Options

Replies

• Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Done with Stage 1! :bigsmile:

My progress went from

45 lbs > 105 lbs Deadlifts

15 lb db > 20 lb db DB Shoulder Presses (just could not manage to progress too much :frown: )

40 lbs > 70 lbs Wide-grip lat pulldown

15 lb db > 30 lb db Lunges

Finished up Swiss ball crunches with an overhead 20 lb. weight.

I'm pretty pleased with myself and will take measurements tomorrow morning to see how that progressed. I won't be doing AMRAP, so I'll start Stage 2 on Monday. I'm looking forward to it!:happy:
  • mommyRN0811
    mommyRN0811 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone...
    I started workouts A1 and B1 over the weekend (Fri/Sun). My initial reaction was "that was quick" because I finished in less than 30 minutes. Normally when I go to my "weights" part of my workout, I'm at the gym for at least an hour (because I'm doing so many different lifts). But after reading everyone's posts here, I think I didn't put enough weights??? Even though I put at least 5 lbs heavier than what I would have been comfortable with. They were difficult and I was sweating, but I don't know if I'm doing this right.

What were your starting weights?

This is what I did:
    Squats - I did this on that machine with 35 lbs on each side (is that 70 then?)
    Seated Row - 40lbs
    Push-ups - on the bench (I'll try to just suck it up and go to the floor next time)
    Step up - 15 lbs (step class bench - not sure how high it was)
    Prone jackknife - who invented that???

Deadlift - 30 lbs (normally would only do 20). I'm too scared to pick up the 45 bar... :/
    Shoulder Press - 12lbs ( normally 8)
    Lat pull down - 35 lbs
    Lunge - 20 lbs (this was hard... I thought my left knee was going to give out)
    Swiss ball crunch (25 lb plate) - I actually did 20 each set b/c I didn't look at my notes and assumed 15, but it took forever to get the ball in the right position, so I just kept going...

In the book it also mentions AMRAPs --- is that at the end of every workout or after workout 8?

Thanks all
    Newbie :)

I started today! Here is what I did.

Squats - 35 lbs for total of 70 (my gym only has a smith press)
    Seated Row - 75 lbs
    Push-ups - I did modified with knees
    Step up - I had 2 blocks under each side of the step and did 25 lb db in each hand.
    Prone jackknife - who invented that??? <--- agreed.

I had the same feeling as you. I felt like I hadn't really completed a workout. I will be singing a different tune tomorrow.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Today was not a good day. My body would NOT cooperate. I feel like the workout was useless.

6B
    dead lifts killed me to do 80lb but I made it all 3 sets.

Shoulder dumbbell presses 8lbs!!! :happy: Slowly but surely working on that right shoulder.

lat wide grip 72lbs and had to decrease to 60 on the last 1 1/2 set.

lunges 12.5 pounds . next round I'll increase to 15.

Crunches-- I could NOT do. I had severe pain in the lower left quadrant of the abdomen. Every time I pulled myself up it felt like I was tearing the muscle apart. I completed one set, and realized if I didn't want to further injure myself I better stop.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone...
    I started workouts A1 and B1 over the weekend (Fri/Sun). My initial reaction was "that was quick" because I finished in less than 30 minutes. Normally when I go to my "weights" part of my workout, I'm at the gym for at least an hour (because I'm doing so many different lifts). But after reading everyone's posts here, I think I didn't put enough weights??? Even though I put at least 5 lbs heavier than what I would have been comfortable with. They were difficult and I was sweating, but I don't know if I'm doing this right.

What were your starting weights?

This is what I did:
    Squats - I did this on that machine with 35 lbs on each side (is that 70 then?)
    Seated Row - 40lbs
    Push-ups - on the bench (I'll try to just suck it up and go to the floor next time)
    Step up - 15 lbs (step class bench - not sure how high it was)
    Prone jackknife - who invented that???

Deadlift - 30 lbs (normally would only do 20). I'm too scared to pick up the 45 bar... :/
    Shoulder Press - 12lbs ( normally 8)
    Lat pull down - 35 lbs
    Lunge - 20 lbs (this was hard... I thought my left knee was going to give out)
    Swiss ball crunch (25 lb plate) - I actually did 20 each set b/c I didn't look at my notes and assumed 15, but it took forever to get the ball in the right position, so I just kept going...

