Am I just that bad or what?

Options

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I disagree with Mellie's assertion on other women in photos. I think it works to your advantage. When women see you in photos with other women online, your status is raised. It serves as social proof of quality social skills. A guy who is around other women is perceived as more desirable.

Only a man would think/say this!! :huh:

I agree with Mellie, take the bird pics out, unless it's obviously your Mother!

To me it just speaks of insecurity, like you need to SHOW us that you're capable/attractive enough of being with a girl!! Totally unecessary, you're selling yourself, not your history of conquests!! :flowerforyou:
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I disagree with Mellie's assertion on other women in photos. I think it works to your advantage. When women see you in photos with other women online, your status is raised. It serves as social proof of quality social skills. A guy who is around other women is perceived as more desirable.
    I don't know about that, women get weird about seeing photos of ex-girlfriends, it could go either way. I've always tried to keep all my photos to just me, and maybe my dog. Keep the past in the past.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Also if we see pictures of a guy with an ex-girlfriend we think "This guy isn't over his ex-girlfriend if he still has pictures of them together".
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Honestly pictures with women in them dont bother me. I hate the pics where everyone has been cropped out. You should have atleast 1 or 2 nice shots of yourself and then what ever pics you want. But I'm weird so my opinion may not go with what other ladies think

Edited for plain old bad spelling
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I've cropped all my ex-girlfriends out of the pictures. All that is remaining is a part of their arm at best.

For some reason, I just don't like too many solo pictures of myself. I don't want to give off the impression that I'm too much of a loner (though I can be on occasion).

I think pictures with male friends, whom aren't better looking, are always the best.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I am holding a small infant in one of my pics, and I clearly label that it is not my own kid. I would guess that picture is positively perceived. :smile: :wink:
  • BelMckenzie
    Options
    I don't know about that, women get weird about seeing photos of ex-girlfriends, it could go either way. I've always tried to keep all my photos to just me, and maybe my dog. Keep the past in the past.

I agree with roadie, if there are unlabeled photos of you and a girl especially one wrapped around you or you are holding, I assume ex-gf. Now, I know everyone has a past, but seriously not what I want to be my first impression of you. Oh yeah, I usually love the photos of a guy and his dog (as long as it's not a toy breed of a dog) since I am a big animal person.

And fyi- no photos of your car(s), your bike, your giant fish you caught the weekend before, your bird, or your cat. I want to see photos of you and I really could care less about the rest until I get to know you.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I am holding a small infant in one of my pics, and I clearly label that it is not my own kid. I would guess that picture is positively perceived. :smile: :wink:

Hmmm, you might want to reconsider that only because if someone doesn't read the caption or the rest of the profile they may assume you already have a kid. Especially since you won't date anyone with kids either, you don't want to be turning anyone off who otherwise might be interested.
  • BelMckenzie
    Options

Hmmm, you might want to reconsider that only because if someone doesn't read the caption or the rest of the profile they may assume you already have a kid. Especially since you won't date anyone with kids either, you don't want to be turning anyone off who otherwise might be interested.

I disagree with that, but maybe I am one of the few that read the profile as well as look at the photos. I like the photos of men with kids since it shows them as a potential father which is what I am looking for out of a partner since I want kids. But I also prefer to date men with no kids, so if I see a photo with a kid, I will try to figure out if it is theirs or not.

Oh yeah Dave, I thought you disagreed with online dating....
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

This is so true! I had a pic of me and several of my son's friends. It was one of the best pictures of my face I've ever taken so I had it in my profile until someone asked me why I only listed one child when I obviously had 4.
  • DMZ_1
    Options

I disagree with that, but maybe I am one of the few that read the profile as well as look at the photos. I like the photos of men with kids since it shows them as a potential father which is what I am looking for out of a partner since I want kids. But I also prefer to date men with no kids, so if I see a photo with a kid, I will try to figure out if it is theirs or not.

In the picture, I am standing with the father of the child (my cousin). So there's a total of 3 people in the picture. I clearly label the picture "Standing With My Cousin, Holding His Newborn".

Yes, I do not think highly of online dating. But my profiles are out there. I think the best ways to meet people for the most meaningful relationships are through the friend of friend network and your day to day activities.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    seems like your all overthinking this... basically shoot for the best pics and keep the thing simple and interesting. You could have the best profile and pics in the world and at best your going to go 1 for 15 in replies.
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    seems like your all overthinking this... basically shoot for the best pics and keep the thing simple and interesting. You could have the best profile and pics in the world and at best your going to go 1 for 15 in replies.

I thought you were 1 for 33... does that mean you don't have the best profile or pics in the WORLD?! You better fix that :wink:

I'm 4 for 30 myself in the first month...I clearly need work too, heehee...though at least it's better than the 0 for 100 I did the last time. What the heck did I change? Oh yeah, I lowered my standards, HAHA! Man, online dating is such a train wreck....
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

In the picture, I am standing with the father of the child (my cousin). So there's a total of 3 people in the picture. I clearly label the picture "Standing With My Cousin, Holding His Newborn".

Yes, I do not think highly of online dating. But my profiles are out there. I think the best ways to meet people for the most meaningful relationships are through the friend of friend network and your day to day activities.

I always read the labels on the pictures. Some times it gives a more clues then the picture does about the person. I can usually also get a good sense on when the picture was taken. My current profile is hidden but I have dated my pictures as well so people will not think they are old. I need some new ones though as a couple are about to hit the one year mark.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options

I thought you were 1 for 33... does that mean you don't have the best profile or pics in the WORLD?! You better fix that :wink:

I'm 4 for 30 myself in the first month...I clearly need work too, heehee...though at least it's better than the 0 for 100 I did the last time. What the heck did I change? Oh yeah, I lowered my standards, HAHA! Man, online dating is such a train wreck....

I've been told by many I have a very good or best profile they have seen. Pics who knows... I can only look like what I look like, take it or leave it. I said at "best" 1 for 15. Personally I'm about 1 for 38 now. It's a huge joke in my eyes, but at the same time I find it entertaining.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I like pics of guys with a kid (that's not theirs). If I'm interested, these pics make my ovaries quiver. :blushing:

But make sure it's not your main profile pic (because I don't read.. I just look and decide... Yeah, I'm shallow) and make sure it's labeled.
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    I like pics of guys with a kid (that's not theirs). If I'm interested, these pics make my ovaries quiver. :blushing:

But make sure it's not your main profile pic (because I don't read.. I just look and decide... Yeah, I'm shallow) and make sure it's labeled.

Yes, the pic I was referring to is not a main pic and it is labeled.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I'm still curious as to why he's listed himself as "heavyset", when he isn't.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

I don't think men really have that many options when describing their body type. He can't put Curvy or BBW down. Most men are either average, athletic and ton, slender, or heavyset.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

I don't think men really have that many options when describing their body type. He can't put Curvy or BBW down. Most men are either average, athletic and ton, slender, or heavyset.

Right, and at worst he should put down "average". He looks good to me but I'm just saying maybe a girl sees "heavyset" and passes him by before even going any further.