Am I just that bad or what?

Options

Replies

• MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    We can make this the official REVIEW MY PROFILE thread if need be.

I decided to dust off my OKCupid profile and give this online thing another shot. My user name is MikeM53082 (if you search for the name, the profile should come up).

I'm extremely receptive to constructive criticism. So now is your chance to tee off on me :)
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    could only see your POF one and to me you say that you have a sense of humor but I only saw your serious side just my two cents
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options

I decided to dust off my OKCupid profile and give this online thing another shot. My user name is MikeM53082 (if you search for the name, the profile should come up).

I'm extremely receptive to constructive criticism. So now is your chance to tee off on me :)

I like it, Mike! Personality and sense of humor definitely show through and you've shared a lot of unique things, not the standard answers I generally see. A couple little things:

"I love doing cultural thing," You need an s on things.

" I have a demanding job in telecommunications regulations field." This says to me you're a workaholic. Can you say it a little more positively? Challenging, but exciting? Or are you really trying to convey that you work a lot and don't have a lot of free time, because I don't get that impression from your posts with how much time you have been able to spend with your neighbor.

"What the future has in store for me. Anything about real estate ideas, career goals, meeting a nice gal on OK Cupid lol" Maybe a little more punctuation in here, since you did take that technical writing course and all. :wink: Should there be a comma after real estate or is it ideas about real estate? I like my lols spelled thusly: LOL! but I'm weird like that! (I lurve me some exclamation marks, if you haven't noticed yet.)

Last one, although it's not at the bottom: "I'm much more of a pub and upscale restaurant (love Indian, Thai, and anything super spicy) kind of guy as opposed to a downtown Fort Lauderdale/Miami Beach person." I just not might understand this because I'm not a local. Are all the Indian and Thai kind of restaurants there "upscale" or are the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami Beach things more like hot dog stands?

Now pictures... we may have more of a problem. I really don't like seeing so many with you and a woman. It looks like you are using pictures with an ex-girlfriend, which is a bit off-putting and could suggest the pix are old, especially when there's no explanation that it's your sister, cousin or a friend. I can't remember if you can add something to explain who the woman is. There's no reason for you not to clip the other person out of the second photo. Photos #3 and #6 should be cropped more (unless you can explain who they are), but I'd rather see them removed. That might sound a little strange and play into my own insecurities, but I don't like to see it and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. Women don't want to see a hint of your past dating life in your profile.
  • MikeM53082
    Options

I like it, Mike! Personality and sense of humor definitely show through and you've shared a lot of unique things, not the standard answers I generally see. A couple little things:

"I love doing cultural thing," You need an s on things.

" I have a demanding job in telecommunications regulations field." This says to me you're a workaholic. Can you say it a little more positively? Challenging, but exciting? Or are you really trying to convey that you work a lot and don't have a lot of free time, because I don't get that impression from your posts with how much time you have been able to spend with your neighbor.

"What the future has in store for me. Anything about real estate ideas, career goals, meeting a nice gal on OK Cupid lol" Maybe a little more punctuation in here, since you did take that technical writing course and all. :wink: Should there be a comma after real estate or is it ideas about real estate? I like my lols spelled thusly: LOL! but I'm weird like that! (I lurve me some exclamation marks, if you haven't noticed yet.)

Last one, although it's not at the bottom: "I'm much more of a pub and upscale restaurant (love Indian, Thai, and anything super spicy) kind of guy as opposed to a downtown Fort Lauderdale/Miami Beach person." I just not might understand this because I'm not a local. Are all the Indian and Thai kind of restaurants there "upscale" or are the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami Beach things more like hot dog stands?

Now pictures... we may have more of a problem. I really don't like seeing so many with you and a woman. It looks like you are using pictures with an ex-girlfriend, which is a bit off-putting and could suggest the pix are old, especially when there's no explanation that it's your sister, cousin or a friend. I can't remember if you can add something to explain who the woman is. There's no reason for you not to clip the other person out of the second photo. Photos #3 and #6 should be cropped more (unless you can explain who they are), but I'd rather see them removed. That might sound a little strange and play into my own insecurities, but I don't like to see it and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. Women don't want to see a hint of your past dating life in your profile.

Mellie,
    Thank you for the nice review! I thought you would have been a little more critical of me, so I'm pleasantly surprised :wink:

You're spot on with the gramatical errors. Maybe you can grant me a free pass because I have an engineer background and we are notoriously poor when it comes to stuff like that. But, I will certainly make the changes you recommended.

You're correct on the pictures, they are both with old gf's. I really should do a better job at cropping their butts out of the picture or just take the picture off all together. You make a good point on that, I totally see where you are coming from.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I disagree with Mellie's assertion on other women in photos. I think it works to your advantage. When women see you in photos with other women online, your status is raised. It serves as social proof of quality social skills. A guy who is around other women is perceived as more desirable.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I disagree with Mellie's assertion on other women in photos. I think it works to your advantage. When women see you in photos with other women online, your status is raised. It serves as social proof of quality social skills. A guy who is around other women is perceived as more desirable.

