Bisexuals/Pansexuals

Options
124»

Replies

• Advaya
    Advaya Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I identify myself as poly-bi. I'm not 'out' in real life (except my husband and sister) but I've found the online world to be similar. People are constantly telling me that I need to "pick a side." And don't get me started on the poly thing. People just can't understand that you can love more than 1 person.

Exactly. I'm in a long-term relationship with a male but I identify as poly-pan (well, I tend to say queer because I prefer it and its more accurate). My partner is generally straight, but has found men attractive.

My partner and I are monogamous due to lack of opportunity. We are in the most rural, small town you could ever imagine. We definitely are outsiders here. If we were in a larger city then we would be far more open with this.
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I recently mentioned I'm bi and poly to an online gay community (a video game community), and I got a very strange reaction that I am still thinking about. Reading this thread has helped me make sense of it. I mean, it's still wierd that a queer community thinks I'm a little too queer, but at least I know it's a common reaction (not just me).

And it makes me think that if, in the future, gay/lesbians are rude to me about being bi, I'll just ask them, "So my sexuality makes you uncomfortable? How.... interesting."

I mean come on guys. If the queers won't accept me at face value, who else will? Some community. It was a pretty big letdown.

Yeah, it is a big bummer. I really love the LGBTQI community but sometimes feel like I am pushed into the closet there. Often kicking and screaming! I'm like, "seriously guys? Didn't someone just do this thing, that you are doing to me, to you? Like, just now?"

I don't think it's so complicated to be bi, pan, or gender blind... it's just another thing. You don't have to "get it" if you're not it! I always feel a little sad when I see people trumpeting the "I don't get the whole bi thing but I guess I would be willing to befriend a bisexual if I had to". Better than a punch in the face, but still not very welcoming. I mean, I don't ask that people provide a big bisexual orgy or anything, but we can be supportive, and sympathetic, and outraged in the face of discrimination, and not discriminate, and warmly include without eyebrows raised in weirded-out skepticism, right? I mean, at least we can do that? Like, all of us, for all of us?
  • m0mofw4r
    m0mofw4r Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This entire thread felt like a giant hug!

I also came out to my parents as gay during college and now here I am living with a guy - totally blows their mind. I was told the same thing, that I needed to pick a side (and it better be the right one, lol). I tend to use the term Bi more often than Pan but it's just about so much more than sex and whether or not my significant other can impregnate me. I have been in happy, fulfilled relationships with both sexes and that's that - so sue me!
  • Zvyezda
    Zvyezda Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think it's sad that bi/pan people get so much stick and a bad stigma. I also don't think it's fair to say that if you are straight or gay then you are some-how close-minded or just caring about a persons genitalia. I personally don't feel I have any degree of bisexuality because I am and always have been, solely attracted to women. That's not to say that I don't find men attractive and I'm sure I could still be turned on if I had sex with one but I could never have a relationship with one and can't imagine that I'd ever want to. To me men and women are SO different in many more ways than what's in their pants. I don't think I could have any romantic connection with a man because I just don't understand them and vice-versa. In any case just because I can't relate to bisexuality (as equally as I can't relate to being straight) doesn't mean that I can't appreciate it. I think that being comfortable with yourself has a lot to do with it, so I guess the people who do discriminate are the ones who have an issue with themselves.
  • spiregrain
    Options
    I think it's sad that bi/pan people get so much stick and a bad stigma. I also don't think it's fair to say that if you are straight or gay then you are some-how close-minded or just caring about a persons genitalia. I personally don't feel I have any degree of bisexuality because I am and always have been, solely attracted to women. That's not to say that I don't find men attractive and I'm sure I could still be turned on if I had sex with one but I could never have a relationship with one and can't imagine that I'd ever want to. To me men and women are SO different in many more ways than what's in their pants. I don't think I could have any romantic connection with a man because I just don't understand them and vice-versa. In any case just because I can't relate to bisexuality (as equally as I can't relate to being straight) doesn't mean that I can't appreciate it. I think that being comfortable with yourself has a lot to do with it, so I guess the people who do discriminate are the ones who have an issue with themselves.

^Like
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    Agree!! I don't feel bad for 'discriminating' when it comes to choosing a partner. My emotions and feelings chose it,notmy reason.

There used to be thing back in day in the UK called Pans People, I don't know what it was though. Just sounds a bit like Pan people. I don't think we really have the term pansexual in the UK much. Retro stuff!

