Stage 1

Options

Replies

• Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies

I haven't been too active recently...last week I have only been twice and so this week. I am ok with that though. My aim is 3 times a week but life got in the way so I am not stressing out. Tomorrow is B7 for me. I am excited! I will be joining my new gym on Sunday that has a squat rack. I managed ok without it so far but I am ready to go heavier so I need the squat rack. I am a bit intimidated by it too. Also I have to join a new gym so a new bunch of guys I have to deal with :wink:
    The guys in my gym kinda know me now and just leave me be...I am sure it'll be the same in the new one...

I was also pleasantly surprised when I had a shower today. I was shaving my legs and must have flexed my leg. And I could see that big muscle that runs down the top of the thigh (no clue what it's called) yes there is quite a bit of fat around it but I know it is there :smile:

Great to see so many ladies joining! Welcome all :flowerforyou:
  • grkathena82
    grkathena82 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I just completed workout 5A and I feel great! I am doing it from home. I can't lift nearly as much weight as you guys can with the squats and deadlifts, but I've come a long way. I got diagnosed with symphysis pubis dysfuction/pelvic girdle pain during my second pregancy and now, 21 months after delivery I am finally able to lift weights. I went from using only my body weight over the summer to now lifting 32 pounds with squats and deadlifts. It's a huge accomplishment!

Have you all lost weight and inches doing the program so far? I am definitely much more firm than I was 3 weeks ago when I started but I haven't seen a huge decrease in inches...just a little. I also see more definition in my arms and legs, and my clothes fit slightly better.I lost two pounds when I started my 15% cut, which is 1700 calories.

What have your experiences been?
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Well done on your improvement! I don't lift that heavy yet. I do about 40lbs for squats.
    So far I have lost inches...I will measure again on Wednesday and will update! I do feel firmer and I can feel muscle under my fat :smile:

I think patience is important. I am seeing results already but I keep reminding myself that the program is 6 months long and it has only been been 7 weeks.
  • grkathena82
    grkathena82 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's definitely exciting to feel and even see the muscles now! I just can't wait to get rid of the fat, but you are right...we must be patient. I'm in this for a long haul.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Ugh - ever have a lifting day when you felt you didn't work hard enough? That was today. I started A7 where it's just 8 reps. I was not sweating enough in my opinion. But I could NOT add any more weight to my squats. I did 70lbs and was thinking about reducing because I'm not 100% sure of my form now. Seated rows are boring me. I got my pushups down. Didn't do so great on my step ups; just couldn't get into a rhythm. By the way BEEPS - I TRIED to start "at the top" with my stepups...um, didn't work. LOL And I somehow I eeked out 3 sets of 15 prone jackknives (pretty miraculous for me). The last set was NOT pretty. I have to stop and reset every 4 or 5 reps -- is it just me??? My core needs the most work and these are soooo hard for me.

I was running out of time, so I did a quick 10 minute HIIT (one min low, one min high) and then left the gym after 45 min. I must leave by 7:15am due to hubby, kids, etc. I guess I'm going to set my clock 30 minutes earlier so I'm not rushing around.

Anyone else doing 8 reps??? I just don't like it. Almost done with Stage 1... I'm on the fence about doing the AMRAPs. If I do them, I'll be done with Stage 1 at the end of next week. Then I'm taking a week off, which means I'll start Stage 2 Oct 29th.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I just did my first week of Nrol4w last week and am excited about my workout this evening!

My husband has been spotting me on the squats so I've been very lucky to have him around. Not only that, but he has been doing the workout too lol. I'm so glad to see that he's finally seeing it my way. Lol, we all know resistance is futile ;-)

Today will be stage one, B2 :-)

So far I have dead lifted 105 lbs and squatted 60.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    just getting started today. excited and scared at the same time. Will grab a trainer at the gym to have them help me out with it all. I am scared of looking stupid to all the grunting dudes there. ;0)
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    just getting started today. excited and scared at the same time. Will grab a trainer at the gym to have them help me out with it all. I am scared of looking stupid to all the grunting dudes there. ;0)

I relate. Actually most serious lifters will appreciate that you are even trying. The others? Bah, who cares! Good luck!!
  • kmsairam
    Options
    My thoughts exactly Sue! I was a little intimidated at first, but it went away quickly. Now I see the exact same guys there every week and I'm not nearly as self conscious. Still don't see any women doing anything with the squat rack, but there are a few working on the machines.

Congrats to all the folks getting started. It's fun, isn't it? I've never in my life looked forward to working out until now.

MtnKat - you're so lucky your husband is doing it with you. I inspired my husband to buy the original New Rules, but he has yet to make it to the gym yet. *sigh*
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    starting next monday...really nervous! i dont want to look like the idiot girl who doesnt know what the crap shes doing in the weights area at the gym. (not to mention this is pretty much my first time in a gym).
  • jsextrasmooth
    jsextrasmooth Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I just did my first week of Nrol4w last week and am excited about my workout this evening!

My husband has been spotting me on the squats so I've been very lucky to have him around. Not only that, but he has been doing the workout too lol. I'm so glad to see that he's finally seeing it my way. Lol, we all know resistance is futile ;-)

Today will be stage one, B2 :-)

So far I have dead lifted 105 lbs and squatted 60.

