Stage 1

Options

Replies

• zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    So this is what I did today, my first workout. I used dumbbells, our barbell comes tomorrow.

Squats: 25 lb db
    Push ups - against counter 30 degree angle
    DB Rows - 25 lb
    Step up - used second stair at home with a 20 lb baby because he wouldn't site down.
    Reverse crunch

Does that look pretty,wimpy?

:tongue: I love how ingenious you are! (the baby) That's a good one.

Super smart! I'm totally going to do that with my kids today. :)

,He just nursed during both sets. It was too funny.
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    So this is what I did today, my first workout. I used dumbbells, our barbell comes tomorrow.

Squats: 25 lb db
    Push ups - against counter 30 degree angle
    DB Rows - 25 lb
    Step up - used second stair at home with a 20 lb baby because he wouldn't site down.
    Reverse crunch

Does that look pretty,wimpy?

If all 15 reps were tough, sounds like it was just right :).

Squats not too hard, but barbells comes tomorrow. The rows were very hard!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

((,He just nursed during both sets. It was too funny.))
    [/quote]

So you burned a LOT of calories :laugh:
  • heymom93
    heymom93 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    So technically on Wednesday I will be done with my 16 workouts in stage 1. I am planning to go another 8 because I feel like I just recently figured it all out. Know what I mean?
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    So technically on Wednesday I will be done with my 16 workouts in stage 1. I am planning to go another 8 because I feel like I just recently figured it all out. Know what I mean?

I definitely know what you mean. I will finish stage 1 this week, too. I'm going to take the next week off, then do some extra stage one workouts before I start stage 2.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Mmm. I just did 2B.
    Pretty nice.

I noticed my lunge balance was greatly improved from last time, so I must be doing something right! :)
  • Snapplejac
    Snapplejac Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any idea of how to increase the weights for the step ups? I need to up my weights I think, but the handheld dumbbells only go up to 10kg? I don't want to step up with a long bar across my shoulder - I'd struggle to get more than 25kg over my head anyway!

Also, how high are you all stepping?
  • Jessica1274
    Options
    Does anyone have any idea of how to increase the weights for the step ups? I need to up my weights I think, but the handheld dumbbells only go up to 10kg? I don't want to step up with a long bar across my shoulder - I'd struggle to get more than 25kg over my head anyway!

Also, how high are you all stepping?

Currently about 14 inches.

You can get dumbells heavier. We have 35lb upstairs. I believe that's somewhere around 15-16 kg? The gym has up to 100+ lbs.
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Quote:
    my biggest weakness is shoulder press, but I expected it - my lower body has always been way stronger than my upper body. I can only do 3kg each hand and that with a big struggle at the end of a second set.
    [/quote]

Shoulder presses are my biggest weakness too. Particularly my left shoulder. Frustrating! But, even that's improved during the stage, so hang in there--it will get better!

To the poster who asked about how high the step should be--your hip thigh should be at a right angle to your body when your foot is up on the step--I use an aerobics step with 5 risers. Some people go higher, though. And as for raising the weights--I found heavier kettle bells in my gym. I tried the bar on my shoulders, but (like you) I found it nearly impossible to raise over my head! Kind of scary, actually.

So, I'm techically onto the AMRAPs this week. But....I think I'm just going to do another workout for A and B and skip the AMRAPs. I'll post my results at the end of the week. Then I'm definitely taking a rest week before moving onto stage 2!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    8A completed today :bigsmile:

Increased several

squats 45 > 50 pounds

pushups 36 inch > 24 inch step
    seated row 96 >108 (only could do one set at 108 . dropped back down to 96)

set ups 24 inch step and 24 pounds (decreased weight last time so I could increase height)
    jack knife no problems
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Quote:
    my biggest weakness is shoulder press, but I expected it - my lower body has always been way stronger than my upper body. I can only do 3kg each hand and that with a big struggle at the end of a second set.

Shoulder presses are my biggest weakness too. Particularly my left shoulder. Frustrating! But, even that's improved during the stage, so hang in there--it will get better!

To the poster who asked about how high the step should be--your hip thigh should be at a right angle to your body when your foot is up on the step--I use an aerobics step with 5 risers. Some people go higher, though. And as for raising the weights--I found heavier kettle bells in my gym. I tried the bar on my shoulders, but (like you) I found it nearly impossible to raise over my head! Kind of scary, actually.

