Stage 1

Options

Replies

• CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Would it be possible to snag a set of dumbbells and go where the steps are located? Or vice versa?

That's what I do!:) I use a "step" with 5 "levels"...tried the bench the other day, but my shoe was leaving an indent and I felt too guilty:ohwell:
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Would it be possible to snag a set of dumbbells and go where the steps are located? Or vice versa?

I agree grab a step and take it to the weights.
  • reneelee
    Options
    I did 5B yesterday and I'm really struggling with deadlifts. I upped my weight to 30kgs, my body can handle it except for one part. My hands are so weak I can't maintain a proper grip. On the third set I rushed through the last few reps because the barbell was slipping out of my fingers and I almost dropped it.

I know that I can get straps, but it seems silly as 30 kgs is only 60% of my own body weight and I should be able to hold it when I move up to chin-ups etc. Does anyone have any suggestions as to exercises that can improve the strength of my hand grip?

Thanks heaps!

I have been reading a book STARTING STRENGHT BASIC BARBELL TRAINING 3RD ADDITION would highly recommend everyone reading this book. He dissects the moves, so you dont get injured later on. Any how he states while doing a deadlift you do one lift at a time, taking no bouce off the floor, if you take the bounce off the floor you have momentum and aren't truly lifting as heavy as you think. I'm sharring this, because maybe it will help with your grip situation.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Hi guys

I *know* I have read this somewhere today but blowed if I can find it - and my book is at home so can't look it up

What alternative exercise do I use for seated rows? Home gym so no seated row machine - which is disappointing because I can pull a heck of weight using one of those :bigsmile:

If someone can tell me I can You Tube it at work, watch a couple of times then jump on it as soon as I get home!

Super excited.

Oh and I've no balance ball either so might just do some crunches in stead????
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Found it! Dumbbell rows :)
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hey Nix, I would probably do planks instead of the swiss ball crunches and the jackknifes. There's probably other good suggestions to be made too..I'm going to do workout 8B (last of stage 1!) today or tomorrow. Then I might do another workout A because last week when I did it I was really sore in the glutes from yoga and couldn't push myself as much as I wanted to. I'm excited to start Stage 2 though!
  • catbrand
    catbrand Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I completed my first workout yesterday, apologies if all this has been said elsewhere, I did have a read, but not through all 5 parts of the thread!

I had to everything with 16kg dumbbells (8kg each) as that's all I have until I get my new barbell / dumbbell set delivered today or tomorrow which'll give me another 50kg to play with. But it turns out that was enough for everything except the step ups, which I need more weight and a higher step.

So onto the question... The whole thing took me 27 minutes including resting. Is that right? I expected it to take about an hour. I did each set twice and I felt like I was taking my time, maybe I wasn't taking enough time.

I definitely felt like I was using enough weight, the squats I know I was as I only managed 14 reps on the second set. The rows I may have been using too much weight, I want to experiment with less weight for better form and I've already mentioned the step ups. The push ups I was pleasantly surprised at as I always do knee push ups at kickboxing, but I'm just going straight for floor push ups and I managed 14 then 15, and the last one with the balance ball I had to modify as I don't have a ball (will get one today) but I'm not sore today, so I'm wondering what I've done wrong?? I definitely felt like I'd done a workout afterwards, but today I feel fine.

Am I expecting too much?
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    Day 1, done and dusted.
    I wasnted sure where to find everything, so I asked one of the gym staff members to show me where to find things, and how to use them. After he showed me where to find what I needed, I already felt a lot more confident, and once I started the 1st work out I felt like I belonged!
    Hah! Its crazy how our fears hold us back!
    Good luck to everyone else starting out.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'll be starting next week! I read my book eons ago, but wanted to wait until I was done with my races for this year. So here I am! I'm planning to review everything this week and figure out scheduling for this workout. I'm looking forward to getting started. I'm planning to take all measurements and take pics before day one and thereafter once a month. I think I might go ahead and put away the scale (I'm usually a daily weigh-in kind of gal) since I know my muscles will retain water and looking at the scale would probably just throw me off.