My friends mum once called her up to ask if she (as in the mother herself) was bisexual or heterosexual, because it was on a form and she knew she was not homosexual but never heard those other terms, it was kind of funny when that happened!
    xxxx
  • spiregrain
    Options
    My friends mum once called her up to ask if she (as in the mother herself) was bisexual or heterosexual, because it was on a form and she knew she was not homosexual but never heard those other terms, it was kind of funny when that happened!
    xxxx

Haha amazing!

Fun etymological fact, the word 'heterosexual' came into the English language AFTER the word 'homosexual'. It seems that people felt a need to define this 'deviant orientation' but once they did so, they weren't sure what to call 'normal orientation' (of course I do not mean to say that I think these things are 'deviant' or 'normal' but that was the thinking at the time).
  • 0MissErin0
    0MissErin0 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm attracted to both.. but with women it's usually more sexual. I did date 1 woman whom I felt emotions for and had a long term relationship with.

I do tend to not see gender.. I just see beauty whether it's personality or physical beauty in either males or females. :love:

I do think bisexuals have a bad rap. We are looked at as greedy and confused. I'm neither. I just like what I like. :drinker:

^^^ Agree with this :) I am similar.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    it's cool, do it all the time.

what a weekend. my brain totally grew a wrinkle.

why the term "pan" though?

According to Wikipedia, "The prefix "pan" comes from an Ancient Greek term meaning "all" or "every"". I figured as much. It's usually some sort of Greek or Latin prefix.

I use it because I can be attracted to any gender or ID. I feel like pan covers anyone and everyone I may be attracted to, regardless of what they ID as, not just those who feel they are man or woman.
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    To be perfectly honest, I have no idea why bisexual and pansexual people get such bad reps. Maybe it's because some people are unwilling to attempt to relate? Maybe it's because they don't understand, and don't want to understand. I've sort of given up on trying to understand hateful people. It feels like a waste of time.

I've heard all sorts of myths about bisexual people, and being one myself, it hurts. Saying all bisexuals are cheaters is like saying all men are rapists or all dogs are vicious killers. I don't think sexuality has anything to do with the likelihood of someone being unfaithful. I've also heard the confused/greedy/slutty argument. No, I'm not confused- I can easily point out to you what people I'm attracted to. Of course I'm greedy about sex! I want all of it (from the person I'm with)! I did know a few girls in high school that were labeled 'sluts' and claimed to be bisexual, but I never saw them dating other girls. They did seem to date a lot of different guys, but I didn't know them that well so I don't judge. Also, it was high school, so they could have just been trying to sound rebellious.

I've only ever dated heterosexual males (damn my backwoods super-Christian hometown), but the two of them I've told were absolutely fine with it. The first was a little surprised, but got over it quickly and it really didn't change anything between us. The second (my current bf) knew before I told him, and is incredibly supportive. We have endless fun looking at ladies together, ha!

I've never experienced any negativity from other LGBT people, but then again, I don't really have any lesbian friends. I'm not out to a whole lot of people in real life- I'll discuss it if we're talking about sex, but I don't go up to people and announce myself. I think it's pretty silly to ostracize part of a group you're a member of. Bisexual and pansexual people face so many of the same struggles that I really can't wrap my head around why they would be discriminated against. Come on, we're all queer here!

Personally, I think pansexuals are really interesting. I'm quite a fan of the gender binary myself- I like my men MANLY and my women rather feminine (tomboy-ish and 'geeky' or 'nerdy' girls are some of my favorites). Personality does matter a lot to me, though- I might be extremely physically attracted to someone at first, and once I get to know them, they could become hideous. Or it could be the other way around.

For all the crap that comes with it, I genuinely enjoy being bi. It makes the scenery a lot more interesting, and like someone said earlier, doubles the chance of finding the perfect person for you. Mine just happened to be a guy <3
  • brittanykira
    brittanykira Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I just do not understand why people need a label. Why does it matter if a person is bi/pan/lesbian/gay/trans etc. A person should not be classified by their sexual preference. I know it happens all the time, but I hate that it does.

I only recently started labelling myself bi. I was in a relationship for 3 1/2 yrs with a woman and have never been with a man so it was hard to really pick a 'label'. Yes, I am interested in exploring a 'straight' relationship but no doubt that women catch my eye first. Regardless, I will be with whoever I fall in love with :)
  • Scottish_Lass
    Options
    I have always had a hard time for being Bi, and strangely enough the worst insults came from my exboyfriend, who in the end cheated on me with a guy. Talk a bout hypocritical! Guess he doth protested too much! Technically I identfy personally as a demisexual, I dont feel sexual attraction or desire unless I have a deep romantic connection with the person. That person can be of either gender, so I use bisexual as my label because it's easier than trying to explain demisexual to those who have never heard of it, and a lot of people have never heard of it! I do find people attractive at first glance, just not enough to actually want to sleep with them. In the end though, this bi/pan/demi/grey sexual identities get a bit confusing, even for those of us muddled in there.

Anyway, lets all just agree to be happy with who we are, and let everyone else decide who they want to be :):flowerforyou:
  • jesjosep
    Options
    ... tend to get kind of a bad rap. At least they do where i'm from. Especially the menfolk. Let's talk about it, shall we?

Why do you think that is?
    What are some of the things you've heard as a bisexual or as a partner of a bisexual?
    What were your reactions?
    We all have preferences and types, but why is it that portions of the hetero crowd tends to believe that since we're bisexual, then we must find EVERYONE attractive with no specific taste?

Background:

I come from an area of conservative beliefs. I have gone to religious schools my whole life (until now in college), and constantly told how being with someone of the same gender is a "sin". I have not told my family or most of my friends from back home. But here in college, things are so different. I am now in a much more accepting environment, and with my parents so far away, I have felt more comfortable to be myself. Almost everyone here who knows me, knows I'm bisexual.

One of my friends from back home (who has know I was bi for quite some time now, and whom I previously believed to be bi as well), recently told me she was actually pansexual. I did not understand what that meant and so she explained it and I have looked into it online. I still don't understand it completely but nevertheless I still accept it. What really annoys me is when people reject things simply because they don't understand. I do everything in my power not to be like that.

In response to your questions:

There could be so many reasons for the bad rap we get. As I previously touched on, people tend to not like things they don't understand. I get it, it's a basic human gut reaction. But in my opinion people need to use their brains. There is no threat from bi/pan/whatever sexuals.

I get asked a lot "Which gender do you prefer more?" or something along those lines. That is quite the difficult question for me to answer. I do not really prefer one or the other. They are both great to me. My focus is on the person, and my compatibility with them. I know a lot of people lean one way or the other, but the fact of the matter is, I just do not. Another thing I get asked a lot (and I see some people have already touched upon this) is "Have you had a threesome?" or "Wanna have a threesome?" In these cases, I simply tell the truth. I have not had a threesome, and I do not see it in my future, although I know plans change. If I were going to have a threesome, it would be because my partner asked me to. And if I was in a relationship with somebody, I wouldn't want to share them. My pansexual friend, on the other hand, had a threesome recently with another female (lesbian) and a male (trans).

A lot of my friends have readily accepted the fact that I am bisexual, especially the males. One of my friends once told me, "I love that I can talk about girls with you the same way I talk about them with guys." He was referring to the fact that he could ask my opinion on whether a girl was attractive or not. I find females attractive in the same way I find males attractive. This means I do not find EVERY female attractive, the same way I do not find every male attractive. Everyone, in my opinion, has some sort of taste, or preference to what they like. We're not just out there to sleep with everything that moves. We have certain things we need to feel that way for someone else.

Feel free, anyone, to leave a reply about any of this. We can have a discussion. I'll also reply to inbox messages if you prefer that method of communication.
  • uglydeuce
    uglydeuce Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I believe the reason bisexuality and pansexuality has a bad rap is because sometimes people use them as a catch all category and used as a tool to make some people draw attention to themselves. I've encountered someone who claimed she was bisexual then turned around to actually be "polybisexual" (quotations there for a reason) but only wanted a possessive sexual relationship with the female part while the male was enjoying the view and a normal relationship with the male but still wanted to be allowed to make out with any female at parties to try and draw the attention of men she'd later cheat on her boyfriend with... not really a good representation of polyamory or bisexuality in my opinion. But unfortunately there are those idiots out there who ruin the image for everyone.

Another example of someone ruining the image for others is that when I was growing up my mother told me at some point (I think in middle school) that bisexuals were wrong. She told me the reason for this was at one point she had a gay friend and he told her that no matter what they were wrong and that there is no way someone could like both genders. Instead that they were greedy and disgusting only wanting to engage in orgies and hurting others... Now, to me it sounds like someone is a bigot but regardless he ruined the views of at least one other individual which is enough.

For myself I tend to not label my sexuality or my gender for that matter because I don't want to be restricted since I view the human element to be always changing. I'm attracted to who ever I am attracted to and I am what ever I am. Finding a mate isn't that much of a concern in my life because I feel like if it fits right then it'll happen... which it has and I've found myself with a girl who can pretty much call herself gender queer but decides to say lesbian just because its not so damn confusing. I have mainly dated females or transmen because I personally have found compatible personalities in them. Then again I also have very bad social anxiety which I think ties into the whole thing pretty nicely and how males and females interact with someone who has my high level of anxiety.

I don't really get too much of a reaction for my sexuality because I leave it pretty undefined. Though being with a girl labels you as a lesbian in most peoples eyes so I've gotten remarks for that. Such as asking to watch, trying to both get hit on at the same time, but not only men are the ones who react. I have had women ask to make out to attract men (blegh). Or even friends who found out and refused to continue being friends with me because they assumed since I'm attracted to females and we are friends that OBVIOUSLY I'm attracted to them. (/facepalm). The one that really gets me though is at the gym because people suddenly become uncomfortable changing around you when you're dating someone of the same sex. All I want to say is "Trust me, hun, I have all the same parts - you're nothing special." </endrant>
  • MidlifeGlowUp
    MidlifeGlowUp Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I believe the reason bisexuality and pansexuality has a bad rap is because sometimes people use them as a catch all category and used as a tool to make some people draw attention to themselves. I've encountered someone who claimed she was bisexual then turned around to actually be "polybisexual" (quotations there for a reason) but only wanted a possessive sexual relationship with the female part while the male was enjoying the view and a normal relationship with the male but still wanted to be allowed to make out with any female at parties to try and draw the attention of men she'd later cheat on her boyfriend with... not really a good representation of polyamory or bisexuality in my opinion. But unfortunately there are those idiots out there who ruin the image for everyone.

I was listening to a radio show once that referred to these women as "bar-sexual" meaning that they put on a show in bars to attract male attention. We're all judged by their behavior, because they are openly whoring and they disregard the feelings of the females with whom they interact under false pretenses. This judgement, however, is leveled on all of us with no regard for the fact that the female bi community is also being victimized by these women. They don't just prey on lesbians. They go after any woman who is romantically inclined toward the feminine.
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I hate labels. I am Annie and I just fall in love and that is where I make my home lol. Seriously we are all human and we all love in our own way, right? If I had to identify myself then I would be Bisexual. I am married to a Lesbian woman. But I do hate the stick I get from straight people and my LGBT family. I do get told to make up my mind, even my wife jokes that she has to watch out for the men and the women around me. Then I correct and say "no baby, you only need to watch me and trust me." and she laughs and says she was 'only kidding!' I know she trusts me, but she puts me on this pedestal that I hate but love her for all at the same time.

Truth is, I have had 3 sexual partners in my 35 years, 2 male and her. I know it is cliche but I honestly feel that I do not fall in love with the genitals, I fall for the person, sex is good with either sex to me but it is not important. I am very loyal to who I am with and have NEVER cheated in my life, so I think I dispel so many Bi myths lol.

What I hate the most is when we go out and we get guys leering over us, asking if they can watch. Even an innocent kiss is scrutinsed and it is frustrating. I wish people could just be happy with themselves, not judge (especially if they don't understand) and just get on with things. Noone needs to know what she and she get up to, It's just crazy to me.

Another thing I hated is when I came out, everyone thought I fancied them. Even my Mother joked about how she would feel awkward getting changed in front of me! SERIOUSLY! I lost some female friends because they thought I would want them. Oh and my male friends thought I was kinky, like I was up for anything! I was like 'No sorry to disappoint, but I am the same old boring Annie.'

Saying that, my Mum still thinks I am going through a phase and that I will leave my wife when a 'handsome young man' will give me some attention, we have been married now for 3 and a half years! Anyway, I just wanted to say, each to their own and the world would be a nicer place if noone judged and everyone was treated equally. Have a great life guys xxx
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm a pansexual. I like labels that people pick for themselves. We need them to have to feel like we belong, at least for me and mine- we like them.

I've just liked people's personalities at the end of the day to be honest. And now in a stable relationship, I could say I'm more akin to joking I'm Norri-sexual (<3norribeans), then anything else really. But there is no body-gender identity out there that would stop me from loving someone. Ever. It all comes down to the person's honesty, and then our intellectual turn on's.
  • explodingalice
    explodingalice Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You guys. Hey, you guys. I just learned, just now, through this thread, that I am pansexual, as opposed to bisexual as I've always thought. I never knew what that word meant, but it SO fits.

Thanks! :)