So, I'm techically onto the AMRAPs this week. But....I think I'm just going to do another workout for A and B and skip the AMRAPs. I'll post my results at the end of the week. Then I'm definitely taking a rest week before moving onto stage 2!

how about putting the step inside the rack and pulling the bar off at squat height?
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the steps in my gym. There has to be something wrong with them, they just don't make sense to me. They have like... these little ridges beneath them, but I can't figure out how to lock them once they're extended. LOL. I've broken two trying to pull the angled legs out far enough (sssssh)

What's the best substitute? Is it a faux pas to use a bench? ;)

Currently, as I am too daft to use the steps (they're not the kind with the colored risers) I use the spotting station behind a a shoulder press bench. LOL. Terrible, I know.
  • Jessica1274
    Options
    I don't understand the steps in my gym. There has to be something wrong with them, they just don't make sense to me. They have like... these little ridges beneath them, but I can't figure out how to lock them once they're extended. LOL. I've broken two trying to pull the angled legs out far enough (sssssh)

Currently, as I am too daft to use the steps (they're not the kind with the colored risers) I use the spotting station behind a a shoulder press bench. LOL. Terrible, I know.

Not terrible at all. Lots of people use a bench.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Benches are good. They're a great height. I've used the spotting station when I couldn't find anything else but it's pretty low (the one I used anyways).

My back is pretty sore today. I decided I would go from deadlifting 70lbs to 95 lbs (reps went from 15 to 12) because I wasn't struggling to finish 70 like I was in the other exercises. It felt as tough as it should this time but my lower back is paying for it -- I'm not dying but I'm definately sore!
  • Snapplejac
    Snapplejac Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely have a look around the gym and see what else I can find!
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Completed A3 last night

I increased all the weights except for the step-ups... since I just figured out that I'm supposed to do the reps on each leg. I couldn't do it straight through. I had to take my 60 second rest in between leg changes (i.e., steps on left leg, rest, then right leg). Is that acceptable? I was holding 25lb dbs, btw. I planned on lowering the weight for the second set so I can go from one leg to the other, but the 20s are always gone.

Overall, great progress.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Completed A3 last night

I increased all the weights except for the step-ups... since I just figured out that I'm supposed to do the reps on each leg. I couldn't do it straight through. I had to take my 60 second rest in between leg changes (i.e., steps on left leg, rest, then right leg). Is that acceptable? I was holding 25lb dbs, btw. I planned on lowering the weight for the second set so I can go from one leg to the other, but the 20s are always gone.

Overall, great progress.

25lbs is hardcore! I did A3 Friday with 8lb dumbbells and it's a struggle to finish (stepping up maybe 18 inches). I think the 60 sec rest is completely fine.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    25 lb DB's is a pretty serious weight, if you ask me. In Stage 1!! You are either FREAKISHLY STRONG or you aren't on a very high step....I'll accept either one as a reason, lol.

Wow. 25's. Good for you!!
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    25 lb DB's is a pretty serious weight, if you ask me. In Stage 1!! You are either FREAKISHLY STRONG or you aren't on a very high step....I'll accept either one as a reason, lol.

LOL... thanks ladies... I'm stepping on a bench. I definitely feel like my fingers are going to be ripped off my hands. My legs have always been good to me... the rest is pathetic. The 25s were definitely unplanned. I found 15s too light. But maybe I'll just stick with 25s for a while. My trainer used to have me do farmers walks with 30s.... and wheelbarrows (holding his legs and he walked on his hands... he is dang heavy!)
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

LOL... thanks ladies... I'm stepping on a bench. I definitely feel like my fingers are going to be ripped off my hands. My legs have always been good to me... the rest is pathetic. The 25s were definitely unplanned. I found 15s too light. But maybe I'll just stick with 25s for a while. My trainer used to have to do farmers walks with 30s.... and wheelbarrows (holding his legs and he walked on his hands... he is dang heavy!)

I have suffered repetitive stress injuries in both hands/thumbs, so my grip is very weak. I know that I will fail with grip before I fail with weight. I found I had to switch to one of shorter bars at the gym (mine has 25# and 30#), and load it up to 50#, holding it in front of the shoulders instead of letting dumbbells hang down -- my thumbs just couldn't hold the weight. Also you could try holding the dumbbells up, in a curl position, or resting then on your shoulders if you don't want to move to the bar. I want to try pulling the regular 45# bar off the rack onto the back of my shoulders for step-ups next time, inside the rack.