Stage 1

Options

Replies

• coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    Options
    I attempted push-ups with my toes on a Bosu today. First set I managed six. Second set I got three, before my arms said "Hell with that, you're on your own!" Finished the set as regular push-ups. But 3 is better than nothing!

I've got one more work out (8B) in stage one. I don't know if I'll bother with the Special Workouts, I think I'll add in a third work out at this level then take my week off. Since I know I wasn't pushing myself as hard as I could have been in the beginning, one extra A and one extra B will make up for that a little.
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Did workout 1A last night. Thighs are feeling it from the squats! My question is:

I've never been able to do a squat properly. Not sure why but I topple over like a weeble. So, my trainer suggested I use a bar mounted on a pulley system. It's designed for people who are bench pressing to have a guide and notches to get the bar into if no one is spotting them. So, I did my squats last light on the mounted bar with no additional weight. I recorded it as bodyweight but do you think the bar actually adds some weight like an olympic bar does? :ohwell: :flowerforyou:
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Did workout 1A last night. Thighs are feeling it from the squats! My question is:

I've never been able to do a squat properly. Not sure why but I topple over like a weeble. So, my trainer suggested I use a bar mounted on a pulley system. It's designed for people who are bench pressing to have a guide and notches to get the bar into if no one is spotting them. So, I did my squats last light on the mounted bar with no additional weight. I recorded it as bodyweight but do you think the bar actually adds some weight like an olympic bar does? :ohwell: :flowerforyou:

This sounds like my mistake of using a Smith machine. Here's one of the links I found with an explanation of why this is risky & not recommended for squats: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/9-least-effective-exercises?page=2
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Interesting.... Wonder why the trainer would suggest that if it were dangerous? So your butt is supposed to stick out behind you? How do you not "weeble"?
  • coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    Options
    Interesting.... Wonder why the trainer would suggest that if it were dangerous? So your butt is supposed to stick out behind you? How do you not "weeble"?

I don't know if you're using weights or not at this point, but if you are, I'd suggest going to body weight only squats for a little while until you get your form. A lot of muscles come into play to stabilize you during a squat (which is why it's such an effective exercise). As you're descending, focus on keeping yourself balanced in the center of your foot, not rocked forward on your toe or back on your heels. At what point during the movement do you find yourself losing your balance?
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options

Yes, your butt is supposed to stick out behind you. Have you watched any videos on proper squat form? and definitely work on proper form without weights, be sure to use a mirror or have someome watch you.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

Below is an excellent video from the stronglifts guy on not only how to do the proper form, but WHY. I had been only doing 3/4 squats before watching this video, and wow what a difference to do it correctly.

Also, the stronglifts guy recommends lowbar place ment (powerlifiting) instead of high bar placement (Olympic). Notice where he puts the bar on his back (there's also a separate article on the website that discusses this). Low bar is so much more comfortable and stable for me; also, as he says, I do not need the "sissy pad" and my neck does not hurt.

I'm up to 100# squats now, low, full squats, and low bar placements. actually in today's workout, my partner and I did 5 x 5 instead of 3 x 8. We liked it better. We have 3 NROL workouts left in stage 1, but then we're switching to stronglifts.

blessings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VnV7vEi7Sz8

blessings.
  • sleepytexan
    Options

sounds like the smith machine. no bueno. I started on a 3D smith machine, but found many posts on here, stronglifts and all over the internet that Smith machines are bad news.

The fixed ones can force you into an unnatural position on your squats, causing knee and/or back pain. The 3D ones, while they do allow for greater range of motion are still limiting your improvement because you are not having to stabilize the weight yourself. Depending on the smith machine you have, the bar is either 25 or 35#, but it also has a hydraulic lift in addition to the stabilization, so your efforts are 43% less effective, not to mention lighter than the Olympic bar.

Often women have a hard time doing squats bc their gastrocnemius (calf) muscle is shortenened from wearing heels and/or lack of flexibility. You CAN get it back though. My workout partner struggled with this, but get off the Smith and into the power or squat cage, use the empty olympic bar and progress slowly. Focus on form. My partner is now hitting 100# full, low squats and no more problems with her heels lifting.

Also -- check out stronglifts.com recommendations for lowbar placement of the bar -- it helps you become more stable than high bar placement and it's more comfortable too.

blessings.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Hi ladies,

I ordered some fractional weight plates last night from Amazon, so looking forward to those arriving next week!

7A today.

SQUATS: stayed at 100# and tried out the stronglifts 5 x 5 instead of NROL 3 x 8. Liked it better; will go up next time by 5#

SEATED ROW: 110# 3 x 8

STEP UP: (Reebok step + 3 risers): I was losing my grip on the left hand last time with the 25# dumbells, so decided to try an Oly bar today; liked it! 1 x 8 empty Oly 30#, 2 x 8 added weight to 50#

PRONE JACKKNIFE: 3 x 15.

So . . . Saturday's 7B workout . . . I'm thinking of going up by 10# on deadlifts to 90#, and doing just 1 set of 5, as per stronglifts instead of 3 x 8 and increasing by 5. Just to see . . . stronglifts has faster weight progression, but fewer reps. 5 x 5 on most things with a 5# increase each time, but 10# increases on deadlift at only 1 x 5. We'll see.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    @sleepytexan - not that I want you to leave, but I just found a stronglifts group on here for women. Might be good to have the extra support if that's what you plan on doing after new rules.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options

sounds like the smith machine. no bueno. I started on a 3D smith machine, but found many posts on here, stronglifts and all over the internet that Smith machines are bad news.