Can anyone tell me about how long it takes to get through workout A and B in Stage 1? It would help me with figuring out what days/times I can do this if I know about how long this will take me!
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I did workout A day 7(I think) today and was in and out in less than 45 minutes. That was with only 2 laps around the track warm up and a short stretch at the gym. and B takes me about the same. If I am in there longer it is typically only because I have to wait for the squat rack. Good luck and have fun! I love it!
  • stormystrickland
    stormystrickland Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!n I have a question about the first level. It is only taking me about 20 minutes to complete and I am doing both sets and everything. Is anyone else having this problem or should I do the whole thing again from start to finish after I complete it the first time?
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am on my last week of Stage 1 so I thought I'd chime in re the timing questions. It seems to take people various amounts of time, but for me I tend to finish Workout A a little quicker than Workout B, but am done with both between 30 and 40 minutes. When I got the second part of the Stage where you do three sets of 10 it was closer to the 40 min mark (or 45 of Workout B).

If you are just starting it is possible you are using weights that are too light for you, and therefore your sets are going very quickly. You might also not be resting the full 60 seconds between sets. BUT if you are getting your workout in and you feel like you got a lot out of it, then great! Who wants to spend an hour in the gym anyway?
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!n I have a question about the first level. It is only taking me about 20 minutes to complete and I am doing both sets and everything. Is anyone else having this problem or should I do the whole thing again from start to finish after I complete it the first time?

I would say you probably aren't taking the 60 second rest between sets? Maybe you're using to light of weights? I did that the first few times, but once I got up to a higher weight, I had to take the rests. It still only takes me about a half hour though.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Check your cadence on your reps. It should take you about 5 seconds to complete a full rep, so with squats for instance, count one-one-thousand-two-one-thousand down, then one-one-thousand-two-one-thousand up. That puts you at about 1:15 per set, or 2:15 including rest breaks. Adding in extra time for setup, it should take you at least 30 min for the full routine.

Btw HI, I'm Kat & I just joined the group! New to NROLFW but not new to lifting. Started with the A workout today & it was awesome. Can't wait to work my way up to the later stages!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I finished Stage 1 today! I lifted 3 days/week and lost 7 lbs eating at a deficit. Here are my stats:

Squats 45 lbs --> 85 lbs
    Seated Row 27.5 lbs --> 82 lbs
    Push Ups 15 regular --> 3 sets of 8 with feet elevated (on step or basu ball)
    Step Up 15 lb low step --> 17 lb weight bench
    Prone Jackknives (from hell) - barely eeking out 2 sets of 8 bad form --> 3 sets of 15 pretty decent (Note: my dismount aka falling off the ball stayed the same)

Deadlifts 25 lbs --> 90 lbs (also went from fearing to loving this lift!)
    Shoulder Press 12.5 lbs --> 25 lbs
    Wide Lat Pulldown 50 lbs --> 110 lbs
    Lunge 12.5 lbs --> 22 lbs
    Swiss Ball Crunch - body weight --> holding a 12 lb medicine ball

I am skipping AMRAPs so I can take off from lifting this week and start Stage 2 next Monday. I feel great!

Mmmkay I thought I was the only one who got off the ball like a drunk pony. Now I don't feel so bad. And yes, they are the devil.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    I finished Stage 1 today! I lifted 3 days/week and lost 7 lbs eating at a deficit. Here are my stats:

Squats 45 lbs --> 85 lbs
    Seated Row 27.5 lbs --> 82 lbs
    Push Ups 15 regular --> 3 sets of 8 with feet elevated (on step or basu ball)
    Step Up 15 lb low step --> 17 lb weight bench
    Prone Jackknives (from hell) - barely eeking out 2 sets of 8 bad form --> 3 sets of 15 pretty decent (Note: my dismount aka falling off the ball stayed the same)

Deadlifts 25 lbs --> 90 lbs (also went from fearing to loving this lift!)
    Shoulder Press 12.5 lbs --> 25 lbs
    Wide Lat Pulldown 50 lbs --> 110 lbs
    Lunge 12.5 lbs --> 22 lbs
    Swiss Ball Crunch - body weight --> holding a 12 lb medicine ball

I am skipping AMRAPs so I can take off from lifting this week and start Stage 2 next Monday. I feel great!