In the book it also mentions AMRAPs --- is that at the end of every workout or after workout 8?

Thanks all
    Newbie :)

I also started last week (and am also an accountant). I finished 2a today and like you, I walk out feeling like I haven't done enough. I just keep telling myself this is a mental hurdle to get over and a lot of the stuff I normally do was basically wasting time. I felt like I was at the right weight -- those last few reps were HARD.

I do a lot less than you guys on step ups and lunges. I've only got 5lb weights (each hand) for both and I'm struggling at the end! How high are you guys stepping? It actually is a good thing for me b/c I have a long way to go (and have lost SO much strength).
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

I started today! Here is what I did.

Squats - 35 lbs for total of 70 (my gym only has a smith press)
    Seated Row - 75 lbs
    Push-ups - I did modified with knees
    Step up - I had 2 blocks under each side of the step and did 25 lb db in each hand.
    Prone jackknife - who invented that??? <--- agreed.

I had the same feeling as you. I felt like I hadn't really completed a workout. I will be singing a different tune tomorrow.

Thanks! I definitely need to up the weights after seeing yours.... LOL... Today is a rest day for me... so I'm back to workout A tomorrow.
  • cpa8198
    Options
    I also started last week (and am also an accountant). I finished 2a today and like you, I walk out feeling like I haven't done enough. I just keep telling myself this is a mental hurdle to get over and a lot of the stuff I normally do was basically wasting time. I felt like I was at the right weight -- those last few reps were HARD.

I do a lot less than you guys on step ups and lunges. I've only got 5lb weights (each hand) for both and I'm struggling at the end! How high are you guys stepping? It actually is a good thing for me b/c I have a long way to go (and have lost SO much strength).

I'm so glad that it's not just me. I have concerns about lifting really heavy weights and hurting myself - so I started out going "just a little more"... but maybe not the right way to go. Except for the lunges and the prone jackknives - I didn't really struggle. (LOL.... I'm so used to my comfort zone... now I'm looking for challenge... weird...)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I have finished stage 1. I am going to take measurements tomorrow morning, and in the evening I will do both AMRAPs to see how much I have improved and I KNOW it has been SO much. My guy says he thinks my thighs are smaller, and since I am a pear - that would be fabulous if my trouble area has shown any movement. :smile: we will see with the measurements.
  • jnh17
    Options
    I have finished stage 1. I am going to take measurements tomorrow morning, and in the evening I will do both AMRAPs to see how much I have improved and I KNOW it has been SO much. My guy says he thinks my thighs are smaller, and since I am a pear - that would be fabulous if my trouble area has shown any movement. :smile: we will see with the measurements.

I'll be interested to see! I only took thigh and waste measurements when I started (and I picture). Did you workout before you started the program?
  • sarah44254
    Options
    Yes I have been using mfp and working out since December 2010. I lost 25 lbs in the first 6 months, gained about 10 back, then have hovered around that for the past 3-4 months. I am still in my size 4-6 pants even though I am 5'4" and 150ish, which is crazy because when I was a kid at that weight I was wearing 16s.
  • cpa8198
    Options
    OK... I have another question...

Is there something wrong with using the smith machine to do the squats? I've been on two separate threads and some posters have very negative comments to say about the machine. Thoughts anyone?
  • sarah44254
    Options
    I decided not to do the AMRAP workouts since seeing my results listed out today. I feel much better about my progress even though overall I gained a little weight.

From March 16, 2012 to April 24, 2012

weight: 148.4 lbs to 150.8

measurements (all in inches)

chest under breast from 30 to 30.5

chest over breast from 34.5 to34

right bicep from 12 to 12

left bicep from 11.5 to 12

waist from 29 to 28

hip at bum from 42 to 40.5

hip 2 inch below navel from 38.5 to 36

right thigh from 25.5 to 25.5

left thigh from 25.5 to 25.5

neck from 13 to 12.5

right calf from 16.5 to 16

left calf from 16 to 16

shoulder width from 19 to 19
    Weights and exercises

Squat - from 30lb to 120lbs!

Deadlift - from 40 lbs to 125 lbs!

Dumbbell shoulder press from 25lbs to 50lbs :D

Wide grip Lat pulldown from 40lbs to 80lbs

Pushup from crappy form knees on floor hands elevated to feet on bench inclined pushups!

Seated row from 40 lbs to 85lbs!

