Stage 1

Options

Replies

• melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks ladies. Good to know I'm not alone! I definately am sore today from Mondays work but going to give it my all today. Workout B5, watch out!

GOOD LUCK MELODY!
    The shoulder presses killed me in WOB. keep us posted!

Thanks Sue! Id say that you numbers were more impressive as are you in general!
    I think you hit the nail on the head when you say that " my progress is mine" comparing yourself to others is an excesice in futility. Each workout im thinking about how stronger I can get, how I can push myself just a little bit further.
    You are very encouraging Sue.
    Enjoy your vacation and the grandkids cuz I KNOW they will get you moving!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    That's exactly it Melissa - I find myself thinking "I should be lifting .... #" My head forgets that I have a 60 year old body that has been pretty damn lazy for far too long. I'm really very happy with my numbers, as we all should be! The fact that we are all lifting heavy, especially since "science" has said women shoudl lift "barbie" weights for a whole long time. I find it very encouraging to see women of all ages, sizes and levels of fitness doing heavy lifting these days!!

I do it because I don't want to be old and staying fit is the best way to stay young!
  • kimmae17
    kimmae17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    hey there ladies, im having issues increasing my weight.

first of all i feel like im not increasing as much as i should. im on the 6th B workout of stage 1.

so i just did A today. I feel like i am stuck at around 80lbs for the squat. 75 i have good form, 80 is a little too much, and its been the same since almost the beginning!

Also i struggle with the step ups, lunges, and shoulder press. the things that i use free weights for, becuase my gym only has intervals of 5lbs up until 20, then it goes up by 10. I can shoulder press 20lb, but there is NO way i can jump straight to 30 (in each hand) Same with lunges and step ups.

any suggestions?
  • livlovra
    livlovra Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys anyone else doing it just twice a week? I am on week 4 - so tomorrow is my 8th workout - 4B I guess of stage one. Nad then it will be the hard step up to 3 sets - humm not sure I am looking forward to that.
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    hey there ladies, im having issues increasing my weight.

first of all i feel like im not increasing as much as i should. im on the 6th B workout of stage 1.

so i just did A today. I feel like i am stuck at around 80lbs for the squat. 75 i have good form, 80 is a little too much, and its been the same since almost the beginning!

Also i struggle with the step ups, lunges, and shoulder press. the things that i use free weights for, becuase my gym only has intervals of 5lbs up until 20, then it goes up by 10. I can shoulder press 20lb, but there is NO way i can jump straight to 30 (in each hand) Same with lunges and step ups.

any suggestions?

Kimmae Im not sure how you could up your squat weight BUT for the lunges and step ups you could try using the barbell. Ive switch because I cannot hold 30lbs in my hands. my grip strength isnt there yet. So if u lunge with just the oly barbell your already up to 45lbs. same with step ups. Guess I could suggest a shoulder press in that form too. Not sure what Alwyn would say about that tho :-)

The squats I think you may have to give it time.I was stuck on my overhead presses at 20lbs for a long period of time. I just could not move up. On my final B workout I tried adding 2.5 to the dumbells and found that I could lift it. It'll come by continually lifting that 85 then bam you'll be at 95

Good luck!
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    That's exactly it Melissa - I find myself thinking "I should be lifting .... #" My head forgets that I have a 60 year old body that has been pretty damn lazy for far too long. I'm really very happy with my numbers, as we all should be! The fact that we are all lifting heavy, especially since "science" has said women shoudl lift "barbie" weights for a whole long time. I find it very encouraging to see women of all ages, sizes and levels of fitness doing heavy lifting these days!!

I do it because I don't want to be old and staying fit is the best way to stay young!
    Kudos to you Suelegal. I am impressed. I thought I was the oldest at 53 doing this workout. Please continue to inspire.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it 2x a week and this is my third week.

My main struggle is determing when to push myself and when to take it easy. I have some right arm issues so when I increase weights and I'm not ready, I have trouble picking anything up for the next couple days.

The last two times I had to go to the gym in the afternoon and it was overrun with teenaged boys in the weight area. I'm so happy today I get to go in the morning!
  • jljewell
    jljewell Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was Stage 1, B1, and I have to say that I could barely do the deadlifts or lunges because my legs were still so sore from Monday's squats. Anyone else experience this? Tomorrow night is A2, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to squat.
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Hi lovely ladies

I was wondering if you could help me. I have more the opposite problem to the post above. I am not really sore anymore after my workouts. The first week I was so sore I could hardly walk but now I am not sore at all anymore. I can feel I have been working and my legs are probably a bit week and I can generally feel it in my muscles but no real soreness. Tomorrow will be A4 for me.
    I feel like I am pushing myself. I increase my weights on most exercises nearly every time. Even though I feel that my form is lacking if I go too fast. On the squats and deadlifts I can see my knees going inwards when I come up and it also seems to pull in my lower back. So on step ups I am still on BW. for example.

How about you. Did you become less sore? Am I doing something wrong? It would be great if someone could help me.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Hi lovely ladies

I was wondering if you could help me. I have more the opposite problem to the post above. I am not really sore anymore after my workouts. The first week I was so sore I could hardly walk but now I am not sore at all anymore. I can feel I have been working and my legs are probably a bit week and I can generally feel it in my muscles but no real soreness. Tomorrow will be A4 for me.
    I feel like I am pushing myself. I increase my weights on most exercises nearly every time. Even though I feel that my form is lacking if I go too fast. On the squats and deadlifts I can see my knees going inwards when I come up and it also seems to pull in my lower back. So on step ups I am still on BW. for example.

How about you. Did you become less sore? Am I doing something wrong? It would be great if someone could help me.