The fixed ones can force you into an unnatural position on your squats, causing knee and/or back pain. The 3D ones, while they do allow for greater range of motion are still limiting your improvement because you are not having to stabilize the weight yourself. Depending on the smith machine you have, the bar is either 25 or 35#, but it also has a hydraulic lift in addition to the stabilization, so your efforts are 43% less effective, not to mention lighter than the Olympic bar.

Often women have a hard time doing squats bc their gastrocnemius (calf) muscle is shortenened from wearing heels and/or lack of flexibility. You CAN get it back though. My workout partner struggled with this, but get off the Smith and into the power or squat cage, use the empty olympic bar and progress slowly. Focus on form. My partner is now hitting 100# full, low squats and no more problems with her heels lifting.

Also -- check out stronglifts.com recommendations for lowbar placement of the bar -- it helps you become more stable than high bar placement and it's more comfortable too.

blessings.

Well now I feel bummed. I was happy because I felt more stable and like I was accomplishing more. Now... :-( sigh.

I feel like I'm going in circles.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    @sleepytexan - not that I want you to leave, but I just found a stronglifts group on here for women. Might be good to have the extra support if that's what you plan on doing after new rules.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

thank you, yes, I have joined it :)
  • sleepytexan
    Options

blessings.

Well now I feel bummed. I was happy because I felt more stable and like I was accomplishing more. Now... :-( sigh.

Oh I'm sorry, don't be bummed! Better to switch now to free weights and empty Olympic so you can really get the maximum benefit. You will progress really quickly and you will actually do more good on the free weights empty bar than on the Smith loaded.

I had the same feeling bc the first time I went into the free weights part of the gym and asked a trainer, he immediately put me on the Smith. I found later that they typically steer the girls that way. The trainer said the same thing to me: "start here until you feel stable". I even saw a female PT squatting there the other day!

Anyway, here's a link to read:

http://stronglifts.com/smith-machine-squats-power-rack-free-weights/
  • Jessica1274
    Options

blessings.

Oh I'm sorry, don't be bummed! Better to switch now to free weights and empty Olympic so you can really get the maximum benefit. You will progress really quickly and you will actually do more good on the free weights empty bar than on the Smith loaded.

I had the same feeling bc the first time I went into the free weights part of the gym and asked a trainer, he immediately put me on the Smith. I found later that they typically steer the girls that way. The trainer said the same thing to me: "start here until you feel stable". I even saw a female PT squatting there the other day!

Anyway, here's a link to read:

http://stronglifts.com/smith-machine-squats-power-rack-free-weights/

Good article.

It's just frustrating. Two steps forward, one step back. Which is better than one forward and two back, but it is annoying nonetheless. :grumble:
  • sleepytexan
    Options

Good article.

It's just frustrating. Two steps forward, one step back. Which is better than one forward and two back, but it is annoying nonetheless. :grumble:

I know. baby steps. I had the same thing, Smith to Free, deloaded and worked back up. then found out I wasn't squatting right, had to deload again and work on form. With deadlifts found out I needed to stack plates to bring the barbell up to proper height, but they were slipping off on the way down so I was compromising form on the way down too slowly . . . eventually someone said put towels on the stacked plates, voila!

I'm sure I'll keep finding out ways to improve, and that things I've been doing aren't ideal, but it's ok; we'll get there.

Here's a link to technique vids on many exercises:

http://www.youtube.com/stronglifts

blessings.
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm new to the group and I did 3A today. Feeling stronger already :happy:

I watched a stronglifts video yesterday about squats and realized that I hadn't been going "past parallel". Today I did that and the whole exercise felt better. Still bloody hard, but better! I'm not up to using the bar yet, I'm using a 20# kettle bell in each hand so I think I'll be ready to use the olympic bar by 5A.
    My push ups are pathetic. Still doing them on a 45. I'm hopeful though!!!

Great to see the progress that others have made, thanks for the inspiration! :flowerforyou:
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I watched a stronglifts video yesterday about squats and realized that I hadn't been going "past parallel". Today I did that and the whole exercise felt better. Still bloody hard, but better! I'm not up to using the bar yet, I'm using a 20# kettle bell in each hand so I think I'll be ready to use the olympic bar by 5A.

Great to see the progress that others have made, thanks for the inspiration! :flowerforyou:

HELLO! :happy: Glad to see you here. I will do 5B tomorrow so we aren't too far apart in our workouts.

My next workout I will finally drop my incline for pushups from a 45. You'll get there.
  • Jessica1274
    Options
    Hi,

You're doing great! Next workout I'll be ditching the smith machine and going *free*. I'm just hoping I can squat the Olympic bar. I'll be going lower than what I've been going, too. <biting nails>
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm already starting to believe that I'll be able to squat more, deadlift more, do some full pushups by the time the stage is done. Last week I could hardly move for all the soreness but this week it's all good :)
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Hit 100# on my squat and rows. Hopefully I can push to 100# on my deadlift and improve on my lat pull tonight.

congrats! those lat pull-downs are the hardest thing for me. Been stuck at 50# for 2 workouts.

Workout 5B was a mixes bag last night. Did a full set of deadlifts at 95#, then a set of 8 then 6 at 100#.
    I finally made it up to 50# on my last set of lat pulls. Yay me!