I'm on the same workout as you, lifting day tomorrow. 105 lbs deadlift is amazing! I'm squatting 45lb (the empty oly bar). I don't have a spotter and don't plan to increase the squat weight until I'm completely happy with my form. Tomorrow I'll deadlift 55 lbs.

Myfitnessval (great username lol) - You're not alone! Get the trainer to show you the moves/equipment if you can, that's what they're there for - and good luck :)
  • gadenni34
    Options
    ok...I will admit I went into this first workout thinking it would be a breeze. or at least somewhat easy. I have been doing Body Pump with decent weights for almost 9 months. I have seen definition and lost 24 pounds and 23 inches since January(I was a roly poly) but this workout left me feeling like I had worked out no doubt. those prone jackknifes are killer....I was a wobbly thing today. I am sure that will get better.

I ran into a friend, whose body is ripped, and she sort of walked me through stuff and just made me feel more comfortable in general. looking forward to Wednesday.

a question....do you ever have lifting days where you don't eat all your cals? I feel like if I get my protein in then maybe I am ok? it is seldom that I don't want to eat so please don't roll your eyes...it is really not my norm. on lifting days I get just over 200 and it is looking like I may hit closer to 1700-1800 today. just wondering because I want to be sure to fuel my body and create the changes!
  • jsextrasmooth
    jsextrasmooth Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    a question....do you ever have lifting days where you don't eat all your cals? I feel like if I get my protein in then maybe I am ok? it is seldom that I don't want to eat so please don't roll your eyes...it is really not my norm. on lifting days I get just over 200 and it is looking like I may hit closer to 1700-1800 today. just wondering because I want to be sure to fuel my body and create the changes!

Yes I have had lifting days where I just couldn't manage to get the calories in. I also struggle to reach my protein target, but it's early days and I'll hopefully get better at managing diet with lifting as I progress through the program. *rolls eyes* lol

So 2nd week and today I did B2. Much happier with my form on the deadlift and had a good workout upping all my weights :D
  • _Tuyana_
    _Tuyana_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I did 5B yesterday and I'm really struggling with deadlifts. I upped my weight to 30kgs, my body can handle it except for one part. My hands are so weak I can't maintain a proper grip. On the third set I rushed through the last few reps because the barbell was slipping out of my fingers and I almost dropped it.

I know that I can get straps, but it seems silly as 30 kgs is only 60% of my own body weight and I should be able to hold it when I move up to chin-ups etc. Does anyone have any suggestions as to exercises that can improve the strength of my hand grip?

Thanks heaps!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I did 5B yesterday and I'm really struggling with deadlifts. I upped my weight to 30kgs, my body can handle it except for one part. My hands are so weak I can't maintain a proper grip. On the third set I rushed through the last few reps because the barbell was slipping out of my fingers and I almost dropped it.

I know that I can get straps, but it seems silly as 30 kgs is only 60% of my own body weight and I should be able to hold it when I move up to chin-ups etc. Does anyone have any suggestions as to exercises that can improve the strength of my hand grip?

Thanks heaps!

Get some weight lifting gloves or there's a special grip that some ladies recommend. NO STRAP!!! That could hurt your neck. I'm sure someone will mention it since I don't know it!
  • mermegan
    mermegan Posts: 143
    Options
    This could be a silly question/answer to your issue, but are you using one overhand, one underhand grip? That allowed me to lift much more. I'm getting crazy callouses on my hands so I'm deadlifting with gloves tonight. We'll see how it goes.
  • gadenni34
    Options
    This could be a silly question/answer to your issue, but are you using one overhand, one underhand grip? That allowed me to lift much more. I'm getting crazy callouses on my hands so I'm deadlifting with gloves tonight. We'll see how it goes.

the trainer at the Y showed me that today. it worked for my second set when I was already a little taxed. and was not too awkward.

I am afraid to use the gloves I bought a while ago because I don't want them to mess with my grip. I tried them a few times in my Pump class but did not get into them regularly. I think I may pull them out though once I am a little more comfortable with what I am doing.
  • mermegan
    mermegan Posts: 143
    Options
    I'm not sure I'm going to use them for deadlifting. But I think they'd help me when holding heavy DBs. Didn't make it tonight because I'm getting sick and my TOM hit today. Double boohoo!
  • kmsairam
    Options
    OMG. Every time I stop feeling sore, it starts all over again! I pushed my weights yesterday and did now my lats are seriously SORE.

That's all. :)
  • gadenni34
    Options
    OMG. Every time I stop feeling sore, it starts all over again! I pushed my weights yesterday and did now my lats are seriously SORE.

That's all. :)

funny! I just posted a question about soreness on the daily thread! lol

my soreness is just minor in the morning and tends to ramp up as the day goes along. yesterday was my first deadlift day and I am feeling it in my thighs, in the front, whereas after squats it tends to be my hamstrings that hurt. my shoulders, have been sore since Monday's workout and my abs...well at least I know they are there with all the pain they are sending out. lol