Not Working!!

Options
2»

Replies

• catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is a given--but what's your diet like? Lots of veggies, lean proteins, complex carbs? You're probably at or very close to a good weight, but you want to be even leaner and your body is resisting. The last few pounds are really stubborn. I'm about 10 years older than you, and I've found I have to be extraordinarily strict with diet. People on here argue about whether one can/should eat processed carbs like bread and pasta--some people claim it doesn't matter. Those people aren't over 40 :smile: Yeah, it does matter.

Bottom line: If you're gaining and not losing (and your measurements haven't changed) and this has been going on for several months, it sounds like you're eating too many calories for your activity level regardless of what the calculations say. I'd drop it down 10%, maintain current activity level, and clean up diet (if needed) and see what happens.
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is a given--but what's your diet like? Lots of veggies, lean proteins, complex carbs? You're probably at or very close to a good weight, but you want to be even leaner and your body is resisting. The last few pounds are really stubborn. I'm about 10 years older than you, and I've found I have to be extraordinarily strict with diet. People on here argue about whether one can/should eat processed carbs like bread and pasta--some people claim it doesn't matter. Those people aren't over 40 :smile: Yeah, it does matter.

Bottom line: If you're gaining and not losing (and your measurements haven't changed) and this has been going on for several months, it sounds like you're eating too many calories for your activity level regardless of what the calculations say. I'd drop it down 10%, maintain current activity level, and clean up diet (if needed) and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice. Yes I eat pretty clean. Not 100% and could do better. My diary is open. :) I'm working on lowering sugar and carbs now. Not easy.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I do cardio because I like feeling like I'm doing something good for my heart. The main focus of everything is fat loss though. I usually do workout once on weekends. Just cardio. A 45-60 min run. I just wanna lose weight. Toning would be great but right now the scale is making me insane.

You are doing something great for your heart. Good news, it doesn't take that much.

So how does this sound for a routine? 3 days lifting, 3 days cardio. The day of that workout really receives the focus. No jack of all trades master of none.

Sun - 45-60 min run aerobic or tempo zone, add intervals if desired
    Mon - 40 min upper body lifting, 10 min walk recovery zone before & after
    Tue - 45-60 min run aerobic zone
    Wed - 40 min lower body lifting, 10 min walk recovery zone before & after
    Thu - 45-60 min jog recovery zone
    Fri - 50 min full body lifting, 10 min walk recovery zone before & after
    Sat - rest

So in the spreadsheet TDEE calc 1A, that is Moderate weekly 190 min for lifting, Heavy weekly 180 min for cardio. Plus whatever hrs weekly you count being on feet for the little gal, which does count higher than sitting behind a desk, be honest. Because you left out the weekend 60 min in previous comments. Can't get good estimate if you forget a whole day of 60 min.

So that is enough cardio, 3 hrs a week? And a day for sprints if desired to feel the need for speed, day for aerobic level, day for recovery level.

And this will let you focus on the lifting on strength days, getting the most from them. After all, if you are going to do them, why not get the most from them, which includes recovery the day after done with as much strength as possible.
    If you need some upper or lower focus lifting routines to fill 40 min, there are plenty of selections here. Read instructions at bottom of that page.
    http://www.exrx.net/Workouts/Workout2UL.html

I've got many successfully following a program like this, basically if you want multi-focus, then split the days up and work with desire.
    But gotta nail that TDEE calc correctly too.
    In this case, the deficit method could be the avg between % deficit, and the 0.7% of body weight deficit. Because your focus is both.

Oh, if Sat is the cardio day, it changes things a bit. Need 2 recovery run days. No way around that.
    Sun - rest
    Mon - 50 min full body lifting, 10 min walk recovery zone before & after
    Tue - 45-60 min jog recovery zone
    Fri - 40 min upper body lifting, 10 min walk recovery zone before & after
    Sat - 45-60 min run aerobic or tempo zone, add intervals if desired
  • BluthLover
    Options
    I do cardio because I like feeling like I'm doing something good for my heart. The main focus of everything is fat loss though. I usually do workout once on weekends. Just cardio. A 45-60 min run. I just wanna lose weight. Toning would be great but right now the scale is making me insane.

You are doing something great for your heart. Good news, it doesn't take that much.

So how does this sound for a routine? 3 days lifting, 3 days cardio. The day of that workout really receives the focus. No jack of all trades master of none.