Step up from 20lbs to 60lbs with knee lift at top

Lunge from 30lbs to 60lbs

Crunch from struggling with 8 to blasting through 15

Prone Jackknife from crappy form and not doing any to doing 12 with great form!
  • sarah44254
    Options
    OK... I have another question...

Is there something wrong with using the smith machine to do the squats? I've been on two separate threads and some posters have very negative comments to say about the machine. Thoughts anyone?

smith machine controls your form and doesn't allow your body to do what feels natural. you will increase your stability and balance if you do NOT use a smith machine. Also with a smith machine I feel like it is an artificial weight increase - say you put 60 lbs on there and feel amazing. but if you tried 60lbs on a squat rack and couldn't do one rep, that would be because you do not have the control / balance that the squat rack forces you to develop. I have heard some folks claim that the smith machine allows a range of motion that is unnatural to us, so it is training you to bend and squat in ways that are not good for joints and muscles.
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Awesome, Sarah!

Thank you for posting your progress and measurements. It helps me stay motivated by knowing many are having success!
  • cpa8198
    Options
    @Sarah... all I can say is WOW!!!!

(and thanks for the smith machine reply... that makes sense... I'll brave the squat rack tonight... if I can shoo the men away from it.)
  • mommyRN0811
    mommyRN0811 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had the same question about a smith press. My gym doesn't have a squat rack, it only has the smith press. It has stoppers you can use though. I have a weight bench at home I could use but I would have to modify some of the other moves. Does anyone else do this at home and how do you modify or have you had success with the smith press. It seemed a little akward feeling when I was using it.
  • coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    Options
    Unfortunately, I had my first run-in with sexism at the gym. I was on the lat-pull down, doing 85lbs. I can only manage about 6 reps at 85lbs, but there next weight down is 70lbs, and I can breeze through 8 reps at that. And the whole point of NROLW is challenging yourself, right? So I'm doing my 6th rep of my first set and really struggling to get it done, but managed. This guy, who was just sitting on one of the nearby weight machines, looks at me and says, "That's too heavy." I wasn't sure if he was talking to me (since most people in my gym tend to mind their own business, and usually all I get asked is "Are you done with the rack?") so I looked back at him and sure enough, he was looking me in the eye and repeated, "Too heavy for you." Of course it's too heavy - that's the point! And the guy next to you just nearly dropped a dumbbell on his foot but I don't see you correcting him. That was my last rep and I just finished 3 sets of deadlifts, of course I'm struggling. Heck, it's a lat pull down, it's not even like I can hurt myself with it.

I ignored him, finished my work-out, and later saw him struggling with a rep on a leg press machine and bit my tongue so I wouldn't say, "That's too heavy for you."
  • jnh17
    Options
    Unfortunately, I had my first run-in with sexism at the gym. I was on the lat-pull down, doing 85lbs. I can only manage about 6 reps at 85lbs, but there next weight down is 70lbs, and I can breeze through 8 reps at that. And the whole point of NROLW is challenging yourself, right? So I'm doing my 6th rep of my first set and really struggling to get it done, but managed. This guy, who was just sitting on one of the nearby weight machines, looks at me and says, "That's too heavy." I wasn't sure if he was talking to me (since most people in my gym tend to mind their own business, and usually all I get asked is "Are you done with the rack?") so I looked back at him and sure enough, he was looking me in the eye and repeated, "Too heavy for you." Of course it's too heavy - that's the point! And the guy next to you just nearly dropped a dumbbell on his foot but I don't see you correcting him. That was my last rep and I just finished 3 sets of deadlifts, of course I'm struggling. Heck, it's a lat pull down, it's not even like I can hurt myself with it.

I ignored him, finished my work-out, and later saw him struggling with a rep on a leg press machine and bit my tongue so I wouldn't say, "That's too heavy for you."

I'd be pissed!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    I don't get offended too easily. I would have thought he was just looking out for me. Then again, I am awfully naive :tongue:

Edited because of my poor grammar.
  • coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    Options
    I would have thought that, but like I said, it's really hard to hurt yourself with a lat pull down and he didn't comment on any of the men struggling with their last reps. And since I saw him later struggling with his reps, I know he knows what it's like to have to push through that last 1 or 2.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    No way I would've held my tongue! I would've said exactly what you were thinking, plus some. :laugh: