lost 2lbs. But then again I thought that those two lbs. are something to be glad about. I do feel better and i'm exercising more than I use too. This past week was a really hard one for me. I was toying with the idea that I should give up but something inside me kept saying "Oh! No you don't"! I think it was all the mad hatters chanting! :noway: So this past week I haven't been commenting on the website but I was reading and reading, I cried and cried, prayed and prayed to get my motivation going again! I talked to my best friend (my husband)! Pour thing he didn't know what to think I was a mess. But after our talk and more readingl I have so many things that I'm going to try to do. If you don't succeed with one thing try another. I will not give up! I know sometime the weight will have to slide off. Right? Yes! I know it will. I have also talked to a trainer (one of my friends) and he gave me some ideas too. So more exercising is in my future. I will lick this challenge even if it gets the best of me! Because I'm strong and a mad hatter!

Thanks for listening
    Anita
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Anita,

We are here for you - we all have those days we want to throw in the towel and give up - but then we don't.
    We keep the scale - good, bad and ugly...
    Just think of how far you've come - I'm down from 220 to about 185ish... up down up down the scale goes.... just got back from vacation - wonderful time, mostly good choices - 2 fried platters, 2 ice creams, not a lot of water intake... but did go for walks, swam....went back to 191... 1 week later back down at 185ish....
    You can and will do this!

Add me as a friend - we can all use the support we can get...

Carol
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Anita, thank you for not giving up.
    We need you here, right along side us in this fight. It's not going to be easy, but I know it will start to fall off. I have been at this for over two years...lose it , gain it, lose it again , gain it again plus some more. It's only since starting Mad HAtters that I have had the courage to keep going ,even when I still eat badly and don't exercise like I should. I know you all are there for me, maybe even going through the same stuff. So Hang in there..We're going to make it all together!!
  • abbezen
    abbezen Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hello all you beautiul Ladies~

I think my biggest accomplishment is the fact that I am 80 days smoke free today. Now, I know that doesn't have anything to do with weight loss....but it really does! My weight loss is going v e r y slow right now...but I have managed to keep losing since I quit, and have kept it off! So for that, IPOM!

Keep being AMAZING Ladies! We CAN DO THIS!!
  • abbezen
    Options
    Anita! Just want you to know that YOU are AWESOME.... :smile:
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Abezen-no cigarettes for so long that it GREAT.
    Anita-Being here when you are discouraged is a great achievement, be proud of your determination. If you keep the faith, things will turn around for you!
    Snoozie-Keep at it and you may still prove that you don't need the medication. But if you do, it will just be another tool to use as you build your fitness.
    HATTERS ROCK-there are so many great achievements, I get encouragement from every single post and I wish I had time to respond to each and every one. Thank you for being here!
    Today is a good day for me to reflect on my biggest achievement since I joined MFP. At weigh in today, I was down 20% of my January weight! Of course MFP celebrated by reducing my calorie allowance.
    So I have been thinking of what to say ever since I read the question this morning. I decided that my biggest achievement was to finally realize that my weight is just a number on a scale, it does not define me and there is no reason to be so ashamed of it that I keep it my greatest and most closely guarded secret. That is a radical departure for me and it did not happen at first. At first, I used MFP as a tracking device only. For the first time in over 20 years I decided to try weighing myself each and every week. But, my diary, my weight and all of my settings were set to private. Every once in a while I read a post but I did not share anything of consequence. When I hit a stubborn plateau and I was wondering how to get out of it. I saw a “lose 10 pounds in 6 weeks challenge”. I almost did not join because it meant that I would have to put my weight out there for everyone to see, but I did not want to stay stuck on my plateau. So I decided to share my weight. Far as I know, no one fainted.
    I began to think about the way my weight had always been such a giant secret. My scale number may have been a secret but my size certainly wasn’t. Sometimes alcoholics can hide their addictions from others, but I carried mine with me wherever I went. I would even refuse to get on the scale at the doctor’s office, because the number would make me so depressed.
    I then found the Mad Hatters and saw how supportive they were of each other. I decided I could share not only my weight but also what I was eating. The support was wonderful. I realized that I did not make judgments about my fellow hatters when I saw how much they weighed, so I wondered why did I make those judgments about myself and why did I assume that everyone else would make judgments about me based on a number.
    Today I weigh 220 pounds, I have even told my husband that number, even though it is still a good bit higher than his scale number. But he loves me and he knows the size of my body almost better than I do. He has looked at me with love in his eyes, even when I have averted my gaze from mirrors because I didn’t want to see my body. Everyone sees the same Janet and I don’t look any different if someone knows I weigh 220 pounds or if someone doesn’t know the number on the scale. If anyone wants to make judgments about me because I am obese, they will make those judgments whether or not they know my scale numbers.
    My fitness is so much more than that one number on a scale and while the 20% reduction in size is a mark of improved fitness there are other numbers that are even more important-cholesterol and glucose numbers good enough to stop the doctors telling me I needed to be prepared for medication, the number of minutes that I can play tennis without anyone ever worrying that I am so red that I might be having a heart attack, the number of diet cokes I have not drunk, the number of outfits in my closet that actually fit me, the number of push ups that I do in body pump (and the number of dips from the side of the bench, but since that number is only 3, I don’t talk about it much), the number of mini ice cream drumsticks that I can keep in the freezer because I don’t need to eat every one in one night or even one on each night and the number of times a day that I look in the mirror and smile.
  • abbezen
    Options
    @Hairspray! You just brought me to tears with an absolutely AMAZING post! Thank you for sharing all that! Non of us are here to judge anyone else...your words ring true.

I am so proud of everything YOU have accomplished and am proud to call you MY FRIEND!

Keep rockin it Girlfriend! IPOU!

Kimberly
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I am so proud to call you ladies my friends. We all face challenges in our daily lives. It's how we confront those challenges that make us who we are. I am the first one to say I haven't always done the best in a confrontation with my weight. But with all of you I have been able to share myself in a way that I haven't before. You know my family, my drama, my vacations and even that the tree fell on my building when I really just didn't have time for it. You have listened and been supportive. For me that is the most important thing. I think that as we age and go, are going or have gone through menopause people don't listen to what we have to say. Or, if they do they take it as being hormonal BS. They listen to humor us but they don't listen. Here in this group there is no judgement. I like HSH kept my diary closed for a long time. I didn't want anyone to judge me on my evening cocktails with the husband or even the weekend partying with the adult beverages. I finally decided that if I could be honest with myself about it why not be honest here. I have learned a lot about myself and am hoping to continue down the path to a healthier me.

Anita, thank you for not giving up
    HSH- than k you for sharing such a personal thoughts

Thanks to all of you for sharing yourselves with me I so much appreciate it.

Some days you hear just what you were supposed to hear and for that day is today!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    I just got home and read all the posts... and it's a rare thing for me to be speechless, but I was so moved by all the posts, I don't want to reply to them yet, I just want to read them all again. The courage and strength shines through each and every post. and I've never been more proud to be a part of something, than I am right now to be a member of such an amazing group of women.
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I hope to catch up with everyone tomorrow.