Stage 1

Options

Replies

• leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Quick question for you guys - I finished workouts 1A & 1B, and am about to move on to 2A. When going to 2A, did you use the same weights as in 1A? I see that the following workout 3A calls for less reps (12 instead of 15), which is where I thought would be a good transition point to use heavier weights. Anyone else doing the same?

Body wise, I am sore all over.. My butt/quads/triceps in particular do not like me very much right now. I guess I don't want to risk over-training I guess?
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    @leomentlines --- I think you just have to see how you feel when you start the workout. If you do put more weight on and it's too heavy, you can always go down (or, likewise, up if you feel you can do more). But form is really important, so if you feel like you'll sacrifice form by going heavier (not getting all the way down on squats, for example), stick with the same weight. Someone on this thread (sleepytexan?) does warm-up sets with a slightly lower weight than she used for the last workout, then one set at the same weight she used for the last workout, THEN she goes up. You could try that... Good luck, and welcome to the workout and the thread!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    @leomentlines --- I think you just have to see how you feel when you start the workout. If you do put more weight on and it's too heavy, you can always go down (or, likewise, up if you feel you can do more). But form is really important, so if you feel like you'll sacrifice form by going heavier (not getting all the way down on squats, for example), stick with the same weight. Someone on this thread (sleepytexan?) does warm-up sets with a slightly lower weight than she used for the last workout, then one set at the same weight she used for the last workout, THEN she goes up. You could try that... Good luck, and welcome to the workout and the thread!

What she said^
    I think this is really how your body feels. If you feel like you can up your weights then you should. If you were struggling to finish the sets then you should probably stay with those weights. Definitely work on form before adding weight if there are any exercises you think you could work on.
    I also start with a warm up set of squats or deadlifts of lower weight before doing my real sets.
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options

sounds like the smith machine. no bueno. I started on a 3D smith machine, but found many posts on here, stronglifts and all over the internet that Smith machines are bad news.

The fixed ones can force you into an unnatural position on your squats, causing knee and/or back pain. The 3D ones, while they do allow for greater range of motion are still limiting your improvement because you are not having to stabilize the weight yourself. Depending on the smith machine you have, the bar is either 25 or 35#, but it also has a hydraulic lift in addition to the stabilization, so your efforts are 43% less effective, not to mention lighter than the Olympic bar.

Often women have a hard time doing squats bc their gastrocnemius (calf) muscle is shortenened from wearing heels and/or lack of flexibility. You CAN get it back though. My workout partner struggled with this, but get off the Smith and into the power or squat cage, use the empty olympic bar and progress slowly. Focus on form. My partner is now hitting 100# full, low squats and no more problems with her heels lifting.

Also -- check out stronglifts.com recommendations for lowbar placement of the bar -- it helps you become more stable than high bar placement and it's more comfortable too.

blessings.

Well now I feel bummed. I was happy because I felt more stable and like I was accomplishing more. Now... :-( sigh.

I feel like I'm going in circles.

Oh I'm sorry, don't be bummed! Better to switch now to free weights and empty Olympic so you can really get the maximum benefit. You will progress really quickly and you will actually do more good on the free weights empty bar than on the Smith loaded.

I had the same feeling bc the first time I went into the free weights part of the gym and asked a trainer, he immediately put me on the Smith. I found later that they typically steer the girls that way. The trainer said the same thing to me: "start here until you feel stable". I even saw a female PT squatting there the other day!

Anyway, here's a link to read:

http://stronglifts.com/smith-machine-squats-power-rack-free-weights/

Good article.

It's just frustrating. Two steps forward, one step back. Which is better than one forward and two back, but it is annoying nonetheless. :grumble:

Glad there was someone else out there like me! I'll be trying again without the Smith machine next week.

Today my lower half is still super sore (to the point I'm walking a bit funny). Should I put off 1B for a few days or press on? :indifferent:
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    If you're that sore, I'd give it a little more time for your muscles to recover.

You can still do other things like walking, running, etc to be active. It might help work the soreness out,too.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Thanks All. I am ready for my last B workout tonight.
  • jingoace
    jingoace Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have finished Stage 1 this week! YEAH! I'm not going to do the final AMRAP workouts because I'm scheduled to have Euflexxa injected into my knee joint next week. Instead of 1 week off, I think it'll be three weeks off. So, do I start over with stage 1 or should I start stage 2 in 3 weeks? what to do, what to do?

I am Very impressed with the inches lost so far! and my musculature FEELS stronger overall... so I definitely want to keep lifting!!!

I'll be Back!
    :) J
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Quick question for you guys - I finished workouts 1A & 1B, and am about to move on to 2A. When going to 2A, did you use the same weights as in 1A? I see that the following workout 3A calls for less reps (12 instead of 15), which is where I thought would be a good transition point to use heavier weights. Anyone else doing the same?