Not for me. I see a guy with girls in the picture, especially different girls and I think they are a player and I pass them by.
  • MikeM53082
    Options
    When I see a picture of a girl w/ a guy, it usually doesn't deter me. I think to myself "so this is the kind of guy she goes for", then I decide whether to e-mail or not. I think it's pretty valuable intel.
  • Mellie289
    Options
    When I see a picture of a girl w/ a guy, it usually doesn't deter me. I think to myself "so this is the kind of guy she goes for", then I decide whether to e-mail or not. I think it's pretty valuable intel.
    Perhaps you should take a poll then. It seems Dave agrees with you, but you're not trying to catch the attention of a man. So far, two women see it will cause you to get passed on.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Not for me. I see a guy with girls in the picture, especially different girls and I think they are a player and I pass them by.

I agree with Mellie & Ruth! If a guy has photos with other women on their profile it's a complete turn off, so NEXT!
  • Mellie289
    Options

I agree with Mellie & Ruth! If a guy has photos with other women on their profile it's a complete turn off, so NEXT!
    Oh, three now! You and I were posting almost simultaneously!
  • MikeM53082
    Options
    Is it really *that* much of a turn-off? It's only a picture and I think it shows that I'm a social, well adjusted young man :laugh:

I'd be curious to hear more opinions on this.
  • MikeM53082
    Options
    I have a feeling men won't care.. but every women will be against it. Just a hunch.
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say the idea of another woman partially being in the picture bothers me at all.... BUT I say that admitting that if I could see enough of her, I'd use what I could see of her to make a judgement on whether I might or might not be his type. What can I say... women overanalyze? I'd say crop it more just to be sure. So, yes, your hunch will be correct...
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should take a poll then. It seems Dave agrees with you, but you're not trying to catch the attention of a man. So far, two women see it will cause you to get passed on.

I pass on those guys too
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

Yup.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Pics with women...

It depends for me. If the guy had a pic of celebrating his b-day with hot hooters girls, I would think he is fun and wild.

Other than that, it depends on the body language. If they're hugging closely or the chick is on his lap, I don't see the point and pass him up.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Is it really *that* much of a turn-off? It's only a picture and I think it shows that I'm a social, well adjusted young man :laugh:

If you are with a group of intermingled girls and guys that would show you are social. If you are with a group of women in all your pictures it is the turn off and shouts player. If the same woman is in all your pictures, and it isn't labeled that she is a releative then it is a red flag. I would see that girl as trouble even if she is just your best friend. She will consider you her possession and have trouble with another girl in the picture.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

If you are with a group of intermingled girls and guys that would show you are social. If you are with a group of women in all your pictures it is the turn off and shouts player. If the same woman is in all your pictures, and it isn't labeled that she is a releative then it is a red flag. I would see that girl as trouble even if she is just your best friend. She will consider you her possession and have trouble with another girl in the picture.

Perfectly said.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    After a certain age we all have a "past" but that doesn't mean we want to hear about it or see you flaunt it before we event meet you... Same principle where most of us agreed in another thread that we don't want to know how many partners someone has had either. It's a simple thing to change and won't lead us women to over-analyze if you only have solo photos on your profile.

It's only a picture and I think it shows that I'm a social, well adjusted young man.
    This sounds nice in theory, but don't guys often say that male-female friendships don't really exist? That all our guys friends really just want to sleep with us anyway?
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I pretty much get 0 responses on match.com and on pof.com. Is something wrong with how I look or my profiles?

Opinions:
    http://www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=35289218

http://www.match.com/profile/Show?UID=hi4T/xkanG2GpU+dwR/wQQ==&Handle=arguy1984
    Warning! I'm about to be brutally honest so read on at your own risk.

I only read your Match profile, but I thought it was boring. You seem like a pretty good guy but if I was a chick I wouldn't want to date you based on your profile.

First, your tagline "Single hardworking guy looking...blah blah blah." You just described yourself really well, and that's great, but you want something a little more witty that will attract more attention and make them think.

What I got from your profile was that you work a lot while raising a kid, and you just had a heart attack. Save the heart attack conversation for the first date. Focus more on the positives. The first paragraph in your profile is a little boring too. Sounds like every other profile and made me want to stop reading. Delete that crap and put in a joke or something that more represents your personality. Try to sound more fun and/or interesting. The occasional exclamation point can work wonders!

Add a question to the end of your profile or some sort of conversation starter.

And for the love of god if you have a lab puppy post a picture of it! Preferably with you in it too (I hate when people post pics without themselves). Don't say what it's name is though, let them ask (it's a good conversation starter).

And as always, I don't claim to be an expert but I eventually found a few things that worked for me. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions, I'm always willing to help.