Mmmkay I thought I was the only one who got off the ball like a drunk pony. Now I don't feel so bad. And yes, they are the devil.

Hahaha - like a drunk pony. So true. Those prone jackknives are killer! I thought I was going to die. I also learned after the first set to tuck in my shirt. My belly was hanging out and flopping all over the first set - NOT pretty!

And that's some awesome progress just in stage one. Way to go!
  • jsextrasmooth
    jsextrasmooth Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Finished Stage 1 last night. Stats:

Squat 20kgs (Oly bar) -> 35kgs (77lbs)
    push ups 45 degress -> 10 degrees (bar across the bottom of the cable crossover machine)
    seated row 20kgs (44lbs) -> 30kgs (66lbs)
    Step ups 10kgs (22lbs) -> 20kgs (44lbs)
    prone jackknife 2 sets of 8 -> 3 sets of 15

Deadlift 20kgs (Oly bar) -> 37.5kgs (83lbs)
    DB shoulder pr 12kgs (26lbs) -> 20kgs (44lbs)
    Lat pulldown 20kgs (44lbs) -> 35kgs (77lbs)
    Lunges 10kgs (22lbs) -> 20kgs (44lbs)
    SB crunches 2 sets of 8 BW - 3 sets of 15 Extended with 5kg medicine ball

I've found that push ups hurt my skinny wrists if I attempt them on the floor but I can work just off the floor gripping a bar. Also get sore wrists doing piked prone jackknives (butt up). Anyone else suffer with this and found a workaround?

I've not gained or lost any weight on this program so far (60kgs/132lbs) but wasn't expecting to as only have a few pounds to lose.
    I'm seeing muscle definition in arms/shoulders/back/upper abs but my hips/thighs are my problem area.
    I have lost 1/2 inch off my waist and 1 inch off my spare tyre/muffin top/whatever you want to call it, which I'm very happy about! Continuing to eat at a target of TDEE -20%
    Not doing AMRAPS so will take the weekend off and decide on Monday whether to start Stage 2 or rest up a bit more.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    awesome stats! way to go!

I have a hard time with the prone jackknifes too. They kill my right wrist, I have carpal tunnel and tendonitis not sure if that is exactly why but I can normally get out one set just fine. the second set is tough and then the third I just end up doing reverse crunches. I know it is not the same but they hurt too bad.

that being said push ups don't bother me quite so much so I am not sure why that is but I hear you on the wrist pain in the jackknifes.
  • reneelee
    Options
    Finished stage 1B! Will be doing stage1 A tomorrow.

Stage 1 B
    Deadlift 50---105
    Dumbbell shoulder press 15---25
    Wide-grip lat
    Pull down 32---42.5
    Lung 20---35pound in each hand, my left hand always gave me trouble
    Would do 4 forward 4 backward, take a 60 second rest and
    Go do the swiss ball crunch then do the other leg.
    Swiss ball crunch 8---20 weighted ball
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I FINISHED STAGE 1!!! FINALLY!!!!! Here are my results:

Weight: lost 3lbs (this really is because I started carb cycling towards the end)
    1" gone off my hips
    1" gone off my waist
    1" gone off my thigh

Squats: 45lb oly bar ---- 80lbs on the oly bar
    Seated Row: 40lbs
    55 lbs
    Push ups: all modified --- 15 regular push ups with pretty good form
    Step ups: 10lbs on a small step ---- 15lbs on a BIG step
    Prone jacknives: could always do these
    Deadlift: 45lb oly bar ---- 80lbs on the oly bar
    Shoulder press: 15lb dumbbells --- 20lb dumbbells
    Lat pull down: 40lbs --- 55lbs