Body wise, I am sore all over.. My butt/quads/triceps in particular do not like me very much right now. I guess I don't want to risk over-training I guess?

I finished 1A yesterday. I struggled on the last couple of reps but I'm still going to go up for sure in step ups (even though those were the ones I was praying to Baby Jesus to help me with finishing) because I want it to be that hard EVERY time. Seated rows only allow me to go up by 10lbs and I don't think I'm ready to do that AND finish 15 reps.

I barely finished my pushups (I don't know the degree of elevation but it was about 2.5 inches) so I'll do the same. I know I can do 12 regular pushups so when it gets to 8, I'll have to increase the difficulty (crazy!).
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

I finished 1A yesterday. I struggled on the last couple of reps but I'm still going to go up for sure in step ups (even though those were the ones I was praying to Baby Jesus to help me with finishing) because I want it to be that hard EVERY time. Seated rows only allow me to go up by 10lbs and I don't think I'm ready to do that AND finish 15 reps.

I barely finished my pushups (I don't know the degree of elevation but it was about 2.5 inches) so I'll do the same. I know I can do 12 regular pushups so when it gets to 8, I'll have to increase the difficulty (crazy!).

Look or ask around the gym for a 5# slotted weight that sits on top of the brick weights.
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    My gym doesn't seem to have one of those little slotted 5lb weights, and I wants one! Just thought I'd share :)
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Hi! I'm just checking... from the way you worded this question, did you do 1A & 1B eight times each like the stage suggests?
    I was incredibly sore in week 1 but it has been better this week. I expect to be sore throughout the program though since we need to keep challenging ourselves!

Stretch before and after... especially AFTER! I forgot about that for a few workouts :embarassed:
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options

I'm struggling with the 45 degree angle pushups! I'm on 4B so I have some faith that I'll get there by the end of Stage 1!!!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

I'm struggling with the 45 degree angle pushups! I'm on 4B so I have some faith that I'll get there by the end of Stage 1!!!

I started a push up app on my phone in January. I literally could do 1 push up in a row. I worked up to being able to do about 13 in a row and about 75 total. That's the only reason I'm able to do the protocal!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    5B completed

deadlifts 75lbs>80
    lunges 12lbs>12.5
    crunch 10lb plate>12.5 dumbbell
    wide grip lat pull down 60 lbs> 72. I could only do five 72 lbs in each set and then had to drop back down to 60.

AND my greatest success :
    shoulder press 3lbs> 5 pounds. I can lift 15 on my left shoulder but due to the nerve damage in right shoulder, I stick with the same weight until I get stronger on the right side. I'm proud of this #. Years ago I never thought I would see an improvement.

I know I have been discouraged. Had my ups and downs . Today I felt so strong like I could accomplish anything. I even felt "skinny" while jogging. I am sure I'll have another down day. BUT TODAY WAS GREAT!
  • kcfaber
    kcfaber Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Manic: Great progress! Glad you're feeling better about things. Keep it up!!!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    @Mary (manic) - great progess! Glad you had a good day today - those are the ones that make it all worth it.
  • lmurphy12
    Options
    Hi there, just started and will begin phase 1 2A tmrw.

My gym doesn't have an Olympic barbell, do I used the smith machine for my squats and dumb bells today for the deadlifts but found the deadlifts a little awkward.

Anyone have a suggestion for deadlifts apart from dumb bells.

The reason my gym doesn't have Olympic barbells, they don't want to encourage extreme body building, I was like Huh??
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    My gym doesn't seem to have one of those little slotted 5lb weights, and I wants one! Just thought I'd share :)

wow, too bad. try asking the manager to get some -- 10# is a pretty big jump, especially as you get higher!

maybe you could balance a powder-coated 5# dumbell (or even 3#, whatever) across the top of the weight bricks? or maybe use one of those 5# velcro band ankle weights? you could strap it on the top . . .
  • sleepytexan
    Options

My gym doesn't have an Olympic barbell, do I used the smith machine for my squats and dumb bells today for the deadlifts but found the deadlifts a little awkward.

The reason my gym doesn't have Olympic barbells, they don't want to encourage extreme body building, I was like Huh??

that stinks. Smith machines are bad news though for squats and deadlifts. Can you go to another gym? If not, check stronglifts.com for alternatives and squatting without a rack.

good luck.
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

that stinks. Smith machines are bad news though for squats and deadlifts. Can you go to another gym? If not, check stronglifts.com for alternatives and squatting without a rack.

good luck.

Wait, What??! Those machines are bad for squats? Why? What are you supposed to use?
    My gym doesn't have an olympic barbell either, and I live in a small town (but actually have a super nice gym!) so I have no where else to go : (