Sun - 45-60 min run aerobic or tempo zone, add intervals if desired
    Mon - 40 min upper body lifting, 10 min walk recovery zone before & after
    Tue - 45-60 min run aerobic zone
    Fri - 50 min full body lifting, 10 min walk recovery zone before & after
    Sat - rest

So in the spreadsheet TDEE calc 1A, that is Moderate weekly 190 min for lifting, Heavy weekly 180 min for cardio. Plus whatever hrs weekly you count being on feet for the little gal, which does count higher than sitting behind a desk, be honest. Because you left out the weekend 60 min in previous comments. Can't get good estimate if you forget a whole day of 60 min.

So that is enough cardio, 3 hrs a week? And a day for sprints if desired to feel the need for speed, day for aerobic level, day for recovery level.

And this will let you focus on the lifting on strength days, getting the most from them. After all, if you are going to do them, why not get the most from them, which includes recovery the day after done with as much strength as possible.
    If you need some upper or lower focus lifting routines to fill 40 min, there are plenty of selections here. Read instructions at bottom of that page.
    http://www.exrx.net/Workouts/Workout2UL.html

I've got many successfully following a program like this, basically if you want multi-focus, then split the days up and work with desire.
    But gotta nail that TDEE calc correctly too.
    In this case, the deficit method could be the avg between % deficit, and the 0.7% of body weight deficit. Because your focus is both.

Oh, if Sat is the cardio day, it changes things a bit. Need 2 recovery run days. No way around that.
    Sun - rest
    Mon - 50 min full body lifting, 10 min walk recovery zone before & after
    Tue - 45-60 min jog recovery zone
    Fri - 40 min upper body lifting, 10 min walk recovery zone before & after
    Sat - 45-60 min run aerobic or tempo zone, add intervals if desired

Thank you! Do you think my calories should still be 1800? Also what is the difference between recovery zone and aerobic zone and tempo zone? I have to admit I have no idea! Thank you so much for your help!
  • PHATFOBIA
    Options
    How radical are you prepared to be to achieve this as quickly as possible and are you prepared to give up the preconceived ideas that haven't been working for you so far?
  • BluthLover
    Options
    How radical are you prepared to be to achieve this as quickly as possible and are you prepared to give up the preconceived ideas that haven't been working for you so far?

I am unwilling to do anything that will damage my health. Both long and short term. What "preconceived" ideas?
  • heybales
    Options
    Thank you! Do you think my calories should still be 1800? Also what is the difference between recovery zone and aerobic zone and tempo zone? I have to admit I have no idea! Thank you so much for your help!

Probably not, since not doing nearly the same amount of cardio, which uses more calories during the workout than lifting.
    But lifting burns more fat during recovery, which no one needs to replenish!

Just use the spreadsheet TDEE calc 1A with the times.

The spreadsheet has a HRM tab for getting your zones with a little info from you. Fill out more info, you'll even have your own personal burn chart at the bottom based on HR. Which only works for the cardio, but you can estimate that now if desired.

Active Recovery zone is the inaptly name fat-burning zone, which actually is good for many things. Aerobic above that, Tempo above that.
  • cca1229
    cca1229 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing reference to a spreadsheet. Is there a link to it? Interesting info.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options

yes, please elaborate regarding the preconceived ideas...?
  • heybales
    Options
    I keep seeing reference to a spreadsheet. Is there a link to it? Interesting info.

One of the sticky topics for this group.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm

Or updated descriptions of what is in it and link here too.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/750920-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones
  • BluthLover
    Options

yes, please elaborate regarding the preconceived ideas...?

Yeah I have no idea what that meant and I have to admit it kind of annoyed me.
  • cca1229
    cca1229 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the links!
  • jenniekw
    jenniekw Posts: 104
    Options
    Surprised no one else caught this. If I read it correctly you are calculating under "light activity". That is 1-3 hours. You do 4 hours of cardio alone in a week and that isn't even including your workouts and lifting. Sounds like you need to go to moderate at least.
  • BluthLover
    Options
    Surprised no one else caught this. If I read it correctly you are calculating under "light activity". That is 1-3 hours. You do 4 hours of cardio alone in a week and that isn't even including your workouts and lifting. Sounds like you need to go to moderate at least.

You mean that's how I have MFP set?
  • heybales
    Options

I think confusion on which Activity level was being talked about.
    Jennie is talking about true TDEE calc that includes exercise.
    You were commenting on MFP setting and eating back exercise.

Should be different levels.
  • BluthLover
    Options

I think confusion on which Activity level was being talked about.
    Jennie is talking about true TDEE calc that includes exercise.
    You were commenting on MFP setting and eating back exercise.

Should be different levels.

Thanks heybales. :)