Introductions

Options

Replies

• ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    Hi guys,

Eleanor currently in Pgh here. Long time long distance runner, except for brief spurts which seemed to always include dieting. Recently started training for the Johnstown half (less than 2 weeks away!), and was mystified at my lack of progress either with my weight or speed. Came on here to "prove I'm eating fine or too much" to my husband, only to discover I'm not as clever as I thought. Happily, I'm now back on track and running better. Really glad to find more distance runners on here.
  • bostongeek
    bostongeek Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    hello!

I'm a short-distance runner (and currently recovering from injury so not running at all) but I want to move towards long-distance and I'm running a half in February. (eek!)
  • RunAlyndaRun
    RunAlyndaRun Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My name is Alynda and I used to run cross country wayyyyyy back in high school. I dislocated my patella then just quit running altogether. I just assumed I'm never be able to run again. Fast forward to this year (cough cough 25ish years later) and I decided to lose the baby weight. I started walking then found C25K. I signed up for my first 5K and ran it (walked about 5 minutes of it) on September 28th. It was such a great feeling. Hard to explain unless you've been there. I"m guessing that most of you have, though. I have some personal goals regarding 5k's before I move the the scale to 10k's, a half, or even a, gulp, full marathon. I just started acting as a running buddy for an eleven year old girl through a program called Girls on the Run and we're running a practice 5k next weekend and a "real" one in November.
  • kywh
    kywh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi--I have been running since high school, but there was a long stretch from about age 22-age 29 when I really didn't do much. As a result, I gained about 50 pounds and have been working steadily to get it back off. I started training for long distance events (half marathons, marathons, triathlons) about 5 years ago. I have been racing as an "athena" (the female equivalent to clydesdale) since that time. I am racing in the Ironman in Arizona in November and I am very close to my goal of being under the weight for the "athena" class. Other than IMAZ, I regularly run shorter distance triathlons and half marathons throughout the year.
  • pammee44
    pammee44 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi there everyone!

I'm Pam from Houston Texas. I ran track and cross country in high school and stopped for a while and missed it and would fall back on an occasional run when i was feeling the need and then tried to start it up again in my 30's. After my 2nd pregnancy and gaining 80 pounds in that pregnancy, i needed to get the pounds off. Well I was over 35 and it was hard. I am not almost 44 and STILL trying to get the weight off.

I'm not letting it discourage me (well on most days that is). I am running my first half marathon on December 2nd after many 10k's and marathon and half marathon relays this past year. Feel free to ask me any questions.
  • losingitforsummer
    losingitforsummer Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Steven. I am an adult onset runner. I started running 4 years ago and i'm hooked on running. I just finished my 4th marathon and i'm already planning on running another one in 2013. I love to exchange running advice with other runners so shoot me a friend request. Happy Running!
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi! The name is Marike, a distance runner from Pretoria, South Africa. I cannot run fast, but I can run far. :laugh:

I have danced, kickboxed, gone to gym, done aerobics and taebo'ed.

But I run because I love being alone in my head.
    I run because it makes me feel strong.
    I run because it makes me a friendlier wife and a more tolerant mother.
    I run because I love to eat carbs.
    I can live with the black toe nails and tan marks halfway across my thighs.
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Daniel from Spring, TX (just north of Houston). I'm 30 and just trying to get back into running after coming back from a knee injury. Unfortunatley I just tweaked my achilles and am resting this week hoping it's just a minor thing. But I am determined to come back and do what I love; run. I have my eye on a few shorter races but I hope to run the Woodland's half marathon early next year and ultimatley a well trained Houston marathon in 2014.

I've been looking for a good place to post questions, and provide what limited wisdom I have so hopefully this is the place.
  • Notyourrevolution
    Notyourrevolution Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Steven. I am an adult onset runner. I started running 4 years ago and i'm hooked on running. I just finished my 4th marathon and i'm already planning on running another one in 2013. I love to exchange running advice with other runners so shoot me a friend request. Happy Running!

Adult Onset Runner - favourite new term EVER! I'm stealing it Steven.

I'm Monique and also an AOR from rainy Vancouver BC. I started running casually about 3 years ago to do the local Newspaper's 10K with some friends and got bitten by the running bug. I've only run a few of 10Ks and one 1/2 (last February) but I'm trying to get more consistent with my routine and have several races on the horizon in the next 6 months: 10K in late November, 1/2 in February and aiming for my first marathon in early May next year.
  • cburky911
    cburky911 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm Chris. I started running 5K, 4 Mile and 5 Mile runs in 2008. In 2009 I started running longer distances but then lost the running bug. I found it again last year, and especially earlier this year. This year I've run 3 half marathons and am scheduled to run another half marathon in December. In February I'm scheduled to run my next (and possibly my last) full marathon. We'll see how I feel after that. I know that I'll continue to run half's, but not sure if I'll want to continue to do the full's.
  • Bossit
    Bossit Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi, my names Alexis.
    Started c25k 3 years ago. It's tough work but I've been enjoying running ever since.
    My half PB is 1:50:12, and my 5k PB is 22:51
    I'd love to get sub 20 for my 5k, and under 1:45 for my half. It will be a while till I get there.
    I'd like to train for a full marathon, but need to drop some weight before I consider starting. I'm at 202 right now.