I did become less sore...until I added a set in Workout 5A/B. If you're pushing yourself and feel exhausted at the end of your workout, you're doing it right! No worries!

I have Workout 8A today and Workout 8B Saturday or Sunday. So excited to be done! Just in time too since I have to have a cyst removed from my shoulder next week and won't be able to lift for a few weeks.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    When I first started doing my bootcamp classes I could barely move but after my body became more familiar with the moves, it didn't hurt anymore. Now I only get sore if I use a muscle group I don't usually use in any other exercise. For the most part, as long as I feel like I've given it my full effort in the gym, it is a good workout and being sore isn't a good indicator.

I do have issues with my right forearm. Once it flares up, I have to go to lower weights , even though I can lift heavier ones. I can't tell i the gym if it is too much but later in the day, I'm unable to hold anything (like a hairbrush). If I gradually work my weights back up, I can do them without it agravating the muscle.

If you do get stiff, keep moving, drink lots of water, try to do an extra stretching session later that day and still try to do what you can in the next workout! I like putting heat on a sore part and then stretcing it. A physiotherapist I once went to said icing helps bring the swelling down and heat lets you move better and people respond better to one or the other.

In other news, I used the oly bar today for my squats and it didn't bother me :) The first time, I could barely lift it and I've been doing my squats with dumbbells since! next time I can actually add weight to it.
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I think I have completely screwed up the way this program was supposed to be done. I have done 3 sets of 15 of all the exercises from the beginning. Upping the weights as I have gone along. I have one A and One B left before my AMRAP workouts.

Is this a bad thing?
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I think I have completely screwed up the way this program was supposed to be done. I have done 3 sets of 15 of all the exercises from the beginning. Upping the weights as I have gone along. I have one A and One B left before my AMRAP workouts.

Is this a bad thing?

You didn't need to do three sets until you hit Workout 5, but kudos to you for doing more!
  • Daisy80
    Options
    Thank you for the responses! I feel better now :smile: I definitely feel like I have had a good workout once I am done. I find it hard to walk down the stairs as my legs are so weak :happy:

It's great to have this thread as I tend to worry about doing something wrong!
  • Daisy80
    Options

I did become less sore...until I added a set in Workout 5A/B. If you're pushing yourself and feel exhausted at the end of your workout, you're doing it right! No worries!

I have Workout 8A today and Workout 8B Saturday or Sunday. So excited to be done! Just in time too since I have to have a cyst removed from my shoulder next week and won't be able to lift for a few weeks.

I wish you all the best for your procedure! Will miss you on here! Maybe we will start stage 2 together then :smile:
  • coolvstar650
    coolvstar650 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,
    I started Stage One yesterday and had an amazing workout. I love this program. I did have to do a bit of shenanigans to get the equipment worked out but here is how it went.

Squat: used a 35lb Kettle bell...for some reason the guy who runs the gym didn't want me to start out using the Olympic Bar??? LAME.
    Pushup: did 45 degree ones with my BW
    Seated Row: 100lbs! (I not only impressed myself but others. lol)
    Step up: used a 20lb kettle bell in each hand and 12 inch step
    Prone Jackknife: Honestly, I chickened out doing them at the gym (I weigh over 250lbs and felt like a panda playing so I bought a Swiss ball on the way home. :)

My husband also wanted me to do some bench presses so I did
    Bench Press with Olympic bar for a total of 65lbs
    Clean and Press with 35lbs.

So that's the first day of Stage One for me.

How did your's go?
  • Daisy80
    Options
    I know what you're saying about the prone jackknifes...I always feel a bit concious doing them. It was funny when I had the trainer going through all the exercises with me I was on the ball in the starting position and he said to me:" now move you glutes up in the air." I asked:" what are my glutes?" To what he said:" It's a polite way of saying your *kitten*" :laugh:
  • curlygirly80
    Options
    I know what you're saying about the prone jackknifes...I always feel a bit concious doing them. It was funny when I had the trainer going through all the exercises with me I was on the ball in the starting position and he said to me:" now move you glutes up in the air." I asked:" what are my glutes?" To what he said:" It's a polite way of saying your *kitten*" :laugh:

I had my husband behind me recording and snapping pictures the whole time. I got off the ball, punched him in the arm and said "And that's the reason I won't go to the gym to get this crap done". I'm sure he was only recording because I was constantly falling off of the ball and for no other reason :blushing:
  • Daisy80
    Options

I had my husband behind me recording and snapping pictures the whole time. I got off the ball, punched him in the arm and said "And that's the reason I won't go to the gym to get this crap done". I'm sure he was only recording because I was constantly falling off of the ball and for no other reason :blushing:

He he! I like that! Getting off the ball is a whole other thing...I think it is the most un-elegant move I do!
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd post this, it's a comparison from the 1st time I finished Stage 1 6 months ago vs. this time. It seems easy to go up quickly at first, and then stuff starts to stagnate. I have to tell myself that this is 6 months of work, some days I feel weak in comparison to some but I tell myself to just keep on.

This is the 6 months of improvement:

Squats: 70lbs to 135lbs
    Push-ups: 8 to 8 with better form (arms totaly in, etc)
    Seated row: 130lbs to 160lbs
    Step-ups: 30lb dumbbells to 30lb dumbbells
    Prone jackknife: 15 to 10 (I have worked on the form and different body tenses, these just get harder..)
    Deadlift: 65lbs to 110lbs
    Shoulder-press: 30 lbs to 30 lbs
    Wide-grip lat pulldown: 75lbs to 80 lbs
    Swiss-ball crunch: 25 lb plate on chest vs no weight, arms extended overhead (weight on this is doing something to my back)

Bring on the next 6 months!! ;)