I've given myself a challenge to run over a hundred miles each month for the year. So far Aug-Sep-Oct have been completed.
    I live in Ottawa Canada and will do my best to man up and push through winter and continue to run outdoors.
    I commute my 5k to work on foot, so I get an easy 10k of running in each day and save lots of time and money avoiding public transport.
  • lafemme705
    lafemme705 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this group! Running makes me happy... makes me feel like I can do just about anything!

I am a Southern girl through and through...so, hey ya'll! I began running 3 years ago and have completed 5 10k races. I am now ready to train for a half marathon. Problem is, I have post tibial tendonitis and it sidelined me for about 9 months. So guess what? I gained 20 pounds (along with the 30 I still have to lose) and now I'm starting all over again! Easy to get discouraged...I am totally open to any and all advice that you would like to throw my way.
  • olemissgal00als
    olemissgal00als Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Adrianne and i live in Memphis, TN. I have been running for 4 years but got serious about it this past year. I have completed 7 half marathons, 1 full and my 2nd full will be in December. Like most,I started walk/running shorter races and got hooked! I love medals and t-shirts!
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Have taken to running a few years ago to shed weight, but since the beginning of this year trying to push myself outdoors and run more seriously ( outside the gym). Hope to run a marathon some day. Looking forward to being inspired and doing it.
  • amandasteelman
    Options
    When I turned 34, I decided to run a half marathon. I got involved with a local training group and finished my 4th half in October. I LOVE running! My weight has not really changed much and hoping to make myself lighter to improve my speed! Would love some inspiration from other long distance runners who are losing weight too :)
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm Sam. Started walked in august, running in september. I've done 2 5k races, I have an 8K trail race next weekend. I have a 6K and an 8K road race in the spring. I'd like to do a half marathon next fall. I like to run outside, but I don't live in a safe neighborhood, so during the week I run on the dreadmill at the gym. Weekends I like to hit a park for a trail run.
  • boostnerd
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Fairly new to MFP. I'm not new to running at all, but I have not done it in 12 years or so. But here I am. I just quit smoking and am determined to run more.

Since I started to get back into shape I started doing obstacle races and did one reverse sprint triathlon.

Anyone who wants to feel free to add me as a friend.

Boostnerd
  • train4gcm
    train4gcm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Bill. From 2001 through 2007 I'd run 10 marathons, including two Bostons, but have only run halves since 2007. I recently retired from work and want to train for a spring 2013 local marathon. I want to build a base, drop 10 pounds and get set for the hard training in January and February. So far, using MFP has been a good start and hoping that it will help all the way till April 28.
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I'm new to running- just started this summer and did a 5K. I did cross-country in grade school and HATED it. Never thought that now I would LOVE running and run up to 5 miles at a time! I have plans to do a half-marathon late 2013, until then am going to do some 5Ks and 10Ks.
    My new-found love for running has definitely boosted my self-esteem. I'm am looking to lose about 10-20 more lbs, and plan on continuing to be a healthy happy runner for the rest of my life!
    I'm always looking for new friends on this site so feel free to add me!
  • Jccordova
    Options
    HI! My name is Jennifer from Texas. I started running 2 years ago. A friend wanted me to try a 5K and who would have thought I would have gotten addicted! I ran cross country my last year of high school, but that was 12 years ago. Anyways I hated long distances up until 2 years ago. The only reason I ran cross country in high school was because we had to in order to play basketball. Anways I have ran 12 5Ks, I've done the Warrior Dash 2 years and I ran my first half marathon in May 2012. I attempted my second half marathon in September 2012, but I had so much going. I was trying to lose weight, stress and my wedding was a week after the half. (crazy I know) I made it just past 10 miles and collapsed. I was emotionally able to finish, but physically I was not. My legs had enough and gave out on me. They cramped up so bad I couldn't stand up or move them. 2 volunteers helped me and I decided I wouldn't be able to finish and they gave me a ride back. I couldn't have been more disappointed in myself! 3 miles is all I had left to do and let me tell you I was contemplating crawling to the finish line, but sucked up my pride. Now I can't wait to do my next one. I am planning for March 2013 and hope to finish in 2 hours. (My first was 2:33) Then I will hopefully run a full marthon one day!